General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Help me diagnose alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 02:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Help me diagnose alignment issue

Hey guys,

I had an accident a few months ago, where a guy hit me in my passenger-side rear quarter. He basically hit right behind the right-rear wheel (with his front end) and probably hit the wheel also. The car drove fine, but the passenger side rear wheel looks like it's leaning inward at the top. Like the top of the wheel is further "in" to the wheelwell than the bottom of the wheel. But it drives fine, no shakes or anything. Well I was putting my new wheels/tires on today and noticed that the INNER parts of that tire is worn bald. And the inner part of the driver's side rear tire, also worn a bit more than the rest of the tire.

When I had the wheels off today, nothing looks adjustable in there. Nothing really looks bent. But if you stand behind the car, it's pretty obvious that the passenger side right wheel is "leaning" in. What do you think is going on? I got several body shop quotes and plan to get it fixed in the next month or so (I've been busy paying tax bills, thus the reason for my waiting to fix) ... but I want to get a handle on this, see if it's major-huge or what.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-28-2002, 03:58 PM

It sounds like you are having camber problems...too negative. Unfortunately this is not easily adjustable. I think you are going to have to have some parts replaced to get it back to the factory specs. The rear wheels are suppose to have a little negative camber, but just about 1 degree. I think toe is the only ajustable component to alignments. Caster, camber, and thrust will require suspension replacement. I hope the dude's insurance will cover your costs.
Old 09-28-2002, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
It sounds like you are having camber problems...too negative. Unfortunately this is not easily adjustable. I think you are going to have to have some parts replaced to get it back to the factory specs. The rear wheels are suppose to have a little negative camber, but just about 1 degree. I think toe is the only ajustable component to alignments. Caster, camber, and thrust will require suspension replacement. I hope the dude's insurance will cover your costs.
No, the accident was my fault and I can't claim it on my insurance or I'll be dropped. I already had a pretty major at-fault accident earlier this year. All costs will be out of my (almost empty) pocket.

What parts would have to be replaced?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2002, 06:53 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Go to a good alignment/front end shop. Let them shoot the car and see what the readings are. They can shim the rear to correct alignment issues. But first, you've got to see where and how much it's off by.
Old 09-29-2002, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Go to a good alignment/front end shop. Let them shoot the car and see what the readings are. They can shim the rear to correct alignment issues. But first, you've got to see where and how much it's off by.
How much $$ we talkin' ?
Old 09-29-2002, 12:52 PM

I bought a lifetime wheel alignment from a Goodyear tire shop that's just 1 mile from my house. It cost me $125 and I've used it maybe 6 times already. They usually charge $50 for the 4 wheel computerized alignment, so I'd say I got my money's worth.
Old 09-29-2002, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
I bought a lifetime wheel alignment from a Goodyear tire shop that's just 1 mile from my house. It cost me $125 and I've used it maybe 6 times already. They usually charge $50 for the 4 wheel computerized alignment, so I'd say I got my money's worth.
Hm. You had mentioned I might need new parts, however, since the rear camber is not easily adjustable in these cars. I sure wish I could get it done for $125, but... ??
Old 09-29-2002, 05:06 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I pay 53 bucks where I go, no matter what they have to adjust.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:55 PM

I pay 53 bucks where I go, no matter what they have to adjust.
But that assumes no replacement parts.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:34 PM

. They can shim the rear to correct alignment issues.

What do you mean by "shim the rear"? I know that there is no adjustment for anything but toe in our car. I thought though with the solid rear axle that it was either good or bad that you could not really work with it at all.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:36 AM

The FSM page on aligning the rear beam basically just says "replace until within spec". There is really nothing back there you can repair, it pretty much is one unit and needs to be replaced as one unit.

Sorry bud, I think you're going to drop some cash on this one.