General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Where'd You Learn

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 02:21 PM

Where'd You Learn

it seems there are a lot of people on the org that know a ton about their maximas and other cars in general. did you all go to school to learn about this stuff or did you just learn it by researching stuff on the net/daily talk? another big question is for anybody being a mechanic as a career, what is the potential/highest income in this field for somebody that is highly motivated and is interested in pursuing an automotive career? bieng only 20 i want to find a line of work and devote all of my attention to it and cars seems to be the only thing i am/have been interested in. thanks
Old 10-02-2002, 02:53 PM

well..im in high school and my school has a very good auto tech class. thats where i learn a lot about engines and such..we build the cars then take them to auto-x and the students get to drive them. if you are a mechanic for a dealership, they will most likely pay you by the hour..so more you work more you get.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:25 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

i learned by taken stuff and not having a ride to work the next day so i had no choice but to fix it.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:31 PM

Hands on experience. Doing work yourself saves money. Me being a poor college boy, I like to save all the money I can.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:32 PM

Re: Where'd You Learn

Originally posted by MAX89'
it seems there are a lot of people on the org that know a ton about their maximas and other cars in general. did you all go to school to learn about this stuff or did you just learn it by researching stuff on the net/daily talk? another big question is for anybody being a mechanic as a career, what is the potential/highest income in this field for somebody that is highly motivated and is interested in pursuing an automotive career? bieng only 20 i want to find a line of work and devote all of my attention to it and cars seems to be the only thing i am/have been interested in. thanks
Try to get a job with a racing team or something along those lines, like TRD.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:04 PM

Re: Re: Where'd You Learn

from reading this .org daily, open up your own shop and make the $$
Old 10-02-2002, 04:21 PM

Dare I say it...

I do...

FAQ-U!
Old 10-02-2002, 04:58 PM
Maxima06071

I get my "good" info from listening to these old farts all day...

Old 10-02-2002, 05:29 PM

Ode to my Maxima:

My car is the $hit, right from the lot...
I drive a Nissan Maxima, and you friend, do not.

You think you are fast, or so I have heard...
But with that "H" on your hood, you look like a nerd.

Corners, twisties or straight in a line...
there is little doubt why my car is so fine.

If you're looking to race, I'm sorry my friend...
You'll be to far behind to read my back end.

My car is the $hit, girls think it's hot...
I drive a Nissan Maxima, and you friend......do not!
-------- DrVOlKl

amen to that...

Just reading what people say everyday and going through faqs and you wont believe the amount of info you will get......suprising i hate school but love maxima.org? I'm learning here everyday, hoping i can put it into practice sometime.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:59 PM
Maxima06071

Originally posted by lophix
Just reading what people say everyday and going through faqs and you wont believe the amount of info you will get......suprising i hate school but love maxima.org? I'm learning here everyday, hoping i can put it into practice sometime.
I know same here, I usually can't stand reading English, Math or History books but I can sit and read engine maps, Dyno results, "How to's" and Track results all day.....I just probably need to get my priorities sorted out.

Old 10-02-2002, 06:12 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I learned most of what i know here
or at least, maxima.org definately invoked the desire in me to learn more.. I wanted a car since 10, i was saving since 13.. i got my 1st car (93 Maxima) at like 16 i think... I was looking to buy a 4 door midsize sedan.. camry, accord, diamonte, maxima and Taurus SHO were all amongst my choices.. i'm damn glad i went with the max.. i'm on my 3rd now and owned nothing but maximas so far.. and i can see myself in a 2k2 in a couple of years i didn't know **** at 1st.. and was a dumb *** newbie.. people like DanNY, Jeff92SE, Matt93SE and a few other 3rd genners were my source for info in the beginning..
Prior to cars.. i used to play sports and have other interests.. now most of my $ goes to the car, and i'm either thinking, driving or reading about cars about 70% of the day
i have a problem
Old 10-02-2002, 06:43 PM
Project Ruby......

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
and i'm either thinking, driving or reading about cars about 70% of the day
i have a problem
I don't own a Maxima since I'm 15, hope to own one in the near future though.

My first word was car, been naming cars since I was 2 (my parents tell me), and I read about cars 90% of the day And you say you have problems NYC

I am no gear head (since I haven't worked on an engine before), but I do know a little bit. Hope to learn even more once I get a Max.

I just read a lot of stuff on here, magazines, and other car enthusiasts sites. Cars are "my passion" I guess you could say. My goal is to have the fastest car at my school, before I'm out of high school. I don't know why, it just is. I'll probably always own some type of sports car in my life.

NOTE-TO-SELF: I need to get a life
Old 10-02-2002, 07:14 PM

Re: Re: Where'd You Learn

Originally posted by voltman

Try to get a job with a racing team or something along those lines, like TRD.
how do you go about doing that?
Old 10-02-2002, 07:26 PM
Maxima06071

Originally posted by 4DRSpeed

I don't own a Maxima since I'm 15, hope to own one in the near future though.

My first word was car, been naming cars since I was 2 (my parents tell me), and I read about cars 90% of the day And you say you have problems NYC

I am no gear head (since I haven't worked on an engine before), but I do know a little bit. Hope to learn even more once I get a Max.

I just read a lot of stuff on here, magazines, and other car enthusiasts sites. Cars are "my passion" I guess you could say. My goal is to have the fastest car at my school, before I'm out of high school. I don't know why, it just is. I'll probably always own some type of sports car in my life.NOTE-TO-SELF: I need to get a life
Do you like to try to name as many cars as you can while driving down the road, like as you see them, 1997-2001 Camry, 1994-1998Caravan, 1995-1996 Eslipse GT-S, 2000 Mustang GT, stuff like that. I do it all the time, my dad usually get's ****ed off and tells me to shut up!

Old 10-02-2002, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by nismo2020
i learned by taken stuff and not having a ride to work the next day so i had no choice but to fix it.
LOL, I'm in that phase now... Thank god for the .org or there might be days on end I wouldn't be able to drive my max.

The best way to learn about anything is to get right into the thick of it, hands on. It does of course help to have read a little before hand too.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:52 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by nismo2020

also helping those work on there cars and then trying to give them a ride to work in the morning
Old 10-02-2002, 08:02 PM

I am a current student at LTI for Automotive amd I work as a tech for Nissan in my home town. I also had 3 years of autoshop in high school and alot of reading. Honestly I can tell you there is alot to learna dn you cant be a good tech without putting some time in to it. alot of hands on and whatnot. A tech work for flat rate which is basically you work on a car and you get paid for the job. So you can stay for 8 hours and have like 15 hours on the clock or you can have 3 hours. It all epends how good of work do you get. Its its all oli changes and such your not going to make anything. The big jobs pay alot because you can noramlly do them quicker then the book time. As the pay, it all depends on what you have. Any ASE certifications? What kind of grades. Right now I am going to take two ASE tests coming up in a month. If I pass them i will be certified in Engines and electrics. MOst tech make between 15 to 30 dollars a hour
Old 10-02-2002, 09:54 PM

the common thread here is that everybody sorta learned on their own. i don't worry about all the simple stuff that can be fixed using your standard toolbox, the BIG question is how do us normal guys w/o a shop work on a car. i find it near impossible to find the space/time to do anything significant to my car even if it's taking it to a shop. what can i say i need my ride 24-7 and when it's unavailable i get ****ed.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:17 PM

I learned by looking thru different forums especially this one, <b>Using the Search button</b> Reading and buying lots and lots of magazines. Also going thru the chilton's repair manuals. Going to different performance or audio shops and getting ther expertise to solve my car problems. Took all three auto classes in High school. Installing stuff on my car that i am capable of doing. I have also learned stuff from installing stuff on my old car, especially audio equipment. I am planning on getting a adjustable fuel pressure regulator and installing it with some help, since my car is running lean, which is a good thing to learn.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:31 AM
Project Ruby......

Originally posted by Maxima06071
Do you like to try to name as many cars as you can while driving down the road, like as you see them, 1997-2001 Camry, 1994-1998Caravan, 1995-1996 Eslipse GT-S, 2000 Mustang GT, stuff like that. I do it all the time, my dad usually get's ****ed off and tells me to shut up!
I sometimes do it. I sometimes have competitions with my dad, and I whoop his ***