General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

About to lower car with Sprint/AGXs...a couple ?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 08:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

About to lower car with Sprint/AGXs...a couple ?s

Alright so I ordered the AGXs and Sprints. Gotta have the drop baby!

Anyway...I'm getting a friend to install it. Are there any other parts I need to order or anything I need to tell him? I've heard about wire wrap, dust boots, strut mounts, etc... What else (if anything) do I need to order and what do I need to tell him before he installs my suspension?
Old 08-10-2002, 08:19 PM

When I did mine, I ordered the KYB dust boots because my OEM ones were shot. I also did the wire wrap. There's a picture of the wrap on my springs on my CarDomain page if you wanna check it out. Some people only wrap the bottom coils on the front springs, but I wrapped the entire spring on all four springs just to be sure that I got no unwanted noise. So far, I have no complaints.

Later,
-Nick
Old 08-10-2002, 08:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Nick97SE
When I did mine, I ordered the KYB dust boots because my OEM ones were shot. I also did the wire wrap. There's a picture of the wrap on my springs on my CarDomain page if you wanna check it out. Some people only wrap the bottom coils on the front springs, but I wrapped the entire spring on all four springs just to be sure that I got no unwanted noise. So far, I have no complaints.

Later,
-Nick
What are the dustboots and how do I know if mine need to be replaced? Can I access them without removing the spring/strut setup or do they go ontop/below these. Also will my stock ones blow if I don't change them?
Thanks,
-Cyrus
Old 08-10-2002, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus

What are the dustboots and how do I know if mine need to be replaced? Can I access them without removing the spring/strut setup or do they go ontop/below these. Also will my stock ones blow if I don't change them?
Thanks,
-Cyrus
The dust boots are the rubber "boot" that covers the shock to protect it from dirt. They go underneath the spring. My stock ones were bad when I replaced my suspesion. They literally fell apart in my hands when I took them off. It isn't necessary to replace them, but if the stock ones are ripped, I'd recommend it so no dirt gets into the shock. You have to take apart the whole suspension to get to them though.

Later,
-Nick
Old 08-10-2002, 08:41 PM

The dust boots are the rubber "boot" that covers the shock to protect it from dirt. They go underneath the spring. My stock ones were bad when I replaced my suspesion. They literally fell apart in my hands when I took them off. It isn't necessary to replace them, but if the stock ones are ripped, I'd recommend it so no dirt gets into the shock. You have to take apart the whole suspension to get to them though.

Later,
-Nick
Thanks!
-Cyrus
Old 08-10-2002, 10:34 PM

Later,
-Nick
Thanks for the info...Where did you get your wire wrap? And did the KYB dust boots eliminate the need to cut the bump stops?
Old 08-11-2002, 07:05 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: About to lower car with Sprint/AGXs...a couple ?s

Originally posted by sidewinder740
Alright so I ordered the AGXs and Sprints. Gotta have the drop baby!

Anyway...I'm getting a friend to install it. Are there any other parts I need to order or anything I need to tell him? I've heard about wire wrap, dust boots, strut mounts, etc... What else (if anything) do I need to order and what do I need to tell him before he installs my suspension?
Are you going to cut a coil in the rear to make it sit more even? If so, make sure it's a top coil you chop off. If you don't want to got for a full one, 1/2 coil will work in the rears also.
Old 08-11-2002, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by sidewinder740

Thanks for the info...Where did you get your wire wrap? And did the KYB dust boots eliminate the need to cut the bump stops?
I bought the wire wrap from Radio Shack. The KYB bump stops are already shortened so there is no need to cut them.

Later,
-Nick
Old 08-11-2002, 10:14 AM

http://staff.jccc.net/dlee/maxima/suspension/ if any of these parts are worn they need to replaced.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:21 AM

Re: Re: About to lower car with Sprint/AGXs...a couple ?s

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Are you going to cut a coil in the rear to make it sit more even? If so, make sure it's a top coil you chop off. If you don't want to got for a full one, 1/2 coil will work in the rears also.
Im looking to cut one of the coils off my sprints. Does it look better and even it out? Or should i cut 2 coils. Thanks
Old 08-11-2002, 11:53 AM

SOmeone just had this done at a local shop here. He noticed the FRONT was lower than the rear by a small margin...I feel this is probably due to the stiffness of the AGX rear shocks. He likes it a lot so far.
Old 08-11-2002, 01:32 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

front is lower, not because of the shocks, shocks have nothing to do with height. If you want an even drop, do a search, severl have cut a coil or 2 in the rear. You do NOT need to wrap it. Yes, you will need to get an alignment. Don't forget to trim your bumpstops. I didn't trim mine and I have no suspension travel and it sucks. let me know if you have any questions.
Old 08-11-2002, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by seximagtr
front is lower, not because of the shocks, shocks have nothing to do with height. If you want an even drop, do a search, severl have cut a coil or 2 in the rear. You do NOT need to wrap it. Yes, you will need to get an alignment. Don't forget to trim your bumpstops. I didn't trim mine and I have no suspension travel and it sucks. let me know if you have any questions.
Do you have any noise since you didn't wrap your springs?
Old 08-11-2002, 04:26 PM

I bought the wire wrap from Radio Shack. The KYB bump stops are already shortened so there is no need to cut them.

Later,
-Nick
What was the wire wrap called? And did you have any problems setting up on the sturt mount correctly?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Old 08-11-2002, 05:11 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Re: Re: About to lower car with Sprint/AGXs...a couple ?s

Originally posted by BC_95GLE

Im looking to cut one of the coils off my sprints. Does it look better and even it out? Or should i cut 2 coils. Thanks
Cut 1/2 or 1 full one, do not cut 2!
Old 08-11-2002, 06:15 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Re: Re: Re: Re: About to lower car with Sprint/AGXs...a couple ?s

I have no noise at all from the contacting of the coils. The only noise I had was my strut towers not being torqued enough so that the seating was moving.
Old 08-11-2002, 06:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: About to lower car with Sprint/AGXs...a couple ?s

Originally posted by seximagtr
I have no noise at all from the contacting of the coils. The only noise I had was my strut towers not being torqued enough so that the seating was moving.
hehe, been there, not torqued that. I was doing my first drive and I kept hearing this clunking noise. Scared the crap outta me. Anyways, make sure everything is torqued down to the specs.