General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

question about trunk...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 08:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

question about trunk...

Hi, I have a '94 Maxima GLE, and I have this nasty problem with the trunk. It keeps trying to open, as if someone kept pushing the inside trunk release button. The button doesn't seem to do anything though (broken?) and the trunk doesn't actually get released, the level on the bottom moves without it actually opening the trunk. Anyways, I'm tired of it, and wanted to turn it off. I tried flipping the switch right by the lever (on the bottom side where the top hitches to) to turn it off (I thought that might work) but it didn't seem to do anything.

I want to disconnect the fuse, but I looked in the fuse box (under the left side of the wheel) and didn't see any that looked to be related to the trunk. I also looked in by the engine to see if I could find anything... none of those fuses looked promising either (A/C, anti-lock brakes, fog lamps, etc etc)

What I was wondering is two things... one, does anyone know if there is actually a fuse for this stupid trunk release? Secondly, if I just cut the one wire that leads to the latch, will this mess anything else up? Right now, since the trunk keeps trying to open, it drains my battery and I have to keep jump starting it. It's really a pain in the butt!

TiA!
Old 11-30-2002, 09:05 PM

Trunk release is a cable
Old 11-30-2002, 09:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

it might be a cable...

but why would it keep doing it again and again? Isn't there some sort of electronic trunk release? Because you would have to actuate that cable over and over to duplicate what I'm talkinga bout. I can see the latch actually continue to pull over and over... and it drains the battery? <shrug>
Old 11-30-2002, 09:59 PM

have you made sure if the switch isn't stuck or sticking to anything?, just a suggestion, good luck

anu
Old 11-30-2002, 10:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I don't...

Originally posted by patel_anu
have you made sure if the switch isn't stuck or sticking to anything?, just a suggestion, good luck

anu
think so.... but anyways, why would a cable drain my battery? <shrug> And it would have to KEEP pulling on the hitch... so it has to be electric, right? I mean, if it's a cable, then you would have to keep pulling on it to make it work... so someone would have to keep pushing the button. Even if it was stuck, it wouldn't keep hitching and unhitching, unless it was electronic.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:13 PM

yeah, thats true, its a electrical problem. I'm not good with that kinda stuff, sorry, good luck man

anu
Old 11-30-2002, 10:54 PM

Just cut the wire. Shouldn't create a problem, and if it does, you can always just reattach it.

I know you looked for a fuse and didn't find one, but there has to be one somewhere??

good luck!
Old 12-02-2002, 09:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I guess...

I could just cut the wire, but I'm concerned with the idea of it continuing to pulse. I'll put e-tape on the end of the wire, but it still bothers me to have this stupid live wire that is pulsing every 3 seconds... potential fire hazard?
Old 12-02-2002, 11:12 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Re: I guess...

Originally posted by numbaonestunna
I could just cut the wire, but I'm concerned with the idea of it continuing to pulse. I'll put e-tape on the end of the wire, but it still bothers me to have this stupid live wire that is pulsing every 3 seconds... potential fire hazard?
Ahh... just buy a 4th Gen! Problem solved!!!!

Naaa just wrap the wire real good....

Old 12-02-2002, 12:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: question about trunk...

Hi, I have a '94 Maxima GLE
No you don't....

FYI, the models in '94 were GXE and SE. The GLE was added for '95.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yuip...

you're right now, GLE, it's a GXE.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:13 PM

Re: I guess...

Either wrap it real good or just cut the ground.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hmm...

I guess that's what I gotta do. Thanks for the advice... so nobody knows about a fuse I can pull, huh? =)
Old 12-03-2002, 07:30 AM
STFU n00b!

If you indeed have a '94, then this stuff will apply.. don't know how the system is on a '95+....

First, why don't you try to trace down the problem before you start cutting wires.. sounds like the wire to the trunk release button is grounding to the frame somewhere.

have you installed anything or done any work on the interior of the car lately? the wiring for the trunk release runs from the driver's door, under the dash, then down the driver's side kick panel, along the door sill to the rear of the car. when it gets back there, it goes around the left side of the trunk to the release solenoid.

my first suggestion is to pull the driver's door panel off and disconnect the wiring from the button. see if the problem still occurs. if so, then you've got a short somewhere, and it's time to start hunting.