General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Post your VI issues (for my records)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 08:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Post your VI issues (for my records/Repository)

I'd like to keep track of these issues in this thread so I can keep a listing of the fixes.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:24 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

dont buy from a guy in Bahrain posing to be your friend.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

1. vacuum leak. ...and quite a large one. came from not torquing the front manifold bolts down to spec. car was sputtering/misfiring badly.

2. harlan programming difficulty. caused by my lack of reading the instructions carefully... you need to hold programming buttons down for at least 2 sec or until the LED's flash or your settings won't take.

3. Harlan rpm input. could not feed two harlans off the TAM screw in the guage cluster. The tach needle would die.

4. vacuum canister deformation. initially placed the plastic NAPA canister under the cover... NOT GOOD! too hot under there.

The VI has been going strong for a few months now, completely problem free. ...now if only the JWT ECU would get here before the new year!
Old 11-17-2002, 03:32 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

No issues to report right now except for the fact that I'm ultimately no quicker or faster at track even though my dyno shows I'm making a crap load more power after 5500rpms

The only issue I had was with running the relay with the RPM switch. It won't work. No relay = perfect running VI

Dave
Old 11-17-2002, 07:01 PM

1. Make sure you replace the EGR gasket with a new one.

2. I had a bad vacuum leak due to number one.

3. Corrected leak with new gasket and no issues to date. VI running smoothly for about two months now.

4. BTW, get someone to help especially if they have installed a VI....will shorten the install time tremendously...

D
Old 11-17-2002, 07:34 PM

1. I have the relay wired - works fine...

2. EGR Gasket - Have to agree with that one - When you order a new one, make sure the dealer doesn't accidentally give you one for an Altima.

3. RPM Switch - Make sure you set it on "coil per cylinder", NOT "6 cylinders"

4. Don't drop the cap off your RPM switch inside the engine when the manifold is off.

IanS
Old 11-17-2002, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
No issues to report right now except for the fact that I'm ultimately no quicker or faster at track even though my dyno shows I'm making a crap load more power after 5500rpms

The only issue I had was with running the relay with the RPM switch. It won't work. No relay = perfect running VI

Dave
Makes no sense. More power should equal faster times. I'm in the same boat.

On the other hand, I am running a relay and it's been working flawlessly for the last couple months.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:40 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by BSwithTF

Makes no sense. More power should equal faster times. I'm in the same boat.

On the other hand, I am running a relay and it's been working flawlessly for the last couple months.
Travis-

I just don't get it at all. I ran today and was getting 14.70-14.81@95.5-96.5mph over the span of 5 runs with 2.25-2.41 60 foots. I say big freaking deal because I was running these kind ETs and MPHs back in April of this year WITHOUT the VI. I thought for sure the VI would give me +3mph and drop .3 in 1/4 mile. This just doesn't seem to be the case and the same goes for everyone else who seems to be running the VIM now. Even Nealoc really didn't show a huge improvement in ET/MPH (without the slicks).

I'm just beside myself and I'm really considering on getting rid of this car now.

Dave
Old 11-17-2002, 08:43 PM

Strange...I gained .4 seconds with the exact same 60' time with the VI.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:31 AM

Travis-

I just don't get it at all. I ran today and was getting 14.70-14.81@95.5-96.5mph over the span of 5 runs with 2.25-2.41 60 foots. I say big freaking deal because I was running these kind ETs and MPHs back in April of this year WITHOUT the VI. I thought for sure the VI would give me +3mph and drop .3 in 1/4 mile. This just doesn't seem to be the case and the same goes for everyone else who seems to be running the VIM now. Even Nealoc really didn't show a huge improvement in ET/MPH (without the slicks).

I'm just beside myself and I'm really considering on getting rid of this car now.

Dave
You should do a run with the VI off and then a run with the VI on. That way we can see the difference, if there is one. I had about a .4 differnce when my VI wouldn't work compared to when it did work (back in the summer heat).
Old 11-18-2002, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by iansw
1. I have the relay wired - works fine...

2. EGR Gasket - Have to agree with that one - When you order a new one, make sure the dealer doesn't accidentally give you one for an Altima.

3. RPM Switch - Make sure you set it on "coil per cylinder", NOT "6 cylinders"

4. Don't drop the cap off your RPM switch inside the engine when the manifold is off.

IanS
Hay Ian do you have a part # for the NAPA vacuum canister? Your site does not work and NAPA is clueless. Thanks
Old 11-18-2002, 08:26 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Last weekend I tried shifting at my old shift points prior the VIM and I was .3 and 3mph slower. I went from 14.8s@95 to 15.1s@92mph which was right in line with what Trevor was running in his 96 SE 5 speed, ACT, Y/I/E, USIM.

I should also point out that Trevor was running 14.8s@93mph before he got the y-pipe. With the Y-pipe, he made 178fwhp/190fwtq which is pretty healthy for a 96 SE 5speed with I/B-pipe/muffler/Y. Now he can only get low 15s@90-91. Maybe something is screwed with the track.

How long does MO/KAN stay open?

Dave
Old 11-18-2002, 08:35 AM

How long does MO/KAN stay open?

Dave
Test & Tune every Sunday thru December 8th. Opens at noon, racing 1-5 pm. Want to have a meet down here?
Old 11-18-2002, 09:12 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

I had 2 vaccum leaks. Replaced TB/EGR gaskets.. problem solved

My VI would only operate sometimes, mostly in 1st and 2nd. ( found On the dyno ) Traced to bad NAPA canniater check valve. Put another check valve in line with it.. works 5.0 ( verified on dyno )

BTW I am using a relay
Old 11-18-2002, 09:23 AM
SLOW

Harlan switch wigged out two or three times in the first week, has worked flawlessly since.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:26 PM

For the people with autos:

Did you experience any loss before the kickover?
Old 11-18-2002, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by deezo

Nope. But I do AT the cutover - this appears to be caused by turbulence, and only lasts about .1 second.

http://www.cyberhub.net/dyno/Dyno101902.jpg

IanS
Old 11-18-2002, 02:46 PM

I have not noticed a loss in power. It pulls hard to redline. I have my switch set at 5200 and it seems to be working well.

D
Old 11-18-2002, 03:49 PM

Im installing everything except the vaccum canister today this evening. The canister should come in tommarow and ill just plug that thing in and see if it works. Hope it does, Ill be back here cause I know Ill probobly run into problems. Thanks for the info and help.

Oh, Vacuum Canister NAPA part #730-1607 for whoever needed that.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:00 PM
I'm needing a caw

Dave. Ian mentioned a descrepancy in the rpm reading. So if you wanted the vi to kick in @ 5,000 rpms, you actually had to set the Harlan to 5200 or 5400 rpms. If you didn't, there will be a powerloss. This was tested by Ian on the dyno. He set the switch at different rpms and saw a power loss unless it was set at the correct rpm. This might be why your 1/4 times are lower but hp is up? Maybe your engine can't "catch-up" in time for a 1/4 run.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:37 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

I am confused what you mean by loss before the kick over?

For example, I make about 3-5 less FT lbs TQ before the switchover and about 2-4 less HP before the switch over point.. so in that instance yes I do have power loss

and if you ment losing power at the switch over point... for example, like Ians, I dyno tuned mine.. I had it set at 4800 and there was a large dip in power when it changed over.. then I set it to 5200 an it was seamless x-over
Old 11-18-2002, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by bags533

I am confused what you mean by loss before the kick over?

For example, I make about 3-5 less FT lbs TQ before the switchover and about 2-4 less HP before the switch over point.. so in that instance yes I do have power loss

I have now done 27 Dyno Runs with the VI. 15% of the time, the switchover is seamless, the rest it is not - I've tried settings from 3800 all the way to 5800.

5000 RPM showed the least amount of consistant loss for that .1 second of any other setting.

But I'm sure there is a loss no matter what - sometimes you just hit it perfectly and it doesn't drop - most of the time it does.

I'm sticking with 5000.

Jeff- the 5200 run was one of those flukes - after doing a few more runs, I realize that 5000 is better.

The loss is minimal, and literally lasts 100RPM, which is nothing, especially between 1st and 2nd Gear.

IanS

and if you ment losing power at the switch over point... for example, like Ians, I dyno tuned mine.. I had it set at 4800 and there was a large dip in power when it changed over.. then I set it to 5200 an it was seamless x-over
Old 11-18-2002, 05:03 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by iansw
I have now done 27 Dyno Runs with the VI. 15% of the time, the switchover is seamless, the rest it is not - I've tried settings from 3800 all the way to 5800.

5000 RPM showed the least amount of consistant loss for that .1 second of any other setting.

But I'm sure there is a loss no matter what - sometimes you just hit it perfectly and it doesn't drop - most of the time it does.

I'm sticking with 5000.

Jeff- the 5200 run was one of those flukes - after doing a few more runs, I realize that 5000 is better.

The loss is minimal, and literally lasts 100RPM, which is nothing, especially between 1st and 2nd Gear.

IanS

Ian, I was slightly confused with what deezo was asking

I am VERY clear on your setting of the VI and why

I found 5200 for me to be the best rpm
Old 11-18-2002, 07:45 PM

my car takes a bit longer to start up. I havent dont the vaccum actuator system yet, could that be the problem? And my car shakes from idle to about 2k rpm.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:56 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by darksands
my car takes a bit longer to start up. I havent dont the vaccum actuator system yet, could that be the problem? And my car shakes from idle to about 2k rpm.

what did you hook up?

what did you not hook up?
Old 11-18-2002, 08:09 PM

I just installed the manifold without the vaccum actuator system.Ill the hoses and plugs are pluged in.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:25 PM

Not having the vacuum won't cause that.

Get a vacuum gauge. Your manifold probably has a vacuum leak.

IanS
Old 11-18-2002, 08:31 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

I just installed the manifold without the vaccum actuator system.Ill the hoses and plugs are pluged in.
Ian is correct... did you use NEW gaskets for the TB/EGR/ICV?

did you torque the manifold down? is the gasket pinched anywhere?
Old 11-18-2002, 08:31 PM

I used new gaskets. I tightend everything. Ill tighten it some more, maybe that will help. I hope I dont break anything.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:35 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

I used new gaskets. I tightend everything. Ill tighten it some more, maybe that will help. I hope I dont break anything.
hey now.. I said TORQUE... not grab and yank as hard as you can...lol
Old 11-19-2002, 12:09 AM

Gasket is correctly in place, Torque is a a few pounds tighter than specified. Its still rattles and takes longer to start then usual. I have NO idea where this leak is if I have one. oh, another question. What happens if you just have the butterfly panels open all the time?
Old 11-19-2002, 04:18 AM

Gasket is correctly in place, Torque is a a few pounds tighter than specified. Its still rattles and takes longer to start then usual. I have NO idea where this leak is if I have one. oh, another question. What happens if you just have the butterfly panels open all the time?
Do a vacuum test. You can pick up a testing kit for less than 20 bucks. It definitely sounds like you have a leak, beleive me I know.

I got a piece of 1/2 inch rubber hose about three foot long and I used it to listen for a leak.

When you start your car, pop the hood and listen for a hissing noise.

After you test for vacuum, if you get a reading lower than say 17 -- 20, you defintiely have a leak. Depending on the reading, you can tell whatr type of leak you have.

Search for a post I started regarding shaky idle after install. Dave B or Briguymax posted some really useful info which helped me to troubleshoot.
Dave
Old 11-19-2002, 05:27 AM

Originally posted by bags533

Ian, I was slightly confused with what deezo was asking

I am VERY clear on your setting of the VI and why

I found 5200 for me to be the best rpm
Don't fret. You answered my question with the first answer you gave me.

My question is about HP loss throughout the powerband until you get to the switchover point.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:44 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Don't fret. You answered my question with the first answer you gave me.

My question is about HP loss throughout the powerband until you get to the switchover point.

I never fret..lol..
Old 11-19-2002, 06:36 AM

Im installing everything except the vaccum canister today this evening. The canister should come in tommarow and ill just plug that thing in and see if it works. Hope it does, Ill be back here cause I know Ill probobly run into problems. Thanks for the info and help.

Oh, Vacuum Canister NAPA part #730-1607 for whoever needed that.
OH thank you so much!!
Old 11-19-2002, 10:01 AM

Where did you guys tap into to get your RPM inputs? Just trying to find out where is the easiest place.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:59 AM

Where did you guys tap into to get your RPM inputs? Just trying to find out where is the easiest place.
I go off of the front driver's side coil.

Some people go off the tach behind the gauge cluster. Some go off the ECU.

The coil is the easiest to get to - the ECU probably looks best, since you don't have the RPM Switch under your hood necessarily. But then again, that makes it hard to get to.

IanS
Old 11-19-2002, 03:25 PM

Re: Post your VI issues (for my records/Repository)

My only problem to date was with the intial installation. I used non-pressurized hoses for the vacuum lines to save money and they all collapsed from suction. But atleast I knew I had everything hooked up properly.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:05 AM

well, It seems like everything works, theres suction through the tubes, theres no leaks that I could tell. The Actuator arms stays still. could it be the wires Im using? Im using copper wire. It comes down to, can anyone in so. cal help me with wiring the vaacum actuator system? Ive heard that the actuator sometimes doesnt work unless the car is in gear, Ive also heard that the sometimes it only works when its not in gear. Anyone from So. Cal can take a look and tell me whats wrong cause I cant tell. It would be much much appreciated.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:07 PM

bump

Quick Reply: Post your VI issues (for my records)