General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

News

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 11:22 PM

News

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html
Old 09-29-2002, 08:32 PM
ivelweyz

Re: News

Originally posted by CFster
http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=3386
uhhh

where are those " welcome to last week " pictures when you need'em. Some dude posted this few days ago and nobody cared for his post either...

Old 09-30-2002, 02:41 AM

Well excuse me. As I actually have a life, I don't live on this board as some people appear to and missed that post. It's happens to be a major milestone in the auto repair industry you know.

I thought some people around here might be interested in actually fixing their cars instead of bolting ghetto wheels on them.
Old 09-30-2002, 04:08 AM
Administrator

I live on this board.. i have no life
Old 09-30-2002, 02:18 PM
ivelweyz

Well excuse me. As I actually have a life, I don't live on this board as some people appear to and missed that post. It's happens to be a major milestone in the auto repair industry you know.

I thought some people around here might be interested in actually fixing their cars instead of bolting ghetto wheels on them.
You just feel stupid, like I said before they didn't care about the first time it was posted and they surely won't care about yours kiddo...

Old 09-30-2002, 02:51 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: News

http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=3386
thanx for the link. good info.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by ivelweyz

You just feel stupid, like I said before they didn't care about the first time it was posted and they surely won't care about yours kiddo...
Blah, blah, blah...

No, I'm just annoyed by people like you who are too stupid to see the significance of it and therefore it must by my fault that I wasted your time by having you click on my thread.

I have proof of your stupidity because you obviously have nothing better to do than float around message boards trolling people. And I can prove you're a troll because:

A. A troll posts such messages to get attention. True - because your post had no use whatsoever other than to make yourself feel important.

B. A troll disrupts message boards. True - because if this continues it will likely get locked or deleted.

C. A troll just makes trouble. True - Again, comments like yours are justified in your small brain only by the fact that you seem to consider it a let down, or you were somehow cheated out of some kind of usefull information by clicking on this thread. What a waste of time right? I don't think so. You're bored, that's all.

Now, to explain the significance of the original topic. First of all, CNN thought it was important and soon enough a lot of people here will as well. I realize it as well, as I have been running a repair shop for the last 16 years - KIDDO. Maybe nobody here understands the significance, but I think it's important and mark my words, those codes and how to access them will be on a sticky on the front page in time.

There are several makes of cars out there that require a trip to the dealer on the back of a tow truck if they get a DEAD BATTERY. They need to be reprogrammed at a dealership before they'll even start up again. And that's only the beginning. Things like programming security keys, diagnosing any number of driveability problems, ABS, SRS, transmission or body computer problems can't be done in your local shop. I don't care what kind of OBD-II scanner you have. Take it to the dealer and pay a fortune if you want. And believe me, Nissan isn't far behind.

So go on "Taking photos of ricerz.." as stated in your profile and let people like me bail you out when your car doesn't start.
Old 09-30-2002, 03:02 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

shaddup... my bolted ghetto wheels are sold.... now i'm rollin on them badass frisbee donuts

I'd like to see your car and what makes you so arrogant over everyone on the board hehe
Old 09-30-2002, 03:04 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

[/QUOTE]There are several makes of cars out there that require a trip to the dealer on the back of a tow truck if they get a DEAD BATTERY. They need to be reprogrammed at a dealership before they'll even start up again. And that's only the beginning. Things like programming security keys, diagnosing any number of driveability problems, ABS, SRS, transmission or body computer problems can't be done in your local shop. I don't care what kind of OBD-II scanner you have. Take it to the dealer and pay a fortune if you want. And believe me, Nissan isn't far behind.

So go on "Taking photos of ricerz.." as stated in your profile and let people like me bail you out when your car doesn't start. [/B][/QUOTE]

you lost me when you started talking about that... your callin everyone trolls and yet you are enought of a "troll" to come back and take the effort to reply several times....

i'm proud of being a troll
Old 09-30-2002, 03:10 PM

I'm not calling everyone a troll. Just ivelweyz.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:01 PM

I'm not calling everyone a troll. Just ivelweyz.
don't worry, they're just protecting their own kind
Old 09-30-2002, 06:03 PM
Administrator

i actually thought it was a good link nice info in there
Old 09-30-2002, 06:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Old 09-30-2002, 06:13 PM

Well, shame on me I posted the wrong link - it's fixed now.

That guy's still a troll though...
Old 09-30-2002, 07:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are the codes they are to release any different then the ones found in the FSM? If no, then why is this a big deal? Garages could just get the FSMs, though it would be expensive. Of course, to make money, you got to spend some. Unless these codes contain manufacturer specific ones that can be used to tune yor car, ie advance or retard ignition timing, I really dont't see how this helps the enthusiast out who probably has the FSM already. I guess for the avergae Joe its nice, but does it really change anything. BTW, I'm not a troll, j/k
Old 10-01-2002, 02:45 AM

What I'm saying is as cars get more advanced you need special equipment to reprogram the vehicles. It just isn't a matter of pulling codes anymore with an OBII scanner. For example, if a battery goes dead in a late model VW, then the computer needs to be reprogrammed with a special scanner called a "VAG", which only a VW or Audi dealer has. You can't buy one, no matter how much money you have. So this means that the independant repair shop is up the creek and has to send it to the dealer. This is true of a number of different auto makes - with a Tech II for a GM, a dealer downloads updated software from GM over the phone line. Ford and Chrysler have their own "proprietary" scanners as well. Some of these can indeed be purchased aftermarket, but at several thousand dollars each it would get very expensive to have every scanner for every make in my shop. European vehicles to this day are the most difficult and just will not release any of there information to anyone. Sometimes we just scratch our heads send the vehicle off to the dealership. Actually, Nissan is one of the few vehicles left that doesn't utilize a system like this, but that will change soon as it's just a better way of doing things - the ability to upload updated software to the vehicle's computer is definately a step forward. Sort of like a BIOS update for your computer. Also, on those other makes of cars there are some systems we just can't access with an OBD-II scanner, such as ABS or transmission computers on European vehicles - can't be done.
Back in 1986 they passed a law which said that every vehicle sold in the US had to have an OBD-II plug so anybody could plug a generic OBD-II scanner into a vehicle to access data. This was passed in congress under pressure from lobbyists representing the independant repair industry. This is why you can access codes on Nissans today. Previously, Nissan didn't have to release that information and you were screwed unless you went to a dealer. However, over time the automakers decided that while you could access rudimentary codes and were able to physically plug your scanner in, that was good enough. There are still systems in most vehicles you can't access with a generic OBD-II scanner.
So, once again over the past couple of years the've been lobbying congress to "standardize" things once again. This will probably result in a whole new type of generic scanner, maybe called an "OBD-III" which can be used to plug into ANY vehicle and access and reprogram data as needed. Believe, me this has been killing the small repair shop over the last few years.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What I'm saying is as cars get more advanced you need special equipment to reprogram the vehicles. It just isn't a matter of pulling codes anymore with an OBII scanner. For example, if a battery goes dead in a late model VW, then the computer needs to be reprogrammed with a special scanner called a "VAG", which only a VW or Audi dealer has. You can't buy one, no matter how much money you have. So this means that the independant repair shop is up the creek and has to send it to the dealer. This is true of a number of different auto makes - with a Tech II for a GM, a dealer downloads updated software from GM over the phone line. Ford and Chrysler have their own "proprietary" scanners as well. Some of these can indeed be purchased aftermarket, but at several thousand dollars each it would get very expensive to have every scanner for every make in my shop. European vehicles to this day are the most difficult and just will not release any of there information to anyone. Sometimes we just scratch our heads send the vehicle off to the dealership. Actually, Nissan is one of the few vehicles left that doesn't utilize a system like this, but that will change soon as it's just a better way of doing things - the ability to upload updated software to the vehicle's computer is definately a step forward. Sort of like a BIOS update for your computer. Also, on those other makes of cars there are some systems we just can't access with an OBD-II scanner, such as ABS or transmission computers on European vehicles - can't be done.
Back in 1986 they passed a law which said that every vehicle sold in the US had to have an OBD-II plug so anybody could plug a generic OBD-II scanner into a vehicle to access data. This was passed in congress under pressure from lobbyists representing the independant repair industry. This is why you can access codes on Nissans today. Previously, Nissan didn't have to release that information and you were screwed unless you went to a dealer. However, over time the automakers decided that while you could access rudimentary codes and were able to physically plug your scanner in, that was good enough. There are still systems in most vehicles you can't access with a generic OBD-II scanner.
So, once again over the past couple of years the've been lobbying congress to "standardize" things once again. This will probably result in a whole new type of generic scanner, maybe called an "OBD-III" which can be used to plug into ANY vehicle and access and reprogram data as needed. Believe, me this has been killing the small repair shop over the last few years.
Does this then mean that we will have access to codes not supplied in the FSM, the ones relevant to ECU parameters and so forth? If so, I agree, this is a big step.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:14 PM
ivelweyz

Blah, blah, blah...

No, I'm just annoyed by people like you who are too stupid to see the significance of it and therefore it must by my fault that I wasted your time by having you click on my thread.

I have proof of your stupidity because you obviously have nothing better to do than float around message boards trolling people. And I can prove you're a troll because:

A. A troll posts such messages to get attention. True - because your post had no use whatsoever other than to make yourself feel important.

B. A troll disrupts message boards. True - because if this continues it will likely get locked or deleted.

C. A troll just makes trouble. True - Again, comments like yours are justified in your small brain only by the fact that you seem to consider it a let down, or you were somehow cheated out of some kind of usefull information by clicking on this thread. What a waste of time right? I don't think so. You're bored, that's all.

Now, to explain the significance of the original topic. First of all, CNN thought it was important and soon enough a lot of people here will as well. I realize it as well, as I have been running a repair shop for the last 16 years - KIDDO. Maybe nobody here understands the significance, but I think it's important and mark my words, those codes and how to access them will be on a sticky on the front page in time.

There are several makes of cars out there that require a trip to the dealer on the back of a tow truck if they get a DEAD BATTERY. They need to be reprogrammed at a dealership before they'll even start up again. And that's only the beginning. Things like programming security keys, diagnosing any number of driveability problems, ABS, SRS, transmission or body computer problems can't be done in your local shop. I don't care what kind of OBD-II scanner you have. Take it to the dealer and pay a fortune if you want. And believe me, Nissan isn't far behind.

So go on "Taking photos of ricerz.." as stated in your profile and let people like me bail you out when your car doesn't start.
Well buddy, all I said was that the info was posted before. Maybe I should have been nicer and told you to use the search before you decide to post old news like almost everyone else does. By the way this whole thing started because you posted the wrong friggin' link anyway. If you put up the link you wanted to in the first place none of this would have hapenned. I'm in no way a troll, I just tried to adapt to the way some people on the ORG are. Whenever someone who's been on this board for years says what I did you'd probably say " sorry didn't know that ", but if someone new like me posted that you start going off on me...