General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Maxima Future????

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 07:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Maxima Future????

I am on my second Maxima already. I love these cars, but awhile back a person told me that Nissan was going to start making the Altima their main V6 sedan. Is there any truth to this story. I hope not because I hate the Altima's.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:37 PM
Don't trust me, I'm sneaky

Word o mouth

As far as hearsay about 6th gen maxes, some guy at Auto Zone said her heard they would be v8s (like q45). But that is like 4th hand info, so take it like you will...
Old 11-07-2002, 10:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sweet V8 Maxima. I want one!
Old 11-07-2002, 10:15 PM

On this site, they say that the new 2004 maxima is gonna have AT LEAST 260 HP!! and maybe more! Isn't that great! I hope the new maxima will look good though but I'm confident that Nissan will make a good job.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cgi-bin/spy.pl?cat=asia
Old 11-08-2002, 12:41 AM
CaLSoNiC

Motivation will come from the current VQ-series DOHC 3.5-liter V6 paired to either a 6-speed manual or 4-speed automatic. Expect at least 260 hp in the new car and more on SE models possibly coupled with awd to handle that power
260HP + AWD? Can someone say Baby SKYLINE! w0000000000000000000t!!!
Cept Skylines are 2.6L with trubo... but still... AWD Maxima... **** yeah! Imma steal once since Im a poor High School kid.

Old 11-08-2002, 05:36 AM

i called my dad at nissan today and he said the altima is taking the place of the Maxima and the max is moving up into the lexus luxury catagory
Old 11-08-2002, 05:47 AM

Looks like I will have to get an AWD put on my max!

J/K I would be very interested in one, but I hear that they look VERY similar to the Altimas now. I saw the "test" pics on the forum.

Old 11-08-2002, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Unibomber
i called my dad at nissan today and he said the altima is taking the place of the Maxima and the max is moving up into the lexus luxury catagory
I hope they streamline the Altima a little bit & make a manual version. It looks a bit like a pregnant whale with a fat/flat butt...my opinion only of course.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:21 AM
I'm so hood

I hope they streamline the Altima a little bit & make a manual version.
The alty's available in manual, in both 2.5 and 3.5 form.

We'll just have to wait and see on the Max. Since signs point to "bigger" and bigger engine, I'm not too interested.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:22 AM

Don't they already make a manual version?

Not flaming, just askin.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by funnylittlman

Not flaming, just askin.
Let me hang my head in shame....I didn't know about the M/T I did see a pretty decent looking black Altima with dual Borla pipes, Eibachs, some 17" Enkei rims in some tuner mag a few months back. It was an A/T but looked alright....'cept for the big butt.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by funnylittlman

Not flaming, just askin.
Stygian meant the Max should still come with a manual in '04 & it should be more streamlined than the Alty, which I agree with totally.

The Lexus fighter scenario is crap, since The Infinti line-up has that more than covered.
It does, however, seem as if the Maxima/I35 is trying to find a niche in a very crowded segment. They are squeezed between the Altima (bang for buck) and the G35(more bang for buck), I just hope they keep the Max sporty.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:45 AM

I do not like the sound of that. Altima taking the Maximas place. Nissan must be kidding. The Maxima was Nissan's flagship and there handing it down to the Altima. All I could say is why? I think the 4th and 5th gen Maximas are the best looking cars why not they keep improving it rather than replicating the Altima. I saw the prototype pics of the new 6th gen Max and I was so dissappointed. I know Nissan improved all their cars in the lineup but keep the Max a nice price for consumers and not get to expensive for the youngins because I want the Maxima to be a car every ricer to respect. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:45 AM

I do not like the sound of that. Altima taking the Maximas place. Nissan must be kidding. The Maxima was Nissan's flagship and there handing it down to the Altima. All I could say is why? I think the 4th and 5th gen Maximas are the best looking cars why not they keep improving it rather than replicating the Altima. I saw the prototype pics of the new 6th gen Max and I was so dissappointed. I know Nissan improved all their cars in the lineup but keep the Max a nice price for consumers and not get to expensive to keep it on the import scene and also for the youngins because I want the Maxima to be a car every ricer to respect. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:46 AM

Stygian meant the Max should still come with a manual in '04 & it should be more streamlined than the Alty, which I agree with totally.
I wasn't flaming.. just to make sure.. but I do agree w/ that scenario!
Old 11-08-2002, 09:56 AM

why would nissan make the maxima a more luxury car...isnt that what the whole Infiniti lineup is for?? more luxury means more expensive. that would suck too
Old 11-08-2002, 09:56 AM

Marketing standpoint

With the move of the altima, nissan is presented with an odd marketing problem. The first part is that no other non-luxury car dealer has a model in the same class, and so people have a hard time finding something to compare it to (to decide how much of a value it is). The second part is that Maxima owners see driving an Altima as a step down the ladder (no offense to alty drivers). What they are trying to do is find a place for it to live where the people in the market for a larger sedan will be comfortable with it, while retaining the fanaticism of those of us who already own one.

Or, in other words, Nissan made a car that is too bad a$$ to compare to anything else on the market, and they are trying to figure out how to retain current max owners and making it appeal to new people (despite the fact that there is nothing to compare it to).

Keep in mind that they are trying to sell it on the fact that it hauls, not that it is luxurious - the commercial where the paint peels off? Priceless. It will stay sporty. Plus, name a lexus (aside from IS300) that comes with m/t - none of the big ones do, and neither do inifinitis (aside from g35 coupe).

They might get themselves in trouble and cannibalize on Infiniti sales, but they might figure out something innovative. They have a tendancy to do so in the manufacturing side(Z cars, maxs, altys, etc), and it might rub off on the marketing guys.

Sorry this was long.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:10 PM

I heard somewhere that they want to move it up into the size and class of the Toyota Avalon (Don' ask me why) so that is why the Alty was moves up to be the main fighter with the Accords, Camrys and any other mid/full size sedan that condsider themselves worthy...
Old 11-08-2002, 02:05 PM

Re: Marketing standpoint

Originally posted by SlavDaddy
With the move of the altima, nissan is presented with an odd marketing problem. The first part is that no other non-luxury car dealer has a model in the same class, and so people have a hard time finding something to compare it to (to decide how much of a value it is). The second part is that Maxima owners see driving an Altima as a step down the ladder (no offense to alty drivers). What they are trying to do is find a place for it to live where the people in the market for a larger sedan will be comfortable with it, while retaining the fanaticism of those of us who already own one.

Or, in other words, Nissan made a car that is too bad a$$ to compare to anything else on the market, and they are trying to figure out how to retain current max owners and making it appeal to new people (despite the fact that there is nothing to compare it to).

Keep in mind that they are trying to sell it on the fact that it hauls, not that it is luxurious - the commercial where the paint peels off? Priceless. It will stay sporty. Plus, name a lexus (aside from IS300) that comes with m/t - none of the big ones do, and neither do inifinitis (aside from g35 coupe).

They might get themselves in trouble and cannibalize on Infiniti sales, but they might figure out something innovative. They have a tendancy to do so in the manufacturing side(Z cars, maxs, altys, etc), and it might rub off on the marketing guys.

Sorry this was long.
Other than the V6 option, I don't see how the Altima infringes on the Max's market at all. Every magazine says so, but if you compare what the cars really have, like standard options, they are very different. But anyways...

I think if they "step up" the next Max, they can ditch the I35 and not worry about hurting Infiniti sales. They may say the G35 starts at 27K, but you won't find one for that price. And if you did, you wouldn't want to drive it anyways, you need the first couple of option packages just to get standard stuff!
Old 11-08-2002, 04:10 PM

perception

Its the customer perception of the altima (since the 3.5 gets so much press) that everyone refers to when they say it has moved up closer to the max (plus it looks way less cheap than the old altimas).

The average consumer does not know THAT much about standard features, and can be persuaded by what the dealer says and what the car at the dealership has on it. For instance, one of the local dealerships here (baton rouge) reported that its projected maxima sales this year are down by almost the same number the projected altima sales are up. While this doesn't say much about how the cars actually compare, it says a lot about how consumers THINK they compare.

And, people who own a max now know that an altima still doesn't compare, and so nissan has to keep the max around or lose return customers (cause we all love the max).

I just meant that Nissan has to figure out how to regain max sales and maintain altima sales by taking the accord sales away from honda.

A byproduct of this attempt will be that the max stays sporty, because for 30k someone can get luxurious from a million other dealers. They can't get a 250+hp 6 spd m/t full size sedan anywhere else, and nissan will have to figure out how to convince people that is what they need.

When it comes down to it, what will happen to the max is pretty much speculation at this point; I was just trying to reassure everyone that unless nissan makes a serious judgement error, the max will stay around and it will stay sporty (at least for a while).
Old 11-08-2002, 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Unibomber

Hey Unibomber, Does your daddy work for nissan? If he does why don't you tell him to talk to the NISMO people so they can make alot of goodies for the MAX.

Peace