General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

five speed conversation or vb mod? opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 12:57 AM

five speed conversation or vb mod? opinions wanted

ok, i have a '95 SE auto with 79.5K miles. i'm thinking about either doing the 5spd conversation like so many people have or doing the vb mod. here is what i'm thinking:

-1998 5-spd tranny with 28K miles for $650. all extra parts including clutch will be roughly $300 for total of $950.

-vb mode right around $350, plus shipping, with a $50 tranny cooler, all extra parts including solenoid should be about $550

of course labor would probably be a factor. i can do the vb since downtime is about a day. the five speed conversation will be more tricky and require more time. mtrai did it in segments i think, so i guess that would be an option.

what you all think?
Old 10-16-2002, 01:29 AM

If I had the money, I would do the 5speed because im just tired of automatic.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: five speed conversation or vb mod? opinions wanted

Originally posted by Romeo

what you all think?
I was where you are back in June. Since the vb mod is cheaper I decided to go that route. I paid for the vb mod and I'm still waiting for it to show up. Since then, I have acknowledged the fact that what I really wanted was to go 5-speed anyway, so I started collecting all the parts needed for that.

I'm in the middle of doing the conversion on my '95. Last weekend I installed the clutch pedal (whew!), master cylinder and some of the hydraulic lines. It looks like this coming weekend or maybe the next I'll be finishing up.

$950 for all parts is a pretty good deal, in my opinion. I spent quite a bit more than that because there were very few parts donor cars here in Austin that I could find, so I had to buy some stuff from the dealer, but also because I bought an ACT clutch and new driveaxles from raxles.com, and I also spent about $250 on rebuilding the transmission.

Labor is another issue, though. I have enough experience to do the work myself, and I have air tools, which makes the job a lot easier. So I'm not paying for labor, and as a bonus I get the satisfaction of accomplishing something most of my friends can't even comprehend doing. Of course, a lot of them ask Why? But if they ask why, they wouldn't understand the answer, either.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

5spd conversion hands down! Not even close IMO. The VB mod isn't that great anyway.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:30 AM

With the VB mod you will still be driving an automatic and wishing you had a manual.

Provided that you are skilled enough to do the conversion, or can pay someone to do it, go for the conversion.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:35 AM
Administrator

do pigs fly? ....
Old 10-16-2002, 08:39 AM

my signature should state my opinion..

incase you cant figure it out, 5speed!!! (unless you like being transported by an automatic, i'd rather drive my car)
Old 10-16-2002, 08:41 AM

Definately a 5spd conversion.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:33 AM

I think you should go vb, and uhmm... where is this tranny and parts located?
Old 10-16-2002, 12:28 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

5spd conversion, then you can bring the car over to Seattle and I can help ya throw it in...
Old 10-16-2002, 06:43 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

5spd advantages over an automatic:

1)Better gearing (very important)
2)60-100lbs. lighter tranny
3)Less drivetrain loss
4)Direct Connection to your engine

All of these factors contribute to almost a second difference in the 1/4th and 0-60. 5spds have soo much more muscle in first it's not even funny.

VB mods primary function is to improve/lengthen the life of your tranny by getting rid of the lag inbetween shifts. This faster/harder shift action SOMETIMES gets you faster times, although it has been for the most part very unsuccessful in that area. Automatics are extremely boring. 5spd becomes like second nature, but auto puts you to sleep.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:16 PM

i could the the CONVERSION (funny one SLAMMED 95 ) with the help of some friends. i have access to the tools and looking at the instructions, it shouldn't be too tough. i am just wondering if i can deal with the down time. and i don't know if i want to keep my car for an extended period of time.

mtrai, ya maybe i should drive over and camp out for like four days and all the seattle guys can help. plus i want to see ian's set up

sprintmax - pigs could fly if you hit one with the max doing about 90
Old 10-16-2002, 10:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

if you can manage the down time the 5speed is so much more worth it. I have driven a 5speed max vs. my auto, and it's night and day, it's like an entirely different car.. Yeah it sucks in traffic and all that bs, but you can actually drive the car.

I can't tell you how many times i try and shift the car with the gas pedal ... it's not the same.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by thebigsadler
if you can manage the down time the 5speed is so much more worth it. I have driven a 5speed max vs. my auto, and it's night and day, it's like an entirely different car.. Yeah it sucks in traffic and all that bs, but you can actually drive the car.

I can't tell you how many times i try and shift the car with the gas pedal ... it's not the same.
its ok that your car's an auto because it looks really really tite!
Old 10-17-2002, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by thebigsadler

Ahh and auto driver than apreciates a 5spd.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Canuck

Ahh and auto driver than apreciates a 5spd.
trust me i have nothing but respect for 5spd.. if this car wasn't a hand me down i would have made some better choices, but i cant complain for the sweet deal mom gave me

thanks for the compliment romeo.