General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Cylinder 1 misfire!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 04:13 PM

Cylinder 1 misfire!

Hey,

The car finally spoke to me!!! It's been 6 long months since I've got an error code flashed at me. All this time my car was acting funny, hesitating from time to time, and now I finally know the problem. I've checked the ecu but nothing came back after I got the first error code. I even went to the dealer I bought the car from and they couldn't recover any codes, so they say. Now that I got the error code again, I know what's up. I'm going to go to the dealer and see what they say. Any suggestions before I go in? It's probably a bad coil, because I checked my plugs and they look fine. Could the death of my battery cause the coil to star acting funny again, because my batter just died while I was listening to music and taking the tape of the pillars. After I started the car up and drove around I got the error code. Any suggestions people??

Thanks
Old 09-13-2002, 05:28 PM

Re: Cylinder 1 misfire!

Originally posted by 2KxSEx
Hey,

The car finally spoke to me!!! It's been 6 long months since I've got an error code flashed at me. All this time my car was acting funny, hesitating from time to time, and now I finally know the problem. I've checked the ecu but nothing came back after I got the first error code. I even went to the dealer I bought the car from and they couldn't recover any codes, so they say. Now that I got the error code again, I know what's up. I'm going to go to the dealer and see what they say. Any suggestions before I go in? It's probably a bad coil, because I checked my plugs and they look fine. Could the death of my battery cause the coil to star acting funny again, because my batter just died while I was listening to music and taking the tape of the pillars. After I started the car up and drove around I got the error code. Any suggestions people??

Thanks
Could be an injector.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:24 PM

I just hope it's something simple...

Peace.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had a similar problem...

car was hesitating...coughing...like it was sick, bogged down.
Error codes came back as a cylinder misfire. reset ecu. came back about two days later. Same CEL codes. went to the dealer and they tested and changed out the coils in March. Runs smoother through the powerband now. Strangely enough they replaced them with 2002 coils, according to the parts list? HMMM...
Old 09-13-2002, 09:01 PM
Sports Button FTW

ITS THE DAM SPARK PLUGS I TELL YOU!!!

i had a engine code misfire on cylinder 3 and my car was idling real bad, and kept jumping at low and mid rpm's when on second gear...i had some dirty, worn out Super Bosch spark plugs in there, switched it with NGK platinums and my car runs probably better than when i first got it with 80,000 miles (110 now)...perfect idle, and everything runs so well. The only thing i hate is when i go in reverse, car shakes a little and makes this nasty knocking sound in the front side. I think its my filter knocking on the fender wall or wheel shield.....
Old 09-13-2002, 11:24 PM
Honda Convert!

Check the ignition coil it might have a crack and it will ark the spark over to the wall of the nblock instead of to th espark plug and that will cause the misfire. Just pull it out and check the soft rubber between the hard plastic shaft and the top box part. IF there is a chrack get a new one.

http://www.oem-car-parts.com/?nissan-accessories.com1

Bruce
Old 09-14-2002, 01:43 AM

Hey, Thanks.

I've checked my coils many times, and there are no cracks what so ever. I even tested their resistance according to the manual, and got the same numbers for all 6 of them. My spark plugs look like new too, except some are a little whitter than others on the end. I'm just going to go to the dealer and see what they say.

Peace
Old 09-14-2002, 01:52 AM
Honda Convert!

hey no prob thats my first and only guess and im sticking with it. Your probably wright just get a new one and call it a day. Plus that site is a lot cheeper than the dealership.

Bruce