General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Maximum Tuning VB mod -->

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 10:59 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Maximum Tuning VB mod -->

I need to share this with everyone that wants to do a valve body recalibration.

First off, let me say that Jeff and Matt at Maximum Tuning are great. They are awesome people to deal with.

If you already don't know, I have been having problems with Don Cooper's (MobileTek) valve body. The 1-2 shift took about 2-3 seconds to engage at wide open throttle. And the 2-3 shift was nice ever since day one. So, since I was getting nowhere dealing with Don, I had to seek out other means of getting this problem fixed. And I'm sure glad I found Maximum Tuning. They have been dealing with Maxima transmissions for over 10 years now. They really know their stuff.

Well, after I talk to Matt (the tranny tech), he tells me to send in my VB for repair and he will test it out and repair it. So the next week, I sent it in for repair. And during the whole repair process, I was kept up to date on what was happening with my VB. It's so easy to get a hold of these guys too.

After they repaired the VB, they installed it in one of their Maximas and tested it out. Sure enough, it works great, so they shipped it out. I recieved the VB the next day (11/8/02) and immediately installed it in my car.

Matt told me to give him a call to let him know how it goes. He told me to get in my car while he's on the phone and let him hear the shifts. So, I give it WOT in both shifts and I was so excited. MY 1-2 SHIFT WORKS LIKE IT SHOULD FOR THE FIRST TIME.

So basically, they got rid of what Don did and repaired some stuff that Don missed in the VB. And they cut me a VERY good deal on the price. The price will remain undisclosed.

I just want to say, thank you Jeff and Matt for helping me out. You put a very good impression on your company.

For anybody thinking about doing the valve body recalibration on your Maxima, do not hesitate to give Jeff a call at the shop. They do awesome work and have great customer service.

Maximum Tuning
Glen Cove, NY
(516)676-8470
Old 11-09-2002, 09:37 AM

makes me wish i went out there when I was in NY
Old 11-09-2002, 10:09 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by gtr_rider
makes me wish i went out there when I was in NY
Well, I live in NC and everything was easy to take care of.
Old 11-09-2002, 04:53 PM

I'm glad your auto is finally shifting right Aaron, and way to go on letting everyone know about how good the service is at Maximum Tuning. A lot of times people thank the person they did business with, but to really thank them it's always great to spread those kind words to others and possibly help their business in the future.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:49 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by pezking4
I'm glad your auto is finally shifting right Aaron, and way to go on letting everyone know about how good the service is at Maximum Tuning. A lot of times people thank the person they did business with, but to really thank them it's always great to spread those kind words to others and possibly help their business in the future.
Oh, there's no doubt about it... Maximum Tuning is the best when it comes to Maxima transmissions. They know what they are doing.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:22 PM

What do they charge for a VB mod?

Do they do installs also?

Might have to stop by next visit to NY!
Old 11-10-2002, 08:57 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by theMax
What do they charge for a VB mod?

Do they do installs also?

Might have to stop by next visit to NY!
I know the regular price that they publish is $375. Yes, they do installs. Just give them a call and an appointment can easily be made. Some people say, they bring their car in and in less than 2 hours, your car is ready. Then, you will have one awesome mod.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How big of a headache is it to remove the vb in the first place?
Old 11-11-2002, 04:11 PM

im plannin to make a trip out to jeff during my thanksgiving break at the end of the month
Old 11-11-2002, 06:32 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by SG01MaxSE
How big of a headache is it to remove the vb in the first place?
Well first off, you're asking a guy that has done this countless amount of times. I have gotten pretty good at it and it's easy.

But, I remember the first time I tackled this job and it went really slow b/c I didn't know some of the little tips I know today. And plus, since I wasn't sure of what I was doing, I was glued to my FSM the whole time and was extra careful. It took me about 2 to 2.5 hours to remove my VB the very first time. And this is a long time to do this job. Now, it takes me an hour and 15 minutes to remove it. And I was still taking my time.

All you do is drain the fluid, remove the pan, unplug the harness, unbolt and remove the VB. For your first time, it's good to have a helping hand. Directions are on the www.mobiletek.net website. Don was nice enough to write it up for his customers.
Old 11-12-2002, 01:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hmmm... this just might be my next mod.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:00 PM

Re: Maximum Tuning VB mod -->

I completely agree with Aaron92SE. I drove all the way to NY (16 hours each way, I live in Milwaukee, WI) just to meet with these guys and their job is excellent. Talking about high expectations met with great service.

My hats are off for Matt and Jeff. I am hoping they could get a bigger/shinier place in the next couple of years.

The 1-2 shift is hard on WOT, but as long as I keep it under 1700 rpm with light throttle, the shift is not hard at all. Exactly what I want.

Originally posted by Aaron92SE

First off, let me say that Jeff and Matt at Maximum Tuning are great. They are awesome people to deal with.

(trimmed)

For anybody thinking about doing the valve body recalibration on your Maxima, do not hesitate to give Jeff a call at the shop. They do awesome work and have great customer service.

Maximum Tuning
Glen Cove, NY
(516)676-8470 [/B]
Old 11-14-2002, 06:30 PM

I'm glad everyone is happy. Matt takes great pride in his work and is very upset if one of our customers isn't happy. We're currently working on a website to make more info available. thanks again guys
Old 11-14-2002, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by maximus75
I'm glad everyone is happy. Matt takes great pride in his work and is very upset if one of our customers isn't happy. We're currently working on a website to make more info available. thanks again guys
Hi, Jeff did you forget my VB(2000 Maxima with core swap)?

just checking

Tim
Old 11-15-2002, 04:05 AM
GoldenGlory

Originally posted by maximus75
bro we keep ur work alive around here....

ill be in the shop this tues 11.19 to finish up my work

Jeff My VB mod is sick bro ...

lol

the car just goes ....

asides from that ... to everyone who drives an auto ..

Jeff and Matt's Work Is Untouchable !!!!

When I HAd my VB MOD done..matt spoke to me for a good 3 hours
while he did another install and mine ...

he knows wha he is doin ...

great work

then after share a beer with jeff !

Old 11-15-2002, 08:46 AM

Jeff does a great job and is WELL worth the timw and $$ to drive out to him. I live in CT, he installed my V2 supercharger and I wouldnt have it any other way or let anyone else touch my car. I got Don's VB because Jeff was not doing VB's when I got mine but I would have.

Thumbs up to him and his shop

***** <- - - - 5 stars

Jay from CT
Old 11-15-2002, 09:08 AM

jeff is definately the greatest guy who ive ever let touch my car..the first thing i did with him was my suspension install, and he was done is an hour, and was talking to me the whole time too...he will let u hang around and ask as many questions as u want, i love going over to shop and just hanging out with him, i go to him now for just about everything done to my car that i cant do myself, i dont bother with other mechanics
I definately have to say the VB mod from them is my favorite mod by far, jeff and matt definately gave me all the info i needed before hand..i got it during the GD price, and then me and will(goldenglory) whored up the org boasting about how great it was
Old 11-15-2002, 12:25 PM
GoldenGlory

Originally posted by NyC97Max
jeff is definately the greatest guy who ive ever let touch my car..the first thing i did with him was my suspension install, and he was done is an hour, and was talking to me the whole time too...he will let u hang around and ask as many questions as u want, i love going over to shop and just hanging out with him, i go to him now for just about everything done to my car that i cant do myself, i dont bother with other mechanics
I definately have to say the VB mod from them is my favorite mod by far, jeff and matt definately gave me all the info i needed before hand..i got it during the GD price, and then me and will(goldenglory) whored up the org boasting about how great it was

Old 11-15-2002, 01:19 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by GoldenGlory

Then, I jumped on the bandwagon.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:53 PM
Maximaniac

Jeff's a great guy. He installed my budget y-pipe for me today and he'll also be doing my 5-speed conversion in the near future.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by NyC97Max
I live in Nebraska, and have a 2k1ae. I sent in my vb and I just gotit back today and I am a believer. I love it. It didn't even need a break in period. It shifts great. Jeff was awesome, it was a great experience. I recommend Maximum Tuning for VB tuning
Old 11-16-2002, 01:24 AM
GoldenGlory

Originally posted by erbaha

I live in Nebraska, and have a 2k1ae. I sent in my vb and I just gotit back today and I am a believer. I love it. It didn't even need a break in period. It shifts great. Jeff was awesome, it was a great experience. I recommend Maximum Tuning for VB tuning
Your Welcome !

Old 11-16-2002, 04:05 AM

i wish i could do it.. ehy aaron, does it help out the 3rd gen in terms of performane,, i dont want to spend too much money on a max that is slow.. o well..

Aside from that Jeff is an excellent guy. He lets you look under the cars.. and tells you exactly whats wrong.. you cannot compare the prices that he gives for us org members. I took a stack of cards from his desk and i hand then to any person i know who owns a maxima.

I hope that jeff gets enough money to get a bigger bay, that way we all can park inside..J/K.

But Jeff my man, you are the best when it comes to maxima's
Old 11-16-2002, 11:23 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by crazy4maxima
i wish i could do it.. ehy aaron, does it help out the 3rd gen in terms of performane,, i dont want to spend too much money on a max that is slow.. o well..
Performance wise, it's the best mod I have done to my Maxima, BY FAR. But, since I have only run my car at the track once since I got it, I can not quote exactly how much it shaved off my time. Since the track was more slippery than the street, during my 1-2 shift, the tires would break lose so bad that I would have torque steer. All I have to do is get on a decent track and I am certain that it will yield better track times. Well, I did beat my previous record by 2 tenths and I know the VB had a little to do with it. But, remember I was losing traction when 2nd gear engaged just b/c it was a soap box out there. But on the street, it barks 2nd gear half the time. My tires grip pretty good on the street. I absolutely love how my VB makes the shifts so much faster.

If you are concerned about track times ONLY, then IMHO Intake and Y-pipe might be your best bet, first. But after you do that, if you're still looking for better performance and harder shifts, then definitely get Maximum Tuning's valve body recalibration. If you have any questions about track experiences or the VB itself, just email me or shoot me an AIM IM.