General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

car INSURANCE claims??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 11:54 AM

car INSURANCE claims??

I parked my car in the garage at school and when I got home I saw that I have a nice size dent in my drives side door. I guess some idiot didn't know how to park correctly and hit my car.

My ? is, I have this damage as well as some other minor damage from another incident. Can I get my isurance to pay for this and other damage? I have a $250 deductable, so I figure its cheaper to go through my isurance instead of shelling out of pocket.

What do I need to make an isurance claim?? Do I need some type of police report or something?? How should I go about getting the ball moving??

Thanks
Old 10-10-2002, 11:56 AM
Administrator

get a police report.. and then call the insurance company.. they want that..

just a side note.. pm CKNY he works for gieco.. he can give you pointers
Old 10-10-2002, 12:09 PM

If they are 2 speperate incidents you will have to pay the deductable for each one. Atleast that is how State Farm works but make sure you get a police report filled out.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:07 PM

or just call the dent doctor and say you have a ding in your door and he will take it out for 60 bucks
Old 10-10-2002, 01:21 PM

Insurance should be used for large claims. If it's something that can be fixed inexpensively, don't file a claim. Even if it's a small $50 claim for, say windshield rock repair, some insurance companies count the number of total claims and may drop you after 2-3 or raise your rates.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by pimpedout97max
or just call the dent doctor and say you have a ding in your door and he will take it out for 60 bucks
Thanks for the help fellas.

BTW pimpedout97max...I called a couple of those dent doctor shops and all they deal with is small little door dings, not small gashes. How much do you think a body shop would charge to take out a small gash??

Thanks
Old 10-13-2002, 09:08 AM

it would depend on how big it was and all of that. what color is your car? it's hard to match the paint so they would probably have to paint the whole door, fender, hood etc. it probably would be a couple hundred dollars or more. take it to a body shop and get an estimate
Old 10-13-2002, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Green 2kSE
Insurance should be used for large claims. If it's something that can be fixed inexpensively, don't file a claim. Even if it's a small $50 claim for, say windshield rock repair, some insurance companies count the number of total claims and may drop you after 2-3 or raise your rates.
don't make a claim, like Green said, some insurance companies will see you make this claim and drop you from their policy. They don't want little claims like small dings etc, especially not from kids. And once you get dropped by one agency its hard to get picked up by another. Don't get greedy and do this, it could come back to bite you in the a$$. You might end up payin more each year if you can't find good insurance.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:36 PM

yeah that's probably the best idea, and trust me it's not fun getting dropped because it's hard as hell to get with another insurance company after getting dropped. I got dropped because of a speeding ticket though.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

if theres no paint damage i would call a paintless dent removal place in your area and see what they say about it before putting through an ins. claim.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:35 PM

Thanks for all the advice fellas. BTW my car is beige and is a 1990, so I'm sure the paint is faided. I think I will past on the insurance claim and just take it to get estimates at some local body shops. I remember getting an estimate for a shop for the damamge I had a long time ago and they wanted like $250-300 just to take it out, sand, prime, and paint. To me that was f*ckin' rediculous, so I never got it done and I just dealt with it. Now I have another decent size dent and it an eye sore just looking at it.

Thanks again...Kevin