General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

speeding ticket 86mph in 55 ....help

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 07:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

speeding ticket 86mph in 55 ....help

I was pulled over at 2am in the morning on I-285 (around chamblee tucker rd. for GA guys). Police said he clocked me with laser for going 86mph in a 55 zone. it was a clear night, no rain or anything. There were 2 cars in front of me going at the same speed, but I was the one that got pulled over. Maybe its b/c my headlights are the brightest (HID). Any suggestions here? thanks
Old 08-22-2002, 07:39 PM

If you can't pay the fine, don't do the crime.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:41 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

You're guilty.

Do what people who don't want to be responsible do:

Get a lawyer.

Several hundred dollars later, you'll probably get a reduced charge....unless you've been bad before.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:42 PM

i'm not positive, but i thought they could use laser guns at night???
Old 08-22-2002, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by bert
If you can't pay the fine, don't do the crime.
thx for your no help. I didn't say I don't have the money to pay for it, I simply wanted any suggestions out there that can actually help out with this situation.

btw, anybody out there know anything about pleading no contest? I did that about 4 yrs ago so my license wouldn't get suspended. (In GA if you are under 21 and get pulled over for going over 24+mph they'll suspend your license). someone told me you can only plead no contest everything 3 yrs here in ga. is that true?
Old 08-22-2002, 07:46 PM

You should try and get it reduced to a lower speed. I got a ticket for going 70mph in a 55 zone very late night on a country road. I worked something out with one of the district attorneys in the area and got it reduced to 64mph, so it wouldn't make my insurance go up so much. It cost me $100 the day I went to court though. But no points on my license, is the good news. Also there are ways of beating a ticket, there are lawyers that deal specifically with this. Like if some piece of information was left off of the ticket or maybe the cop's speed detection device hadn't been serviced/inspected in a long time. Just some thoughts on the matter. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:52 PM

you guys are sad.. In jax,Fl you more or less get one ticket a year for free.. Show up in court and pay the fine and they waive the points and the ticket.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:59 PM

Many jurisdictions will give you a freebie/year, but it's usually for 9mph over, or less.

86 in a 55? In NC, I think that could end up costing a license.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:01 PM

a friend of mine told me he is surprise that the police didn't take me to jail, and he said i'm definitely going to lose my license? I'm 22 btw if that will effect anything
Old 08-22-2002, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by SkyDaver
Many jurisdictions will give you a freebie/year, but it's usually for 9mph over, or less.

86 in a 55? In NC, I think that could end up costing a license.
yeah, they are kinda strict around here aren't they. I like that freebie ticket idea, we need that up here!
Old 08-22-2002, 08:26 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by pezking4
Also there are ways of beating a ticket... Like if some piece of information was left off of the ticket or maybe the cop's speed detection device hadn't been serviced/inspected in a long time.
get a lawyer or don't - fight it or don't - learn about no contest and how often you can plead it... just DON'T rely on the above information. It's crap and it's a sure bet to a full fine plus court costs.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:40 PM

Here is all the info you need to fight a speeding ticket! You can email them for questions as well. Each state has different laws that you need to check but this applies to all.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok/neurofee...tic.html#notes

Look at the bottom there is more sites for everyone to enjoy!
Old 08-22-2002, 08:43 PM

Also

http://speeding.skyline.net/plead.html

will help you thinking about a plea
Old 08-22-2002, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe

get a lawyer or don't - fight it or don't - learn about no contest and how often you can plead it... just DON'T rely on the above information. It's crap and it's a sure bet to a full fine plus court costs.
then why do people get out of tickets for those reasons?
Old 08-22-2002, 10:44 PM

Anyone else noticed the sudden amount of posts about people getting tickets in just the past day, seems like we all need to slow down a little bit.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:56 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Fast! Vrooom!

But seriously, by the hands of lady luck, you can contest your ticket and hope to God that the police officer is on vacation or something. If he doesn't show then hoorah for you. I think. Then again I've never been CAUGHT speeding (knocks on wood)
Old 08-23-2002, 04:46 AM
Blu
the tits

plead improper equipment tell them your speedo was screwed up and you were just keeping up with flow of traffic. An old guy I used to work with told me that a cop told him about pleading improper equipment and 9 times out of 10 they will let you off. But I'm not talking from experience I just passing on facts from what I was told. Good Luck
Old 08-23-2002, 06:00 AM
VQ Wizard

In Charlotte this is how the system works. You go to your scheduled court aperance and you wait to speak with the DA. He asks you to enter a plea. If you plea guilty then the settlemant arrangments are made. If you plea not guilty they schedule you another court date with another DA and a judge. You plea not guilty and wait. The DA will approach you and offer you a compromise. Usually it's a reduced speed or violation. You then take that and run.

Of course the court system in GA could be much different. But the same basic rules apply. Usualy if you plea not guilty the DA will offer you an alternative fine. And if you're certainly guilty you should take what he gives you. The trick is to speak with the DA one way or another. But don't ever pay a fine outright that hasn't been reduced.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:00 AM

I was under the impression that going 30mph over a speedlimit could get your license suspended. It's 50km/h here in canada, but that's roughly the same speed. The fact that the cop wrote you up for exactly *31* over seems pretty fishy to me. If I were you I'd have asked to see the laser, cause it sounds like he was making **** up.

You should definately get a lawyer for this, it'll cost you as much as the ticket to do so, but at least you won't get it suspended. The standard law practices can argue down the accuracy of a ticket for at least 10% of the speed limit. Which would give you, 81 in a 55. 26mph over is still very high, but as far as I know, you wouldn't be in I'm-getting-suspended boat. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:16 AM
It's chrome alright...

sorry, but in Mass and NH (area where I live) doing that on the stand will get you full fine and probably court costs. Maybe it's different where you live (sidenote: so it's probably better to post these "got a ticket" things in the regional forums because the rules are different from state to state.

In NH the 'prosector' is usually another cop. The cop that gave you the ticket does NOT need to be present. The 'prosecutor' also stands in for the cop who gave you the ticket and he uses the ticket as evidence. He'll also probably have a photocopied sheet of their recalibration procedures and will hand it to you when you take the stand and advise "you can't use miscalibration as a defense." He will enter the ticket as evidence, then standing in for the cop will testify that you were speeding.

If there's something wrong on the ticket ("but he spelled my name wrong!") doesn't matter. He only needs to make a good-faith effort and get *something* right that identifies you. If he gets your name wrong, they'll say the license plate is right. If they get the license plate wrong, they'll say your name is right. If they get both wrong... well, actually I'm not sure about that one... hmm.

Ultimately it comes down to this. Tickets are a big business, and getting out of tickets is also a big business, and they're both tied together. Someone is going to get your money, you get to decide who. Go to court without a lawyer and the fine might get reduced but you're still paying. Get a lawyer and get out of the ticket; well, you just paid a lawyer about the amount of the ticket.

Your only hope is to keep it off your record so your insurance doesn't go up. Good luck.

Originally posted by pezking4

then why do people get out of tickets for those reasons?
Old 08-23-2002, 06:25 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by blubyu2k2
plead improper equipment tell them your speedo was screwed up and you were just keeping up with flow of traffic. An old guy I used to work with told me that a cop told him about pleading improper equipment and 9 times out of 10 they will let you off. But I'm not talking from experience I just passing on facts from what I was told. Good Luck
that excuse will probably p1ss the judge even more and make u take the ticket and court fees. it's rare a judge will let you off if you're going 86 in 55 for that excuse, 10-15 over..ok maybe.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:28 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

welcome to the game...buy your points back!
you pay...they go ez on your driving record.

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
sorry, but in Mass and NH (area where I live) doing that on the stand will get you full fine and probably court costs. Maybe it's different where you live (sidenote: so it's probably better to post these "got a ticket" things in the regional forums because the rules are different from state to state.

In NH the 'prosector' is usually another cop. The cop that gave you the ticket does NOT need to be present. The 'prosecutor' also stands in for the cop who gave you the ticket and he uses the ticket as evidence. He'll also probably have a photocopied sheet of their recalibration procedures and will hand it to you when you take the stand and advise "you can't use miscalibration as a defense." He will enter the ticket as evidence, then standing in for the cop will testify that you were speeding.

If there's something wrong on the ticket ("but he spelled my name wrong!") doesn't matter. He only needs to make a good-faith effort and get *something* right that identifies you. If he gets your name wrong, they'll say the license plate is right. If they get the license plate wrong, they'll say your name is right. If they get both wrong... well, actually I'm not sure about that one... hmm.

Ultimately it comes down to this. Tickets are a big business, and getting out of tickets is also a big business, and they're both tied together. Someone is going to get your money, you get to decide who. Go to court without a lawyer and the fine might get reduced but you're still paying. Get a lawyer and get out of the ticket; well, you just paid a lawyer about the amount of the ticket.

Your only hope is to keep it off your record so your insurance doesn't go up. Good luck.

Old 08-23-2002, 06:28 AM
VQ Wizard

doing that on the stand will get you full fine and probably court costs.
So you're telling us that in NH you don't get a bargain from the DA at all? It goes straight up to the stand? Here you get the alterantive presented to you, you accept and the proceed to plea guilty to the reduced charges when you finally do make it to the stand.

hmmm.... anyone else from other states? This is getting interesting.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:14 AM

Got a ticket for 80mph in a 45mph zone here in Orlando(Seminole County though, not Orange). The cop clocked me while still accelerating, so I was really going +/- 100mph. Ticket was $280, went to court, took option 4, which is like pleading no contest, was court ordered for driving school which doesn't count toward my 5 life time driving school uses, on my driving record it shows withheld judication instead of guilty, no points went to my licence and I got 6 months to take the school and pay the fine.
You should call around to law offices in your area that give free legal advice and find out what happens if you plead no contest, plus maybe there are other options.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:59 PM

The other speeding ticket I got aboout 4 years ago was in a city court, and this is a county court. In that city court, I got to talk to the DA first, and he told me if I plead no guilty, I'll just pay the fine, be on probation for 6 months, 20 hrs of community service and driving school. That way no points will go on the record. Now, I got arrested on the highway, and the citation I got was for a county court. I don't know if they do it the same way or different. BTW, the other speeding ticket that I got for city court, I ended up paying $500.00 for everything
Old 08-23-2002, 02:19 PM

hey man, never seen u in the atlanta area before. from ga myself. anyways, i think u can do no-lo every 5 years so i don't think that would work for u. have u taken a first offense before? i think that's what it's called. i would try calling a lawyer friend if u have one. all i have experience w/ is 21 over the limit and did no-lo. i'm not sure if u'll lose ur license for 30 over, could be a possibility. good luck.

ps. we(atl kids) are having a meet this sunday if u're interested in coming. check out the southeast forum for it.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:19 PM

where i live in nj (morris county), money makes the world go round. And it really helps if you know a local cop. I was clocked going 40 in a 25 mph residential zone but i knew another cop that was in the court room. I asked him to help me out so he talked to the prosecutor who offered to accept my plea of "unsafe operation" this means that i pay $382 to the court but my record stays clean.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:23 PM

Re: speeding ticket 86mph in 55 ....help

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
I was pulled over at 2am in the morning on I-285 (around chamblee tucker rd. for GA guys). Police said he clocked me with laser for going 86mph in a 55 zone. it was a clear night, no rain or anything. There were 2 cars in front of me going at the same speed, but I was the one that got pulled over. Maybe its b/c my headlights are the brightest (HID). Any suggestions here? thanks
Slow down?
Old 08-23-2002, 02:33 PM

i just talked to an attorney on the phone.
she said I should just go ahead and represent myself, b/c attorney fee will be $500.00 She said judge "should" already automatically reduce it down to 24mph (3pts and $120.00) instead of the original 31mph(4pts and $350.00). she said if she represent me, she can only reduce it to 24mph, which she said I could do myself. That attorney also said I wouldn't lose my license. That's all i can remember now, i'll post more if i can remember
Old 08-23-2002, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe
You're guilty.

Do what people who don't want to be responsible do:

Get a lawyer.

Several hundred dollars later, you'll probably get a reduced charge....unless you've been bad before.
Billy.... people who are responsible get lawyers too. *raises hand* 81 in a 60.. I beat myself over the head with my keys for a while then called the lawyer.. $257 later and 90 days probation and it goes away. *poof* off my record.

I'm slowing down from now on.. that was like three camber kits!
Old 08-23-2002, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by Mustang1999

Billy.... people who are responsible get lawyers too. *raises hand* 81 in a 60.. I beat myself over the head with my keys for a while then called the lawyer.. $257 later and 90 days probation and it goes away. *poof* off my record.

I'm slowing down from now on.. that was like three camber kits!
Lawyers would not be needed if society were responsible. I could never understand why seemingly responsible adults need lawyers to hold their hands while they do things, such as DWI, buy a house, create a will, etc. We are so self-sufficient thanks to technology, yet some people feel so much better when they have a lawyer with them, as if it's some sort of security blanket. Practicing lawyers, insurance agents, etc., they're just glorified people with licenses to steal....
Old 08-23-2002, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Lawyers would not be needed if society were responsible. I could never understand why seemingly responsible adults need lawyers to hold their hands while they do things, such as DWI, buy a house, create a will, etc. We are so self-sufficient thanks to technology, yet some people feel so much better when they have a lawyer with them, as if it's some sort of security blanket. Practicing lawyers, insurance agents, etc., they're just glorified people with licenses to steal....
Yeah, but I didn't fight the ticket, I accepted that I screwed up and I am paying for it. I could have gotten probation on my own, but since I go to school and work full time I had no feasible time to go to court so I let them go for me. I'm not trying to dodge responsibility, just trying to juggle a hectic life.
Old 08-23-2002, 03:46 PM

Re: speeding ticket 86mph in 55 ....help

86mph in a 55 zone.
thats it? i was clocked at 130 in a 55 and i didnt even get a ticket or points. of course, the reason that happened is because i didnt stop when i saw the cop - just took an exit and kept going. that was about 6 months ago and i never heard anything since...
Old 08-23-2002, 03:58 PM

Re: Re: speeding ticket 86mph in 55 ....help

Originally posted by densetsu

thats it? i was clocked at 130 in a 55 and i didnt even get a ticket or points. of course, the reason that happened is because i didnt stop when i saw the cop - just took an exit and kept going. that was about 6 months ago and i never heard anything since...
And your mommy knows about that? Maybe you should write a page about it in your will... but hurry up!
Old 08-23-2002, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Hey Hey, watch what your saying about lawyers and wills... I'm soon to be a probate lawyer
Old 08-23-2002, 05:32 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Originally posted by floridabornmax

Hey Hey, watch what your saying about lawyers and wills... I'm soon to be a probate lawyer
whoa... wait a minute.. youre the same guy that didnt care if he got stolen HIDs? and you're going to be a lawyer? I just needed to ask that..
Old 08-23-2002, 08:45 PM

i just talked to an attorney on the phone.
she said I should just go ahead and represent myself, b/c attorney fee will be $500.00 She said judge "should" already automatically reduce it down to 24mph (3pts and $120.00) instead of the original 31mph(4pts and $350.00). she said if she represent me, she can only reduce it to 24mph, which she said I could do myself. That attorney also said I wouldn't lose my license. That's all i can remember now, i'll post more if i can remember
Man I just got a ticket today also for going 89 in a 55. I was going down hwy 400 before the toll booth (for the atl people) and Iwas clocked. they guy reduced it so that it was a 78 in a 55. he did it so that I wouldnt get my license taken away for 6 months. The only thing that ****ed me off is that he picked me out of the other 7 cars that were traveling the same speed. Oh well, a good lesson learned.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by 00Semaxi
Man I just got a ticket today also for going 89 in a 55. I was going down hwy 400 before the toll booth (for the atl people) and Iwas clocked. they guy reduced it so that it was a 78 in a 55. he did it so that I would get my license taken away for 6 months. The only thing that ****ed me off is that he picked me out of the other 7 cars that were traveling the same speed. Oh well, a good lesson learned.
well...at least the police reduce it for me. I gotta hope the judge or the DA will do it for me
Old 08-23-2002, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by TimW

whoa... wait a minute.. youre the same guy that didnt care if he got stolen HIDs? and you're going to be a lawyer? I just needed to ask that..
Of course not, if you knew the law well, it is perfectly legal to obtain stolen property unknowingly.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:27 PM
It's chrome alright...

You're an a**. This is why 90% of the normal citizens wouldn't care if 90% of the lawyers died right now.

Originally posted by floridabornmax

Of course not, if you knew the law well, it is perfectly legal to obtain stolen property unknowingly.

Quick Reply: speeding ticket 86mph in 55 ....help