General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Frankencar intakes: welded or epoxied?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 10:03 AM

how many people were upset when...

They discovered that their frankencar intake was epoxied, not welded?

Added by Jeff92se: Are the production intakes welded and the prototypes epoxied?
Old 09-24-2002, 09:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Like I said a 100 times. This intake was a flat out STOLEN idea from the PRcai midpipe. He always admited he made them at home. So if he home made them, im sure they were epoxy'ed and not welded unless he has a MIG/TIG welder in his garage.

I wish I read the thread where he admitted to home making all of them and not having them mass produced by a REAL company.

Dixit
Old 09-24-2002, 09:58 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ethics aside.

1) We don't know for sure how they are made until someone with one chimes in and confirms. So let's rest on that one for a bit.

2) An idea is an idea correct. But unless you copyright it or patent it, it's up for grabs. Why do you think people are so reluctant to show turbo set-ups?

3) Again, how many different ways can you make a straight tube with 2 tubes coming out of it anyway? If one can make a similar product for $$ dollars cheaper, then so be it. It's how our economy is run.

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Dont matter, an idea is an idea. If you steal it, you are not a businessman, on top of that if you are epoxying them, and it essentially is costing you only $10 to make then and sell them for over $100 and tell people you are helping the maxima community, save it for the newbies that fall for it. I however own 12 businesses and dont run my businesses that way.

Dixit
Old 09-24-2002, 09:59 AM

Dont matter, an idea is an idea. If you steal it, you are not a businessman, on top of that if you are epoxying them, and it essentially is costing you only $10 to make then and sell them for over $100 and tell people you are helping the maxima community, save it for the newbies that fall for it. I however own 12 businesses and dont run my businesses that way.

Dixit
So who came up with the first FSTB? Should the rest of the people making FSTB quit selling theirs because hey ... they copied the original FSTB design!

And since Cattman was one of the original y-pipe designers, should Budget and Warpspeed stop selling their y-pipes?

Old 09-24-2002, 10:28 AM

should the world just be happy with one product.... and
stop making better and improved product.....

i think not.......

i just want me damn intake..... plzzzz send it fast.....
Old 09-24-2002, 10:42 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Yes clarification

Epoxy or welded... And JB Weld does not constitute welding.

I am just looking for an honest answer. No name calling, no calling foul, just need info.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:45 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I'm buying the prototype off someone
when I'll get it, i'll let you guys know
Old 09-24-2002, 10:45 AM

thanks for reposting the info!*Jeff92se*

1. FrankenCar used my car as the 2k1 project car to test-fit the intake, but I am not involved with their business and do not receive any profits.

2. My intake is welded. I think FrankenCar uses an outside shop to do the welding.

3. Epoxy would be ridiculous to use. JB Weld is expensive, messy, and unreliable.

4. I have no knowledge of the recent group deal. Has somebody received an intake and said it was epoxied?

5. If you can make a cheap home-made intake yourself, go ahead. If you want to help out other Maxima owners, make them in large quantities and sell them. No one is stopping you.

6. FrankenCar produces these intakes as cheaper and more complete alternatives to the Stillen and JWT intakes. They do it for Maxima owners. I think Steve was initially motivated by the fact that no aftermarket company had yet adapted an intake for his new 2k2 Maxima.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:06 AM

Yall are missing the point, I dont care anymore that the idea was stolen, Im more about how he claims to be helping the maxima community by selling cheap priced intakes and yet marks them up over 400%. That is not helping out the community.

Other members who also sell intakes dont HOARD profits. I know that is business, but if you main business is to scam us, then move to the next man.

Dixit
Old 09-24-2002, 11:09 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Yall are missing the point, I dont care anymore that the idea was stolen, Im more about how he claims to be helping the maxima community by selling cheap priced intakes and yet marks them up over 400%. That is not helping out the community.

Other members who also sell intakes dont HOARD profits. I know that is business, but if you main business is to scam us, then move to the next man.

Dixit
I dont care about this. I have to know how it was assembled. Plain and simple. I made my choice. I know how much intakes cost, I know they are basically assembled. BUT, if the way they are assembled is different than expected, I have a right to know this.

I just want the info, as Jeff92se said...ethics aside. I think this question needs to be answered by someone on the Frankencar staff and very soon. I have PM'd him. Currently no response.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:13 AM
I'm needing a caw

1) The question on how it's made is answered already.
2) If it's so easy and cheap to make them, please then make it your new business.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:15 AM

Dixit
do you really think it's 400%?????

I knew from the beginning, as did hopefully everyone else.. that the frankencar intake is nothing new.. it's just a hybrid, assembled from a combination of CAI and a pop charger.. but break down what is given in it...

a Cone Filter
CAI mid pipe
intake adapter
bunch of clamps

you can buy everything in it seperate.. or buy it all put together already.. whether or not you can get these things cheaper or not.. is up to you.. and if you want the hassle of finding everything cheaper....
Old 09-24-2002, 11:18 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Jeff92se
1) The question on how it's made is answered already.
But I would like a Frankencar Rep to answer it so I can see in black and white. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2002, 11:26 AM

Fine leave all my statements out of this then, at least Im big enough to admit that and just let the truth speak for itself keep my mouth shut.

Dixit
Old 09-24-2002, 11:38 AM

i got my frankencar intake for 120 how is that 400% markup?
Old 09-24-2002, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Colonel

But I would like a Frankencar Rep to answer it so I can see in black and white. Thanks!
Steve is at work, Matt is at school.. when they get home they will answer you
Old 09-24-2002, 12:01 PM

Fine leave all my statements out of this then, at least Im big enough to admit that and just let the truth speak for itself keep my mouth shut.

Dixit
The only way to have truth is to walk into his basement and see what's there. I've seen the torch and all of the midpipes in the beginning stages. Mine is also welded but we'll wait for Steve to throw in that facts.

More power to Steve and his business.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:02 PM

I beleive mine is welded...
Old 09-24-2002, 12:06 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by SprintMax

Steve is at work, Matt is at school.. when they get home they will answer you
Old 09-24-2002, 12:52 PM

well i don't care about the price.... b/c i wouldn't even know where to being to make the parts even if i had the raw materials....

i just want to know it's welded good...

and want it now... want it now now now......

so when is it going to be shipped..... i ordered it last tuesday...
Old 09-24-2002, 06:43 PM
Handsome

Whats Hybrid about it???

A hybrid intake would be a mix of a popcharger with a CAI intake. How is a midpipe and a filter a hybrid intake? It seems no different than a short ram. The benefits of a CAI are colder air, the draw backs extra piping. The benefits of a Pop charger are no restricitive piping, the draw backs are that it gets air from the engine bay.
So in my mind a hybrid setup would be the best of both worlds, as in a popcharger that was predominatly fed by a pipe that had incoming air from outside the engine bay. This would have the advantages of both the CAI and Pop charger. However the Hybrid intakes sold today seem to only have the disadvantages of both, tubing and heat from underneath the engine, again it looks just like a short ram intake to me.
Since you use a midpipe from a CAI, did the R & D team who made the CAI just accidently make the midpipe a perfect length for a supposed hybrid set up? Has anyone R & D different lengths of the midpipe. The CAI that cuts into the fender seems to be not much longer than the midpipe, but draws in cool air. If it is said that the tubing is restrictive why would a pop charger not be an advantage over this hybrid set up?
Old 09-24-2002, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by clee130
And since Cattman was one of the original y-pipe designers, should Budget and Warpspeed stop selling their y-pipes?

Matt York/SLO Muffler were the original y-pipe designers..
Old 09-24-2002, 08:48 PM
Master Will

mine is welded

and works just fine...
Old 09-25-2002, 12:14 AM
syc

I "think" mine is welded but sorry for this stupid question: how do you know it's welded or epoxied? I asked because people said they "think" theirs are welded!? don't you just touch it and know it? I'm confused.
p.s. English is not my first language.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by maximaracer28
I beleive mine is welded...
You sure because it does not look that way
Old 09-25-2002, 05:16 AM

Look on the inside of the pipe. You can tell from there.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:54 AM

man still no response from the frankencar people.... who can settle this for good..... where are they?
Old 09-25-2002, 07:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dixit
Your motives for posting this stuff are blatantly obvious. Go other ways to vent your jealousy. It's a car forum. Lots of people make lots of things, all similar, and sell them. The FSTB is a good example, as is the Y-pipe. You can't copyright a type of product, only a specific brand. I have a prototype 4g FCP intake, and it's definitely welded. I painted it with flat black paint myself, so I could tell.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by Lime

Your motives for posting this stuff are blatantly obvious. Go other ways to vent your jealousy. It's a car forum. Lots of people make lots of things, all similar, and sell them. The FSTB is a good example, as is the Y-pipe. You can't copyright a type of product, only a specific brand. I have a prototype 4g FCP intake, and it's definitely welded. I painted it with flat black paint myself, so I could tell.
Ok my motives are out of jealousy? You smoking crack right? Tell me you are? How you going to assume that? I own 12 business of my own, I dont need an aftermarket intake business to make my life complete. In no way is that going to make me jealous. Like I said, drop it cause I have already.

Dixit
Old 09-25-2002, 07:59 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by ][ 35
man still no response from the frankencar people.... who can settle this for good..... where are they?
I sent them an email, Steve, on their website addy. Just waiting now.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:13 AM

I sent them an email, Steve, on their website addy. Just waiting now.

been waiting too long for the my intake...
hope they answer the question and how soon we will get it for sure... not we are thinking of sending it on this date...
Old 09-25-2002, 08:36 AM

...I own 12 business of my own...

Dixit
Like what
Old 09-25-2002, 09:57 AM

You know iit is welded when...

You look inside the midpipe and see no heat damage, aside from maybe drilling. Also, a nice tig/mig or any weld shouldnt be able to be cut with a razorblade...

Also, mine has runny drips of "weld" between the large and small pipes... as a person with welding experience I can tell you that this is noit something that would happen to liquid metal...
Old 09-25-2002, 10:16 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: You know iit is welded when...

Originally posted by on_alert
Also, a nice tig/mig or any weld shouldnt be able to be cut with a razorblade...
Well if this part is true, then I know my test.

You look inside the midpipe and see no heat damage, aside from maybe drilling.
You SHOULD or SHOULD NOT see heat damamge. I am confused as I do not know how to weld. I would "think" that you would see head damage? I dunno, I am not an expert. I have looked inside the midpipe (I have removed for time being until this is resolved) and seen "scortch" type marks where the 1 small tube enters the midpipe itself? Could you clear this up for me?
Also, mine has runny drips of "weld" between the large and small pipes... as a person with welding experience I can tell you that this is noit something that would happen to liquid metal...
Mine just has "blobs" around the 3tree. Plus after removing one of the "welds" is loose and rotates a little in the groove. Hmmmmm?
Old 09-25-2002, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Re: You know iit is welded when...

Originally posted by on_alert
You look inside the midpipe and see no heat damage, aside from maybe drilling. Also, a nice tig/mig or any weld shouldnt be able to be cut with a razorblade...

my PR pipes and my IC pipes have no heat damage inside.. are you saying that both of them are epoxy.. it seems that your original post made it look like you had some proof.. now your post now seems like yo uare speculating
Old 09-25-2002, 10:24 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: You know iit is welded when...

That isn't a good sign. If it's welded, the two pieces of metal are now ONE. Unless there was a major defect in the welding, nothing should be moving.

Suggestion. These are painted right? Since yours seem broken sightly anyway, try scraping some of the paint off and see what color the "welds" are. If it's not a metal color, it's probably epoxy. Or just try putting a small magnet to the tube and "weld". Of course epoxy will not be magnetic.

Mine just has "blobs" around the 3tree. Plus after removing one of the "welds" is loose and rotates a little in the groove. Hmmmmm?
Old 09-25-2002, 10:28 AM

i talked to steve yesterday and he said they are tig welded, and that the only ones that were epoxied were prototypes

john
Old 09-25-2002, 10:32 AM

Anyone have a picture of the peice in question? All the welds that I have seen have a slight discoloration to them. If it becomes too hot you can really tell that its actually a weld. Also, if the "welds" are movable, its not a weld.
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Re: You know iit is welded when...

Originally posted by Jeff92se
...Suggestion. These are painted right? Since yours seem broken sightly anyway, try scraping some of the paint off and see what color the "welds" are. If it's not a metal color, it's probably epoxy. Or just try putting a small magnet to the tube and "weld". Of course epoxy will not be magnetic.
I will perform this test as well. I actually have 2 different ones. The first 1 broke at the 3tree part. So I will check to see. I am not worried about scraping the paint.

Question: If you use JBWeld or a "cold weld" material, would it not be a "gray" or "metal" type color?

Originally posted by johnvt1111
i talked to steve yesterday and he said they are tig welded, and that the only ones that were epoxied were prototypes

john
ahhhhhhhh finally a some answer...... so the intakes for this GD will be Welded right? since we won't be getting the prototypes....

but steve should do better by actually posting here and let everyone know by his words.... so people don't worry

Quick Reply: Frankencar intakes: welded or epoxied?