General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

how to avoid speeding ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 02:39 PM
RodolfoGraziani

how to avoid speeding ticket?

GEORGIA ..on Hwy 316, i was supposedly doing 85MPH on a 65Mph road.
<br> the cop was on the opposite traffic lane (going west bound), speeding about 70MPH, and i was on the other lane (going east bound). He took a sharp U-turn and caught me. he told me that i was doing 85, when i asked him to see the radar gun, he said it isn't required by the law. is there anyway that i can plead not guility and win this case?? i am 20, and this 20MPH over the limit will get my license revoked in GEORGIA.. please HELP.

Old 09-29-2002, 03:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: how to avoid speeding ticket?

Originally posted by RodolfoGraziani
<br> the cop was on the opposite traffic lane (going west bound), speeding about 70MPH, and i was on the other lane (going east bound). He took a sharp U-turn and caught me. he told me that i was doing 85, when i asked him to see the radar gun, he said it isn't required by the law. is there anyway that i can plead not guility and win this case?? i am 20, and this 20MPH over the limit will get my license revoked in GEORGIA.. please HELP.
ITS REQUIRED BY THE LAW IN GEORGIA. Just go to the court and tell the judge that......they should drop your ticket

btw, my court date for the speeding ticket that I got is on Oct. 24. The officer didn't ask me if I wanna see the radar gun, I think the court should drop my ticket....b/c its required by the law that they offer you to see it

good luck
Old 09-29-2002, 04:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

dont know how it is in Georgia

but here in PA they must show you how they clocked you if you ask them that is the law and that is kinda shady he was going in the opposite direction as you. I would definelty take it to court especially if you asked to see the gun and he said no. You should win this one! Good Luck
Old 09-29-2002, 05:51 PM

Re: dont know how it is in Georgia

in ga if your 21 and under, 24 over the limit is loss of license
Old 09-30-2002, 01:37 AM

don't speed
Old 09-30-2002, 01:39 AM

Re: Re: how to avoid speeding ticket?

Originally posted by pezking4
don't speed

I've had one before though, good luck with getting it dropped. I just got mine reduced by a D.A. so I wouldn't get in to too much trouble, just had to pay $100.
Old 09-30-2002, 03:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: how to avoid speeding ticket?

Originally posted by pezking4

I've had one before though, good luck with getting it dropped. I just got mine reduced by a D.A. so I wouldn't get in to too much trouble, just had to pay $100.
Just curious, what are we talking about, if you ask to see the radar you mean the cop has to invite you into his car and move the box of donuts over and show you the reading? Isn't that a safety risk for him since you may accidentally sit on the donuts if he forgets to move the box?

But seriously, I'm not sure why the cop has to show it to you. They always can simply write the ticket as "too fast for conditions" and you will get more points that way anyhow. "Too fast" is totally subjective, and in my opinion the cop's trump card.

Seems to me from what I heard pleading not guilty is a no-brainer, however what happens next varies. I know in CT my bro' got the fine cut in 1/2 but it was still over $200 and the points were reduced. They WERE NOT willing to drop it, and if he insisted on not guilty after the first appearance the DA said he would have to return and face the possibility of the full fine and points. I've heard in upstate NY people have gotten off altogether at the local PD level, but not State Police level. I've heard of people in MA appearing and getting the full fine and no break.

Just weigh the alternatives and mentally prepare yourself. It's all about odds. If your state requires a suspension, then you should make plans on that as the "worst case scenario." Anything better is gravy. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2002, 04:38 AM

you can also ask what kind of radar he was using. Some are better than others. Also, note the conditions. Radar is not as reliable in crappy rainy weather.
Old 09-30-2002, 04:41 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: how to avoid speeding ticket?

in CT if you pay your ticket without going to court you don't get any points
Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Just curious, what are we talking about, if you ask to see the radar you mean the cop has to invite you into his car and move the box of donuts over and show you the reading? Isn't that a safety risk for him since you may accidentally sit on the donuts if he forgets to move the box?

But seriously, I'm not sure why the cop has to show it to you. They always can simply write the ticket as "too fast for conditions" and you will get more points that way anyhow. "Too fast" is totally subjective, and in my opinion the cop's trump card.

Seems to me from what I heard pleading not guilty is a no-brainer, however what happens next varies. I know in CT my bro' got the fine cut in 1/2 but it was still over $200 and the points were reduced. They WERE NOT willing to drop it, and if he insisted on not guilty after the first appearance the DA said he would have to return and face the possibility of the full fine and points. I've heard in upstate NY people have gotten off altogether at the local PD level, but not State Police level. I've heard of people in MA appearing and getting the full fine and no break.

Just weigh the alternatives and mentally prepare yourself. It's all about odds. If your state requires a suspension, then you should make plans on that as the "worst case scenario." Anything better is gravy. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2002, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax

in CT if you pay your ticket without going to court you don't get any points
Wow that's a great deal. A $200 fine is nothing compared to how much the insurance company rapes you per ticket.

A cop can clock you from oncoming traffic depending on what type of radar he has. If you have a decent radar detector, then you would know for sure if he clocked you or not.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:27 AM

hire a lawyer and say **** the police. my friend got nabbed the same way you did going 88 in a 65, he got no points and paid half the fine but had to go to driving school. this is in fl btw.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: how to avoid speeding ticket?

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine
...I've heard of people in MA appearing and getting the full fine and no break...

Three MA court appearances: 2 @ full fine, one reduced to 65 in 55 (minimum). I was there with about 2 dozen others, and out of the 15 or so that went before me the last time one got dropped, a few got lowered, but most were full fine.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:01 AM

You Morons, the lot of ye....

Sheesh, where do I start? No time, so here is a quick reply...

ALL MOVING RADAR WILL CLOCK YOU FROM OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS OF TRAVEL!
Almost all of them can clock you coming toward them in opposite directions of travel, and most can also clock you going away after you have passed. Most new moving radars can also clock you going in the same direction of the police vehicle, in front or behind. The TOTAL ignorance in this thread is amusing.

Most states do not require an officer to show a radar display to an offending driver, and NONE NONE NONE NONE NONE NONE require the officer to ask if you want to see it!!!!!!! Most states do not require the officer to tell you HOW they clocked you! BTW, you don't have to be clocked with a radar, they can pace you, visually observe excessive speed, use an aircraft to time you between two points, or time you themselves.

Oh, and you can visually estimate the officer was going 70 mph?? Riiiiightttt.....

Lastly,
I use a radar detector, usefull little bugger. But Instant-on radar when used will ALWAYS beat a radar detector. I can get a speed reading with a micorsecond burst that will NOT trigger the full detector alert, even from 10 feet away. Just thought you would like to know that.

PS. to avoid a ticket? DON'T SPEED! You already GOT the ticket! Dork.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:32 AM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Originally posted by fst96se

Almost all of them can clock you coming toward them in opposite directions of travel, and most can also clock you going away after you have passed. Most new moving radars can also clock you going in the same direction of the police vehicle, in front or behind. The TOTAL ignorance in this thread is amusing.

Most states do not require an officer to show a radar display to an offending driver, and NONE NONE NONE NONE NONE NONE require the officer to ask if you want to see it!!!!!!! Most states do not require the officer to tell you HOW they clocked you! BTW, you don't have to be clocked with a radar, they can pace you, visually observe excessive speed, use an aircraft to time you between two points, or time you themselves.

Oh, and you can visually estimate the officer was going 70 mph?? Riiiiightttt.....

Lastly,
I use a radar detector, usefull little bugger. But Instant-on radar when used will ALWAYS beat a radar detector. I can get a speed reading with a micorsecond burst that will NOT trigger the full detector alert, even from 10 feet away. Just thought you would like to know that.

Oh and you are supposed to know what your talking about or something?

Old 09-30-2002, 11:35 AM

Well, I don't have any additional advice for getting out of a ticket, but here is a good article on how to avoid getting one in the first place.

http://www.bmcno.org/fearless_flying.htm
Old 09-30-2002, 11:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lastly,

"DON'T SPEED!" Huh? Then why do you have a friggin radar detector?
Old 09-30-2002, 12:29 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Lastly,

Let the "flame war" begin, folks! The guy asks for advice, and the best you can do is call him a DORK?? Makes one wonder WHO'S THE DORK in this picture...

The total ignorance in YOUR thread is amusing....
Old 09-30-2002, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by ineednos

"DON'T SPEED!" Huh? Then why do you have a friggin radar detector?
You DUMASS!! I said if you don't want a TICKET don't speed! You speed, be willing to ACCEPT the consequences. Apparently that was WAY over your noob head.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:31 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

It's annoying when people constantly ask how do get out of breaking the law.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by nubiannupe

Let the "flame war" begin, folks! The guy asks for advice, and the best you can do is call him a DORK?? Makes one wonder WHO'S THE DORK in this picture...

The total ignorance in YOUR thread is amusing....
You and I have been members of this forum for two years, in fact, we joined the same month... You aren't some punk highschool kid, but you are defending ANOTHER worthless "I broKe the LaWZ n' NEeeeeD AdvIIZZZEEE" thread.

I gave a WHOLE lot more to this thread than just calling the guy a DORK. He is asking how to AVOID a ticket, and guess what....he already has one. Now go back and read my post.

There was a thread a while back where myself and some other police officers on the board were discussing why we rarely address threads like this. Call this a case in point.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t=police+forum

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....0&pagenumber=2
Old 09-30-2002, 12:48 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

All I'm saying is that all that "song-and-dance" about radar could've been summed up in ONE SIMPLE SENTENCE:

to avoid a ticket? DON'T SPEED!
No need to beat him down with your "words of wisdom".

Peace be unto you.....
Old 09-30-2002, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by nubiannupe
All I'm saying is that all that "song-and-dance" about radar could've been summed up in ONE SIMPLE SENTENCE:

No need to beat him down with your "words of wisdom".

Peace be unto you.....
Thanks
Old 09-30-2002, 12:55 PM

The correct answer to the question in this thread is "do not speed". I'm not trying to preach here, but I am 21 years old, not much older then you. There will be a point in your life when your adrenaline rush of "speeding" disappears, or at the very least gets smaller as your maturity level goes up. I used to speed all the time, driving like a mad man. Must be something about finally being able to drive and being young. I was fortunate I've only had 2 speeding tickets in my life. One was over 2 years ago (65 in 40), the other was when I was 16 (80 in a 40). To make it more embaressing they were both at the same spot. Nowadays, I do admit if I'm in the mood I'll nail it wide open and do a rapid burst of acceleration, but the days of sustaining 100 mph+ are over, even on my Honda CBR sportsbike. Infact I rarely go over 80 even on the highway. Oh yeah, it will really hit you when somebody you know close to you DIES racing showing off "speed". Racing, road raging and speeding on the street is pointless. I dont know how many close calls I've had doing that in my teenage years. I count my blessings I havent been shot, wrapped around a tree or without my license. Save racing for the drag strip where you WONT get a ticket there!

Another thing- the people who rag on police need a reality check. If you have any family or close friends who are or becoming police officers you'd understand what kind of job they have. I admit, some of them can push their powers around especially if they are bored and have nothing else better to do. I've had my fair share of police dealings but lets keep in mind that, who is the FIRST person you call and expect something to happen if your car is 1) stolen 2) car jacked 3) broken into 4) vandalized 5) gets into an accident 6) is being chased down by somebody? Next time anything like that happens say "hey copper, please bring donuts while you're at it".
Old 09-30-2002, 12:57 PM
RodolfoGraziani

Overspeeding Cops, Flashing Donuts, Health Hazards

Hey, that was my bro posting...he used that on his twinturbo.net and mine beloved maxima.org.

He's facing $100 fine and 3 points from license if he feels like pleading guilty ...but lets face it...these folks were the regular good ol' boys from local-out-of-nowhere rednecked town busting around in their f o r d c r o w n v i c

The gun they used...was a cheap pistol type sh=t, older than Gen. Robert E Lee's beloved 6 shooter.

And when's the last time I saw the local country police shooting radar from opposite traffic???? N E V E R.

That's why one of those crownies get hunkered down in the middle/side of the road and signal the other crowny at the farther stream down the road.

You ask why people speed. That's because
1. nice car, non-Honduhs
2. 99% of speeders don't get caught
3. 55/65 mph highway is ridiculous, that's why all cops speed 25% extra on these roads

Old 09-30-2002, 01:04 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

I speed.. I have a radar dector... If I get caught speeding.. I pay the fine...

If you speed, 10 MPH or over, and get a ticket.. either pay a lawyer to get you off or pay the court and possibly the insurance company

I do not hate cops, they have a job to do and sometimes I get to help them do there job by breaking the law and them catching me. SO I understand thier role and understand my role.

NOW know yours
Old 09-30-2002, 01:06 PM

Re: Overspeeding Cops, Flashing Donuts, Health Hazards

Hey, that was my bro posting...he used that on his twinturbo.net and mine beloved maxima.org.

He's facing $100 fine and 3 points from license if he feels like pleading guilty ...but lets face it...these folks were the regular good ol' boys from local-out-of-nowhere rednecked town busting around in their f o r d c r o w n v i c

The gun they used...was a cheap pistol type sh=t, older than Gen. Robert E Lee's beloved 6 shooter.

And when's the last time I saw the local country police shooting radar from opposite traffic???? N E V E R.

That's why one of those crownies get hunkered down in the middle/side of the road and signal the other crowny at the farther stream down the road.

BTW, this is a legal and often used tactic. Nothing wrong with it at all. Last week I sat in my personal expedition, clocking kids at lunch on a residential street. I would clock their speed and call make and model to a marked car around the corner who would make the stop. We had a line of 8 cars!

BTW, Georgia has some hardcore cops. I find it VERY hard to believe that they don't use top notch equipment. Were you in the patrol car? Did you examine the radar that clocked your "brother"? Sure....
Old 09-30-2002, 01:29 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Overspeeding Cops, Flashing Donuts, Health Hazards

BTW....Did you examine the radar that clocked your "brother"? Sure....
Shawn, they probably wouldn't know a K-ll, K-55 (or any other stand-alone/mounted unit) from a hole in the ground. But then again, you never know...
Old 09-30-2002, 01:34 PM
RodolfoGraziani

Replied Reply

Many GA cops, around Atlanta and Augusta, plus the officer population that belong straight to state troopers are very highly trained, bred, and equipped (Impala)

But GA wants to populate these elite officers around major cities (Atlanta), on Interstate highways (I-85, I-75, and a few on I-20).

No offence to anyone, no harm intended.
I personally have clean record of my entire 9 years of driving. When I sold my civic early this year it was clean and shiny.

And I just cleaned the living hell out of my throttle body/combustion chamber!!!

Just to remind all about those 300zx twinturbos...you will know how hard it is to speed under 80 mph.

With my lightweight max, fully autoed, I was "gone in less than 60 sec"

Old 09-30-2002, 01:44 PM
RodolfoGraziani

Black Widowed

My clean record...

Say "Black Widow"
the best money can buy.

Black Widow doesn't talk trash, doesn't understand K-II.

Besides, I never cut in front of cops in respect.
And always I let them speed over the limit and blow the doors off my max

Old 09-30-2002, 03:13 PM

?!?!

You can't bribe them anymore?! Great, Now I have to come up with new ideas when I get my license soon.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:03 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: Re: Overspeeding Cops, Flashing Donuts, Health Hazards

BTW, this is a legal and often used tactic. Nothing wrong with it at all. Last week I sat in my personal expedition, clocking kids at lunch on a residential street. I would clock their speed and call make and model to a marked car around the corner who would make the stop. We had a line of 8 cars!

BTW, Georgia has some hardcore cops. I find it VERY hard to believe that they don't use top notch equipment. Were you in the patrol car? Did you examine the radar that clocked your "brother"? Sure....

yeah GA does have some hardcore cops..just gotta know where they are..

and they are very sneaky hanging out on top of bridges getting you with laser then the radio another cop on the highway to pull you over.

But, when I do get caught.. I respect them.. Again, cops are people too.. and they don't need any BS from me... and sometimes being respectful will get you a warning... worst case you do not pi$$ off the cop and he does not look for any other tickets to give you
Old 10-01-2002, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by T-bone
you can also ask what kind of radar he was using. Some are better than others. Also, note the conditions. Radar is not as reliable in crappy rainy weather.
In Canada, the cop doesn't need a radar. He could make something up and bs in court. That's what happened to me (he claimed that he clocked me but didn't save it so he couldn't show it to me when I asked him to see it on the radar). And if you ask technical questions about the use of the radar, the judge will just say you need a radar expert. (We all know radars have a very wide band 1 km away which can easily trap multiple cars).
It's sickening. I hope the US state laws allow for more rights.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:13 PM
It's chrome alright...

I've only seen one of my two favorite answers... how to avoid speeding tickets?

a) don't speed
b) have b**bs and show some cleavage (only works if female)
Old 10-02-2002, 04:26 AM

Originally posted by maxse91

Oh and you are supposed to know what your talking about or something?

What he says is pretty accurate. To get back to the original poster, he was going 85 on a very busy highway that is not limited access and is prone to little old ladies and idiots finding their way onto the highway in front of oncoming traffic.
Further, the highway is chock full of police at any given time. If Rodolfo doesn't have the sense god gave a donkey to stay within 10-15mph of the posted speed limit on this stretch of highway, he deserves a ticket and loss of license.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:09 PM
RodolfoGraziani

been 316een lately?

go and see.
85 mph is on the fast side...but 90% people put their auto-mobiles to 80mph.

And if there are 3 people doing 90, cops don't give sh-t and let the flow flow.

The last time I did 95 on that road, I saw two coppers who transformed themselves from being images in my back mirror to racing machines--I had to change lane to yield!!! They were doing 110+. God have mercy on those FORDS!

Old 10-02-2002, 10:16 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

honestly i'm paranoid and i always watch cops that pass me. if they hit the brakes i'm GONE. watch you back and it will help.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Slowpoke

Wow that's a great deal. A $200 fine is nothing compared to how much the insurance company rapes you per ticket.

A cop can clock you from oncoming traffic depending on what type of radar he has. If you have a decent radar detector, then you would know for sure if he clocked you or not.
My insurance premium went up like $12 / month per year, that's like 120 a year and then it went back down, that's state farm. Thus, my premium was hardly rapage.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Bandit
My insurance premium went up like $12 / month per year, that's like 120 a year and then it went back down, that's state farm. Thus, my premium was hardly rapage.
It depends where you live I guess. Here in Massachusetts I think a ticket stays on your record for 6 years. So 6 years x $120/yr is $720, and that's assuming your insurance only goes up $120. I consider that rapage.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:40 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Slowpoke

It depends where you live I guess. Here in Massachusetts I think a ticket stays on your record for 6 years. So 6 years x $120/yr is $720, and that's assuming your insurance only goes up $120. I consider that rapage.
ya mine went up 300 bucks for 6 years. that's ridiculous. 1800 dollars plus the fine for the ticket ans they wonder why people fight them.