General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Hanabi HID connector

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 05:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hanabi HID connector

Never did like the idea of tapping into the stock headlight harness to power the Hanabi HID coversion kit. Don't know why they didn't just make a connector to the stock harness. Anyways, got the idea from an Auto light FAQ that I got from xHypex (Thanks bro!) to make the Hanabi truly plug and play. If you ever need to replace the Hanabi's with halogen bulbs for inspections or whatever, this may be for you.

All you need to do is grab two used 9004's that you would never go back to anyways (after being spoiled by the HID's). You rip out the bulb and metal bracket holding it in... and what you are left with are 3 wires. The center one is the 12V lead and one of the sides is the ground (check with your OEM harness for confirmation). I then soldered the hanabi wires to the corresponding wires and used hot glue to seal the cavity in for strength. Takes all of 30 minutes tops!

Old 08-26-2002, 08:02 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Excellent idea!
Old 08-26-2002, 08:08 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

See this is WHY I truly enjoy this site... More and more people hacking stuff up to see how it works or how they can mess with it.

Good info..thanks
Old 08-26-2002, 08:08 PM

thats the best idea ive seen here in a long time!! now i REALLY cant wait to get my 6,000k's!!

...so im assuming that extra lead off the 9004plug is for the high beams?? if thats the case, then i can tie that into a set of fogs behind my grill as brights. Ill use a relay for the fogs just to be safe

Ant
Old 08-27-2002, 03:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ny96max
...so im assuming that extra lead off the 9004plug is for the high beams?? if thats the case, then i can tie that into a set of fogs behind my grill as brights. Ill use a relay for the fogs just to be safe

Ant
Yeah the extra lead is for the high beams. The extra fogs sounds very interesting! If only I had time to do another project like that...
Old 08-27-2002, 04:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Very clean Mishmosh I'll probably do the same if I still get HIDs.
I still wish we could have high beams, and I also doubt that the projectors (if they ever materialize) will use 9004s.

Those two concerns may be enough for me to hold off on HIDs for a while longer.
-hype
Old 08-27-2002, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by ny96max
thats the best idea ive seen here in a long time!! now i REALLY cant wait to get my 6,000k's!!

Ant
I've actually thought of this idea as well. The only problem I see with it is that when you turn on your high-beams, your HIDs cut-off. When you turn off the high-beams, the HIDs have to power-up all over again. If you flash them you run the risk of burning up your ballasts. The only way I can see getting around that is if you use that product that is made for GM cars that enables you to run both high-beam and low-beam at the same time. I was going to try that, I just haven't got around to it.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:19 AM

Re: Hanabi HID connector

Originally posted by Mishmosh
...I then soldered the hanabi wires to the corresponding wires and used hot glue to seal the cavity in for strength. Takes all of 30 minutes tops!

Nice job. One suggestion. Instead of hot glue, it might be better to use an epoxy, or an epoxy-based potting compound.

Something like this:
http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/832tc.html
available here: http://www.elexp.com/che_832c.htm
Old 08-28-2002, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by NightRider

I've actually thought of this idea as well. The only problem I see with it is that when you turn on your high-beams, your HIDs cut-off. When you turn off the high-beams, the HIDs have to power-up all over again. If you flash them you run the risk of burning up your ballasts. The only way I can see getting around that is if you use that product that is made for GM cars that enables you to run both high-beam and low-beam at the same time. I was going to try that, I just haven't got around to it.
i know that Hogan aka YOITSOK, CHIMP DJ has done this with is 2k max running fogs for brights while the HID's stayed lit. Ill have to call him and see how he did it.

Ant
Old 08-28-2002, 06:44 AM

another idea

you can use the apc upgrade harness kit that cost 15 beans or you already baught it b4, just cut the harness part and adopt the red positive and a ground.
another way of doing it is go to autozone and buy a 9004 adopter and splice into that.
anyways, ur oem will still be clean and a true plug and play.

finish with wire loom
your done.

btw: freddy's kit is still going strong.