General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What do you guys think about where import tuning is going?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 01:27 PM
Handsome

What do you guys think about where import tuning is going?

It seems as with everything import tuning has changed over the years, my question is what do you think about this change. I am 25 now and have been into modifying and street racing since 95 (not for money or anything just the thrill of racing, and seeing a lot of really nice cars that are all different.) Import tuning really struck me because the cars were relativly cheap and could be made very fast, compared to the spoiled rich kid with his mustange and flow masters. The over all style of the cars also caught my attention, blow off valves turbos, huge front mount intercoolers, were more appealing then loud, rumbling, seemingly unsophisticated cars.
In 95 the street racing scene was very different than what I see now. When I went to the races in 95 the import cars that I saw were turbo eclipses and MR2's with blow off valves a blazin, and the majority of these cars were clean and modest with most just having wheels and decals of the performance parts they had running down the side of their doors. But most cars that came were fast or those who wanted to just watch stayed out of the way.
Now I see cars with Neon window washer nozzles?, single windshield wipers?, 5 foot aluminum spoilers?, Altezzas?, and strobe headlights? driving around at the local races like their car is hot $h^T. This is even being mass marketed to potential import tuners, I don't know about you but this is why I hate being associated with import tuning now. Import Tuners on speed channel is five minutes of tasteless cars, and 25 minutes of advertising for midas, quakerstate, and especially APC. Then there's the Pep boys commercial with that guy standing next to the APC RSX. He's bragging to his friends about his extensive 'sick' mods. His list reads, APC euro tail lights, APC carbon fiber mirrors, aluminum wing, full body kit, APC carbon fiber hood, 17 inch wheels, and a sony explode stereo. There was no mention of real modifications (a car was designed for transportation, modifying it would improve these aspects) is this where import tuning is going?

The greatest of japans cars have been cancelled to our shores (Supra, RX-7, 300zTT, Eclipse GSX, MR-3, 3000GT VR-4) and even Acura has no intentions of bringing a Type R here, they will offer an upgrade package that costs 4,500 plus install, of an RSX with a bodykit, bigger wheels, large spoiler, and brake upgrade. They do this because rarely does anyone want an expensive fast car that looks like other cars (Type R looks like the RSX) these days, kids just want to put a bunch of neon on it along with a muffler. Dealerships can sell the same car to someone wanting an economy car, as one who wants to be in the import scene, there is no reason for them to bring somthing different like a Type R; they couldn't sell that to the economy person, and the kid would think it to expensive compared to what he could do cosmetically to a regular RSX.

This trend I hope will be interupted by the introduction of the Lancer, showing manufactures that there really is a market for the faster cars japan has to offer. But I just can't stand when I see an import with altezzas, window washer nozzles, a single winsdshiled wiper and five foot aluminum spoilers (these things are expensive and in no way improve the purpose of a car, transportation). I don't want to be associated with these things as an import tuner (or Fast and the Ridiculous.) Every shop tech or garage mechanic has agreed with me about the devistation swaying the market towards useless pretentious neon and other non functional cosmetics is. We have lossed the great cars that we had from japan, and they are not willing to try and sell them to us at least for the time being. It will also make aftermarket parts for the true tuner more expensive because their is more money in selling APC products to the main stream (if more people bought performance parts they would be cheaper, I would rather have a cheaper turbo than cheaper window washer nozzles). Last it has really hurt the credibility of import tuning because some see it as almost a joke now with all the ridiculous imports driving around.

I am glad that my maxima for the most part seperates me from this crowd of the usual honda rice boy (ricer used to just mean that you raced a rice burner (japanese import), now it is a negative thing to be called a ricer)

I know this is just how life is, but what do other Maxima drivers think of this trend?

PS. Sorry about such a long message, cars have been such a big part of my life, and now I see that they are ruining the cars that first got me interested in tuning.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm glad I have my max and that they arent trendy....yet
Old 10-20-2002, 01:37 PM

I agree there are so many stupid products out there now
I was reading a TURBO magazine the other day and there was an advertisement for a machine that is basically a speaker that makes the psssttt noise at a certain RPM as if you have a turbo but all it is a speaker, there are so many dumb things out there now a days they make altezza for every kind of car even mini vans. These kind of things killed the import scene all cars that look like they go fast
Old 10-20-2002, 01:39 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: What do you guys think about where import tuning is going?

Originally posted by Street Reeper
I know this is just how life is, but what do other Maxima drivers think of this trend?
you should ask some of the "ricer"(I hate to use the word) Maxima drivers on here ...don't single out "rice" as just a Honda thing, thats getting so tired! but anyways now a days the word "rice" is used so loosely there is no real descripiton.

but heres a question you, see a 500hp Eclipse with altezzas, nozzle lights and a 70ft. wing...but then again the guy has built up the motor, running crazy boost and has done most of the motor work himself and is fully knowledgable about his car, what is he considered?? "Ricer" or not??
Old 10-20-2002, 02:25 PM
Handsome

Re: Re: What do you guys think about where import tuning is going?

Originally posted by DA-MAX

you should ask some of the "ricer"(I hate to use the word) Maxima drivers on here ...don't single out "rice" as just a Honda thing, thats getting so tired! but anyways now a days the word "rice" is used so loosely there is no real descripiton.

but heres a question you, see a 500hp Eclipse with altezzas, nozzle lights and a 70ft. wing...but then again the guy has built up the motor, running crazy boost and has done most of the motor work himself and is fully knowledgable about his car, what is he considered?? "Ricer" or not??
I see where your going, and as for honda you can not deny that the civic is the king of no go fast parts and all pretentious cosmetics. Some are fast, but there is no other car that has been over glorified like this, not the cars fault, just the trend of some.
As for the eclipse, thats a tough one, because I have honestly never seen a true tuner put that stuff on his car. The farthest I have scene someone go who really knows their stuff is altezzas, and that was when they first came out. I think that true tuners just don't have an interest in these things. If he had 500hp chances are that he's trying to make his car faster, and would not sacrifice speed for big dumb spoilers.
But aftermarket parts like bodykits were meant to display to others that you are modified and have speed. A supra is a great example, the fast ones like the TRD have a subtle bodykit that lets others know it's fast, same with the Saleen Mustange. Some people today figure they'll skip the motor work, throw the bodykit on, so they can try and get the same recognition. This is what is most frustrating. When I see a car with a super aggresive body kit, huge spoiler, and graphics all over it, and it turns out to be an eclipse RS with intake and exhaust.
If this guy really did exist with the 500hp power eclipse, he could get away with some of those mods because he has awesome power. But yes I would still call him a ricer (one who has no taste) because he has ruined a very fast car by making it look like the eclipse RS stated in the previous paragraph. As I said in a previous post, if you are unsure of what tastefull is just look at high end cars like BMW, Ferrari, Lambo, and Porsche. These cars do not have window washer lights or ironing board spoilers, everything fits the car as it should. Some examples of tastefull mods would be larger wheels (found on any exotic) subtle body kits (BMW, Mercedes, etc have these) lowered suspension (every exotic) clear corners (most german auto's) and I have even seen carbon fiber door pillars on some mercedes (which look much better than the fading plastic) All of these things are tastefull and found on high end cars, more importantly they look good without being tackey.
I think that some people who adhere to the neon and altezza market are just trying to get attention. Someone on another sight with an RS eclipse with bright orange paint & graphics, huge white aluminum spoiler, white wheels, neon underbody kit, and a big bass system was getting ragged on by true auto enthusiasts, their reply was 'it's all about getting looks, right?' Wrong, boy are they lost.

It doesn't matter how fast the car is, I would make fun of the owner of a McLaren if he put curb feelers and chrome fender skirts on his car.
Old 10-20-2002, 03:45 PM

I have very much the same feelings as Street Reeper. I usually refer to a "ricer" as someone who has more stickers and cosmetic stuff on their car than they have performance parts. You're car should be able to back up all your stickers and the necessity for a 3' tall wing. This is a very touchy subject with most people. I don't want to criticize people for expressing themselves, but I think a line has to be drawn somewhere. Are you show or go? It is possible to do both, but I see way to many people that are show and they're trying to be go. More often than not (at least at the track I go to) the ones who you don't expect to see much out of are the ones putting down the best times. I like it when people let their timeslips do the talking.
Old 10-20-2002, 03:54 PM

my cousins eclipse is at broadwayperformance.com is a beautiful car his is the 2nd gen shop car the white one

his eclipse does 11.9, with 361 horsepower right now he's making the 2.0 to a 2.4

not one spec of rice on it,
all it has for the exterrior is
-a carbon fiber hood but painted it white to match the rest of the car and got it for cooling then engine and wieght reduction purposes
-Rx-7 only because they are super light
- and the muffler because he has a full exhaust

that is a perfect example of a well respected powerful car

check it out click the link below!
Old 10-20-2002, 04:03 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: What do you guys think about where import tuning is going?

but who is to say that so called "import culture" is all about going fast and having to prove it??? what about those who only want to look good(tasefully of course)...just cause some guy with a body kit and nice rims speeds by you on the highway doesn't mean he's trying to "get F&F" on you....I mean look at the carshows, majority of the cars there will probably be basicaly stock except for an intake and exhaust(if not already FI)...they're probably 20 second cars, but still a part of the import culture right??

Originally posted by BSwithTF
Are you show or go? It is possible to do both, but I see way to many people that are show and they're trying to be go.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What do you guys think about where import tuning is going?

but who is to say that so called "import culture" is all about going fast and having to prove it??? what about those who only want to look good(tasefully of course)...just cause some guy with a body kit and nice rims speeds by you on the highway doesn't mean he's trying to "get F&F" on you....I mean look at the carshows, majority of the cars there will probably be basicaly stock except for an intake and exhaust(if not already FI)...they're probably 20 second cars, but still a part of the import culture right??

True. There is no right or wrong in this debate and the line between tasteful and not tasteful is VERY cloudy. It basically comes down to personnal preference. I just get really tired of sitting in the stands at the strip and seeing imports run 17-18 sec quarters all night long and have listen to all the domestic boys dog on "those damn imports". One of my friend ran a 12.995 (75-shot) the other night in his Civic hatch and he really turned some heads. Another buddy of mine has a turboed SOHC CRX in the mid thirteens. Both very nice looking cars. Dropped with nice wheels but basically sleepers. These are the cars I like to see, but like I said, personnal preference.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:24 PM
Handsome

Re: Re: Re: Re: What do you guys think about where import tuning is going?

Modifying a car should mean improving the general aspects of it's original design. It was designed for transportation, so improving handling, braking, and acceleration would fall under modifications. Why would anyone spend a ton of money on parts for a car that serve no purpose. Window washer lights, and altezza's improve no part of transportation, it is like dressing up a dog and taking it to a dog show, rather than teaching it to hunt or fetch, it is just dumb.

If you modify the engine/suspension of a car you have just changed the car, it is now unique for the most part. However, just putting a bodykit on a car will not change the car, it will still provide the same quality of transportation that everyone elses car of the same make and model do. Change the original purpose of the car, then change the look to signify that difference. This is exactly what Saleen & Rousch does, M BMW's, AMG mercedes, and Porsche (RUF), because after they modify the aspects of transportation, they modify the outside. This lets others know that this is no ordinary car, thats how tuning used to be (performance, then cosmetics to signify this,) now people want to cut corners, and its a total disrespect to import tuners/enthusiasts who know what the term modification means, as I do.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:33 PM

Anything that gets main-streamed (thanks to F&F and MTV) is going to be overkill and the majority of people today latch on to the import tuning scene with limited cash. Being in college now, with 4/8 of my best friends driving modded civics, I can understand where they are coming from. We are poor. Student loans and small allowences or low paying jobs keep us on the edge of being broke. Everyone sees those beautiful new fast cars, some that are proving that Americans will buy fast Japanese cars like the WRX, RSX-s and 350z, and they want to get in on the action. The problem is, making the car GO gets expensive. We end up with cars like civics because we need a car that won't break and will last forever. Sadly, the bolt-ons that are in range of our budgets yield limited results because the Japanese engines are so well tuned already (unlike most American V8s). This leaves us with cheap 'APC' parts from e-bay and the rice rack at AutoZone. If you stick LEDs and Neons all over (which are relativly cheap compared to performance parts) at least you SEE results and your ride is different from everyone elses.
I wish I had the cash for the turbo kit, MEVI, y-pipe, cams etc. but I don't even get a paycheck. At least I don't put stupid cheap parts on, but I can afford clear corners and a 3" cone filter from AutoZone, so that's what I do.

I definitly look at my Maxima with pride though and my 4-cyl friends love my car.

Also, I think most of the cars you mentioned that are no longer in the states (Rx-7, Supra, 300Z-TT etc.), were not dropped for lack of interest, but because it became too expensive to maintain emissions. The Z used to be cheap, but the mid-90s 300z's got way too expensive even if they were nice. The WRX and 350z should pave the way for cars in the future like the EvoVII and, dare I say, a version of the skyline? Just wait until the high school and college 'rice-boys' start working full time and can afford the best imports.

-Smitty
Old 10-20-2002, 04:43 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What do you guys think about where import tuning is going?

Why would anyone spend a ton of money on parts for a car that serve no purpose.
you don't hang around here much do you....

but yeah I get your point and trust me I agree with you 100%, I'm the technical, "anit-F&F" guy myself...but I just question sometimes what determines if something is "rice" or not(as far as show cars go)....there really isn't any way to determine that since import shows for the past years have focused alot around these types of cars(even back in '95) as well as those with some "go"! my thing is simply this, its your car, do what you want with it.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:13 PM

by the way its a ECLIPSE GSX!

Originally posted by Nore474
my cousins eclipse is at broadwayperformance.com is a beautiful car his is the 2nd gen shop car the white one

his eclipse does 11.9, with 361 horsepower right now he's making the 2.0 to a 2.4

not one spec of rice on it,
all it has for the exterrior is
-a carbon fiber hood but painted it white to match the rest of the car and got it for cooling then engine and wieght reduction purposes
-Rx-7 only because they are super light
- and the muffler because he has a full exhaust

that is a perfect example of a well respected powerful car

check it out click the link below!
Old 10-20-2002, 08:40 PM

Note, those cars weren't just dropped from US shores, but from all markets.

I believe import "tuning" has gone the way that everything has once it becomes commercialised. But if you think about the masses, what are they interested in? Attention. You ask why people put 5 foot wings on thier car, well why do they spend $100 on a t-shirt? Or $200 on shoes? They want attention, and they want to impress. You drop $5000 into your engine, 99% of people you pass on the street don't notice, unless go WOT from every light. But if you put $5000 into your body kit/spoiler/TONS of lights on yer car, then EVERYONE sees your car (little do they know, we don't stare because we are impressed, we stare in amazement). It's all a big popularity contest, just like high school. Most of em are in HS, the rest just never grew up.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:52 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I think there is starting to be a swing from the huge tailpipes, wings, "Ninja" body kits, wild graphics, huge rims, etc. The scene is starting to go back to a cleaner more sleeper look. Many of the cars now appearing in SCC are very subtle. You can even sense SCC's opinion on the current "riceboy" modifications....they don't like it. You'll read things in SCC like "Joe Blow's MR2 turbo is strictly business, he's running small 15" Volk TE37s, no wing, no body kit, no fancy stereo, etc because he knows the only way to go fast is not have a bunch of useless junk slowing you down".

I've got a TON of respect for tastefully done imports and many domestic guys do to. My Maxima is very subtle in appearance (H&R drop, 16" K1s, meaty 225/50s, 3" exhaust tip on stock muffler, Stillen front spoiler, shaved tailend) and I get a lot of respect at the track from the domestic guys. I'm not the flashiest import out there and usually not the quickest, but I get F-Body and Stang guys coming up saying how they like my clean looking 14-second sedan. They had no idea it was so quick for an NA V6 sedan. They laugh at the riced out cars, even if they are decently quick.

Dave
Old 10-20-2002, 11:10 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Interesting

IMO this is a good, well opinionated thread, everyone has a good point of view but deep inside I have to agree with the original post. And to answer DaMax question, if you come across a tuner with serious power/boost but all the untastefull addition would you call it rice? I would. Like yourself I don't like to use the term rice, owned, and what ever else is out there. To me these words are just stupid and don't make any sense but they're often used. I'm not a big fan of those Ninja type body kits regardless of which car it's on. IMO any cosmetic mods should compliment the body lines contours and these kits do not. I'm not even going to dicuss the neons, one wipers, extra wide upper windshield banners/stickers/visors (some even put them on the top and bottom) that **** gotta be illegal but you know what, "It's their car, not mine" First impression tells it all
Old 11-16-2002, 02:07 PM
Handsome

The problem is, making the car GO gets expensive. We end up with cars like civics because we need a car that won't break and will last forever. Sadly, the bolt-ons that are in range of our budgets yield limited results because the Japanese engines are so well tuned already (unlike most American V8s). This leaves us with cheap 'APC' parts from e-bay and the rice rack at AutoZone. If you stick LEDs and Neons all over (which are relativly cheap compared to performance parts) at least you SEE results and your ride is different from everyone elses.
Thats like saying I don't have the time to workout, or the money to buy a gym membership, so I am going to stuff my shirt with balloons I bought for cheap. That would look retarded just like neon window washers.
The other day I was driving and noticed a white prelude with a body kit, altezzas, muffler, Z3 fenders, and a big huge spoiler, I waisted him bad. I wanted to jump out of my car and tell him that all the money he waisted on his special ed prelude improved nothing about the design aspects of his car, and why when he was driving around in a total poser car would he try and race. That is very different than the civic beater that I raced last weekend. It was a grey civic hatch with nothing more than a muffler for cosmetics. He had done a fully built LS SOHC motor build up and was running 11:1 compression. He walked me, and I followed him so I could tell him what a nice car he had.

If you have all cosmetics and no parts that improve handling, acceleration, or braking (what a car was made to do) then you are no different than someone who would stuff their shirt full of balloons so people would think that they were big.

Neon tailpipes, valve stems, and window washer nozzles are SOFA KING WE TALL DID. Don't change your car just for the sake of change, it really, really, looks dumb.
Old 11-16-2002, 02:42 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

If you have all cosmetics and no parts that improve handling, acceleration, or braking (what a car was made to do) then you are no different than someone who would stuff their shirt full of balloons so people would think that they were big.
thats so closed minded...not everyone wants to have a auto-x, super drag car...some just wnat looks plain and simple. and if big wings and **** are what they consider looks than so be it...who put you up as the judge of what performance mods "need" to be done to a car just because they have appearance mods?? the argument of you have to have "go" to back your "show" is so tired.
Old 11-16-2002, 02:59 PM
Handsome

thats so closed minded...not everyone wants to have a auto-x, super drag car...some just wnat looks plain and simple. and if big wings and **** are what they consider looks than so be it...who put you up as the judge of what performance mods "need" to be done to a car just because they have appearance mods?? the argument of you have to have "go" to back your "show" is so tired.
Would Ferrari be a popular car if it had an escort motor in it? It might look cool but it would still be laughed at because some dumb@ss spent a ton of money on a car that might look like it's fast, but in realliy is slow.
If you want to put some dumb crap on a car that serves no purpose of thats cars original design (transportation), it is the same thing as dressing your dog up and taking it to a dog show, rather than teaching it to fetch or hunt.
If someone had Nismo stickers on a max that would be retarded because Nismo doesn't make parts for the max.
If someone put Saleen stickers on V6 mustange that would be pointless.

People change their car to signify it as different. But a car was made for transportation, changing it would mean changing these aspects. If you don't change these aspects then the car offers the same level of transportation that other cars of the same make and model do, so it is not different. Saleen, M-BMW, AMG, RUF, every one knows this, can you not see how pointless it is to make your car look different without it actually being different, and furthermore spending a lot of money to do this?>

If like you said that everyone doesn't want on autocross car, why all the five foot aluminum wings, because they are trying to get the same recognition that someone else gets who actually modifies their car. Thats dumb and disrepectfull to people who work hard to tune their cars.
Old 11-16-2002, 03:04 PM

i feel that if someone honestly wants to tastefully upgrade the looks of their car and doesnt care how fast it is then they should o right ahead without being stereotyped. and maybe some people feel their car is fast enough for them already so they dont want/need to do anything performance wise so they upgrade cosmetically. so just because someone put a bodykit and wing on their car with no performance mods doesnt mean they are a "ricer" it just means they dont care about going fast. is that such a crime to not want to hav a car to giv people a beatdown on the boulevarde or on the strip?
Old 11-16-2002, 03:14 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

If someone had Nismo stickers on a max that would be retarded because Nismo doesn't make parts for the max.
If like you said that everyone doesn't want on autocross car, why all the five foot aluminum wings, because they are trying to get the same recognition that someone else gets who actually modifies their car. Thats dumb and disrepectfull to people who work hard to tune their cars.
wrong...Nismo has had a few parts for the VG Maxima for the who knows how long. so you can scratch that statement.

just realize that this import scene is going different ways, "show", "go" or both...if you feel disrespected every time you see a ricer drive by then you better find a psychiatrist cause you're gonna have a nervous breakdown soon...since the the way the import scene is going the "all show" guys are gonna be around for a looooong time! you just gotta deal with it and laugh like hell after you burn their slow pieces of **** by 5 cars!
Old 11-16-2002, 05:50 PM

Wait for about 5 years. When 4th gen maxes become "junker" cars like the older crap we see modified today, they will be riding with the rice crap on em. I will hate that day.
Old 11-16-2002, 07:05 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by gepetto
Wait for about 5 years
5 years!?!? ...I already see them.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:44 AM
Handsome

If someone has a bodykit and huge wing do people ask them what kind of body kit or wing they have, or do they ask them what they have performance wise.
I saw a mustange yesterday with a similar body kit as the eclipse on the fast and the furious. The mustange was a V6, is someone going to think it's cool now because it has a body kit. Would it be as nice as a Saleen because a Saleen has a bodykit?
'Show' people are trying show their car as fast when it isn't. I saw someone driving a civic the other day with a bodykit, huge spoiler, dual exhaust, and a monster tac. The car was stock, and the tac wasn't even hooked up, the light for it was, but the RPM's didn't move. This is just retarded. If show people were just trying to be show then they wouldn't have a big tachometer in their car, there wouldn't be fake intercoolers that you could buy, and there wouldn't be little speakers that you could put in your engine bay that sound like blow off valves. These people are trying to make their car look fast without putting work into it. Why use parts that serve no purpose (fake intercoolers, fake blow off valves, huge wings, tachometers) other then to pretend that your car is fast. It's dumb and it doesn't make your car any better, it just makes you look like a big poser.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:05 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

To me,
a ricer does not have to have a slow car that looks fast... A ricer can have a fast car and still be a ricer.. Ricers are just people with horribly poor taste in modifications as far as looks go.

I regularly see a Z06 Vette on my way to school wth Nozzle lights and valve stem lights.. Is that car fast? yeah... is he a ricer? i'd say so..

Typically though, people with fast cars don't do this kind of stuff to them..
Old 11-18-2002, 09:23 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

If someone has a bodykit and huge wing do people ask them what kind of body kit or wing they have, or do they ask them what they have performance wise.
I saw a mustange yesterday with a similar body kit as the eclipse on the fast and the furious. The mustange was a V6, is someone going to think it's cool now because it has a body kit. Would it be as nice as a Saleen because a Saleen has a bodykit?
Man, you're putting way too much thought into this...
Old 11-18-2002, 09:49 AM
living out of a maxima...

I've got a kit and all I've got is an intake. am I a ricer?

I didn't get the kit to tell anyone anything... I got it because I think my car looks better with it on.

I think the idea that someone must make their car XX% faster before changing how its looks is just stupid. You might want to spend your money on go-fast mods, but what about if I already have 12 points on my license? Should my car look stock like the other 1,000,000 Maximas on the road just because I can't afford to drive fast?

I won't disagree that there are a lot of stupid looking cars out there, some of which are also slow. But the idea that a car must make engine modifications before making cosmetic modifications or it is a ricer... that's just absurd.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

THANK YOU!!!!

Originally posted by JeffesonM
I've got a kit and all I've got is an intake. am I a ricer?

I didn't get the kit to tell anyone anything... I got it because I think my car looks better with it on.

I think the idea that someone must make their car XX% faster before changing how its looks is just stupid. You might want to spend your money on go-fast mods, but what about if I already have 12 points on my license? Should my car look stock like the other 1,000,000 Maximas on the road just because I can't afford to drive fast?

I won't disagree that there are a lot of stupid looking cars out there, some of which are also slow. But the idea that a car must make engine modifications before making cosmetic modifications or it is a ricer... that's just absurd.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:04 PM
Handsome

But the idea that a car must make engine modifications before making cosmetic modifications or it is a ricer... that's just absurd.
People who dress up their cars to make them fast, without actually making them fast, remind me of fat girls who dress like Britney Spears. It bothers me, and it doesn't make since. Do the work, and then show it off.

But I guess it would be absurd to ask that fat girl to work out before she wore somthing like that
Old 11-18-2002, 12:41 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

so here is the big question...4th gen with a body kit and nothing else ......its rice right??? God forbid someone dare make their car look nice and still run 15s and stay stock.....damn insult to the import world, dude get real

People who dress up their cars to make them fast, without actually making them fast, remind me of fat girls who dress like Britney Spears. It bothers me, and it doesn't make since. Do the work, and then show it off.

But I guess it would be absurd to ask that fat girl to work out before she wore somthing like that
Old 11-18-2002, 01:18 PM
living out of a maxima...

once again you are operating under several assumptions:

Do the work, and then show it off.
1) you assume "the work" is making your car faster. what if I think my max is fast enough? a 15 flat stock quarter mile is good enough for me. does that mean I shouldn't put a kit or rims on? if I must follow your little engine/looks modification rule, what kind of scale applies? can I put on rims after the intake/y-pipe? 17s okay for a budget pipe but only stillen owners can pimp 19s? must I wait for a supercharger before I can put on my kit?

People who dress up their cars to make them fast, without actually making them fast
2) this doesn't make any sense, but I'll assume for the sake of argument that you meant "people dress up their cars to make them look fast". while this may be more coherent, it is still not correct. i want my car to look good. not fast. if I wanted my car to look fast I would have bought a red sports car, not a blue sedan.

so again I ask, am I a ricer because I have a kit but only an intake?
Old 11-18-2002, 01:37 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

why is a body kit considered rice?
Old 11-18-2002, 04:54 PM
Handsome

once again you are operating under several assumptions:

1) you assume "the work" is making your car faster. what if I think my max is fast enough? a 15 flat stock quarter mile is good enough for me. does that mean I shouldn't put a kit or rims on? if I must follow your little engine/looks modification rule, what kind of scale applies? can I put on rims after the intake/y-pipe? 17s okay for a budget pipe but only stillen owners can pimp 19s? must I wait for a supercharger before I can put on my kit?

2) this doesn't make any sense, but I'll assume for the sake of argument that you meant "people dress up their cars to make them look fast". while this may be more coherent, it is still not correct. i want my car to look good. not fast. if I wanted my car to look fast I would have bought a red sports car, not a blue sedan.

so again I ask, am I a ricer because I have a kit but only an intake?
First off I said nothing about rims. Rims and clear corners, or red clear tails cleans up the appearence of the car. An aggresive bodykit (I am talking about bodykits that have huge mouth front ends, and big huge spoilers, not conservative ground effects like stillens those came on anniversery editions), or 3 story aluminum spoiler makes the car look fast. Read the original post, don't just assume.

Put a Saleen next to a GT
Put a 330 next to an M3
Ask anyone on the street which one is faster (even if they have no idea what kind of cars they are) and they'll say the Saleen and the M3, because they look fast. This is just an inherent trait, show cars are trying to capitalize on this. I hope that you would say that a V6 mustange with a bodykit is just a V6 mustange, and is no where near as nice as a Saleen. This is because we know the Saleen is way fast, not because it has a bodykit. So why put an aggresive bodykit on if we just decided that a bodykit doesnt make the car better; because people are trying to make their car look like a better version that is faster. A lancer here in the states wouldn't be anymore appealing with a bodykit, but a twin turbo EVO 7 would be nice, not because it looks better but it's fast.

All I'm saying is if your going to dress your car up (as in make it look fast not clean!) at least do somthing to it's origianl purpose (transportation) and make your parts functional. A three foot spoiler, big huge muffler, fake intercooler, speakers that sound like blow off valves, and a monster tachometer thats not hooked up serve no purpose.

My reason for this post is the majority of people in the import scene only put these things on their cars. Anytime I go out I see way more civics with nonfunctional products as mentioned above, than those with fully built engines. I am just frustrated that this is where the market is going, I want some of the fast cars japan has to offer (see about the RSX-R in the original post.) I would also like some respect from the domestic and european community's for being a true tuner. But mention import these days, and peoples heads are clouded with riced out neon filled cars that have nothing done to them.

Again I am not talking about conservative ground effects, rims or clear corners, these make the car look cleaner and probably wouldn't be recognized my Joe Blow as someone who's trying to projhect their car as fast.

But a big spoiler, tachometer, fake intercoolers, an aggresive bodykit, and big muffler are going to be recognized as a modified car, I'm just saying that it should be.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:14 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

blah, blah, blah...so where do you categorize a high 15 second 4th gen with nice rims, red clear tails and clears but with that new "Skyline-style" front bumper and full kit?? rice right??? or do the other "tasteful" asthetic mods seperate this max from the rice bunch??

thats why the eternal argument or "rice" is so stupid and pointless ...who can determine what rice is, what factors seperate it, is it show or go or both...
Old 11-19-2002, 12:46 PM
Handsome

blah, blah, blah...so where do you categorize a high 15 second 4th gen with nice rims, red clear tails and clears but with that new "Skyline-style" front bumper and full kit?? rice right??? or do the other "tasteful" asthetic mods seperate this max from the rice bunch??

thats why the eternal argument or "rice" is so stupid and pointless ...who can determine what rice is, what factors seperate it, is it show or go or both...
If your going to dramatically change the look of the car and pay thousands of dollars for it, yet still come away with a car that performs the same? I always thought that a car was made for performance, and thats why that is tested when testing a car, (I havn't seen car and driver testing for the asthetics of neon window washer, five foot aluminum spoilers, or bodykits) I figure if someone drops a few grand into their car, it should improve it's true purpose.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:56 PM
Destroying The Hopes And Dreams of Honda Owners Everywhere!

My viewpoint is this. To each their own. Who am i to judge someone else's car. As long as the owner is happy with it who cares. We all have our own purposes to modding our cars. If a honda owner wants to put washer nozzles, altezzas etc on their car who cares. If they like it thats all that matters. Same wiht someone who wants to be a sleeper car that has a beast under the engine. Looks is in the eye of the beholder. Just like we are entitled to hold an opinion, we are all entitled to do whatever we want to our cars, as ultimately you are the one driving it. Going fast, having show or both, remaining stock, its all up to the individual. and thats my take. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
why is a body kit considered rice?
To some it depends on the kit. "A clean almost stock looking" kit might be considered fine but a "huge mouth swallowing puppies and joggers on the way" by kind of kit some dont like.

I like both usually and dont think a kit makes a car rice.

SuDZ
Old 11-19-2002, 03:52 PM

mmmm sheeesha
Old 11-20-2002, 12:58 AM

Not sure if this is off topic.. oh wellz im posting anyways

Basically 18's on a Black 2k1 Max, Progress Springs, Same twenty something tint all around(gonna strip this and retint all around 13 percent and tint the front windshield something light), Clear Corners with Xtreme white Piaas, 2 12's jl w3's.. Would i be considered rice? Just wondering? And if so Why?

I'm also planning on getting probably in this order:

Intake (Frankencar, but they arent done making it)

Y pipe(Budget)and/or Dual Tip Muffler like the Dual round angled cut 3.5's or the Dual rectangular angled cut 3's
(Optional, Dont know If i can stand the sound of the muffler with a ypipe. What do you guys recommend? Only Y pipe? Only Muffler? Or Both?)
Hid Kit 6k
Hid fogs 6k
that underdrive pulley thing (from wat i read it helps low end cuz its lighter than the stock pulley)

no clue why i went into all that detail.. sorry. But yah is my ride considered rice so far? I think its cuz i really hate rice rides that's why im asking. Before I might have done things that made my car faster, but what's the point for me. Im 18 in college got into a big accident a few months ago, 90mph ticket ( so u can see i cant afford to race) and now since im focusing maybe a bit more on "Show" would you guys consider me Rice?
Old 11-20-2002, 05:42 AM

People change their car to signify it as different. But a car was made for transportation, changing it would mean changing these aspects. If you don't change these aspects then the car offers the same level of transportation that other cars of the same make and model do, so it is not different.

Believe it of not, cars are more than just a means of transportation. If people just wanted to get from A to B, there not be so many styles and makes of vehicles. People DO buy cars based on how they look so modifying the look of a car to be unique also makes sense....regardless of what's under the hood.

I just hope that when they modify the look, that they do it tastefully, but who am I to judge....to each his own.

Also, I use my car as a daily driver so I am not that interested in making it go super fast.
Look at me! I beat you to the next red light!

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about where import tuning is going?