General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Knock sensor and MAP/BARO switch question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 10:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Knock sensor and MAP/BARO switch question

Hi

I got done with my VI recently and have two problems.

1. Knock Sensor 0304 code
2. MAP/BARO 1302 code

For the knock sensor, I have a question. I removed the knock sensor and measured the resistance across the terminals, the resistance read between 0.8 MOhms and 1.2 MOhms. The FSM says it should be between 500 and 620 Ohms. The Haynes manual says that the resistance of the knock sensor is pretty high (620 Ohms is not very high to me). Question I have is, is this a bad sensor? I guess if it is throwing a code, it is! But why would installing a VI cause this? When I first installed the VI, I had a bad air leak which made the engine shake pretty badly, could that have damaged the KS?

For the MAP/BARO solenoid, I need to diagnose that a little more, I have not checked idle vacuum yet but I know the solenoid is working. Thing is that it was not a problem at first. It just appeared recently. But if you have any ideas that would help a lot!

Once I get these problems sorted out, I'll be on the dyno again!

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2002, 11:17 PM

the shaking "could" have done it...but probably not...chances are your knock sensor was already dead before your MEVI install, but since you have so much power, you didn't even notice. The knock sensor failure doesn't trigger the CEL....and when you had the MAP/BARO code pop up...that triggered the CEL....so it makes it "look" like the knock sensor happened at the same time.
Old 09-22-2002, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
the shaking "could" have done it...but probably not...chances are your knock sensor was already dead before your MEVI install, but since you have so much power, you didn't even notice. The knock sensor failure doesn't trigger the CEL....and when you had the MAP/BARO code pop up...that triggered the CEL....so it makes it "look" like the knock sensor happened at the same time.
Thanks dude! You are right, it does not trip the CEL. However, my gas mileage was good before and I had checked my engine codes not long ago and got a 0505 (no codes). My gas mileage now sucks somewhat since I got the code popping up. In any case, you are thinking my KS is bad I take it. Any thoughts on the MAP/BARO?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2002, 11:52 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

high resistance means break in the wire. it might be dead.

my friend just installed his VI today and the engine immediately started knocking. NO CEL tho. which was strange.

hm. BriGuy is right. your KS might have been bad and you didnt even know it until now.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:26 AM

Re: Knock sensor and MAP/BARO switch question

Originally posted by turbo97SE
Hi

I got done with my VI recently and have two problems.

1. Knock Sensor 0304 code
2. MAP/BARO 1302 code

For the knock sensor, I have a question. I removed the knock sensor and measured the resistance across the terminals, the resistance read between 0.8 MOhms and 1.2 MOhms. The FSM says it should be between 500 and 620 Ohms. The Haynes manual says that the resistance of the knock sensor is pretty high (620 Ohms is not very high to me). Question I have is, is this a bad sensor? I guess if it is throwing a code, it is! But why would installing a VI cause this? When I first installed the VI, I had a bad air leak which made the engine shake pretty badly, could that have damaged the KS?

Thanks!
That should be 500 to 620 kilo-ohms. Regardless, if you are reading in the Mohm range, then either the KS is bad, the KS harness is bad, or you have a bad ground.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:25 AM

Re: Re: Knock sensor and MAP/BARO switch question

Originally posted by Stephen Max

That should be 500 to 620 kilo-ohms. Regardless, if you are reading in the Mohm range, then either the KS is bad, the KS harness is bad, or you have a bad ground.
0.8 MOhms is about 800 KOhms, which is just a little higher than the spec which is marginal and why I asked the question. You guys have been helpful. Sounds like I need to replace it!

Thanks!

Nigel
Old 09-23-2002, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by turbo97SE

Thanks dude! You are right, it does not trip the CEL. However, my gas mileage was good before and I had checked my engine codes not long ago and got a 0505 (no codes). My gas mileage now sucks somewhat since I got the code popping up. In any case, you are thinking my KS is bad I take it. Any thoughts on the MAP/BARO?

Thanks!
No Problem

As for the MAP/BARO switch....check all your vacuum connections...chances are that you forgot to re-connect something when you did the MEVI install
Old 12-10-2002, 04:04 PM

Nigel did you figure out the MAP BARO situation? I am having similiar problems.

SuDZ
Old 12-10-2002, 09:44 PM

Yup, I figured it out ... thanks!

Originally posted by SuDZ
Nigel did you figure out the MAP BARO situation? I am having similiar problems.

SuDZ
Old 12-10-2002, 10:01 PM

One thing I have noticed on the 98's (and maybe 99) is that there is a hose that connects to the top of the TB port on the manifold - this does not exist on the MEVI, VIAS, or VI (depending on what you call it).

You have to use a vacuum T from the bottom port on the manifold to the rear of the TB and connect that hose there. Otherwise, you get what sounds like knocking, because you have a vacuum leak.

The other thing is that you MUST replace your TB Gasket and all gaskets - if you don't, you'll have issues.

Hope this helps.

IanS
Old 12-10-2002, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by iansw
One thing I have noticed on the 98's (and maybe 99) is that there is a hose that connects to the top of the TB port on the manifold - this does not exist on the MEVI, VIAS, or VI (depending on what you call it).

You have to use a vacuum T from the bottom port on the manifold to the rear of the TB and connect that hose there. Otherwise, you get what sounds like knocking, because you have a vacuum leak.

The other thing is that you MUST replace your TB Gasket and all gaskets - if you don't, you'll have issues.

Hope this helps.

IanS
I only replaced the rubber manifold gasket...and I have no issues
Old 12-10-2002, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

I only replaced the rubber manifold gasket...and I have no issues
You are one of the very few - I myself didn't have to replace anything either, but many have - after a few weeks i did anyway, just to be safe.

IanS
Old 12-11-2002, 12:02 AM

Actually, mine was just a kinked hose to the throttle body.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:32 AM

Hope this helps.

IanS
Where on the bottom of the manifold do you connect it to? Maybe this is causing my issues.

SuDZ
Old 12-13-2002, 01:10 PM

Bump. Ian I still have the CEL and was wondering if you could explain it a bit more?
Old 12-13-2002, 02:24 PM

Looking on the MEVI at the Throttle Body, go back (towards the back of the car).

There are 2 vacuum ports in this location. You would tap into either one - I used the bottom one.

IanS
Old 12-13-2002, 03:43 PM

Looking on the MEVI at the Throttle Body, go back (towards the back of the car).

There are 2 vacuum ports in this location. You would tap into either one - I used the bottom one.

IanS
Thanks. I will look tonight.

SuDZ