General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

pathfinder: file this in the ONE MORE F*CKIN thing dept

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 03:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

pathfinder: file this in the ONE MORE F*CKIN thing dept

Ok so I was getting ready to go to the gym. I go out to my 95Pathfinder, and it won't start. Power's fine, but just turn the key and nothing. No click, no nothing. Like most standards, it has an inhibitor switch so you can't start it with the clutch engaged. It is behaving exactly as it would if the clutch pedal weren't depressed and you tried to start it, if that makes sense. Except in this case, the clutch is down. I've tried going into gear and into neutral, I've checked all fuses. I hope it's not the starter -- but if it was the starter, would it just STOP engaging like that? My instinct is that the problem is more basic than that and closer to the switches themselves...

WTF?
Old 09-29-2002, 04:05 PM

ran into an older pathfinder yesterday

and his was turning but was not starting him and his buddies were talking about the fuel pump and stuff but since yours did not even turn over then it should not be your starter because you would have heard it tryin to turn. If you heard nothing at all try checking the battery other than those simple things I am not to mechanically advcanced besides those types of problems I just mentioned! Good Luck
Old 09-29-2002, 04:12 PM

Re: ran into an older pathfinder yesterday

Originally posted by Kevincleff
and his was turning but was not starting him and his buddies were talking about the fuel pump and stuff but since yours did not even turn over then it should not be your starter because you would have heard it tryin to turn. If you heard nothing at all try checking the battery other than those simple things I am not to mechanically advcanced besides those types of problems I just mentioned! Good Luck
Thanks dude. Battery is ok. One thing I was going to do was try to get at the starter to make sure it's getting power but I need to move the truck, really, to accomplish that -- it's on the street right now.. I think I'm just going to have it towed in the AM over to a guy who's worked on it before and I have a decent feel for them. Hopefully it's just the inhibitor switch or something.
Old 09-29-2002, 04:52 PM

try popping the clutch

if the starter won't turn over and you need to get it running just pop the clutch its easy to do: 1. turn the key to the on position 2. out it in first gear with the clutch down 3. have someone push you while you have the clutch down 4. once you get moving a good speed 3-5MPH relese the clutch quickly and the enging should start turning and it should fire up.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:02 PM

Re: try popping the clutch

actually u have to do that in second...
Old 09-29-2002, 08:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

check the battery terminals. my max does it all of the time. Make sure your battery terminal things are tightened down good. Sometimes it will touch enough to power the stuff that turns on when the key does, but when you try to start it the starter requires a lot of juice and if the connectors aren't touching the terminals good enough it won't start.
Old 09-29-2002, 09:21 PM

Re: Re: try popping the clutch

Originally posted by lophix
actually u have to do that in second...
why? when my starter went out i used first gear as well as reverse.
Old 09-29-2002, 10:03 PM

Smack your starter with a hammer and see if it starts up then. Starters just go.. sounds like a starter problem to me.
Old 09-29-2002, 10:11 PM

dont' starter usually make atlest a click when they go out. when they don't make any noise at all i think it's usually electronics.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by mtcookson
dont' starter usually make atlest a click when they go out. when they don't make any noise at all i think it's usually electronics.

Yeh. No clickie.

I went out this morning and it started fine. Started fine like four more times today. WTF?

Old 09-30-2002, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by MaineI30

Yeh. No clickie.

I went out this morning and it started fine. Started fine like four more times today. WTF?

This seems to be an issue with the Nissan starters. The solenoids don't like to work sometimes, which is why hitting them with a hammer sometimes solves the problem. They won't always click either. When mine finally died I turned the key and it was like the battery wasn't even hooked up. I'm assuming the Pathfinder would be similar.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:30 PM

for me it's always been the connectors on the battery terminals not being tightened down all of the way.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:34 PM
Granny Driven

U have a 5spd pathfinder?? I love the 2k2 5 spd pathfinders. they even have a coil over kit for them now.