General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Weird tire wear??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2000, 01:20 PM

My rear tires have weird wear on them, when you run your hand around the tire every other tread block is uneven, the back edge of one block is higher than the front edge of the next block. Also it seems like just the outside edge of the tread has worn more than the rest of the tire. What does this mean the aligment is off?? Thanks.
Old 12-18-2000, 01:25 PM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by wilhelm
My rear tires have weird wear on them, when you run your hand around the tire every other tread block is uneven, the back edge of one block is higher than the front edge of the next block. Also it seems like just the outside edge of the tread has worn more than the rest of the tire. What does this mean the aligment is off?? Thanks.
Your car is lowered correct? You ahve positive camber.... and the toe is off. I am thinking it's the way the suspension is setup on the maxima... when you lower it, causes wear... my car does this too.

-Shing
Old 12-18-2000, 01:49 PM

No the car isn't lowered it is a stock 98 SE 5spd.
Old 12-18-2000, 02:09 PM
Johnny

I rotated my tires religiously, and I had that happen to all 4 tires. Weird, but I feel that my rears wore out more than the front. It showed up at around 20,000, and the car was aligned 4 times through 12,000, so I don't think it's the alignment. I would think maybe tire pressure, cause I like it around 35/32 which is on the high side. I figure other than that it's worn suspension parts which shouldn't be or bad balancing from the factory. But I refuse to buy new tires when there is tread left, so I'll just keep using them for the time being.

Old 12-18-2000, 02:32 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I would

also say tire pressure... prolly under inflated if it scalloped.
Old 12-18-2000, 02:38 PM
The missing moderator

No the car isn't lowered it is a stock 98 SE 5spd.
If it's not lowered, then like Tim said, check tire pressure.

-Shing
Old 12-18-2000, 04:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm getting strange tire wear also, except it's a bit different. My right front is wearing like it would if it was overinflated (wearing more in the center), but I check the pressure almost every day and it's a bit under spec. Any ideas?
Old 12-18-2000, 04:28 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Worn struts in the back.