General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Seconds thoughts about selling my max(don't say we told you so)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 05:07 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Seconds thoughts about selling my max(don't say we told you so)

I'm torn on what to do, i'm unhappy with my car sometimes and other times it's awesome. I've made it clear i'm unhappy with the service i get on the vehicle, but i have SOOO much time/money/effort/blood/sweat/tears tied up in my max it's gonna hurt to see her go. The new carbon fiber hood, the TEIN coilovers, and the Turbo kit me and ethan are thinking about, or even maybe the S/C kit are very tempting items. I have the 3rd gear grind going on, i know SEVERAL other members have this and most got new trannies, SOO.. i'm gonna try for that and if the service manager won't do it then it will probably but the nail in the coffin on my car, if not i might keep it, i just don't know what to do. Between the car's depreciation and the money i'll lose on the mods it's well over 10K and i'd really like to not do that right now.

P.S. Any guys that got their tranny replaced cus of a grinding gear could you contact me so i can get a copy of the paperwork this way when they say, "we've never heard of this before" i can be like well it happened to him him him him and him.

thanks guys, i'll look forward to your thoughts.
Old 11-29-2002, 05:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Seriously, I say keep the car. You will spend less money making it faster than buying a new car. I think if you focused more on refining the car, you'd be happy. Get the turbo and upgrade your tranny to a level 10.

Don't get caught up in the "I want a Bimmer/CL-S/300ZX" stuff because the Max isn't a true luxo/sports car.
Old 11-29-2002, 06:01 AM
Blu
the tits

I told you so . I would ask ethan what they did about his 3rd gear grinding. I believe its just a bad syncro. Keep the car make is faster save a few grand and still have all you mods listed above just go with JIC's
Old 11-29-2002, 08:17 AM

Go ahead blow your foot off and get rid of it!
Old 11-29-2002, 08:20 AM

You should of sold it the first time we talked about this and the S4.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:49 AM

Re: Seconds thoughts about selling my max(don't say we told you so)

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2
but i have SOOO much time/money/effort/blood/sweat/tears tied up in my max it's gonna hurt to see her go.
that pretty much sums it up, you should keep her. I think you may have taken a hit $$$-wise, but if you get another car, it only doubles that hit. I think the key is you put some $ into the car, now you need to extract some value by driving and keeping it. my .02. good luck!
Old 11-29-2002, 08:59 AM

I knew you loved us to much to leave Steve.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:03 AM

Keep it.

SuDZ
Old 11-29-2002, 10:29 AM
xarfox

you should keep it AND buy a new car

thats what im gonna do

30 years from now you'll be that old guy that has a "classic maxima"

everyone will want to give you millions of dollars for it, except for me, cuz ill still have my max

Old 11-29-2002, 11:03 AM

ya ethan you were right i do love you guys too much and it's all your fault, grrrr. lol

i'm gonna get the TEIN coilovers, i can get them mad cheap from optauto.com and the VIS hood i can get cheap too direct from VIS.

and if i keep it i should be in a good enought position in 6-9 months to maybe get something a little older as a project car, but i still don't know what i'm gonna do, like i said if i don't get a new tranny the car is gone. That's what is ridiculous about nissan service they will lie to you and make everything you fault and i have to go out and get documentation from other people and bring it with me and fight just to get a warrantied part fixed, again unacceptable but i'm just gonna give up on nissan and fix everything my self, sigh. even if i do end up keeping her i know i will never buy another new nissan again.
Old 11-29-2002, 12:42 PM

Love/Hate

I think all true auto enthusiasts have a love/hate relationship with their cars...I know I do. You really can't look at moding your car as any sort of an investment. You do it because you enjoy it as a hobby of sorts and as an automotive enthusiast trying to get all the performance from your chosen platform that is possible. The only cars you may make money on are high $$$ customs like old street ros, but for any newer cars, forget it....it's a "labor of love".

That's my take on it...
Old 11-29-2002, 02:04 PM

I really hope you stay with us. The Max really is a great car for the money and in my experience, service at most dealerships suck regardless of the make. Some of the higher end makes of cars may have better service but you pay through the nose for it.

With the new mods coming out for the 2k2 and 2k3 Max (hopefully some made by you) it's just starting to get good for us.
Old 11-29-2002, 02:08 PM
Administrator

thats like saying i want to leave my wife for a new young chick.. and you still beat on her and you expect your wife to look and perform beautiful as she did when you first met her..

honestly i am down about my car smoetimes.. but its my own fault.. so how can i really get mad?
Old 11-29-2002, 03:16 PM
Custom User Title...

hey steve,
have you tried jrnissan? the guy ken i talked to seems really cool and nice and willing to help us out as best as he can. i'm not sure if that's the dealer you've been going to but try him. not too far from you either i think. keep the max! get an older car later like you said for real speed as a project. your car is awesome so enjoy it for as long as possible.
Old 11-29-2002, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by Jepht20
hey steve,
have you tried jrnissan? the guy ken i talked to seems really cool and nice and willing to help us out as best as he can. i'm not sure if that's the dealer you've been going to but try him. not too far from you either i think. keep the max! get an older car later like you said for real speed as a project. your car is awesome so enjoy it for as long as possible.
ya that's where i usually go, ken is mad kewl and one of my good friends is a salesman there too so he tried to check up on work i'm having done but everyone there i've talked to says that Tony the service manager is a Major @$$hole. and i can confirm that, they are the worst dealer i've TRIED to get service from.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:35 PM

just do another mod and youll love the car again works for me
Old 11-29-2002, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
thats like saying i want to leave my wife for a new young chick.. and you still beat on her and you expect your wife to look and perform beautiful as she did when you first met her..

honestly i am down about my car smoetimes.. but its my own fault.. so how can i really get mad?

exactly, very well said Sprintmax...thrash a car...expect problems....even problems dealers frowm upon covering...