General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Stillen vs. Cattman

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2001, 09:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Stillen vs. Cattman

which y-pipe is better?
i know that Cattman pipes are made out of stainless-steel where as Stillen pipes are not.
but i wanted to hear from people who currently have Stillen pipes(or Cattman pipes) about any kind of problems associated with the Stillen pipe(i.e. rust).

and as far as the installation goes....is this pretty much a simple bolt-on process? or do i need to take my car to a shop and let a professional do it for me? any comments?

anywayz....happy new year guys and let's have more maxima meetings this year!!!

-peace
Old 01-01-2001, 09:13 AM

well, here's the deal. If you live in an area that gets snow the stillen pipe WILL rust. The steel just will not hold up to all the snow, salt, and moisture. Most likely this will take a few years though so maybe to you it's worth it, I don't know. Here in NY I would only go stainless steel myself.

About the installation, if you're comfortable working under your car and doing a lot of things yourself you shouldn't have a problem as the install seems pretty straight forward. If you do decide to take it to a shop you might have a little trouble finding someone to do it for you as most shops seem to not want to touch it because it's an illegal pipe.

Hope that helped a little, I'm sure someone will add a whole lot more and give you a different opinion.

Chris
Old 01-01-2001, 09:17 AM

hehe....thanks a bunch CKNY

Originally posted by CKNY
well, here's the deal. If you live in an area that gets snow the stillen pipe WILL rust. The steel just will not hold up to all the snow, salt, and moisture. Most likely this will take a few years though so maybe to you it's worth it, I don't know. Here in NY I would only go stainless steel myself.

About the installation, if you're comfortable working under your car and doing a lot of things yourself you shouldn't have a problem as the install seems pretty straight forward. If you do decide to take it to a shop you might have a little trouble finding someone to do it for you as most shops seem to not want to touch it because it's an illegal pipe.

Hope that helped a little, I'm sure someone will add a whole lot more and give you a different opinion.

Chris
well, the thing is...i live in sunny california.
and i just happened to live 10 minutes from Stillen too...i think i'm going to get the Stillen pipe unless someone else has a different opinion about this...

-peace
Old 01-01-2001, 09:23 AM

I would probably get the stillen one then. =)

Good Luck,
Chris
Old 01-01-2001, 10:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are you going to install the Y-pipe yourself . . .

Originally posted by irvine78
and i just happened to live 10 minutes from Stillen too...i think i'm going to get the Stillen pipe unless someone else has a different opinion about this...
[/I]
or are you going to have it installed for you, irvine78? If you have it installed, who's going to do the work for you?

[Edited by y2kse on 01-01-2001 at 12:14 PM]
Old 01-01-2001, 12:37 PM

Re: Are you going to install the Y-pipe yourself . . .

Originally posted by y2kse
or are you going to have it installed for you, irvine78? If you have it installed, who's going to do the work for you?

[Edited by y2kse on 01-01-2001 at 12:14 PM] [/I]
well....i have a friend from this forum. he lives in irvine too. so i'll probably ask him to help me with the Y-pipe. or i'm going to take my car to Primier in La Habra, CA....
Old 01-01-2001, 12:45 PM

Re: Re: Are you going to install the Y-pipe yourself . . .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by irvine78
well....i have a friend from this forum. he lives in irvine too. so i'll probably ask him to help me with the Y-pipe. or i'm going to take my car to Primier in La Habra, CA....
I assume you're talking about Premier Autoworks on Lambert. Have they installed a Y-pipe on a Maxima before? How much do they charge?
Old 01-01-2001, 12:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Are you going to install the Y-pipe yourself . . .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by y2kse
I assume you're talking about Premier Autoworks on Lambert. Have they installed a Y-pipe on a Maxima before? How much do they charge?
Lambert? uh...actually....i don't know if it is in Lambert. my friend goes there often so i asked him about the shop. as far as shop's experience, they are working on cams for my friend's max(99 se-L)..and my friend said that they'll charge me like $50 for the install....which i don't think is bad at all...

-peace
Old 01-01-2001, 12:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Are you going to install the Y-pipe yourself . . .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by irvine78
Lambert? uh...actually....i don't know if it is in Lambert. my friend goes there often so i asked him about the shop. as far as shop's experience, they are working on cams for my friend's max(99 se-L)..and my friend said that they'll charge me like $50 for the install....which i don't think is bad at all...
You're right. $50.00 isn't bad at all. By the way, I think I found Premier's web site. Check out:

http://www.premierautoworks.com/
Old 01-01-2001, 01:06 PM

YUP...THAT'S IT!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by y2kse
You're right. $50.00 isn't bad at all. By the way, I think I found Premier's web site. Check out:

http://www.premierautoworks.com/
by the way, isn't 2.5 inch piping a bit too large for NA maxima? no?
Old 01-01-2001, 01:13 PM

Re: YUP...THAT'S IT!!

It works well for me, particularly at higher rpms. But I've read a couple of posts that indicate you may be better off with 2.25" if you're installing a y-pipe. The 2.25" will give you a quieter exhaust and may improve scavenging.
Old 01-01-2001, 01:17 PM

2.25?

Originally posted by y2kse

It works well for me, particularly at higher rpms. But I've read a couple of posts that indicate you may be better off with 2.25" if you're installing a y-pipe.
hmmm....i wonder even 2.25" are ok for NA cars.
i was thinking about 2" piping for my exhaust(if i get one soon enough!!).
but i guess since we have 6 cylinder engines instead of honda 4 banger....maybe larger piping's still ok.
how do you like the sound? is it loud all the time or only at WOT?
and what kind of exhaust do you have?

-peace
Old 01-01-2001, 01:26 PM

Re: 2.25?

Originally posted by irvine78 hmmm....
i wonder even 2.25" are ok for NA cars. i was thinking about 2" piping for my exhaust(if i get one soon enough!!). but i guess since we have 6 cylinder engines instead of honda 4 banger....maybe larger piping's still ok. how do you like the sound? is it loud all the time or only at WOT? and what kind of exhaust do you have?
I don't think I'd go with less than 2.25". That's the diameter used throughout most of the stock piping.

My exhaust runs through a 24" Magnaflow straight-through muffler. The sound is deep and powerful . . . not at all farty. It drones a little between 2000 and 2500 rpm, but it's practically silent at cruising speeds (~3000 rpm). All in all, I'm real happy with it.

[Edited by y2kse on 01-01-2001 at 05:41 PM]
Old 01-01-2001, 01:37 PM

Re: Re: 2.25?

I love my cattman pipe!
Old 01-01-2001, 02:23 PM

Hahaha!!!!

Premier didn't have a website last time I checked. And yes, it is the one on Lambert. They have installed a Y-pipe on 1 Maxima before (not mine) and they will do it again. When I talked to Kennedy (owner), he said labor will probably be less than $50. Well, hope you're happy with your Y-pipe Irvine78. Lemme know when you get it, I can either help you put it on or I'll go with you to the shop.