General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

WSP Y pipe made some noise, if you have one, or are considering getting one- read

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 05:33 PM
Handsome

WSP Y pipe made some noise, if you have one, or are considering getting one- read

I just installed my WSP Y pipe this weekend (took about 2 hours, the 02 sensors where my biggest hang up, and I ended up taking some of the protective covering off the bottom of the car to get at them easier, other than that pretty smooth sailing, just make sure you have flex attachments, I think they where invented just for japanese cars LOL.) The only other exhaust modification I have is a Tesudo Muffler. Anyway when I started up the car it sounded perfect, I am very conservative about sound but the difference between just the muffler and the muffler plus the Y pipe was just a slightly deeper note, and little more aggresive at WOT. However, when ever I would really get on the throttle I would hear some rattling/buzzing underneath my shifter (it only occured for about a second.) I thought Oh no the dreaded bees in the can sound that everyones been talking about. It didn't do it when I would rev it up so I knew it had to be when it was under heavy load. I jacked it up on a floor jack and had a friend power brake it in first and give it a little gas (be carefull if you try this.) When the car is put under load the Y pipe would move pretty aggresivly (thank god for the flex section) and it was actually hitting the old mounting bracket from the stock Y pipe. I bent it out of the way and that helped a lot, but I was finally able to solve the problem by cutting away a very small section of the stock bracket. This problem is because the WSP Y pipe is straighter than other Y pipes that I saw like Stillen that have a slight bend by the flex section, not that I am complaining at all about a straighter pipe. With my Y-pipe and Tesudo muffler my Maxima's sound is very comparible to a 3000gt. Just a deep throaty growl that is constant, I was very impressed with the sound, seeing as I was very nervous about it sounding like a Honda with a straight pipe. In fact a fireman from next door came over while I was doing the swap. After he heard it, and after I talked to him about the possiblities of the max, he called his wife and told her he was starting on a new project car, her Maxima

As for butt dyno's I couldn't tell a real difference, this is why I am skeptical of others claims about the dramatic results of different intakes, I beleive this is the placebo effect.

However when I raced one of my friends that I had before the Y pipe the extra power was there. My friend has a 3.2 CL with comptech this and that, and I can tell you from a couple of runs we both could see that my car was performing better, the most dramatic at the last of the RPM range, as well as the bottom (ie: just before shifts, and right after)

The next night I went out a yellow Focus was driving next to me wanting to race. We punched it from about 50 and I steadily pulled on him. At the next light his mouth was wide open, and he was looking my car up and down like it had spray paint all over it. He asked what I had, and I said just a down pipe, to which he replied it's fast. Being a focus I thought I would pull harder on him, and I didn't understand why he was gawking at my car like it was a Ferrari. At the light we went from a punch and his back bumper was at my front bumper till 40, then I started pulling hard (I love the VQ.) We did this twice with the same result, I just couldn't get a launch that would beat him before 40. I asked him what he had and he said intake exhaust and 75 shot of nitrous. Thats when I realized why he was so disappointed about losing to an almost stock car, I Love it when people look at the Max like it's a camry, it almost makes me happy that the majority of people don't know the potential of these cars.

The Y pipe took about a month to get hear but was well worth the wait, I hope this post helps anyone that may have the same vibration when the car is put under heavy load, my car is a fourth gen by the way
Old 09-24-2002, 05:47 PM

auto or stick?
Old 09-24-2002, 06:17 PM
Handsome

Originally posted by Nore474
auto or stick?
It's an auto. But even such with Nittos and a 2000 rpm launch this is one of the strongest points of the car, if I lose it is usually after I shift into second. The strongest is probably a drop into first at a 30-35 launch. Even though I couldn't get the focus off the line I did have him in the 1/4. I know that a five speed would have performed better. My previous eclipse was a five speed, but I got a great deal on this 96. It had what looked like brand new paint (the green that looks black unless it's in the light) absolutly no dings, 60,000 miles, and a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty (MAPS) for 10,000. It has run perfect since and the only problem was with the rear window, a part broke that caused the window to slip off the electric track so that it was just hanging in the door. This was fixed under warranty In an ideal world I would have a five speed, but the auto was a great deal, and I have only been beaten by a honda once, a civic hatch with a GS-R swap, ACT clutch, and some other bolt ons, and he didn't start pulling on me till after second. Other than that rarely do I lose to imports unless it's a DSM. Getting the max was for insurance reasons, I never thought it would turn into being one of the most under rated imports, with lots of potential
Old 09-24-2002, 06:28 PM
Handsome

Originally posted by Street Reeper

It's an auto. But even such with Nittos and a 2000 rpm launch this is one of the strongest points of the car, if I lose it is usually after I shift into second. The strongest is probably a drop into first at a 30-35 launch. Even though I couldn't get the focus off the line I did have him in the 1/4. I know that a five speed would have performed better. My previous eclipse was a five speed, but I got a great deal on this 96. It had what looked like brand new paint (the green that looks black unless it's in the light) absolutly no dings, 60,000 miles, and a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty (MAPS) for 10,000. It has run perfect since and the only problem was with the rear window, a part broke that caused the window to slip off the electric track so that it was just hanging in the door. This was fixed under warranty In an ideal world I would have a five speed, but the auto was a great deal, and I have only been beaten by a honda once, a civic hatch with a GS-R swap, ACT clutch, and some other bolt ons, and he didn't start pulling on me till after second. Other than that rarely do I lose to imports unless it's a DSM. Getting the max was for insurance reasons, I never thought it would turn into being one of the most under rated imports, with lots of potential
Sorry that was a typo. I actually just turned over 60,000. It was a 96 GXE auto with absolutly no body or interior imperfections, 45,000 miles, and a 100,000 mile warranty for 10,000.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:40 PM

Other than that rarely do I lose to imports unless it's a DSM. Getting the max was for insurance reasons, I never thought it would turn into being one of the most under rated imports, with lots of potential

Exactly MAximas are so nice
Old 09-25-2002, 06:05 PM

I can't wait to get my Y-pipe I just ordered my intake I just gotta wrack up 300 smackers
Old 09-25-2002, 06:13 PM

Re: WSP Y pipe made some noise, if you have one, or are considering getting one- read

As for butt dyno's I couldn't tell a real difference, this is why I am skeptical of others claims about the dramatic results of different intakes, I beleive this is the placebo effect.
Did you disconnect the battery to reset your ECU? If you didn't it takes some time for the ECU to adjust to the new mod.
Old 09-25-2002, 06:56 PM

Re: Re: WSP Y pipe made some noise, if you have one, or are considering getting one- read

Originally posted by araffio

Did you disconnect the battery to reset your ECU? If you didn't it takes some time for the ECU to adjust to the new mod.
I thought that didn't work. From what I gathered you have to go to the ecu itself and reset it via the ****?

Correct me of I'm wrong
Old 09-25-2002, 07:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: WSP Y pipe made some noise, if you have one, or are considering getting one- read

Originally posted by talisman311

I thought that didn't work. From what I gathered you have to go to the ecu itself and reset it via the ****?

Correct me of I'm wrong
I'm pretty sure disconnecting the battery resets it, but I'm not an expert...
Anyone else know?
Old 09-26-2002, 04:33 AM

Just do the ****. It resets it just fine. Yes. Y pipe is a nice thing to have... Untill smog time. I usually have to put my stock back in. It takes soooo long just because the O2 sensors are a pain to get out.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by darksands
Just do the ****. It resets it just fine. Yes. Y pipe is a nice thing to have... Untill smog time. I usually have to put my stock back in. It takes soooo long just because the O2 sensors are a pain to get out.
What is this "****" you are talking about? Where is the ECU and this ****?
Old 09-26-2002, 07:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

<bangdesk>

The rubbing noise is due to an empty bracket; if you do a search you would have no problem finding out about how to get rid of any noises.