General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: What would you pay for a quality short throw shifter?
$0 to $40
14.81%
$40 to $80
40.74%
$80 to $120
40.74%
$120 to $160
0%
$160 to $200
3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

How much would you pay for a short throw shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 05:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How much would you pay for a short throw shifter?

Since I have a 3rd, 4th, and 5th gen Maxima in my driveway, I'm thinking about prototyping a Short Throw Shifter. I would like to know what your realistic price range is for a quality short throw shifter?
Thanx
Jae
Old 11-17-2002, 05:50 PM

Good question I am about to buy one, since my car is all apart.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:21 AM

Ok, I got the thumbs up from the company that's gonna make the shifters. The company is All Wheel Engineering, LLC based in San Diego (the company is better known as KartBoy) http://www.karboy.com
They make quality products for racing conditions, specializing in Subaru's and Mazda's. They regularly race their project cars in auto-x, road courses, and rally.
This should give you an idea of the quality of their shifter:
http://www.allwheelengineering.com/b...ss=KB-001-1997 I had the pleasure of prototyping the Altima shifters and will be prototyping the Maxima shifters as well. Their shifters usually sell for ~$100, which's a steal for the quality you get. I'm very happy with the performance of their shifter for my gf's altima...shifts are very short now, yet the shifter doesn't look stubby (end result was a shaft ~1.25" shorter and the lower portion 1.25" longer). KartBoy listened to my critique of the initial shifter and I had him make the throws even shorter and shifter angled a few degrees back, so you can rest your elbow on the center console (remember, this's for a 1st gen Altima)

I'm am confident that the custom made Maxima short throw shifters will be high quality, durable, fashionable, and give excellent performance, just like the Stillen shifter, but at a fraction of the price.

Please post if you're interested in a quality shifter in the ~$100 range made specifically for your generation Maxima (not some OBX one that fits all sentras, altimas, 200sx, 240sx, maximas, nx2000, g20, etc...ok, i'm exagerating)

Jae
Old 11-18-2002, 12:49 AM

shieat...if you could have one for a 2k2 6 speed..id pay 300...
Old 11-18-2002, 01:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

make sure the damn ball which it pivots with is small enough to fit into the existing assembly, unlike pacesetter's crap
Old 11-18-2002, 05:25 AM

Originally posted by ThurzNite
Ok, I got the thumbs up from the company that's gonna make the shifters. The company is All Wheel Engineering, LLC based in San Diego (the company is better known as KartBoy) http://www.karboy.com
They make quality products for racing conditions, specializing in Subaru's and Mazda's. They regularly race their project cars in auto-x, road courses, and rally.
This should give you an idea of the quality of their shifter:
http://www.allwheelengineering.com/b...ss=KB-001-1997 I had the pleasure of prototyping the Altima shifters and will be prototyping the Maxima shifters as well. Their shifters usually sell for ~$100, which's a steal for the quality you get. I'm very happy with the performance of their shifter for my gf's altima...shifts are very short now, yet the shifter doesn't look stubby (end result was a shaft ~1.25" shorter and the lower portion 1.25" longer). KartBoy listened to my critique of the initial shifter and I had him make the throws even shorter and shifter angled a few degrees back, so you can rest your elbow on the center console (remember, this's for a 1st gen Altima)

I'm am confident that the custom made Maxima short throw shifters will be high quality, durable, fashionable, and give excellent performance, just like the Stillen shifter, but at a fraction of the price.

Please post if you're interested in a quality shifter in the ~$100 range made specifically for your generation Maxima (not some OBX one that fits all sentras, altimas, 200sx, 240sx, maximas, nx2000, g20, etc...ok, i'm exagerating)

Jae
I have the Pacesetter (I think it is made by OBX), is that why it sits so far forward, because it is not made specifically for our cars?

$100 is a little steep since I already have one but I would really like a shifter that sits in the middle like it's supposed to. The one in the link sure does look sturdy though, I might be willing to pay $100 for that. Is this one going to be adjustable? I think a lot of guys here want extreamly short throws but personally I just want to reduce the throws to what they should have been stock for a sporty sedan.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:42 AM

chinaonnitrous1, do you know the part # of your shifter? I can run a check to see if it's the same AS 00-01. Or even better, I will have one made for my 2k (cuz I already have a Stillen) and then send it to you for test fitment, how's that sound?

Yeah, most of the shifters availble for Nissans sit too far forward because they are basically shortening the upper part and lengthening the lower part. KartBoy initially did the same for my Altima, but I let him know that it should be angled rearward a few degrees. His 1st runs were just completed and are being test fitted and so far, no complaints.

No, they won't be adjustable. I don't think that will be a problem cuz Stillen's $200 sts isn't adjustable and many people still buy it. Besides, I personally don't want it adjustable cuz I think it would be weaker in design, leading to premature failure.

Any of you interested in poly urethane bushings for $15?

Jae
Old 11-18-2002, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by spiff56747
make sure the damn ball which it pivots with is small enough to fit into the existing assembly, unlike pacesetter's crap
Huh? I installed a Pacesetter STS and the ball was a perfect fit. Did they sell some with the wrong size ball?
Old 11-18-2002, 06:56 AM

No, they won't be adjustable. I don't think that will be a problem cuz Stillen's $200 sts isn't adjustable and many people still buy it. Besides, I personally don't want it adjustable cuz I think it would be weaker in design, leading to premature failure.

Jae
Well if the throw and height meet my needs (and it sits in the middle of the cutout) and it as good as you say I will consider it. I would like to see some pics of it next to the stock shifter and know how much it reduced the hight and throw before I spent $100 on it.

One reason I didn't get the Courtesy or stillen shifter was because I did want it to sit a little lower than stock. The Stillen does replace some of the shift linkage which accounts for some of the higher price. I had no problems with the ball fitting on the Pacesetter.

Are the bushings for the shifter? What benifit do they give?
Old 11-18-2002, 10:07 AM

Re: How much would you pay for a short throw shifter?

Since I have a 3rd, 4th, and 5th gen Maxima in my driveway, I'm thinking about prototyping a Short Throw Shifter. I would like to know what your realistic price range is for a quality short throw shifter?
Thanx
Jae
Hey Jae, I'm fairly interested in it.
Mind letting me test out the prototype when you get it installed?
Old 11-18-2002, 10:23 AM
aka UNCDooD

i would pay $68 to be exact. wait i already did.

and my pacesetter fits perfectly.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:42 AM

chinaonnitrous1, do you know the part # of your shifter? I can run a check to see if it's the same AS 00-01. Or even better, I will have one made for my 2k (cuz I already have a Stillen) and then send it to you for test fitment, how's that sound?

Yeah, most of the shifters availble for Nissans sit too far forward because they are basically shortening the upper part and lengthening the lower part. KartBoy initially did the same for my Altima, but I let him know that it should be angled rearward a few degrees. His 1st runs were just completed and are being test fitted and so far, no complaints.

Jae

Hehehe...The 2k2 6 speed shifter is cable actuated...so it wont really work unless someone lookd at a S2000 shifter and mebby modified it.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:46 AM
!OG SNES OG!

I'd be interested!!

And would happily do the Canadian 4th Gen testing

I would also pay around 85-110$ for a STS.

Let us 4th Genners know

Mike
Old 11-19-2002, 01:05 AM

I will need to see what the 2k2 looks like next to a 2k-2k1.
La Jolla Max, sure, you and anybody can play with my 4th gen...probably the same w/the 3rd gen...not so sure about the 5th, but I'll definitely be objective about it.
The bushings will give a more positive feel. It's like driving clutch w/shoes vs w/o shoes...you get better feel w/o shoes. It may also make the lever travel smoother if your old ones are worn (like my altima).
If you want the shift lever to be lower, remember that you will need more force to row the stick. Are you willing to do that? W/the Altima shifter, we were balancing performance w/looks and the combo's great.
Jae
Old 11-19-2002, 01:22 PM

I'd be in for around $100 if it included the bushings Jae. If you need any help on the testing let me know. I've had my shifter out 3 times already.....

Oh yeah, hit me up on ICQ/AIM, there are a few pointers I might be able to give you.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:52 AM

If you want the shift lever to be lower, remember that you will need more force to row the stick. Are you willing to do that? W/the Altima shifter, we were balancing performance w/looks and the combo's great.
Jae
I am not talking a lot lower, just an inch or so like you said they did with the Alti. I guess I could ust get a shift **** that sits lower but that's more $$$ and I kind of like my stock one.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:41 PM

Bump...

Any update? Is this going to be made?