General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My clutch/tranny is acting weird...help plz.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 02:59 PM

My clutch/tranny is acting weird...help plz.

Hey,

Recently my clutch started acting a little funny. The feel of it is no constant throughout my 25mi commute to work anymore. For example, at one time is could be really sensitive and then at another it's kind of slippery. Is this a sign of wearing on the clutch, or more on the clutch cylinders? Also, sometimes when I'm rolling and trying to put the trans. into gear it will grind a little bit even though I fully depress the clutch.

Thanks.
Peace.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:16 PM

Re: My clutch/tranny is acting weird...help plz.

Originally posted by 2KxSEx
Hey,

Recently my clutch started acting a little funny. The feel of it is no constant throughout my 25mi commute to work anymore. For example, at one time is could be really sensitive and then at another it's kind of slippery. Is this a sign of wearing on the clutch, or more on the clutch cylinders? Also, sometimes when I'm rolling and trying to put the trans. into gear it will grind a little bit even though I fully depress the clutch.

Thanks.
Peace.
check the fluid level of the clutch reservour, that's the first thing, I'll bet that that's the problem, keep us updated
Old 10-22-2002, 04:52 PM

Does it feel like sometimes the clutch engagement point is high and the other times the clutch is low? Could be that the slave cylinder is preloaded. If so, read my article in the 4th gen FAQ about how to adjust it so it is no longer preloaded.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong
Does it feel like sometimes the clutch engagement point is high and the other times the clutch is low? Could be that the slave cylinder is preloaded. If so, read my article in the 4th gen FAQ about how to adjust it so it is no longer preloaded.
I don't that would really be a problem, he didn't do anything to the clutch that would effect that, the reason I'm pretty sure it's the fluid is because we have a hydrolic clutch and when I had my mazda exact same happened, my foot would be all the way to the floor and I could hardly engage the gears, little fluid is all it took to fix that problem
Old 10-22-2002, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I'll check the fluid level tommorow, cause it's too late now. Why would the level of the stock fluid go down? Does that mean a leak or something similar?

PEace.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by 2KxSEx
Thanks for the quick reply guys. I'll check the fluid level tommorow, cause it's too late now. Why would the level of the stock fluid go down? Does that mean a leak or something similar?

PEace.
no, as the clutch wears in/out (pick one ) that space is being replaced by the fluid, so you might be at a point where the fluid is low enough that it actually effects your driving, I check my fluids about once a month, most of the time the levels are fine, but lets say after a track day the brake fluid level is lower, for the same reason, that space is being replaced by the fluid

good luck

K
Old 10-23-2002, 02:17 PM

Re: My clutch/tranny is acting weird...help plz.

did you find out?
Old 10-23-2002, 04:03 PM

I checked, but the fluid is at the "full" level. Damn tranny doesn't want to go into gear sometimes. I'm gonna replace my tranny fluid to a synthetic based. See if that will help the tranny.

Thanks.