General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

SPEEDING TICKETS

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2001, 04:35 PM
steveyang

i just got a speeding ticket because I was passing a driver who couldnt keep his lane. wtF. Anyway, this assh**e police (state trooper) officer was having a bad day or something and tacked on a couple other tickets. Summonses, actually. There is no price on the ticket, so I guess I'll have to go to court to find out. My name is not on the insurance, only my parents' names are listed, so will my insurance increase? Is it worth fighting in court? Thanks in advance. Peace

Old 01-02-2001, 04:50 PM
JUGSMAX

Originally posted by steveyang
i just got a speeding ticket because I was passing a driver who couldnt keep his lane. wtF. Anyway, this assh**e police (state trooper) officer was having a bad day or something and tacked on a couple other tickets. Summonses, actually. There is no price on the ticket, so I guess I'll have to go to court to find out. My name is not on the insurance, only my parents' names are listed, so will my insurance increase? Is it worth fighting in court? Thanks in advance. Peace
I've had a few tickets in the pass...If the tickets were in my town or close by.I would go to court...tell the judge you were trying to get around someone cause someone was trying to pass you. Sound sincere,don't sound like you are lying...If the judge is in a good mood you might get a break...Don't hurt to try.But if he don't give you a break you might have to pay for the ticket and court cost($100)...So it's up to you...Good Luck let me know what happens.......JUGSMAX

Old 01-02-2001, 04:58 PM
steveyang

thanks for the reply .. i received 3 summonses. my friend just told me that he got off once because the trooper didn't show up. how often does that happen? will my insurance go up even though my name is not listed in the policy? thanks again. peace

Old 01-02-2001, 05:02 PM

Were you passing him on the right, or on the left? In a no passing zone, over a solid line, etc.???

If you were passing legally (consult drivers manual), then it's worth your while to fight it (trust me, your insurance WILL go up, unless you can get out of these tickets, especially if you get points!!!).., and any other tickets you may have..

When is your summons??

If it's not for a while, definitely go.. best case scenario, is the cop doesn't show up, and everything is dropped.. Second best scenario, is that you can nail the cop on a few details... ask him about the EXACT conditions of the stop (you will remember much better than he does).. ie the make and model of your car, and the car you were passing, road conditions, surrounding traffic, weather, significant features nearby, etc.... Don't let the cop read any statement from the back of the ticket (it's common practice to note details on the back of his copy), but you can object on grounds of independant recollection (the cop has to testify against you, not a piece of paper).. If you can discredit his testimony, chances are good that the case may be dropped, or you may possibly be allowed to bargain... If all looks grim, plea for driver training (this is mostly for speeding offenders, but still, if it prevents you from getting points!!!)

Pay ANY amount they want, as long as you don't get points!!! Insurance will crucify you!!!... especially if your a young driver!! You weren't listed on insurance??? Tsk Tsk...

Most importantly, DON'T ADMIT TO ANYTHING... why?? you don't have to !!! NO ONE can force you to testify against yourself!!! (see constitution).. Once you concede anything, it's over... Be sincere, but ambiguous... (ie.. Not to the best of my knowledge, or "I do not recall" may even be appropriate in some circumstances)

-Tom

Ps.. there are many tutorials out on the internet about getting out of speeding tickets in court... study those tutorials!!!! Much of the stuff in there WILL APPLY!!!

Originally p0osted by steveyang
Old 01-02-2001, 05:02 PM
JUGSMAX

Originally posted by steveyang
thanks for the reply .. i received 3 summonses. my friend just told me that he got off once because the trooper didn't show up. how often does that happen? will my insurance go up even though my name is not listed in the policy? thanks again. peace
My best friends dad runs an allstate agency...And he told me that insurance agenys are not checking with Dept of motor veh...anymore for tickets..Its is to costly and time consuming...So if you don't tell.I don't think they will find out....They haven't found out about mine....Unless you change insurance companys...

Old 01-02-2001, 06:12 PM
steveyang

well, i passed on the left, on a three lane highway, I have to admit that I did it hastily and without signalling, but I checked my blindspot, mirrors, etc, to see if it was safe. Just bad timing I guess. Its on the 22nd, so I'll go and see what happens. Thanks a lot for the helpful info Tom and Jugsmax. Greatly appreciated.

Old 01-02-2001, 07:47 PM

Only been driving for 2 years...12 points allowed until you get your license removed...I have 8....not good...4 of those go away next year...Damn my stupid right foot..
Old 01-02-2001, 07:59 PM

Depending on where you live, some form of driver training may help... i've had a friend here in NJ get some points taken off (of a speeding ticket), by taking a defensive driving course.. Not sure of the specifics, tho..

-Tom

No points for me... YET :-(
(except the ones that come stock with your drivers license)

Originally posted by FAST4EN
Only been driving for 2 years...12 points allowed until you get your license removed...I have 8....not good...4 of those go away next year...Damn my stupid right foot..
Old 01-02-2001, 09:48 PM

hehe. I got speeding ticket couple years back before i had my radar. I was going about 80-90 by the time cop follow behind my car. Speed limit was 70mph. I go $150 (i think) for going 85mph. I was so pissed & didn't even look at ticket. Next morning after i wake up I check the ticket to file it. Stupid cop wrote wrong date on it. hehe. So I went to court and told them ticket had wrong date on it, judge drop the ticket. Lucky I guess. By the way I live in WA, and there's no court fee as far as I know. Maybe they changed since I haven't got ticket since 98..
Old 01-03-2001, 06:29 AM

Only thing i'm not 100% clear on....

If it's a summons, don't you HAVE to show up in court?

Because, I know that if it's just a plain vanilla speeding ticket/parking ticket, etc, not showing up in court and just paying the fine is an automatic admission of guilt..

But since you say you don't even have a set fine, wouldn't you HAVE to go to court? (hence the term summons)

-Tom

Old 01-03-2001, 06:31 AM
steveyang

yes, I have to go. Guess I'll just plead not guilty and take it from there.

Old 01-03-2001, 07:28 AM

CHeck to see if yo9u can do this in your jurisdiction....Immediately ask for a jury trial. There is usually a 14-20 day window after you receive a citation to do this. It will help since the prosecutor will now have to waste his time and budget to go to trial. He will be more willing to plea bargain. I suggest you do this and then offer to pay the fines and plea to a non-moving violation. I do this for my clients all the time with a good success rate. Good luck but rememebr time is of the essence.
Old 01-03-2001, 08:05 AM

My brother...

is a state trooper...I haven't had a ticket in a while(thanks to him)...but then again I don't speed all the time either...just once in a while.
Old 01-03-2001, 08:17 AM

Usually at least in my instances when you go to court they usually give you a break somehow.. Sometimes you totally get off because the officer may not be there. What they want is your money, the could give a $%#$ about your insurance points.. They may charge you double the ticket but take away the points. Believe me this is a good idea. Pay now not for years.. Insurance companies suck and they are always looking for ways to screw you. Good Luck.. Act like a good kid>>
Old 01-03-2001, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by 98maxse
Act like a good kid>>
Ie.. remove any body piercings, cover tatoos, dress nicely, no blue hair, clean shave, etc... Believe it or not, studies have been conducted, that show our society has devloped a huge bias towards appearance.. If you look like you just stole a car stereo and peddled 5 kilos of crack cocaine to grammar school kids, they will probably treat you that way... Remember, "yes sir", or "no sir".... and try to use BOTH nouns AND verbs in your sentence ..
no ebonics either.. :-)

Good luck... let us know how it turns out..
-Tom

Old 01-03-2001, 10:29 AM
steveyang

thanks for the replies again. I'm jus hoping for the best possible situation, which is having the officer not show up at all. Of course, I'll take into account that appearance does matter and dress appropriately. And, yes sir, I will act like a good kid. LOL

Old 01-03-2001, 05:50 PM
pjalst

Always plead not gulty

If you plead not guilty, you will be given a court date to appear. When you appear on your court date, in order to try and speed things along in the crowded perspiration smelling courthouse, you will be offered a plea not to go to trial. The plea will usually be reduced to something with less points, a "non speed" violation( insurance companies get a woody when they see a speed on your record). The fine will still be stiff, but you want to avoid the high points. If you don't want the hassle of going to court, dig into your deep pockets and send an attorney. He will basicaly get the same deal unless he knows the Judge personaly, or you can plead guilty, mail the ticket in and the court will mail the fine back to you. If you do neither and sit on your @ss your License will be suspended. The Insurance won't go up if its under your parent's name. If you go to get Insuance in your name, the insurance company will review your driving record and if they see that**+SPEEDING+** light flashing, you'll be paying out the @ss.