General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Just found out that my y-pipe is broken across one of the welds

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 05:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just found out that my y-pipe is broken across one of the welds

The exhaust on my car has been getting really loud the last couple of days. It sounds like crap and keeps getting worse and worse. I finally had a chance to take it in today to get in on a lift and see what the problem was. I figured the flex section was shot again. Instead of it being that, it turns out that the pipe is cracked 3/4 across on one of the welds. It's right were the two pipes come together before the flex section. I'm sure I don't need to write about how upset I am being that this is the second time I've had a major problem with this pipe. I have had it for 2 years and have had the flex replaced once already, and I am way out of warrantee. So, the muffler shop says they will have to pull the pipe to weld it all the way across the crack and it will be $75. I'm beginning to think I should just get a whole new y-pipe from a different company. Anyone have an opinion on what they would do?? I'm not going to say which company I bought the pipe through, because when I posted about my flex going out a while back the company owner came on and bad mouthed me. But, I'm sure you can all figure it out. Now what do I do?!
Old 12-30-2002, 05:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Too bad you didn't live a little closer to Budget. I talked to Jeff a few times over the summer and he has already fixed a couple of those pipes for free just to help out a fellow y-pipe manufacturer (even though they don't know each other). He also said he would do the same in the future.

Gotta love that for customer service.
Old 12-30-2002, 05:42 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Move onto a different y-pipe. How many times does a y-pipe need a rebuild to stay functional? Who knows what else will break on you?

Get a Budget. Recent buyers are happy with theirs. I had a problem with my flex section being noisy (fixed) but at least I know the thick, ugly welds on my Budget y-pipe is strong and won't crack in a couple of years. And forget any sort of courtesy for that company. Grow some backbone and out that POS for all the new forum members.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:40 PM

Now, let's not go on a Warpspeed Trash-a-thon. I've had my issues with them as well... It took forever to get my exhaust, and it wasn't exactly as I had imagined it would be, but they have been there for a lot of people. They came in with good prices and good products when the only options were high dollar pieces from Stillen and Cattman that had bad flex sections and made funny sounds.

Just because Budget comes in and offers an insane buy on pipes, doesn't make everyone else evil. Every time WS has had a problem, they have eventually found a way to fix it.

They are a small operation that got overwhelmed with business (for a reason) and had growing pains. Could they have handled it better? Of course. But, referring to their products as POS and all is not fair.

WS offers a good product at a good price. Budget offers a good product at an astounding price. I guess that weak Canadian dollar has its advantages. If it weren't for Budget, everyone would still be singing the praises of WS.... just like they did when WS was the 'price leader' in the very recent past.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by n2oMike
Now, let's not go on a Warpspeed Trash-a-thon. I've had my issues with them as well... It took forever to get my exhaust, and it wasn't exactly as I had imagined it would be, but they have been there for a lot of people. They came in with good prices and good products when the only options were high dollar pieces from Stillen and Cattman that had bad flex sections and made funny sounds.

Just because Budget comes in and offers an insane buy on pipes, doesn't make everyone else evil. Every time WS has had a problem, they have eventually found a way to fix it.

They are a small operation that got overwhelmed with business (for a reason) and had growing pains. Could they have handled it better? Of course. But, referring to their products as POS and all is not fair.

WS offers a good product at a good price. Budget offers a good product at an astounding price. I guess that weak Canadian dollar has its advantages. If it weren't for Budget, everyone would still be singing the praises of WS.... just like they did when WS was the 'price leader' in the very recent past.
Where did I say ANYTHING about Warpspeed? Get a clue, because you obviously don't know what you are talking about. This is my experience with a particular pipe on my car. I never said where it was from.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:06 PM

He's not bashing WSP. He's got a Cattman pipe.

Old 12-30-2002, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by MAXINXS

Where did I say ANYTHING about Warpspeed? Get a clue, because you obviously don't know what you are talking about. This is my experience with a particular pipe on my car. I never said where it was from.
D*mn... We have a Drama Queen.

You don't mention a manufacturer, then get all ****y when someone fails to read your mind. WS and Budget are about all we've heard about lately. Sooorrrryyyy.... Geez!
Old 12-30-2002, 08:02 PM

D*mn... We have a Drama Queen.

You don't mention a manufacturer, then get all ****y when someone fails to read your mind. WS and Budget are about all we've heard about lately. Sooorrrryyyy.... Geez!
That's exactly it, I never mentioned the manufacturer. You assumed I was talking about that certain company. It's no big deal really. Oh, about the drama queen comment...
Old 12-30-2002, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by MAXINXS

That's exactly it, I never mentioned the manufacturer. You assumed I was talking about that certain company. It's no big deal really. Oh, about the drama queen comment...
Your a** sure does look awfully red. You might want to get that checked out there... queen

I wasn't even referring to you in the first place. It just looked like the thread was going to turn into a flame-fest.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just because Budget comes in and offers an insane buy on pipes, doesn't make everyone else evil.
Since you are talking about WS, they are the one who continue to bash the other companies as a way to get our business and they bash Budget bigtime. There pipes are $250 (Canadian) which turns into a good buy for us in the U.S. and just by talking to them on the phone should tell people why they should buy from them.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:42 AM
Administrator

its not the y pipe.. your motor mounts are shot..

mine was broken by the second header weld also.. i busted 1 warpspeed pipe... 1 cattman pipe.. and 1/2 way busted a stock y pipe when i realized its not the y pipes that are failling its my motor mounts that are busting them out..

kinda messed up because DanNY told me after i busted the warspeed pipe that my mounts were shot but i went along anyway and bought a cattman and busted that too..
Old 12-31-2002, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
its not the y pipe.. your motor mounts are shot..

mine was broken by the second header weld also.. i busted 1 warpspeed pipe... 1 cattman pipe.. and 1/2 way busted a stock y pipe when i realized its not the y pipes that are failling its my motor mounts that are busting them out..

kinda messed up because DanNY told me after i busted the warspeed pipe that my mounts were shot but i went along anyway and bought a cattman and busted that too..
That is very interesting.... I actually wouldn't be surprised if mine have been broken for quite awhile. I remember you mentioning before that my motor mounts were shot, when I was explaining about all the chatter I get when engaging first gear. I guess it's time to get them replaced. With almost 180,000 miles on the car, I'm sure they're original. Thanks.