General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

VQ35DE spins over 9000 rpm and lives

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 07:40 AM
VQ Wizard

VQ35DE spins over 9000 rpm and lives

Last Friday night I was running my car at Rockingham dragway, trying to improve my ETs. The track conditions were good but because of impending rain, no one showed up. There were only about 10 cars at the track that night. My first NA run with the RE92's was a 14.2x @ 98mph with a 2.3xx 60' . Someone (you know who you are) put my timeslips in his pocket and hasn't returned them to me so I can give the exact numbers at this point. All other runs after that one were disasters. Once the transmission heated up it wouldn't shift worth a darn. I failed to make a single 1/4 pass the rest of the night without missing 2nd, 3rd or sometimes both. My 3rd gear synchro has been bad since the 3000 mile mark and now the car has 12,500 miles. I put off getting the thing repaired because I would have to put the car back to stock before I took it in. I was deliberately waiting for the winter time to get this done.

On one of the last runs I was staged against a Ford F-150 Harley. I had my other tires on the car and had the nitrous armed. The lights dropped and immediately he left me at the line. I did an easy launch to avoid blowing off the tires too quickly. Got the car moving with the nitrous on and tached out first gear. This time for once I got a perfect 1-2 shift and through second gear I was already reeling that guy in. Now for the horror. Second gear tached all the way out and just before it hit the rev lmiter I shifted. But instead of going to 3rd somehow I ended up back in 1st. It took me a second to realize what I had just done. I had the lights turned off but I could see the tach pegged the 8000 RPM mark which is as high as it goes. I quickly pushed the clutch back in and put it in 3rd then got back in the gas. Then I realized totally what just happend so I backed off and coasted to the end. I thought for sure that I had scattered this motor, there is no freaking way that it could have survived that. But it did, there was nothing wrong with it.
I pulled back to my pit and tried to asess the situation, still in shock and I felt really sick, I wanted to throw up. But I decided that since the car appeared to be ok I would run one more time. Fourtunately I got to race that same truck again and a gain he left me off the line. This time I granny shifted (after missing second gear) to avoid making another mistake and by the 1000 foot mark I blew right by him then crossed the line in 13.3 @ 108 mph. He was running 13.7's at 100 the times I saw him run. This run his light messed up and said he ran a 13.7 @ 212mph lol. He pretty much freaked out at what I did to him on that run but I had enough.

I packed up and left but as soon as I pulled out onto US1 I noticed my tranny made a whining noise. This made me feel even worse because I knew that I had almost destroyed the entire drivetrain but it somehow managed to hold up.

The next day I removed the Nitrous from the car so I could take it to the dealer for repair. I waited untill I could talk to one of the techs to find out if Nissan has a max RPM recall in their ECU's like BMW has and have him erase the data for me if it was there. The guy told me he didn't think it did so I'll never really know how high this thing revved.

Just this morning I took the car in to get it looked at (after I finished putting the airbox back on, putting the cat back on and disconnecting my gauges). They'll probably replace the transmission which is what really needs to be done. It's nice to have a warranty.

As for the 9000 rpm, thats just my best guess. You can do you own calculations and come up with as high as 11000 (second gear to at least 6400 then back to first). But since I have no proof I wont try to claim that.

Those of you who are attending the Rockingham meet on Otc 25th wont get to see me run the car or at least not with the nitrous. The just isn't enough time for me to have everything doen before then.

Matthew
Old 10-17-2002, 07:42 AM
Administrator

got cliff notes?
Old 10-17-2002, 07:49 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

It's a good time for that first oil analysis.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
got cliff notes?
his tranny is in bad shape, hit 9000rpm at the track, beat a f150 truck then went home put the car back to stock & brought it into the dealer
Old 10-17-2002, 07:55 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by bill99gxe
You and your oil.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:58 AM

You and your promises:
Old 10-17-2002, 08:01 AM
VQ Wizard

True.

The oil change is overdue anwyays. I'll get the stool sample this weekend.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:03 AM
Boost.....

You should have bought the automagic.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:13 AM
Blu
the tits

timeslips are at home Just to let everyone know his car sounded insane you could hear it rev from a mile away when he did it. BTW the look on the guy driving the harley was priceless. His exact words I had him all the way down the track but in the last 100' be blew past me. Those damn maximas are fast but i didn't know they were that fast Matts tranny was in SC mode the whole way home
Old 10-17-2002, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by SR20DEN
True.

The oil change is overdue anwyays. I'll get the stool sample this weekend.
And really you need both a motor oil and tranny analysis......but the chunks of metal coming out of either one would be a clue if something really bad did in fact happen.....
Old 10-17-2002, 08:16 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

You and your promises:
It's not broken until I die.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:18 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

You and your oil.

Old 10-17-2002, 08:19 AM

I admire you

Last Friday night I was running my car at Rockingham dragway, trying to improve my ETs. The track conditions were good but because of impending rain, no one showed up. There were only about 10 cars at the track that night. My first NA run with the RE92's was a 14.2x @ 98mph with a 2.3xx 60' . Someone (you know who you are) put my timeslips in his pocket and hasn't returned them to me so I can give the exact numbers at this point. All other runs after that one were disasters. Once the transmission heated up it wouldn't shift worth a darn. I failed to make a single 1/4 pass the rest of the night without missing 2nd, 3rd or sometimes both. My 3rd gear synchro has been bad since the 3000 mile mark and now the car has 12,500 miles. I put off getting the thing repaired because I would have to put the car back to stock before I took it in. I was deliberately waiting for the winter time to get this done.

On one of the last runs I was staged against a Ford F-150 Harley. I had my other tires on the car and had the nitrous armed. The lights dropped and immediately he left me at the line. I did an easy launch to avoid blowing off the tires too quickly. Got the car moving with the nitrous on and tached out first gear. This time for once I got a perfect 1-2 shift and through second gear I was already reeling that guy in. Now for the horror. Second gear tached all the way out and just before it hit the rev lmiter I shifted. But instead of going to 3rd somehow I ended up back in 1st. It took me a second to realize what I had just done. I had the lights turned off but I could see the tach pegged the 8000 RPM mark which is as high as it goes. I quickly pushed the clutch back in and put it in 3rd then got back in the gas. Then I realized totally what just happend so I backed off and coasted to the end. I thought for sure that I had scattered this motor, there is no freaking way that it could have survived that. But it did, there was nothing wrong with it.
I pulled back to my pit and tried to asess the situation, still in shock and I felt really sick, I wanted to throw up. But I decided that since the car appeared to be ok I would run one more time. Fourtunately I got to race that same truck again and a gain he left me off the line. This time I granny shifted (after missing second gear) to avoid making another mistake and by the 1000 foot mark I blew right by him then crossed the line in 13.3 @ 108 mph. He was running 13.7's at 100 the times I saw him run. This run his light messed up and said he ran a 13.7 @ 212mph lol. He pretty much freaked out at what I did to him on that run but I had enough.

I packed up and left but as soon as I pulled out onto US1 I noticed my tranny made a whining noise. This made me feel even worse because I knew that I had almost destroyed the entire drivetrain but it somehow managed to hold up.

The next day I removed the Nitrous from the car so I could take it to the dealer for repair. I waited untill I could talk to one of the techs to find out if Nissan has a max RPM recall in their ECU's like BMW has and have him erase the data for me if it was there. The guy told me he didn't think it did so I'll never really know how high this thing revved.

Just this morning I took the car in to get it looked at (after I finished putting the airbox back on, putting the cat back on and disconnecting my gauges). They'll probably replace the transmission which is what really needs to be done. It's nice to have a warranty.

As for the 9000 rpm, thats just my best guess. You can do you own calculations and come up with as high as 11000 (second gear to at least 6400 then back to first). But since I have no proof I wont try to claim that.

Those of you who are attending the Rockingham meet on Otc 25th wont get to see me run the car or at least not with the nitrous. The just isn't enough time for me to have everything doen before then.

Matthew

Not because of your car. But the fact that you know how to go in and remove all that stuff and then put it back on. I wish I had talent like that. I want to put a cold air intake in my car and I am scared to death to do that. Be thankful you have that skill!!!
Old 10-17-2002, 08:20 AM
Blu
the tits

It's not broken until I die.
G manevil bill
Old 10-17-2002, 08:26 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by blubyu2k2

G manevil bill
Old 10-17-2002, 08:33 AM
Blu
the tits

Old 10-17-2002, 08:49 AM

I did the same thing to my car racing my roomate on the highway (using about a 70 shot but my bottle wasnt heated) except i had a rev speed meter and it read 8950 rpm I almost shat myself when it happened and luckily i didnt blow anything.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:46 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

In addition to an oil analysis, you might want to do a compression check as well. Although the motor "seems" fine, the compression check will give you the real story.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dayum Matt!!!

Glad the dealer is hooking you up with a new trans.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:50 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by SteVTEC
In addition to an oil analysis, you might want to do a compression check as well. Although the motor "seems" fine, the compression check will give you the real story.

That is on my 'to do' list. As welll as replacing the plugs because i think one of them is damaged from Nitrous.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Old 10-17-2002, 10:27 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally posted by gLok
I did the same thing to my car racing my roomate on the highway (using about a 70 shot but my bottle wasnt heated) except i had a rev speed meter and it read 8950 rpm I almost shat myself when it happened and luckily i didnt blow anything.
glok, you still got a Camry? Didnt yo run 14.7's stock engine /cf hood?
Old 10-17-2002, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by NmexMAX

glok, you still got a Camry? Didnt yo run 14.7's stock engine /cf hood?
14.9 @ 90 mph

the camry is supercharged now.. and he has a new engine
Old 10-17-2002, 12:29 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
Dayum Matt!!!

Glad the dealer is hooking you up with a new trans.
Actually not so fast. They have called me twice today asking me questions and implied that if they find something I did wrong they wouldn't cover it. I knew Nissan had a reputaion for making crappie transmissions so I never messed with mine. They also wanted to know if I ever changed the gear oil because it's supposed to take some 'special' oil. If they decide to be bastards on this deal I will have them call Nissan Security Plus and imform them why I will be making no more payments on the extended warranty. I get a bad feeling everytime I have to use Nissan service.
I bet Nissan is tired to replacing these POS 6 speeds.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:11 PM

You and your oil.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:43 PM

new tranny + good compression numbers = back to modding.

this is hokiemax, btw.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:33 PM

Actually not so fast. They have called me twice today asking me questions and implied that if they find something I did wrong they wouldn't cover it. I knew Nissan had a reputaion for making crappie transmissions so I never messed with mine. They also wanted to know if I ever changed the gear oil because it's supposed to take some 'special' oil. If they decide to be bastards on this deal I will have them call Nissan Security Plus and imform them why I will be making no more payments on the extended warranty. I get a bad feeling everytime I have to use Nissan service.
I bet Nissan is tired to replacing these POS 6 speeds.
Yikes, it sounds like they already don't wanna cover it, meaning they'll be poking around for a way out. If they decide to deny, they'll probably dot their i's and cross their t's, so Nissan Security ain't gonna help. You shouldn't stop paying because that'll show up on TRW, Equifax.

For you to be in the driver's seat they need to fix that POS 6-spd. Once it'd done, if they say pay up chief, you say warranty boss. If they say no, you don't pick up your car. The longer the car sits there the worse off they are, getting nothing for their parts/labor. They'd rather get warranty comp then nada. That's the hardball way, but it's unfortunate having to do it.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:57 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

sprayin70 with his altima 3.5 had the same expirences.

2k2 altima v-6 + 90 shot wet + a few missed shifts = a tranny that sounds like a WRC wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

his alty also blew its maf sensor and he took it backto the dealer to the tune of 700.00.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:42 PM

no offence dude, but how can you suck at shifting that much? Every run but like 2 you missed multiple gears? WTF?
Old 10-17-2002, 09:59 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
no offence dude, but how can you suck at shifting that much? Every run but like 2 you missed multiple gears? WTF?
No offense taken.

I knew someone would eventually make this comment.

The answer is that I don't suck at shifting. I just shift very fast and in this case too fast for conditions. Have you ever ridden ina car with someone that shifts gears so fast you'd think they were driving an automatic? It's one thing when you just can shift but it's another thing when you push the clutch to the floor and the thing simply won't go into the next gear without force (read slowly).
My tranny just got hot and simply failed to accept my abuse for the rest of the night. Granted the 1-2-1 shift was my fault because i got frustraded and tried too hard.
And I didn't miss multiple gears in that many runs. Only one. Second gear was actually the one that gave me the most problems. Once I get a fresh set of synhronizers I'll be all set to start over.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:06 PM

damn why ruin a perfectly good car on racing like that? in a couple of years your motor and yourself is going to go through some nice regretting
Old 10-18-2002, 05:20 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by iregula
damn why ruin a perfectly good car on racing like that? in a couple of years your motor and yourself is going to go through some nice regretting

I don't regret. I move forward and don't look back. Besides this is nothing, I baby this car compared to some earlier ones I had.
Old 10-18-2002, 05:32 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

You shouldn't stop paying because that'll show up on TRW, Equifax.
Just think about that for a minute. Why on Earth would I do something to damage my credit? Well I wouldn't. This warranty can be canceled at any time and pro-rated for the difference.

For you to be in the driver's seat they need to fix that POS 6-spd. Once it'd done, if they say pay up chief, you say warranty boss. If they say no, you don't pick up your car. The longer the car sits there the worse off they are, getting nothing for their parts/labor. They'd rather get warranty comp then nada. That's the hardball way, but it's unfortunate having to do it.
I still am unsure if it will come to that but I know how to handle the situation. I have many more cards to play that the service writer doesn't know about. Im going to just be cool about it and see how it goes. It's unfair for me to give him a bum rap before I see what he does so for now I'll keep my mouth shut.
Old 10-18-2002, 05:51 AM
Administrator

he is a slick bastard.. he knows what he is doing..

oh and FYI: anyone who can launch a car and go through gears and get a 12 second run OBVIOUSLY knows how to shift
Old 10-18-2002, 06:40 AM

Re: VQ35DE spins over 9000 rpm and lives

Let me see if I understand the situation here. You take a car to the race track, knowing that voids the warranty, and end up damaging the engine and transmission. Now you want the dealer to replace the "POS" tranny and engine that you ruined while racing. Is this what is going on here or do I misunderstand you?
Old 10-18-2002, 06:43 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: Re: VQ35DE spins over 9000 rpm and lives

Originally posted by Stephen Max
Let me see if I understand the situation here. You take a car to the race track, knowing that voids the warranty, and end up damaging the engine and transmission. Now you want the dealer to replace the "POS" tranny and engine that you ruined while racing. Is this what is going on here or do I misunderstand you?
Old 10-18-2002, 06:44 AM
VQ Wizard

Re: Re: VQ35DE spins over 9000 rpm and lives

Is this what is going on here or do I misunderstand you?

You misunderstood.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: VQ35DE spins over 9000 rpm and lives

You misunderstood.
Oh, okay. Please accept my profuse apologies.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:56 AM
VQ Wizard

Re: Re: Re: Re: VQ35DE spins over 9000 rpm and lives

Oh, okay. Please accept my profuse apologies.
I don't mean to sound like an *** but there is more going on that what you read. Plus some difference of opinion between you and I apparently.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VQ35DE spins over 9000 rpm and lives

I don't mean to sound like an *** but there is more going on that what you read. Plus some difference of opinion between you and I apparently.
No, I don't think you sound like an ***. It's just that I knew guys back in high school that would buy a new car, race the hell out of it, and then take it back to the dealer complaining the POS wasn't running right and demand warranty work. I'm embarrassed and sorry I misunderstood you and lumped you in that category.

Quick Reply: VQ35DE spins over 9000 rpm and lives