General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Got a Taste of a 2JZ-GTE

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 10:10 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Got a Taste of a 2JZ-GTE

DISCLAIMER: This is *NOT* a Str**t R****g thread. Just talkin about my encounter with a Supra and our mutual display of horsepower, and how his was about 3 times bigger than mine. LOL =)

Anyways, no arguments about power to weight or any of that stuff from me this time! This Supra was BAAAAAAAD!!!

I was on my way home yesterday at a pretty good pace trying to get to the DC Beltway before everybody did, so I'm cruising at 80 mph in the left lane. I look behind me and what do I see? A red Toyota Supra TT coming up pretty quick through traffic sticking out like a sore thumb. Hmmmm... I knew there never *ever* a chance in hell, but I figured I'd just have some fun with him if I could...hehehe.

So traffic was stacked up in the right lanes and the Supra lined up behind me. It was clear up ahead for a bit with some room to stretch so I downshifted to 4th as I was coming up on the slower car with the Supra right on my tail. I knew as soon as I cleared the other car the Supra was gonna switch over and hit it so I was ready for him.

As I was about to overtake, I started adding some throttle and picked up to 90. I cleared the other car, the Supra moved over like clockwork to overtake, and then I buried it. haha...the Supra was pulling on me the whole way (and I can guarantee you he wasn't even trying, nor even in the right gear! LOL) but I stayed on it all the way up to 120 in 4th (really really need an MEVI for this) and managed to shut the door on him.

I slowed down for traffic up ahead, but this guy was obviously willing to drive a good bit more aggressively than I was. He broke free and this time he was in the right gear and actually went WOT.

[2JZ-GTE wail] BWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!! [/2JZ-GTE wail]

He was *at least* BPU and had an exhaust, and OMFG, this dude was down the entire next straightaway in a matter of seconds! Holy crap did that thing move!

Anyways, I wanted to catch up because now he was my active cop shield and I could seriously cook down to the beltway without speeding ticket fears (he'd get one for me =). I finally managed to get clear of some cars (without doing anything stupid) and SURE ENOUGH, some dumbazz in a riced out Accord saw the Supra too and wanted a piece of the action and cut me off just as I was about to make my break. I was like OMG, GTF outta my way! LOL. The far right lane was clear so I hammered it in 4th from about 75 and blew that moron away.

Finally caught up with the Supra at the next roadblock of everybody going 65 side-by-side and pulled alongside. Honked with a thumbs up, out of my window, and we both smiled and nodded

He broke free of some cars after that and the same story repeated. Down the next straightaway in a matter of seconds with that 2JZ-GTE wailing on full boost. God damn those cars are freakin sweet. I want one!! =)
Old 10-22-2002, 10:13 AM
Administrator

whats that?
Old 10-22-2002, 10:17 AM

Supra!!!!!!!!!! Dads got a 98 6 speed. IN stock form it kicks ***! what is it 0-60 in 4.7? something ridiculous like that.

Now ditch the twins in favor of a larger single garrett, HKS fuel management, about another $5K worth of junk and that Supra straight six will make over 550 HP. Not many cars out there can compete with that. Most bang for the buck = Supra. Expensive toys!!!!

Someday that car will be mine!!!
Old 10-22-2002, 10:25 AM

BPU they make like 420 rwhp (over 500 crank!) for like $1400 or something. All you have to do is get a boost controller, ECU boost/fuel cut bypass mod, unclog some plumbing (think that's it), and you're there.

I guess you can easily get 500 rwhp or more out of the OE twins, and 700 rwhp is easily reached with a larger single!

Those cars are freakin crazy modded
Old 10-22-2002, 10:45 AM

BPU?

Okay just a question. I see the term BPU with Supras a lot and just wondering what it is? Is it a special model or package opr something else all together?

SuDZ
Old 10-22-2002, 10:46 AM

uh..I think he knows what a bpu supra is....
Old 10-22-2002, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Re: BPU?

Originally posted by SuDZ
Okay just a question. I see the term BPU with Supras a lot and just wondering what it is? Is it a special model or package opr something else all together?

SuDZ
Basic Performance Upgrades.. its just like Intake / DP / Catback
Old 10-22-2002, 10:59 AM

Re: Re: BPU?

Originally posted by SprintMax
Basic Performance Upgrades.. its just like Intake / DP / Catback
Cool thanks.

SuDZ
Old 10-22-2002, 11:10 AM

http://www.mkiv.com/faq/faqtt.html

Like Sprint said, and...

BPU gives you 370-410 rwhp for $1500-2000

There are also different stages of "BPU" as well, (BPU+, BPU++) that are described in the tech section.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: BPU?

Originally posted by SuDZ

Cool thanks.

SuDZ

bpu - basic performance upgrade
[list=1]
[*]my tt is currently stock, but i want to improve its performance. what should i do?
glad to hear you're ready to "really" join the tt club! we have found that the tt responds very well to the following list of basic performance upgrade s (bpus). these upgrades are proven (by us naturally!!) to have a high degree of reproducibility from car to car if you install all of the following:
exhaust system (most of the major brand name exhausts are fine)
downpipe with or without high flow catalytic converter (rod millan, speedtek, random technology, stillen, uprd, powerhouse & spp)
ebc or mbc (electronic/manual boost controller), not boost controllers w/ fuzzy logic (e.g.. profec a and hks evc)
fuel cut defenser (greddy bcc - highly recommended by the mkiv.com members. read why hks fcd is the same as the ffcd (using the hks fcd or the ffcd is only recommended if you have the ttc mod and 12v mod)
with the bpu installed, you can expect to obtain approximately 370-410 rear wheel horsepower (rwhp). damn, you gotta love the supra tt!!

you will also want to install a boost gauge to monitor how much boost you are running. obviously running more boost is going to decrease the life of your turbos (by how much is not really known) so you will want to watch this. a few turbos don't last long at all at higher than stock boost levels, but most seem to take the increased boost just fine. most people think the best trade off is no more than 18 psi although some have had success and longevity with higher boost. a conservative number would be to run 15 psi low boost with occasional runs to 17 psi if you get an ebc that is easily adjustable on the fly. even with a supra, you gotta be willing to pay to play...
back to start
[*] how much will bpu cost me?
around ~$2k if you go for the electronic boost controller instead of using a manual boost controller or a bleeder valve. not bad, huh? try to get that kind of serious hp for the money in any other performance ride!!
back to start
[/list=1]
Old 10-22-2002, 11:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: BPU?

slow poke
Old 10-22-2002, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BPU?

Originally posted by SteVTEC
slow poke
i was cut and pasting
Old 10-22-2002, 11:15 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BPU?

i was cut and pasting
So was I, but I decided just to paraphrase instead
Old 10-22-2002, 11:29 AM

Fear the whining hair dyers!
Old 10-22-2002, 11:58 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

mmmm supras. i just watched all of those chirs tuner supra videos(again) last night. yummy.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Synki
Fear the whining hair dyers! :laugh :
Stage IV WRX, eh?

hehe...carbon copy this story only make it a WRX and it was the same story for me a couple of months ago too. This guy's Scooby was insanely loud, had FMIC, and probably a ton of other stuff under the hood. Came screaming down the same road probably doing 120+ and had to slam on the brakes. He lined up behind me to get around the other people and I buried it in 4th as soon as I got clear.

It was funny watching him pull like mad even with my foot buried. hahaha. But I held him off the 200 yards to the next group of cars.

I've run into a few other WRX's like this in the DC area too. Man, if I move up north in a year or so like I might try to do, I'll probably trade in the Max for the revised WRX
Old 10-22-2002, 12:35 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

What do 400rwhp, 500rwhp, and 600+rwhp Supras have in common? They all run 12s

Dave
Old 10-22-2002, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Dave B

Dave
not so buddy...

just that most of the drivers bought the car for speed and can't launch it..
Old 10-22-2002, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Dave
http://www.racingflix.com/getvideo.asp?v=154
Old 10-22-2002, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
Stage IV WRX, eh?

hehe...carbon copy this story only make it a WRX and it was the same story for me a couple of months ago too. This guy's Scooby was insanely loud, had FMIC, and probably a ton of other stuff under the hood. Came screaming down the same road probably doing 120+ and had to slam on the brakes. He lined up behind me to get around the other people and I buried it in 4th as soon as I got clear.

It was funny watching him pull like mad even with my foot buried. hahaha. But I held him off the 200 yards to the next group of cars.

I've run into a few other WRX's like this in the DC area too. Man, if I move up north in a year or so like I might try to do, I'll probably trade in the Max for the revised WRX
Yep. I am at TurboXS Stage 4 right now. I am going to the dyno next week to have the car fined tuned for some more power. Car should be good for mid 12's with traps of 107mph or so.

I mean the car is fast and all but there will always be someone faster.

Damn i love these hair dryers. hehe.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check this out http://www.suprastore.com/45suppac.html
Old 10-22-2002, 02:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

haha... got blown away steve?

i sold my supra but i loved that thing...

next...FD3S.. single turbo RX7. they blow away supras
Old 10-22-2002, 02:22 PM

Yeah thats kinda funny, my dad did it backwards. Most RX-7 owners hate the the Supra, it's a pig they call it, way too heavy, yadda yadda yadda. My dad sold his higly modded 88 Rx-7 Turbo II in order to get the Supra.
I like the later model Rx-7' body with the earlier turbo dual wankle rotory in it. I want one!

Rx8 is out next year!

The only problem with the rotory is working on it in the car, man its tight under that Rx-7 hood, especially down where the exhaust and turbo gaskets sit.....
Old 10-22-2002, 02:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yeah that's the one im getting, its going to be in the 600whp range soon enough, the key to RX7's is power to weight plus they will blow a supra away in the curves.

my supra had a Trust T88 single turbo, and it was putting down 767rwhp but it was very peaky.

steve knows about my supra

i blew the stock twins and i had to get a single, insurance paid for..haha
Old 10-22-2002, 05:09 PM

Dave

Theres one local to me who puts down 700 HP and 600 ft lbs torque at the wheels, with single turbo mod, stock block and heads (somehow). He runs 10.5s on slicks @ 138 mph. I raced him once a really long time ago on my sport bike and he gave me a run. Try 400+hp on our 3.0 6 cyl.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:30 PM

Supra = One of my fav cars. I would've done the same. Nice try Steve
Old 10-22-2002, 11:33 PM

I messed with a BPU supra too one time....just to hear and see him take off. We have some of the most powerful supras in the US in Chicago...I see at least a BPU once a week.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i think im going to cry. Can i borrow 45K from someone, i promise to pay it back, i tell you i will.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1869359693
Old 10-23-2002, 12:26 AM

what's amazing about the fd (3rd gen rx-7) is that its a 1.3 liter rotary with turbo that can produce so much power...light and fast...wow

but the supra and its 2jzgte i love that!

h
Old 10-23-2002, 05:17 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I messed with a BPU supra too one time....just to hear and see him take off. We have some of the most powerful supras in the US in Chicago...I see at least a BPU once a week.

yeah Warren Chang aka Admin/Owner of Supraforums has two sweet supra's and he is in IL ..

but AZ and TX take the cake on powerful supra's Cali has a nice host of single turbo supras too.. Jesus has two powerful ones down in Miami and a couple runnign around in Orlando.. but TX and AZ? we are talking 800 - 1000 rwhp surpa's
Old 10-23-2002, 05:36 AM
Langley AFB Sux

yeah Warren Chang aka Admin/Owner of Supraforums has two sweet supra's and he is in IL ..

but AZ and TX take the cake on powerful supra's Cali has a nice host of single turbo supras too.. Jesus has two powerful ones down in Miami and a couple runnign around in Orlando.. but TX and AZ? we are talking 800 - 1000 rwhp surpa's
These are Thomas's bud eh?

God i love watching those videos of him and his 100shot. Im not too sure on the mods the supras had.....according to video titles they were BPU++ or something like that.....

friend here has a 96 RX7...he will be getting the single turbo conversion soon.....already got the tien suspension for it...toe links...big brakes....cat back..thing is fast as hell...I know G-Techs arent to precise but he clocked off a 4.55 0-60......on Volk 18's

Aaron
Old 10-23-2002, 06:03 AM
Administrator

nah i don't think thomas hangs with the supra crew..

single turbo rx7's usually run 11's.. and are prone to apex seals going..

Originally posted by Aaron95SE

These are Thomas's bud eh?

God i love watching those videos of him and his 100shot. Im not too sure on the mods the supras had.....according to video titles they were BPU++ or something like that.....

friend here has a 96 RX7...he will be getting the single turbo conversion soon.....already got the tien suspension for it...toe links...big brakes....cat back..thing is fast as hell...I know G-Techs arent to precise but he clocked off a 4.55 0-60......on Volk 18's

Aaron
Old 10-23-2002, 06:05 AM
Langley AFB Sux

nah i don't think thomas hangs with the supra crew..

single turbo rx7's usually run 11's.. and are prone to apex seals going..

True....he'd chuck the max and get a Supra.....

He said something about 2 or 3mm seals too? Not sure on that.....not a rotary guy here.......he loves the car.....I took it for a spin.....forgot how much fun a RWD car can be...specially a turbo RWD

Aaron
Old 10-23-2002, 06:09 AM
Administrator

True....he'd chuck the max and get a Supra.....

He said something about 2 or 3mm seals too? Not sure on that.....not a rotary guy here.......he loves the car.....I took it for a spin.....forgot how much fun a RWD car can be...specially a turbo RWD

Aaron
FD's are very beautiful cars but a beater car is a must when owning one.. because they are very hard to maintain once you start to modify them
Old 10-23-2002, 06:27 AM
Langley AFB Sux

FD's are very beautiful cars but a beater car is a must when owning one.. because they are very hard to maintain once you start to modify them
Thats what ive heard, kind of a bummer too. He knows tho....He seems to have everything planned out for the car. Its in beautiful shape....He just put a CF hood on it too. FatA$$ Gunmetal Volks.....Nice ride....

Still, when i look at my max or other modded ones.....It just seems much more different. I mean really....who expects a 4dr family sedan to perform like it does......Its nice having a fast but not so common car

Aaron
Old 10-23-2002, 06:40 AM
I am Roid Rage

Still, when i look at my max or other modded ones.....It just seems much more different. I mean really....who expects a 4dr family sedan to perform like it does......Its nice having a fast but not so common car

Aaron
That’s what I keep telling myself when I realize I can’t afford a Supra or RX-7.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:47 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by Bluebird

That’s what I keep telling myself when I realize I can’t afford a Supra or RX-7.
Yup....Same here

Maybe one day. But I can get groceries in the trunk and 2 kids in the back........and still haul a$$. Im happy, just wish I had the cash to turbo it. Who knows....this weekend ill get my zex kit on. Wont make my max a supra killer.....but im sure it will suprise some people.

This one fuqr with a Camaro SS.....thinks he's the sh**. Always reving doing burnouts.....talks smack about everybody elses car.
I might not beat it....but he'll be ****ed when hes struggling to pull on me. (hopefully)

Either way he's a jacka$$

Old 10-23-2002, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Not here in Brooklyn; Im lucky to see MAYBE 1 a month.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Bluebird

you have got to be kidding me..

you can get a 93 - 94 FD for $10,000 .. slightly cheaper than your 99 Max...

and during winter you can get 6spd Supra TT's from $16,000 - $25,000
Old 10-23-2002, 08:34 AM
I am Roid Rage

you have got to be kidding me..

you can get a 93 - 94 FD for $10,000 .. slightly cheaper than your 99 Max...

and during winter you can get 6spd Supra TT's from $16,000 - $25,000
Yeah, but I'd have to sell my Max to do it. With either one of those cars I'd be screwed in these Northern winters. Whole new meaning to the drifting concept. And my dog would be upset if he had to ride in a 2-door with small windows.
Those prices are cheaper than what I thought though. I imagine they'd have to be even cheaper around here because of the whole winter thing and the fact that the import scene is pretty much non-existent compared to other areas. Maybe I'll save up and get a second car in a couple of years and use my Max as my winter beater .

Quick Reply: Got a Taste of a 2JZ-GTE