General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anyone else miss the downshift smoothness of the stock shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 08:12 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Anyone else miss the downshift smoothness of the stock shifter?

I love the overall feel of the Pacesetter STS. It's got that "rifle bolt" action and great upshift feel, but downshifting in 2nd and 3rd gear is not remotely close to what it was like with the stock shifter. It is nearly impossible for me to grab a quick downshift from 3-2 or 4-2 without appyling a good bit of force to the shifter. I constantly have to pull the shifter down and attempt to grab the downshift, if it resists, I back out, then try again. True rev-matching seems to help a little. I'm just surprised at the amount of resistance I've got my shifter seeing my shifter is set at 50%. The other Pacesetters I've shifted with feel the same way. BTW, I don't have a cat heatshield so that's not the problem.

I'm seriously considering putting my cut stock shifter back in so I can gain back quick downshifts. Quick upshifts are fun, but so are quick downshifts especially when coming up to quick turns. Anyone else feel the same way.

Dave
Old 11-20-2002, 08:17 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

... now i am sure the STS is not for me
I still have occasional troubles with the downshift on the stock shifter.. sometimes even with proper rev matching... i haven't noticed a trend yet in terms of speed or rpms on when it's easy and when it's not.. it doesn't bother me much though..
Old 11-20-2002, 08:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
... now i am sure the STS is not for me
I still have occasional troubles with the downshift on the stock shifter.. sometimes even with proper rev matching... i haven't noticed a trend yet in terms of speed or rpms on when it's easy and when it's not.. it doesn't bother me much though..
it seems as though hacking a couple of inches off the shifter is the better the way to go from what i have read.. all the STS are just crap for the max.. notchy and noisy.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:27 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally posted by thebigsadler

it seems as though hacking a couple of inches off the shifter is the better the way to go from what i have read.. all the STS are just crap for the max.. notchy and noisy.
That is what I did. Cut a about 1-3/4" off. I have never driven a Max w/ a STS so I can't give a accurate comparison, but I don't have any problems with down shifts.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:39 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by I30tMikeD

That is what I did. Cut a about 1-3/4" off. I have never driven a Max w/ a STS so I can't give a accurate comparison, but I don't have any problems with down shifts.
I've had both setups. My stock shifter was cut ~1.5". This did shorten the throws substainally with little or no affect on smoothness or nocthiness. A cut stock shifter still has that slightly rubbery feel, though not near as bad as stock. The STS on the other hand, feels very solid, and literally clicks into the next gear with authority. The downside is increase vibration thru the shifter due to a harder internal bushing and lack of the exterior O-ring bushings. Due to the postion of the shift ball, the STS also introduces an unwillingness to downshift, especially going into 2nd gear.

I think I'm going to swap back to stock tonight and see how I like it.

Dave
Old 11-20-2002, 08:43 AM

I would consider chopping the stock shifter to make it shorter.

Companies to make new shifters that are either shorter in length, shorter in throw (same hight as stock shifter). Consider what you want and then decide.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:55 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

What about running the STS at full height. You'll get closer to stock throws, but still have the precise action. This might help the downshifting issue
Old 11-20-2002, 08:57 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally posted by Dave B

I've had both setups. My stock shifter was cut ~1.5". This did shorten the throws substainally with little or no affect on smoothness or nocthiness. A cut stock shifter still has that slightly rubbery feel, though not near as bad as stock. The STS on the other hand, feels very solid, and literally clicks into the next gear with authority. The downside is increase vibration thru the shifter due to a harder internal bushing and lack of the exterior O-ring bushings. Due to the postion of the shift ball, the STS also introduces an unwillingness to downshift, especially going into 2nd gear.

I think I'm going to swap back to stock tonight and see how I like it.

Dave
Giving up a smooth down shifts seems like a bad trade off. I hope to dirve a Max with a STS so I can know for myself. It's been hard for me to resist a $70 mod, there have just been too many posts like yours that makes me hesitant.

BTW, the door bell just rang and my Budget Y-pipe was sitting on my porch!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!
Old 11-20-2002, 09:08 AM

Well I am going to install my STS this weekend. I hope I like it.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the throw on my SMC sts is not particularly short and after a few drives from NJ to RI and back again...it has loosened up a lot! The redline must really be helping. Downshifts are a breeze and chirping/peeling out when i slide it into second is tooo easy.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:19 AM

Ya the only gear i seem to have trouble with is that dame 3rd gear... finding it sometimes is a Bi###. but ive grown used to it.. I actually put my stock sifter back in for a week and decided to go back to the sts.. there is definatly a big differance. but again my stock shifter was not cut..

Has anyone cut there STS at all, let me know how you like it, cus im thinking of doing that.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:34 AM
ejj

Ugh.

I had a SMC STS in my old max. Actcually, its still in there (my mothers now). When I drive it I want a STS so bad again! I just helped my brother install one in his 200sx, and again, I want one bad!

I have the stock shifter (stock height too), and it flat out sucks. I feel like I'm driving a truck.

Yeah, down****ing requires a bit more effort, but I feel that its more than worth it for the feel that you get.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:14 AM

I drove an STSed Max and I liked the shorters throws, but I did not like the feel, so much grainier. So, I decided against it. For any of you guys still with the stock shifter and need a shorter throw,

before you cut the shifter

before you install an STS

try this;

http://www.rspeed.net/miata/item.asp...0&prod=531-103

It's an afetrmarket shift **** for a Mazda Miata. $40. The threading is identical to ours. I put on on my car and the throws got surprisingly shorter, and the crinkle black looks great. It won't make the throws as short as an STS, but it'll help. And you still feel the relative smoothness of the stock one.

DW
Old 11-20-2002, 10:21 AM
I'm so hood

For the most part I like the shift action in my max, stock.

If anything, I'd put a **** on it where the thread came all the way through to the top for a solid feel, like a miata **** (dwapeni beat me to it). The main thing I don't like is the feel of shifting a tall **** where the lever doesn't come up to where my hand is. Feels a little 'disconnected'.

Quick upshifting when mashing through a gear or two at high engine speeds is cake. Downshifting is also a breeze. When I'm not mashing, I really don't ram the shifter into gears...just easy shifts.
The only problems I run into is sometimes on 1-2 and rarely on 2-3, it'll get caught in between neutral and gear a bit, and if I'm not careful with my feet, I'll let the clutch out when it's still caught up. But that doesn't happen often at all.

I never really saw a need for a STS. It'd be cool to drive one to feel it I guess.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:46 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by dwapenyi

It's an afetrmarket shift **** for a Mazda Miata. $40. The threading is identical to ours. I put on on my car and the throws got surprisingly shorter, and the crinkle black looks great. It won't make the throws as short as an STS, but it'll help. And you still feel the relative smoothness of the stock one.

DW
I recently ordered one because of the reviews I found in the search on the sola luna shift ****. After driving a neighbor's Viper, holding onto my shifter feels like I'm grabbing on to the shift rod itself.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:50 AM

Re: Anyone else miss the downshift smoothness of the stock shifter?

I installed a Pacesetter STS when I did my transmission conversion, so I have never driven my car with a manual transmission and stock shifter. I have driven other 5-speed Maximas with the stock shifter and I have noticed the difference in feel, especially the reluctant 4-3 downshift and the general shifting stiffness and notchiness. I was wondering if I had made a mistake by not replacing the synchronizers when I rebuilt the transmission (visually, they looked perfect), so I'm relieved to hear its a shifter problem and not my transmission. I really prefer the short throw (I have mine adjusted for shortest possible throw - gotta start somewhere) but after reading this I think I'll adjust upwards to the other extreme and see how things change.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:32 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'll see how I feel about tonight when I install the cut stock shifter. You may be seeing my STS in the For Sale section soon.

The downshifting just bugs me. While on my lunch break, I took my car out on the highway and tried some quick 4-3 downshifts. The only way I can get a quick shift is by pushing in the clutch, floor the gas, and downshift. It works perfectly everytime. Otherwise, the shifter resists and takes a few seconds to put into gear. I absolutely hate the idea of ramming my shifter into gear because it resists. I flat out won't do it. If it resists, I try again. The amount of time it takes get a good downshift takes away from the driving experience. The resistance and the amount of time it takes to grab the downshift is so bad sometimes that I don't even downshift to beat a light, etc.

As for raising the STS, I've done that and it does help somewhat. But what you get is a mostly stock feeling stock shifter and all the vibration the STS gives you. I'd rather have the stocker in that case.

Some guys like a harsh and loud ride and don't care much about vibrations and general harshness or harder than usual shifting. I use to be one of those guys. Now I'm on a quest to quiet and smooth out my Maxima.....but still keep it fast.

Dave
Old 11-20-2002, 12:23 PM

I have an SMC STS and I don't notice ANY problem downshifting. I really like the increased feel, unlike the stock shifter which is loose and realitively numb. I think my STS is also more precise, and gears are more defined. I hardly EVER miss an unshift or a downshift with the STS. I used to miss them all the time with the stock shifter.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:17 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Isn't the SMC STS the same thing as the Pacesetter? If so, I wonder why the guys with the SMC STS don't have problems downshifting. I know my car isn't the only one that resists downshifting because I've driven and felt other Maximas with the Pacesetter STS and they all feel like mine.

Dave
Old 11-20-2002, 01:40 PM

I actually think they are different. The SMC IIRC has external o-ring bushings.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:53 PM
Sin

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I actually think they are different. The SMC IIRC has external o-ring bushings.
External o-ring bushing? What the heck is that? I have an SMC, I'm looking at mine right now, and I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:19 PM
ejj

Isn't the SMC STS the same thing as the Pacesetter? If so, I wonder why the guys with the SMC STS don't have problems downshifting. I know my car isn't the only one that resists downshifting because I've driven and felt other Maximas with the Pacesetter STS and they all feel like mine.

Dave
I had a SMC on my 97, and I just installed a Pacesetter on my brothers 200sx.

The dust boot for them appears to be different, but other than that I couldn't tell one from the other.

The both drive the same (as far as I can tell...they are on different cars).
Old 11-20-2002, 08:36 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Well, I reinstalled my stock cut shifter. I think I prefer the feel. No mroe rifle bolt action feel, but I can grab downshifts a lot easier. Overall it feels a bit softer. Another thing I like is that pivot point is moved back so that all the shifts have moved back closer to myself (ie 1st isn't as far up and 2nd is farther back).

Dave
Old 11-20-2002, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I have an SMC STS and I don't notice ANY problem downshifting. I really like the increased feel, unlike the stock shifter which is loose and realitively numb. I think my STS is also more precise, and gears are more defined. I hardly EVER miss an unshift or a downshift with the STS. I used to miss them all the time with the stock shifter.
i agree. i put in amsoil tranny fluid and the downshifts are smooth like the upshifts. i missed the 2-3 shift a few times with the stock shifter...now its automatic. i sat in a max with the stock shifter and i dont think i could ever go back.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by Requin6

i agree. i put in amsoil tranny fluid and the downshifts are smooth like the upshifts. i missed the 2-3 shift a few times with the stock shifter...now its automatic. i sat in a max with the stock shifter and i dont think i could ever go back.
Paul,

do I need to pick up some Amsoil tranny fluid?
Old 11-21-2002, 08:48 AM

Another thing I like is that pivot point is moved back so that all the shifts have moved back closer to myself (ie 1st isn't as far up and 2nd is farther back).

Dave
That is the thing I hate the most qbout my STS. I was thinking of taking it out and trying to bend it more so it was in the middle of the shift cutout like it is supposed to be. My downshifts are a litte worse but not that bad. I don't think I hate it enogh to go back to stock though. Somebody is having a higher quality shifter made for us, it's being prototyped now, maybe it will work better - http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=167015

If you cut the shifter do you have to buy a certain type of shift ****? Or do you leave enogh threads to screw one on?
Old 11-21-2002, 09:39 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Anachronism

That is the thing I hate the most qbout my STS. I was thinking of taking it out and trying to bend it more so it was in the middle of the shift cutout like it is supposed to be. My downshifts are a litte worse but not that bad. I don't think I hate it enogh to go back to stock though. Somebody is having a higher quality shifter made for us, it's being prototyped now, maybe it will work better - http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=167015

If you cut the shifter do you have to buy a certain type of shift ****? Or do you leave enogh threads to screw one on?
The cut shifter doesn't feel remotely as sloppy as stock, but it doesn't feel as good as the STS. I like being able to rest my elbow on the armrest with my hand within easy reach of the shifter.

I'm running a MOMO shift **** right now so threading isn't an issue. If I want to go back to the stock ****, a little bit of silicone glue should hold the stock **** in place quite well.

Dave
Old 11-21-2002, 11:34 AM

I put in a RVMracing STS and after loosing the main bolt driving down the road, I replaced with a longer bolt and lithium greased the hell out of it. Works perfect, no complaints here and it's only $50.00.(Make sure to tighten all bolts before test drive, I lost the bolt about three miles from the shop I was working @ and drove it back in 2nd the whole way)Check your work and use a lot of LUBE. LUBE is good!!!
Old 11-21-2002, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by ssilva420
Ya the only gear i seem to have trouble with is that dame 3rd gear... finding it sometimes is a Bi###. but ive grown used to it.. I actually put my stock sifter back in for a week and decided to go back to the sts.. there is definatly a big differance. but again my stock shifter was not cut..

Has anyone cut there STS at all, let me know how you like it, cus im thinking of doing that.
I used to have this problem but finally figured out the solution.

I'll bet that if you pay attention to the angle at which you shift into 3rd gear from 2nd, you'll find that you are pushing the shifter up at an angle to the right.

If you shift straight forward, you'll have no problem. To make sure I shift forward, I grab my shifter with my knuckles pointed forward so that my entire arm pushes forward.

I used to miss 3rd frequently and when I installed the STS, I could hardly shift into 3rd. No problems now.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by 420MAX
I put in a RVMracing STS and after loosing the main bolt driving down the road, I replaced with a longer bolt and lithium greased the hell out of it. Works perfect, no complaints here and it's only $50.00.(Make sure to tighten all bolts before test drive, I lost the bolt about three miles from the shop I was working @ and drove it back in 2nd the whole way)Check your work and use a lot of LUBE. LUBE is good!!!
Does this shifter sit father forward than stock like the pacesetter does? Is it adjustable?
Old 11-21-2002, 02:16 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I have the SMC STS and it's a bish just like Dave B is describing.

I have it adjusted so the top of the ball covers the top thread. You could go the radius of the ball shorter, but I didn't. Right now, anytime I shift into 1st/3rd/5th, the shift rod underneath the boot HITS on the console and rests against the console. I believe that's why I've been hearing a buzzing sound while accelerating. The vibration through the shifter is rattling the console. I will be adjusting mine over T-day weekend to see if it makes it any better.

If not, I've heard a couple good reviews about the B&M non-adjustable STS. Looks like it's quality and it's not as low as my SMC, since it doesn't require messing with the heat shield.

Is it POSSIBLE to adjust the ball withOUT uninstalling it completely? It's been awhile, since I installed it.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:22 PM

Does this shifter sit father forward than stock like the pacesetter does? Is it adjustable?
Sits right about the same as a stock shifter. Cuts throw about in half and is not adjustable. Well worth the $$$. It is firm but I don't miss gears. Just lube the hell out of it w/ install and you'll be very happy. Feels a whole lot better then the DC STS for my Accord(Wife's car).
Old 11-21-2002, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by 420MAX
Sits right about the same as a stock shifter. Cuts throw about in half and is not adjustable. Well worth the $$$. It is firm but I don't miss gears. Just lube the hell out of it w/ install and you'll be very happy. Feels a whole lot better then the DC STS for my Accord(Wife's car).
How about the height compared to stock? This is starting to sound tempting, I am not looking for a radically short throw or extreamly low shifter.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:39 PM

How about the height compared to stock? This is starting to sound tempting, I am not looking for a radically short throw or extreamly low shifter.
It might sit about an inch shoter then stock but you can't really notice. For $50.00 you can't really go wrong. If you don't like it then E-bay it.Worth the $$$ and the hassle.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:48 PM
aka UNCDooD

Re: Anyone else miss the downshift smoothness of the stock shifter?

I love the overall feel of the Pacesetter STS. It's got that "rifle bolt" action and great upshift feel, but downshifting in 2nd and 3rd gear is not remotely close to what it was like with the stock shifter. It is nearly impossible for me to grab a quick downshift from 3-2 or 4-2 without appyling a good bit of force to the shifter. I constantly have to pull the shifter down and attempt to grab the downshift, if it resists, I back out, then try again. True rev-matching seems to help a little. I'm just surprised at the amount of resistance I've got my shifter seeing my shifter is set at 50%. The other Pacesetters I've shifted with feel the same way. BTW, I don't have a cat heatshield so that's not the problem.

I'm seriously considering putting my cut stock shifter back in so I can gain back quick downshifts. Quick upshifts are fun, but so are quick downshifts especially when coming up to quick turns. Anyone else feel the same way.

Dave

might Pacesetter STS is set at the lowest setting and I've had 0 problems with it, it just need to be broken in. Now all downshifts and upshifts are as smooth as before when I had the stock shifter.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:06 PM

There's always the B&M and the Stillen STS's. I'm very happy with the Stillen. Amazingly the 2-3 upshift is the easiest and smoothest! I'm not kidding! Downshifts are no prob either other than the 4-3, which is at times a problem. But other than this it's been great.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I drove an STSed Max and I liked the shorters throws, but I did not like the feel, so much grainier. So, I decided against it. For any of you guys still with the stock shifter and need a shorter throw,

before you cut the shifter

before you install an STS

try this;

How did you break loose your stock shift ****? I tried unscrewing mine yesterday and nearly sprained my wrist trying to get it off. If our Maximas are threaded the same as Miatas that opens up the line of Voodoo shift *****. They have some sweet solid billet aluminum and even titanium shift *****. Had one on my 90 Miata and absolutely loved it. Like the one you mention it lowered the height a bit and really changed the feel of the stock shifter. Thanks for any help removing the stock shifter without ruining it.
DW
Old 12-03-2002, 01:12 PM
Sin

I totally agree. The Sola Luna shift ***** are awesome. Two Maxima guys in my area love it for the feel, but would still prefer the shifter itself to be lower. This **** does lower the shifter by about 1-2" by being secured so much lower than the stock shift ****.

Also, due to the billet aluminum and the internal securing adapter, there is a much more solid and connected feel. This is what I really like about the shift ****. I feel as if feeling the shift gate and the inner workings of the transmisison are much more communicative over the more rubbery stock shift ****.

Definetly, this **** is no replacement for a short shifter, however it does slightly lower the shifter, and gives a much more connected and communicative feel.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:03 PM

2 words, VICE GRIPS You have to twist very hard even with the vice grips, then all of a sudden, the shifter breaks loose from this chemical bonding. Real easy after that.

If you want to keep your stock shift **** in good condition, wrap a cloth around the **** before the vice. I tried that, but the grips couldn't get a good enough grip, so I just trashed the OEM shift ****.

DW

Originally posted by jpgayan
How did you break loose your stock shift ****? I tried unscrewing mine yesterday and nearly sprained my wrist trying to get it off. If our Maximas are threaded the same as Miatas that opens up the line of Voodoo shift *****. They have some sweet solid billet aluminum and even titanium shift *****. Had one on my 90 Miata and absolutely loved it. Like the one you mention it lowered the height a bit and really changed the feel of the stock shifter. Thanks for any help removing the stock shifter without ruining it.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:10 PM
Sin

2 words, VICE GRIPS You have to twist very hard even with the vice grips, then all of a sudden, the shifter breaks loose from this chemical bonding. Real easy after that.

If you want to keep your stock shift **** in good condition, wrap a cloth around the **** before the vice. I tried that, but the grips couldn't get a good enough grip, so I just trashed the OEM shift ****.

DW

I found an awesome way of removing them. I use a nylon oil filter strap that is essentially a nylon strap with both ends secured to a square pipe that has a 1/2" inner diameter, to be used with a 1/2" drive ratchet or cheater bar. It took it off like it was nothing, and didn't leave a scratch on the shift ****.

Quick Reply: Anyone else miss the downshift smoothness of the stock shifter?