General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

who hates the sloppyness in their 5speed??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 11:26 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

who hates the sloppyness in their 5speed??

you guys ever notice that as the car heats up or you drive more the clutch feels sloppy? ive noticed this on a few cars sometimes but alot with my Max. I love the feel and engagement point when the car is cold-semi cold but once it gets hot it sucks donkey.
anyways, some of my buddies seem to think replacing the rubber line with a SS line would improve it alot. Ive driven some cars with SS clutch line and it felt alot better then stock. Anyone interested? ive posted this before but no one seems to be very interseted.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:03 AM

Re: who hates the sloppyness in their 5speed??

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
you guys ever notice that as the car heats up or you drive more the clutch feels sloppy? ive noticed this on a few cars sometimes but alot with my Max. I love the feel and engagement point when the car is cold-semi cold but once it gets hot it sucks donkey.
anyways, some of my buddies seem to think replacing the rubber line with a SS line would improve it alot. Ive driven some cars with SS clutch line and it felt alot better then stock. Anyone interested? ive posted this before but no one seems to be very interseted.
I know exactly what your talking about. The clutch just feels "soft" almost like brake fade(Bad analogy).
Old 08-14-2002, 01:15 AM

Yes I would be very interested. It happens to me when I drive more than 50 miles and its above 90 F
Old 08-14-2002, 02:40 AM

my car used to be like that with my factory clutch....but with the ACT it's perfect all the time...
Old 08-14-2002, 03:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I agree with the sloppy feel. I was just about to complain about that because I was in VERY heavy traffic today, and it was getting a little annoying.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:33 AM

SS line would probably help but the best thing you can do is completely change the fluid. I would use a DOT 4 like Castrol LMA - it doesn't soak up water like DOT3.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:38 AM

Hey if anyone wants to trade laet me know Try having an automatic,
Old 08-14-2002, 06:56 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

I was in before and I'd be in again!
Old 08-14-2002, 08:05 AM
I'm so hood

BriGuy - what all did you install/upgrade when you did the clutch install? Anything more than clutch/resurface flywheel?

I agree with you guys. Hot days or extended periods of city driving in warm days (even yesterday when it was in the 70s...and it was so smooth to begin with!) make my clutch rumble/vibrate right around the release point, and also, quick hesitation randomly from low to mid range shows up sometimes. I believe it happens about the same when it's cold enough out too, but I forget (only been through one winter with the max). Wonder if I should look at new lines/fluid when I change out the clutch sometime in the near future.

If anyone changes w/SS lines, I'd definitely appreciate a write-up review!
Old 08-14-2002, 10:57 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

im already running Dot4 and it sitll does it

ok here's the deal, on the Max there is this stupid block in the middle of the clutch line. it does nothing. so if someone can find the right length from the slave to the hard line it should work. i measured it before but forgot, it should be pretty simple. anyone care to try this task? im way too lazy to spend my time on something but i really want it done....anyone??