General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Tar on inner rim, please help !?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 09:36 AM

Tar on inner rim, please help !?!?

The F*ckin city descides to pave the streets in my neighborhood and there is tar all around the inner front drivers side rim. The tar isnt on any of the other rims, I was careful driving through it also(the newly paved road). I wanted to know the best way to get this crap off my rims without ruinin the rims. I have Mille Miglia Action's which are bright silver so im not sure what i can use and what I cant use to get this sh*t off my rim. If anyone can help please let me know.

thanks

Jay
Old 09-03-2002, 09:39 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: Tar on inner rim, please help !?!?

Originally posted by nymjayjay
The F*ckin city descides to pave the streets in my neighborhood and there is tar all around the inner front drivers side rim. The tar isnt on any of the other rims, I was careful driving through it also(the newly paved road). I wanted to know the best way to get this crap off my rims without ruinin the rims. I have Mille Miglia Action's which are bright silver so im not sure what i can use and what I cant use to get this sh*t off my rim. If anyone can help please let me know.

thanks

Jay
I'd use Dissolve It. It works like a charm on tarry stuff.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:43 AM

Re: Re: Tar on inner rim, please help !?!?

Originally posted by asu174

I'd use Dissolve It. It works like a charm on tarry stuff.

but do you think it will hurt my rims
Old 09-03-2002, 10:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Tar on inner rim, please help !?!?

thanks

Jay
I have had good luck with the Eagle 1 brand of wheel cleaners. They make several different ones according to the type of wheel and finsh. Spray it on let it sit and carefully take it off. Also any of the pre-wax paint cleaners or clay bars may take it off.

It seems odd (or lucky) only the front drivers side caught the tar. Check your outer cv joint to make sure it's not leaking grease while the wheel is off.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:34 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

tar is tough, you might want to try some bug and tar remover, but if it's been on for more than a couple days it's going to be a *****. You might need to use to gas or paint thinner maybe, which prolly isn't good for the clear coat on the rim. But wax it after, if you do that. Try with the least abraisive stuff first.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:49 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: Re: Re: Tar on inner rim, please help !?!?

but do you think it will hurt my rims
No, I am positive it won't hurt the paint. I've used it on the body of my car for tar too.