General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Pro/Con of a valve cover breather

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 10:40 AM

Pro/Con of a valve cover breather

I got a mid pipe. Is it better to connect the valve cover breather line to the mid pipe or use a breather filter like some of you have?
Any problems or potential problems with a breather filter? Any performance differences?
Also, what are the other two hoses for? I see the small one connects to the TB and the other to the transmission.
Old 09-14-2002, 05:51 PM

Re: Pro/Con of a valve cover breather

i would not put a breather any more...i did, cus i thought it looks cool but after awhile, my CEL came on...screws up the MAF sensor.
so i put the tube near the valve cover back on, and now no more CEL.
but others on this board has the breather and have no problems
Old 09-14-2002, 07:38 PM

I had one on for a long time now with no problems. I got it mainly for cosmetics only. I dont see any performance difference but its supposed to be so that no hot oily gasses from the crankcase to enter back into the intake path.
Old 09-14-2002, 07:39 PM

Re: Re: Pro/Con of a valve cover breather

Originally posted by MaximaPower
i would not put a breather any more...i did, cus i thought it looks cool but after awhile, my CEL came on...screws up the MAF sensor.
so i put the tube near the valve cover back on, and now no more CEL.
but others on this board has the breather and have no problems
you did plug up the other hole on the intake right?
Old 09-14-2002, 07:51 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Re: Re: Pro/Con of a valve cover breather

Originally posted by Nismo

you must do the other bank as well. i was only running a breather on the front bank and i had idling(sp) problems.
Old 09-14-2002, 07:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Pro/Con of a valve cover breather

i actually did the $15 upper intake tube...so i didn't make a hole for that tube on the intake tube...wow soo many tubes in one post
Old 09-14-2002, 08:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pro/Con of a valve cover breather

Originally posted by nismo2020

you must do the other bank as well. i was only running a breather on the front bank and i had idling(sp) problems.
so adding the other breather on the other bank solved your problem? or did you get rid of breathers all together?
Old 09-14-2002, 09:24 PM

i cant speak from experience, but when i was doin my pipe, i talked to Bbaker025 bout puttin the filter on. he siad he had and that his car sputtered and died a lot. needless to say, i opted out of it.
Old 09-17-2002, 03:44 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pro/Con of a valve cover breather

so adding the other breather on the other bank solved your problem? or did you get rid of breathers all together?
got rid of it all together. but that was before i knew that all i had to do was add a breather to the other side.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:54 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I got the breather filter and no problems at all. I can't see why having one on both sides would matter?
Old 09-18-2002, 05:20 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by I30tMikeD
I got the breather filter and no problems at all. I can't see why having one on both sides would matter?
Right, there is no place to put one on the rear bank anyway. That tube that goes from the intake towards the rear bank is not a breather. It is the Idle Air Control. It lets the ECU control your idle speed. You must leave the rear tube connected.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:30 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally posted by mzmtg

Right, there is no place to put one on the rear bank anyway. That tube that goes from the intake towards the rear bank is not a breather. It is the Idle Air Control. It lets the ECU control your idle speed. You must leave the rear tube connected.
That what I thought. I must have the two rear hoses hooked up.
I must not understand what these post are referring to. I have the two tubes going to the rear connected and the front one with a breather filter. No problems for me.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:19 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by mzmtg

id have to show you guys what im talking about. i have hks intake if that makes any difference. when i put that breather thing on my idle was bad and even stalled out.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:27 PM

id have to show you guys what im talking about. i have hks intake if that makes any difference. when i put that breather thing on my idle was bad and even stalled out.
did u put the breather on the idle pipe (near the intake mainfold, under fstb if you have one) or the crankcase one(beside the VQ, near battery)??

if you disconnect the idle pipe from your intake system your car will stall.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:32 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by costcowholesale

did u put the breather on the idle pipe (near the intake mainfold, under fstb if you have one) or the crankcase one(beside the VQ, near battery)??

if you disconnect the idle pipe from your intake system your car will stall.
i have a hks intake with the dave b mod so i think the front crankcase hose gets hooked up to the rear "idle pipe". when i took off the hose and put on the breather i taped up the connector for the idle pipe and it idle badly. did that make any sense?
Old 09-18-2002, 02:43 PM

i have a hks intake with the dave b mod so i think the front crankcase hose gets hooked up to the rear "idle pipe". when i took off the hose and put on the breather i taped up the connector for the idle pipe and it idle badly. did that make any sense?
woah thats weird, take a pic!
Old 09-18-2002, 04:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a breather filter. No problems or any real benefits besides the looks. Car feels normal as before.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by skeelo34
I have a breather filter. No problems or any real benefits besides the looks. Car feels normal as before.
That's good to know. For the long term, does anyone worry about the quality of the breather filter? For instance, how often do you need to change it (or do you change it at all)? Do you clean it or just buy another one.

I was thinking that the only advantage of connecting the breather hose to the midpipe is that all the air gets cleaned by the same higher quality filter (whatever you have K&N, Stillen, Monsterflow, whatever) that is on your intake.

Any thoughts. I'm building my intake this weekend. I like the looks of the breather filter, not to mention I don't have to drill another hole. But I do want quality too.
Old 09-21-2002, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by maxhead

That's good to know. For the long term, does anyone worry about the quality of the breather filter? For instance, how often do you need to change it (or do you change it at all)? Do you clean it or just buy another one.

I was thinking that the only advantage of connecting the breather hose to the midpipe is that all the air gets cleaned by the same higher quality filter (whatever you have K&N, Stillen, Monsterflow, whatever) that is on your intake.

Any thoughts. I'm building my intake this weekend. I like the looks of the breather filter, not to mention I don't have to drill another hole. But I do want quality too.

I don't see how you could go wrong with a breather filter. You can always buy a new one for like 12 bucks, or whatever they go for. I think it should be fine as there isnt as much airflow through it as compared to your regular intake. I wouldn't worry about it.