General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Basic How to Turbo Any Car Properly (NO BS!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 07:04 AM

Basic How to Turbo Any Car Properly (NO BS!)

What you will need for a turbo setup to do it properly...

1) Turbo of your choice preferably... T3, T4, T5, T60-1, or T3/T4 Hybrid all usually are made by Garrett no matter who you buy them from, the other companies just slab their name on the turbo minus some high performance HKS GT style turbos

2) Some sort of wastegate, either internal, or an external one like those made by Greddy/Trust, HKS, Blitz, etc.

3) Blow off Valve made by your choice of manufacturer HKS, Blitz, Greddy/Trust, Apexi, etc.

4) (Don't have to have but recommended!!!) Intercooler that can handle at least 20psi and has been pressure tested to those specs at least and at least as big as the one I am selling that is 18x8x3 (long x wide x thick) some manufacturers are Spearco, Sparco, Trust/Greddy, Hks, Blitz, etc.

5) Custom piping including crossover piping, etc. (CALL ME FOR ME Info!!!)

6) Some sort of really good cone ffilter intake (I recommend The Gracier Airinx, or K&N style, but APC works too)

7) at least 2.5" diameter exhaust complete from downpipe back

8) Larger injectors at least 91-96 Twin turbo Stock 300zx, 370cc injectors (complete set of 6)

9) Custom ECU either JWT or something else to accomodate new Injectors, etc.

10) (Not Needed but can be helpful if higher boost is desired!!!) Boost Controller from manufacturer such as Blitz (like my Blitz DUal SBC), Greddy/Trust, HKS, Apexi, etc.

11) (Not Needed But Highly recommended!!!) Turbo Timer or included in ECU reprogramming

12) (FOR HIGH BOOST!!!) I recommend a complete engine rebuild with lower compression JE pistons, or Topline Pistons, Cams, and so on lowering compression to either 9:1 or 8:5:1 (CALL FOR MORE INFO!!!)

13) (You MUST HAVE THIS!!!) At least a Centerforce Dual Friction, or ACT Street Disk Clutch kit upgrade, recommend the ACT 6 Puck or 4 puck clutch it setup for aggressive drivers!

14) (Recommend but not a definate need!!!) AASCO 11 lbs Flywheel, or Unorthodox 11lbs Flywheel, or Stillen 11 lbs Flywheel all are the same genreally unless Unorthodox, or Stillen actually has their own makes in stock (USUALLY They don't!!!)

I believe that is it, but if I think of anything more I will let you know! If anyone has any questions please contact more or if by some chance I forgot to list something chime in!

The Edge Productions

Jared Seymour - OWNER
3449 Lannette Lane
Lexington, KY 40503
USA
Phone: (859) 224-9551
Email: TheEdgeProductions@yahoo.com
Old 11-05-2002, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Re: Basic How to Turbo Any Car Properly (NO BS!)

Originally posted by EdgeProductions
8) Larger injectors at least 91-96 Twin turbo Stock 300zx, 370cc injectors (complete set of 6)
you might want to revise this one
Old 11-05-2002, 07:07 AM
Administrator

13) (You MUST HAVE THIS!!!) At least a Centerforce Dual Friction, or ACT Street Disk Clutch kit upgrade, recommend the ACT 6 Puck or 4 puck clutch it setup for aggressive drivers!

CenterForce Clutches can't even handle N/A Power much less a boosted maxima..

ACT 6 puck and 4 Puck Clutches will blow maxima transmissions.. no questions asked.. it has blown about 6 so far...
Old 11-05-2002, 07:08 AM

Re: Re: Basic How to Turbo Any Car Properly (NO BS!)

Originally posted by SprintMax

you might want to revise this one
Notice I said "AT LEAST" this would be strictly for low boost applications, otherwise I would recommend the Nismo 555 injectors or a custom one to be made!

Jared
Old 11-05-2002, 07:09 AM
Administrator

4) (Don't have to have but recommended!!!) Intercooler that can handle at least 20psi and has been pressure tested to those specs at least and at least as big as the one I am selling that is 18x8x3 (long x wide x thick) some manufacturers are Spearco, Sparco, Trust/Greddy, Hks, Blitz, etc.
Originally posted by thebigsadler
just fyi.. a to4e or t60 or any trim higher than stock specs on a car needs an intercooler around 28" or bigger.. good luck selling an 18" intercooler to a group of people who have turbo's too big for this intercooler.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Basic How to Turbo Any Car Properly (NO BS!)

Notice I said "AT LEAST" this would be strictly for low boost applications, otherwise I would recommend the Nismo 555 injectors or a custom one to be made!

Jared
91 - 94 injectors will not work on our cars
Old 11-05-2002, 07:13 AM

Re: Re: Basic How to Turbo Any Car Properly (NO BS!)

CenterForce Clutches can't even handle N/A Power much less a boosted maxima..

ACT 6 puck and 4 Puck Clutches will blow maxima transmissions.. no questions asked.. it has blown about 6 so far...
Try again! I have had one on my car for several months now! I have the ACT HDR6 clutch kit and AASCO 11 lbs Flywheel in my 3rd gen, course I also had the 5-speed tranny inspected when the clutch and flywheel were installed and it was in perfect shape, no need to rebuild, and I went to a reputable performance and repair shop here in Lexington to have the install done by professionals! The shop is called RTC (Racing Technology Company) call Dan O' Leary the owner if you have any questions about my install at (859) 367-0461. I assure you he can let you know anything you need to know about it that I may not know! Also I changed my Engine oil with High Revving Motorcycle V-twin engine style Amsoil, and Amsoil Tranny oil also at the same time! HUGE difference!

Jared
Old 11-05-2002, 07:16 AM
Administrator

ok let me rephrase that because i didn't know you had a 3rd Gen..

even though Jon blew 2 Centerforce Clutches on his VE 5spd ..

Center Force Clutches and ACT Puck Clutches do not work with 4th Gen's..

Centerforce works great for 5th Gen's though.. don't ask me why..

also if your 3rd Gen is a VE .. chances are you have LSD and a stronger tranny..

Try again! I have had one on my car for several months now! I have the ACT HDR6 clutch kit and AASCO 11 lbs Flywheel in my 3rd gen, course I also had the 5-speed tranny inspected when the clutch and flywheel were installed and it was in perfect shape, no need to rebuild, and I went to a reputable performance and repair shop here in Lexington to have the install done by professionals! The shop is called RTC (Racing Technology Company) call Dan O' Leary the owner if you have any questions about my install at (859) 367-0461. I assure you he can let you know anything you need to know about it that I may not know! Also I changed my Engine oil with High Revving Motorcycle V-twin engine style Amsoil, and Amsoil Tranny oil also at the same time! HUGE difference!

Jared
Old 11-05-2002, 07:17 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Basic How to Turbo Any Car Properly (NO BS!)

91 - 94 injectors will not work on our cars
My bad, but this is just "BASIC info", of course and that one was my bad, of course this and the intercooler have to be custom towards the needs of the system! I was just saying notice the subject headline "BASIC INFO" this thread was intended for those that know nothing about turbo setups to get a vague idea and go from there!

Jared
Old 11-05-2002, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Basic How to Turbo Any Car Properly (NO BS!)

My bad, but this is just "BASIC info", of course and that one was my bad, of course this and the intercooler have to be custom towards the needs of the system! I was just saying notice the subject headline "BASIC INFO" this thread was intended for those that know nothing about turbo setups to get a vague idea and go from there!

Jared
yes but with the emerging of turbo kits like crazy for 4th Gen's.. people might not have known you were sharing knowledge based on 3rd Gens.. take it as gospel and actually go out and follow .. thast why i posted so we could clarify...

no harm no foul
Old 11-05-2002, 07:23 AM

ok let me rephrase that because i didn't know you had a 3rd Gen..

even though Jon blew 2 Centerforce Clutches on his VE 5spd ..

Center Force Clutches and ACT Puck Clutches do not work with 4th Gen's..

Centerforce works great for 5th Gen's though.. don't ask me why..

also if your 3rd Gen is a VE .. chances are you have LSD and a stronger tranny..

Yes it is a VE30DE, 5-speed with LSD

Jared
Old 11-05-2002, 07:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Basic How to Turbo Any Car Properly (NO BS!)

yes but with the emerging of turbo kits like crazy for 4th Gen's.. people might not have known you were sharing knowledge based on 3rd Gens.. take it as gospel and actually go out and follow .. thast why i posted so we could clarify...

no harm no foul
Yeah I know about all the turbo Maximas, 3rd, 4th, & 5th gen. I also have several friends with custom trubo setups even a new Mazda Protege 5 with a turbo setup, not a huge feet for that though!

Jared
Old 11-05-2002, 07:45 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Try again! I have had one on my car for several months now!
Jared
1 month..not several...

I could have put the same list together. Until you've proven you can turbo a max, your info is just research...
Old 11-05-2002, 07:51 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Chris91SE

1 month..not several...

I could have put the same list together. Until you've proven you can turbo a max, your info is just research...
"Basic How to Turbo Any Car Properly (NO BS!)"

What about 5th gen turbo Maximas? No kits for them yet.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Basic How to Turbo Any Car Properly (NO BS!)

Yeah I know about all the turbo Maximas, 3rd, 4th, & 5th gen. I also have several friends with custom trubo setups even a new Mazda Protege 5 with a turbo setup, not a huge feet for that though!

Jared
you don't get what i am saying.. i am saying based on your information its false for 4th and 5th Gen Maxima...
Old 11-05-2002, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by Chris91SE

1 month..not several...

I don't want to turbo my max, why waste the money on a 3rd gen! It is too much money on a car worth only 3k now resale!

Don't get me wrong I love my max, but if I still din't owe money on it, it would be gone already, and I would have bout my friend's 84 Porshe 928S with S4 upgardes already done, and Bilsten Eibach Setup!

But theis is real life and I do not have enough money for his car, nor to pay mine off so i am stuck,a nd must do with what I have, it is still ten times better then a da.mnable civic, or Accord or something like that, just take my cousin's word for it after he blew up his LEvel 10 supped up 2000 accord v6 coupe.

Jared
Old 11-05-2002, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

"Basic How to Turbo Any Car Properly (NO BS!)"

What about 5th gen turbo Maximas? No kits for them yet.
Good point! There is one in the works last time I talked to Hal who also lives here in Kentucky just in Bowling Green like 120 miles from me!

Jared
Old 11-05-2002, 08:01 AM
Administrator

I don't want to turbo my max
Jared
so you are not exactly the best person to be giving this information
Old 11-05-2002, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Good point! There is one in the works last time I talked to Hal who also lives here in Kentucky just in Bowling Green like 120 miles from me!

Jared
he is being sarcastic
Old 11-05-2002, 08:03 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Basic How to Turbo Any Car Properly (NO BS!)

you don't get what i am saying.. i am saying based on your information its false for 4th and 5th Gen Maxima...
Well yeah some things for the 4th and 5th gen would have to be changed around from what I stated, but generally minus injectors, and a few other things it is the same! You will need a ECU reprogramming or custom Fuel/AIr Management setup, etc.

I was just doing this because I have had several emails about how to turbo a car and this was simple general info on what you would need to do to have a proper setup, not how to do it, but raw components you will need unless you want to screw up and sorry I forgot the fuel pump earlier I should have mentioned that as I have a Camero Holley 255 Fuel Pump in mine and it works great, close to what the Walbro is like

Jared
Old 11-05-2002, 08:13 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Old 11-05-2002, 08:14 AM

Wrong I did extensive research but I am not about to let it all known to everyone so they can save thousands of dollars and do their own turbo setup. I have researched turbocharging a maxima with several different shops in the region and internationally for that matter in the last 3 years and know very well the 3rd gen especially as well as the 4th gen, however have not had the opportunity to work on the 5th gen.

Initially my plan was to turbo my maxima but #1 I do not have the money to do so, and #2 it is a family sedan and a 92 at that which is now 11 years old and I do not see the point of turbocharging that old of a maxima, which is mind you only my opinion and other may choose to do so, that is why I posted this thread, no other reason except to help others a bit and quit answering the same questions all the time.

Jared

Jared
Old 11-05-2002, 08:32 AM

he is being sarcastic
No I was not being sarcastic, call Hal or email him, he was just waiting for someone to be the prototype and come to Bowling Green Last time I saw on here and chatted with hima few weeks ago! Believe me or not I don't care and further more don't have time for you to believe me or not!

Jared
Old 11-05-2002, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Basic How to Turbo Any Car Properly (NO BS!)

my god you are slow..

Kev was being sarcastic.. he already has a 5th Gen Turbo Kit at his house

No I was not being sarcastic, call Hal or email him, he was just waiting for someone to be the prototype and come to Bowling Green Last time I saw on here and chatted with hima few weeks ago! Believe me or not I don't care and further more don't have time for you to believe me or not!

Jared
Old 11-05-2002, 08:47 AM
Administrator

i really don't see anything special about what you posted.. half of it was wrong.. and the rest is general information.. maybbe you should have just searched here instead of doing extensive research.. because i don't see anything special in this post i havn't seen on this site.. apart from the incorrect informatoion..

also if you had looked.. we already have a Boost FAQ thread going

Wrong I did extensive research but I am not about to let it all known to everyone so they can save thousands of dollars and do their own turbo setup. I have researched turbocharging a maxima with several different shops in the region and internationally for that matter in the last 3 years and know very well the 3rd gen especially as well as the 4th gen, however have not had the opportunity to work on the 5th gen.

Initially my plan was to turbo my maxima but #1 I do not have the money to do so, and #2 it is a family sedan and a 92 at that which is now 11 years old and I do not see the point of turbocharging that old of a maxima, which is mind you only my opinion and other may choose to do so, that is why I posted this thread, no other reason except to help others a bit and quit answering the same questions all the time.

Jared

Jared
Old 11-05-2002, 08:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow after reading that i have learned nothing. Just bickering.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

you really should have posted this was 3rd gen only.

and why would anyone buy stuff from your for any gen with no proven results, as far as pictures, dyno's, 1/4 times, etc..

honestly you could just be scamming people.. half of your info is messed up and half of it doesn't flow.

you should build a kit. put it on someone's car and have many people attest to it.

i know harold personally, and i know what he got done, and he can tell me a hell of a lot more than you can.

jason
Old 11-05-2002, 08:55 AM
I'm needing a caw

Hai!