General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need NOS pros. Trying a 70 shot blind?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 03:02 PM
DOM

Need NOS pros. Trying a 70 shot blind?

I just got my NOS kit put in and it is a 70 shot. I don't have the gauges in yet because I can't find a fuel pressure gauge. I have the walboro high pressure fuel pump in. Will I be fine or shot I get the gauges in. The guy putting in the kit says that gauges are not that important because by the time you see that it is running lean, your engine is blown. Is he right? I also have my MSD window switch waiting at home to be modified to work in my car.

I also have spectrum gauges from R1 racing but they do not have a fuel pressure gauge. Can I use the oil pressure gauge instead as the fuel pressure?

I am worried with missing my shift and blowing up my car. Can anyone explain this better for me and give me a way to protect myself from destroying my car? My girlfriend wants to try it tonight.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Need NOS pros. Trying a 70 shot blind?

Originally posted by DOM
I just got my NOS kit put in and it is a 70 shot. I don't have the gauges in yet because I can't find a fuel pressure gauge. I have the walboro high pressure fuel pump in. Will I be fine or shot I get the gauges in. The guy putting in the kit says that gauges are not that important because by the time you see that it is running lean, your engine is blown. Is he right? I also have my MSD window switch waiting at home to be modified to work in my car.

I also have spectrum gauges from R1 racing but they do not have a fuel pressure gauge. Can I use the oil pressure gauge instead as the fuel pressure?

I am worried with missing my shift and blowing up my car. Can anyone explain this better for me and give me a way to protect myself from destroying my car? My girlfriend wants to try it tonight.
i've used an oil pressure gauge in place of a fuel pressure gauge before, it works. it was just a temporary deal though. as long as you've got the right jet in the bypass tee, you should be alright. relatively speaking, a 70 shot isn't alot anyway. i ran blind for the longest time - up to an 85 shot. just pull the spark plugs afterwards to make sure you aren't detonating or running too lean. (btw, i'm not advocating running blind and i'm not accepting any responibility, lol)
Old 08-14-2002, 03:28 PM
DOM

Now the guy at the shop said that i can't use the oil pressure gauge for fuel pressure. He also said they don't have electrical gauges for fuel pressure but I don't believe him. I was thinking about the volume of oil and gasoline. There isn't a problem between the 2 thicknesses of gas and oil?

What about the mis-shifting?
Old 08-14-2002, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by DOM
Now the guy at the shop said that i can't use the oil pressure gauge for fuel pressure. He also said they don't have electrical gauges for fuel pressure but I don't believe him. I was thinking about the volume of oil and gasoline. There isn't a problem between the 2 thicknesses of gas and oil?

What about the mis-shifting?
Autometer has elctronic fuel guages and I'm pretty sure other companies do also.

Just make sure that you don't keep it floored when shifting or just depress about 3/4 throttle till your sure its in gear. Or you can get a window switch.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:41 PM
DOM

How about police issues. Do i need to disconnect the line from the bottle to make it legal just incase?
Old 08-14-2002, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by DOM
How about police issues. Do i need to disconnect the line from the bottle to make it legal just incase?
I know that it's illegal but I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it. I would imagine that the only reason you get a ticket for it is if it was on when they found it.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by DOM
Supposedly in CA it is legal to have, illegal to use. . . Although if they can't prove you were using it they will be sure to figure out other ways to fine you.