General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What did you buy with your STUDENT LOANS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 01:23 PM

What did you buy with your STUDENT LOANS?

I was just wondering because I have about $10k saved in student loans and we all know that student loans are some of the best loans you can get.

Would it be a smart idea to use the $$ as a down payment on a new car or house, etc.?

Later
Old 10-09-2002, 01:33 PM
Getting back to his roots

Re: What did you buy with your STUDENT LOANS?

Originally posted by AKAICEBERG
I was just wondering because I have about $10k saved in student loans and we all know that student loans are some of the best loans you can get.

Would it be a smart idea to use the $$ as a down payment on a new car or house, etc.?

Later
I paid for college with my student loans
Old 10-09-2002, 01:35 PM
Administrator

isa neva bin to collge sah
Old 10-09-2002, 01:36 PM

Re: Re: What did you buy with your STUDENT LOANS?

Originally posted by Mizeree_X

LAME! j/k

i bought my max! i had about 6k saved, put a downpayment on my car.
i rather pay back the free interest loan
Old 10-09-2002, 01:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

...rent...
Old 10-09-2002, 02:01 PM
STFU n00b!

You could be like me and pay your tuition with it, or you could be like Russ and buy a Sentra, Altima, 2Kse, 2K1SE, Cracura, Jet ski, digi cam, a TRUCK, several computers...

what else has be paid for with student loans?
Old 10-09-2002, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
isa neva bin to collge sah
lol!

I consistently bought guitar pedals with my extra $$$ from loans each semester. I just hate the idea of all that money I have to pay back!

I don't use student loans right now, though I may get them again just to get the cash and maybe invest in stocks or mutual funds.

To my grantors, that last statement should read, "...invest in higher learning".
Old 10-09-2002, 03:18 PM

I paid for college. How did you guys save student loan money? The student loans I was given only covered a fraction of my tuition.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:20 PM
Custom User Title...

Originally posted by Slowpoke
I paid for college. How did you guys save student loan money? The student loans I was given only covered a fraction of my tuition.
same here...
Old 10-09-2002, 03:27 PM
Blu
the tits

same here
Old 10-09-2002, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Matt93SE
You could be like me and pay your tuition with it, or you could be like Russ and buy a Sentra, Altima, 2Kse, 2K1SE, Cracura, Jet ski, digi cam, a TRUCK, several computers...

what else has be paid for with student loans?
sex
Old 10-09-2002, 03:44 PM

[B]we all know that student loans are some of the best loans you can get.
Yeah, until you graduate and the interest starts piling up.

I wish I could afford to save my student loan money... unfortunately I have to pay for school with my loan money.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:46 PM

sex
Ew.... thanks a lot for that mental image...
Old 10-09-2002, 03:47 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

college
Old 10-09-2002, 03:51 PM

I don't need no stinken loans I have a scholarship
Old 10-09-2002, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Canuck
I don't need no stinken loans I have a scholarship
the canadian goverment is hoping they can have more canadians come back and make a smarter country so they pay for your schooling for free
Old 10-09-2002, 04:00 PM

the canadian goverment is hoping they can have more canadians come back and make a smarter country so they pay for your schooling for free
Its actually a scholarship from the Canadian alums from my school, they are a little ****ed that I got a greed card
Old 10-09-2002, 04:00 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

I usually take the grants and decline the loans. The grants are enough for me.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:36 PM

I had grants as well as loans, and they still barely covered half of my total tution + room/board.

Student loan payments suck.. If I didn't have to make payments every month, I could be driving around in a new 330i instead of a 97 maxima.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:39 PM

Well I don't go to know high class ritzy school. I attend Florida International University here in Miami, which is quickly becoming a highly acreditted school. Plus they have one of the best education programs in the nation, which is what I'm majoring in.

My grant pretty much cover my cost of tuition. I actually got some of that free $$ back during my freshman and sophmore year, which helped to pay for books and beer . We now have a football team, which raised the tuition quite a bit, so some of my loan $$ is taken from me, but a huge chunk of it goes to me each semester. I believe my loans are set at 5% interest, which is damn good imho. I also plan on filing an extension so I won't have to start paying the loans back until a year after I graduate.

Later
Old 10-09-2002, 04:45 PM

I didn't get enough grant, so I had to accept the loan too. With the extra that left after paying for the tuition/books, I used the rest to buy new wheels! I know, I know, not good...but I'm almost done with school anyway. This is my first time accepting a student loan btw.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:00 PM

My grant pretty much cover my cost of tuition. I actually got some of that free $$ back during my freshman and sophmore year, which helped to pay for books and beer . We now have a football team, which raised the tuition quite a bit, so some of my loan $$ is taken from me, but a huge chunk of it goes to me each semester. I believe my loans are set at 5% interest, which is damn good imho. I also plan on filing an extension so I won't have to start paying the loans back until a year after I graduate.
You are lucky. The way grants at our school were figured out was they took the difference between tuition and what you can pay. The second amount included out-of-pocket money and student loans. So if tuition was $25,000, and you could pay $10,000 out of your pocket, and got $5,000 in loans, your grant was 25k - (10k+5k) = $10,000. If you had a scholarship, I believe they just gave you a smaller loan.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My medical education, (undergrad was free) and a few vacations.
I finished school with over $80,000 plus interest in loans. All payed off now. That's part of the reason I drive a Max and not a MB. If you have extra cash put down for house not for a car if you can. The house may appreciate faster than your interest, the car never will.

Later
Old 10-09-2002, 10:27 PM

thank you daddy for paying international rate tuition and dorm fees while i sit here on my skinny a$$, ho-ing on maxima.org instead of studying. I am jobless: will work for mods.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:35 PM

Slowpoke: My total tuition for this semester, which is increased because of our newly aquired football team came to around $1200 for 13 credit hours. As you can see I'm not paying private university tuition, which is a god sent. My grant was for $800, so obviously they had to take some from my loans. Ijust started my senior year and I basically have all the loan $$ saved up. Its also hard to tell how much is actually loans because my work income is also mixed in there. I asked the ? because I not sure whether I should just pay all the $$ back once I graduate and get rid of the problem or use the $$ for something important and meaningfull being that its such a low interest rate. I have friend that are paying like $50/month on their student loans.

y sleep: thats some good advice. A house would be a wiser choice being that I will probably leave the Miami or maybe even the state to work.

Later
Old 10-09-2002, 10:36 PM
!OG SNES OG!

Boyz boyz boyz (and girlz)

My wife and I pay $4700 a month in student loans (line of credit, federal and provincial loans). She had about $150K in loans..

mind you, she's a dentist, so we can pay it off, but everything's relative.

"Honey, daddy needs a new mod for his car!"

Oh, and Sprint: you pay for sex? A guy like you I thought would be getting paid for sex

Mike
Old 10-09-2002, 10:41 PM

Re: Boyz boyz boyz (and girlz)

Originally posted by Blaxxxima

Oh, and Sprint: you pay for sex? A guy like you I thought would be getting paid for sex

Mike
for real! i mean we all thought he would be a male h... never mind.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:59 PM

I'm not understanding how a student loan is taken to get a car, house, etc. Is it one of those gigs where the parents fake being needy and then give their kids a full ride to college? I'm fascinated that some parents are willing to pony up the 1040's and actually in a legal sense commit fraud to benefit their kids. I'm sure they mean well nonetheless. At any rate, if a person doesn't need a loan why take on debt? You can pretty much borrow all you want at 0% now as far as consumer credit, but so what? Eventually it has to be paid off, no?
Old 10-10-2002, 12:04 AM
no more maxima...

Old 10-10-2002, 12:25 AM
RodolfoGraziani

hello

hello this is my chance to become an advanced maxima.org member.

So I chose the lamest, dummbest thread I could find.
No offence.

Old 10-10-2002, 01:04 AM
no more maxima...

Re: hello

Who are you talking about?
Originally posted by RodolfoGraziani
hello this is my chance to become an advanced maxima.org member.

So I chose the lamest, dummbest thread I could find.
No offence.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:55 AM

Slowpoke: My total tuition for this semester, which is increased because of our newly aquired football team came to around $1200 for 13 credit hours. As you can see I'm not paying private university tuition, which is a god sent. My grant was for $800, so obviously they had to take some from my loans. Ijust started my senior year and I basically have all the loan $$ saved up. Its also hard to tell how much is actually loans because my work income is also mixed in there. I asked the ? because I not sure whether I should just pay all the $$ back once I graduate and get rid of the problem or use the $$ for something important and meaningfull being that its such a low interest rate. I have friend that are paying like $50/month on their student loans.
Ahh I should have gone to public school like you did. It's the best bang for your buck for sure.

By all means use the money for something meaningful and important. My student loan interest is less than 5%, which is a better rate that you'll probably get on a car loan or mortgage. Once you graduate and get your own place, you will need to buy stuff like furniture. Better to use your student loan money with the low 5% interest rate than to charge it to your credit card. So I guess what I'm saying is, use it for something important to get you on your feet once you graduate, but don't blow it on something frivolous.

This all assumes that you will be financially responsible and you won't miss any payments, etc.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:00 AM

Me too. The best investment for the money, by the way - much, much better than spending it on a car that probably will be in the junkyard in ten to fifteen years. Your education you have the rest of your life.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:13 AM

i survived on government grants back when i was in college.

Whatever I spent it on....pretty much went up in smoke
Old 10-10-2002, 07:58 AM

I work for Sallie Mae so some good advice would be to give it back so you want be owing so much later on. Or buy a car and oh on car payments and your nice fat student loan monthly pmt