General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I need HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 05:18 PM

I need HELP!!

I have a 99 SE manual, the problem is that while Im driving the car would hesitate/loose power for a second or two then it would drive as normal. The last couple of days the problem has gotten worst to the point where it will not drive past 2000rpm with out cutting out. So I took it into the dealer to see what was going on. They said that it was the Mass Airflow sensor. the senor showed that it was failing on the diagnostic test. This is the really bad part they said that the part cost $526.02 and $190.00 for labor. Can anyone help me fix this problem with out spending so much money.

Can I get a sensor off of another max(from a junk yard) and replace the bad sensor? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-18-2002, 05:24 PM

Re: I need HELP!!

Originally posted by SD99SE-LMAX
I have a 99 SE manual, the problem is that while Im driving the car would hesitate/loose power for a second or two then it would drive as normal. The last couple of days the problem has gotten worst to the point where it will not drive past 2000rpm with out cutting out. So I took it into the dealer to see what was going on. They said that it was the Mass Airflow sensor. the senor showed that it was failing on the diagnostic test. This is the really bad part they said that the part cost $526.02 and $190.00 for labor. Can anyone help me fix this problem with out spending so much money.

Can I get a sensor off of another max(from a junk yard) and replace the bad sensor? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
that sounds like a maf sensor problem. yes you can swap them out if you can find another. $190 for labor? it only takes about 5 min to swap one out so I say just get the new part and do it at home
Old 08-18-2002, 05:25 PM

Re: Re: I need HELP!!

Originally posted by Nismo

that sounds like a maf sensor problem. yes you can swap them out if you can find another. $190 for labor? it only takes about 5 min to swap one out so I say just get the new part and do it at home
After swapping out the bad sensor, do I have to reset the computer?
Old 08-18-2002, 05:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: I need HELP!!

After swapping out the bad sensor, do I have to reset the computer?
pretty shure that it would adjust to the new sensor but I would do it anyways since it only takes less than a minute
Old 08-18-2002, 05:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I need HELP!!

pretty shure that it would adjust to the new sensor but I would do it anyways since it only takes less than a minute
Would you happen to know a place that would sell a MAF sensor?
Old 08-18-2002, 05:45 PM

Did you have an aftermarket intake or K&N air filter by chance?
Old 08-18-2002, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Green 2kSE
Did you have an aftermarket intake or K&N air filter by chance?
]

Yes, I have a Jim Wolf Pop charger.
Old 08-18-2002, 05:48 PM

]

Yes, I have a Jim Wolf Pop charger.
and have you ever cleaned the filter yet? you probably over-oiled it which caused the maf problem
Old 08-18-2002, 05:49 PM

and have you ever cleaned the filter yet? you probably over-oiled it which caused the maf problem
I cleaned it about 2 months ago, and I oiled it lightly. Should I also get a new filter as well as the Maf sensor? Also is it possible to some how clean or fix my current maf sensor?

Could I get a sensor from a newer model maxima or does it have to be from a same year?
Old 08-18-2002, 06:02 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

try a junk yard
Old 08-19-2002, 02:13 AM

I cleaned it about 2 months ago, and I oiled it lightly. Should I also get a new filter as well as the Maf sensor? Also is it possible to some how clean or fix my current maf sensor?

Could I get a sensor from a newer model maxima or does it have to be from a same year?
one from a 95-99 should work
Old 08-19-2002, 05:18 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

I've got a maf sensor for sale ..... the sensor itself works well, one edge where a bolt says had cracked off, but it is functional, and there are no leaks at all. It's never thrown a code so I assume it works fine. PM or email me if your interested.
Old 08-19-2002, 05:39 AM

The MAFS just went on my '90 SE. The car wouldn't run at all. My mechanic buddy picked one up for around $300 (his cost) but it turned out to be a rebuild. Anyway, the car ran great - for a day - and then the 'new' MAFS went! The car will not rev beyond 2K RPM. Luckily, the car has enough torque to make it back to my friend's garage.
If I were you, I'd order a new MAFS from Matt at Tustin Nissan and replace it yourself. His price will probably be around $400 for the part. The # is 1-800-225-2905 -ask for Matt Tue-Sat 8-5 PST.
Good luck.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by PSYCHOMAX
The MAFS just went on my '90 SE. The car wouldn't run at all. My mechanic buddy picked one up for around $300 (his cost) but it turned out to be a rebuild. Anyway, the car ran great - for a day - and then the 'new' MAFS went! The car will not rev beyond 2K RPM. Luckily, the car has enough torque to make it back to my friend's garage.
If I were you, I'd order a new MAFS from Matt at Tustin Nissan and replace it yourself. His price will probably be around $400 for the part. The # is 1-800-225-2905 -ask for Matt Tue-Sat 8-5 PST.
Good luck.
Sounds like you have experienced my problem exactly. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-19-2002, 12:30 PM
!OG SNES OG!

Question for you -

By lose power, do you mean while normally driving (with steady gas pedal pressure, or in cruise for example), or when stepping on the gas to accelerate?

I too have a Stillen intake, but it's fairly new (2 months), and my problem only occurs when I'm pressing the gas hard to pass. Find that my engine doesn't respond properly. I get a surge in RPMs, then a drop to where I was when I stepped on the gas, then the power kicks in and I accelerate and the RPMs increase. I'm also finding that the RPMs tend to cycle at about 4000 when stepping on the gas, not going higher than that, but revving/dropping/revving/dropping, while my speed increases.

Bottom line, it might be the clutch slipping for me (I have an ACT on the way to me as we speak), but if your problem is not when you're accelerating, but normal driving, then might be the MAF.

Just thought I'd share my situation, see if that sounds like what is up with yours, and if it is, then maybe I've misdiagnosed my problem, or vice versa.

Mike
Old 08-19-2002, 02:50 PM

Re: I need HELP!!

$190 bucks for labor!!!!!! They're crazzy man it take about 5-10 minutes to replace. Try using car-parts.com they have a ton of stuff on there. But before you start on it disconnect negative battery terminal so you don't accidently fry it!!
Old 08-19-2002, 04:13 PM

Re: Re: I need HELP!!

Originally posted by NOMAD92SE

$190 bucks for labor!!!!!! They're crazzy man it take about 5-10 minutes to replace. Try using car-parts.com they have a ton of stuff on there. But before you start on it disconnect negative battery terminal so you don't accidently fry it!!
The MAXIMA GODS have smiled on me. A buddy of mine got into an accident a while back and he stripped the entire front end. i call him up and asked him where do he think I should go to buy one and he said that he had one sitting at his house. I gave him $20 and now my car is running perfectly!!! The only thing is that the check light is on. I figure it will go off in a day or two. But thank god he had one!!