General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Rear Suspension Hits Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 10:18 PM

Rear Suspension Hits Exhaust

I searched for suspension hits exhaust and found nothing!

Anyways, my car is on the lift being inspected by insurance for the damage I incurred by hitting a dump truck's driveshaft at 65MPH. So far I get a new tranny, new gas thank, new oil pan, and new front frame piece.

Anyways, I've always noticed that when I hit big bumps with the rear suspension the car makes a lot of noise, like little bangs and stuff. it does it A LOT with people in the back.

Anyways I can see that the multi-beam is hitting the greddy piping, this is really annoying. By sheer Maxima design I cannot see a way to prevent this from happening, I actually would like to see the stock setup as I would be amazed if that setup didn't do it either. It seems that if the suspension is fully compressed it would not leave enough room between the car body and the multibeam for the exhaust piping to reside.

Anyone have any feedback on this, any recommendations on exhaust systems that do not have this problem. It makes my car really cheap sounding and feeling, and if I have 2-3 ppl in the backseat it sounds like my car is going to fall apart when going over bumps.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2002, 12:38 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

mines does the same thing but not as bad as yours. i have sevral gouges in my exhaust piping. so basically if i hit a speed bump hard enough it will clank. for right now i check it from time to time to make sure it doesnt bang all the way through.

i cant really see how to get around it right now.

i might have a muffler shop take a look it.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I ghetto-rigged mine with some wire that I picked up at Home Depot and it doesnt bang at all anymore. In fact, my muffler no longer moves at all I can take some pics of you want to see how I did it.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:00 AM

No one mentioned POOR CAR!
Old 10-31-2002, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve
I ghetto-rigged mine with some wire that I picked up at Home Depot and it doesnt bang at all anymore. In fact, my muffler no longer moves at all I can take some pics of you want to see how I did it.
Yes I'd be very interested in these pictures.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Brian, I had the same issue

When I got my exhaust looked at last time, I had a resonator placed in the straight pipe to the rear of the cat.

I bought a Stillen exhaust and, as many know, very fricking loud.

To eliminate the banging, we basically pushed the exhaust forward as far as possible before securing the hangers etc. The problem with the aftermarket set ups, is that they are about a 1/4 of an inch too long from the cat back and they hit the beam right at the first major curve in the B pipe. Since we did this, it does not hit underneath the car and my muffler no longer bounces off the rear bumper cut out.

I hope that this is helpful to you solving your noisy exhaust problem.

D
Old 10-31-2002, 08:21 AM

i thought mine was the only one that hit over heavy bumps. I currently have a custom B-pipe with stock muffler and it hits all the time. So I was thinking about buying a new catback system all together to help avoid this clunking, but if your saying that your Greddy hits too, then it must be the design of the rear suspension

BTW, any of you guys get a a weird rubbing/clunk sound around the **** **** area but from underneath when you take turns? I was thinking its my y pipe/b-pipe making that noise.

Ant
Old 10-31-2002, 08:39 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

When you drop the car more than 1.5" in the rear and you've got bigger than stock piping, you will most likely get the clanking. My car did it all the time with my Intrax springs and Stillen B-pipe. What you hear clanking is the B-pipe hitting the top of the beam axle when the suspension is at full compression. With my H&Rs I sometimes get the clank and not near as often as I did with the Intrax. I really don't see how you can fix the problem (ie lifting the exhaust upwards) without causing other rubbing issues with the exhaust. Securing the exhaust so that's really tight isn't a good idea either because it ends up putting a ton of stress on the y-pipe flex section and manifold bolts.

Dave
Old 10-31-2002, 08:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can use the rubber spacers sold at most shops to raise the rear just a bit...one in front and one in back of each spring...I have a set in case I need...just in case but I don't plan on using them until required...I am not near as low as you.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:16 PM

I have an A'PEXi WS cat-back and sprint springs and mine doesn't clank AT ALL, even with passengers in the back.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:39 PM

I'm going to see if I can figure something out.

Wizza, I'm not as low as I used to be, I'm running B&G springs now.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:10 PM
What's next!?..

Your B pipe is probably banging into the little cross brace.

When I got my new exhaust put in 2 weeks ago, the guys there removed the brace and added rubber spacers between it and the car effectively lowering it about 1/2 inch. They also bent the support bar that comes off the b pipe down a little too so it wouldn't hang down so low.

Everything's perfectly centered on my car. No banging at all.
Old 10-31-2002, 10:34 PM

im stock height and get clanking from under where the auto shifter is.... all that means to me is that i have to change the hanger out because this one is shot. Simple solutions often get overlooked so check out your hangers.