General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Ok....when is a Maxima gonna try and compete/enter the SCC challenge?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 04:03 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Ok....when is a Maxima gonna try and compete/enter the SCC challenge?

Who Knows of the Sport Compact Car Challenge?

To make it short... 10 different cars have a multi-catagory competition to see who is the big dog. ALL modified cars. You send in an entry form, and the the readers od Sport Compact Car choose the 10 cars.

If I had the resources I would try and compete. And maybe someday I will.

But there are a few members, that I can think of, that I think could get into the final 10.

Do I think the maxima would win 1st? MAYBE

If you have zero idea of what I am talking you need to pick up SCC and read the latest edition.

I wont drop names, BUT again there are some max's that could get into the contest. Yes you would not have the most HP, but there are many catagories to compete in and the best overall finisher wins.

Maybe I am dreaming and maybe nobody has the resources or time. BUT if someone does and let's us know about it... WE would get you into the last 10.

And maybe we could do donations for the cause if they did win. Again.. I just think most of the tuner world would sh*t if they saw a maxima in the competition.

Flame on or toast on

BTW sx7r.. phat ride
Old 01-02-2003, 04:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think they are at least 3 that could compete. I dont think it would that hard to get into the competition. Just have a good writeup and enough mods that the readers will pick you.

I know its not that easy, but I agree with Baggs, who is gonna step up?
Old 01-02-2003, 04:47 PM

Re: Ok....when is a Maxima gonna try and compete/enter the SCC challenge?

Originally posted by bags533

To make it short... 10 different cars have a multi-catagory competition to see who is the big dog. ALL modified cars. You send in an entry form, and the the readers od Sport Compact Car choose the 10 cars.

If I had the resources I would try and compete. And maybe someday I will.

But there are a few members, that I can think of, that I think could get into the final 10.

Do I think the maxima would win 1st? MAYBE

If you have zero idea of what I am talking you need to pick up SCC and read the latest edition.

I wont drop names, BUT again there are some max's that could get into the contest. Yes you would not have the most HP, but there are many catagories to compete in and the best overall finisher wins.

Maybe I am dreaming and maybe nobody has the resources or time. BUT if someone does and let's us know about it... WE would get you into the last 10.

And maybe we could do donations for the cause if they did win. Again.. I just think most of the tuner world would sh*t if they saw a maxima in the competition.

Flame on or toast on
No matter how set you are for resources, you'd still want to apply them sensibly and effectively. imho the Maxima is at a severe disadvantage in the handling dept. So would you want to insist on entering a Maxima or would you drive what everyone else is driving and try to actually win? Having a superior car levels the playing field so that if you win, it's your actual skills that was the difference. If you spend $$$ and have a car that's not competitive nobody is gonna admire you for your loyalty or determination. People like to hang with winners, that's just the way it goes.

In a real competition the cars tend to be very similar make/model-wise, with the difference being the mods and the drivers and their crews. my .02
Old 01-02-2003, 06:27 PM

where is this taking place at? that might help the few on here make the decision.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:00 PM

I wouldn't really consider a Maxima a sporty compact car, its anything but compact. So going around corners, its not the greatest. I know you ripped everything out of it, it might hang if it was a couple hundred pounds lighter.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:10 PM

Handling isn't the whole competition though, you have other categories. Did you see that yellow integra in the magazine? I love that Honda!
Old 01-02-2003, 07:54 PM
Banned

i think it would be cool if someone entered but comeon.... i dont think anyone can compete with the skylines and supras they have in that
Old 01-02-2003, 08:20 PM

its out of its league

I'd have to say that with the comp that SCC brings there isn't anyway for a maxima to be very compeditive. Especially when you have modded viper, supra, mr2, skyline, ITR and other cars that can do the job easier and better.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:45 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

One big drawback. We are FWD.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:00 PM

Are you kiding me? Do you seriously think that the Maxima can compete with Shawn from Motorex's HKS GT3037 powered Skyline, or Mani's T66 powered Supra, or the driving ability of Mumfords and his Viper? Hahahahahahaha..
Old 01-03-2003, 06:59 AM

Re: Ok....when is a Maxima gonna try and compete/enter the SCC challenge?

Originally posted by bags533
I think that's the key word there...
Old 01-03-2003, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Maximamike
Are you kiding me? Do you seriously think that the Maxima can compete with Shawn from Motorex's HKS GT3037 powered Skyline, or Mani's T66 powered Supra, or the driving ability of Mumfords and his Viper? Hahahahahahaha..
i beat treynor in a race the other day
Old 01-03-2003, 07:55 AM

He said their is different catagories, maybe they would not put the Maxima in the same class. Maybe they put them in with the integras, hondas, IS300, and such...
Old 01-03-2003, 10:03 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

i think one of the competitions is the "how-does-grandma-like-it-test"

the max would be a shoe in
Old 01-03-2003, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
One big drawback. We are FWD.
so is that yellow integra in the finals.....
Old 01-03-2003, 10:40 AM

No way the Maxima would have a chance.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:40 AM
Administrator

http://168.144.147.224/uscc-2002.mpg
Old 01-03-2003, 03:21 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

that is why I posted the question.

There are some people here who HAVE beaten vette's and supra's. BUT it is not all about that.

And yes our nice family sedan is not the handling king, but with a good set up it is nice. On par with the other cars.. most likely not... but I think it would be fun to try.

And all cars in the same group. All car compete against each other.

And some of the cars are not compact either.. the skyline, supra, viper are about the same wheelbase as the maxima.

And this was just something I thought about while reading the article. Again the main point I would enter woulb be to have fun and see how well my car/I would do.

Win Lose or draw I think it would be a blast. And yeah you might place 10th.. BUT as least you got to the show and DID it instead of reading about it.. My 2 cents

BTW sprint link does not work correctly
Old 01-03-2003, 09:26 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The thing is though most of these Jerkys have the big bank account, but absolutely NO driving skill. Take this "Mani" guy with the Supra (video). A 12.62 out of a single turbo Supra? God help us. Put me in a Z06 and this guy is toast. The guy clearly misses a shift on the 1/4 mile (you can hear it). On the road coarse, this guy couldn't hit the apex if his life depended on it. It's my understanding that the owners are the drivers in this competition, correct?

Put one of our winning auto-X guys in a well tuned turbo 4th gen pushing 4psi in the road coarse and 7psi in 1/4 mile along with a full coil-over kit, full brake kit, along with shaved DOT racing tires and see what happens. I think a Maxima and DRIVER could be very competitive. The only guy I'd worry about is the Viper guy. All these other guys seem to have cars with motors that clearly can exceed the chassis along with thier lack of driving skill. Just like in Gran Turismo, a 950hp Supra is an ungodly mess when truely pushed in a road coarse. It's great in the straights, but it's a mess in the turns.

Dave
Old 01-03-2003, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
Take this "Mani" guy with the Supra (video). A 12.62 out of a single turbo Supra? God help us. Put me in a Z06 and this guy is toast. The guy clearly misses a shift on the 1/4 mile (you can hear it). On the road coarse, this guy couldn't hit the apex if his life depended on it. It's my understanding that the owners are the drivers in this competition, correct?
From what I've heard Mani's a pretty bad *** driver. Not to make excuses for him but from what he's posted on Supraforums he was extremely sick in the weeks leading up to and following the USCC or whatever its called..
Old 01-03-2003, 10:25 PM
SLOW

Me + turbo + race tires = a pretty good showing for the max? I've always wanted to enter that competition.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:21 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

From what I've heard Mani's a pretty bad *** driver. Not to make excuses for him but from what he's posted on Supraforums he was extremely sick in the weeks leading up to and following the USCC or whatever its called..
I don't know. Did you see the video of him on the road coarse? He was everywhere in the turn except the apex. Even the guys on the video noted he needed to be quicker.

Dave
Old 01-04-2003, 05:14 AM

I don't know. Did you see the video of him on the road coarse? He was everywhere in the turn except the apex. Even the guys on the video noted he needed to be quicker.

Dave
I dont think I can whip a RWD around a turn, but WTF was that
Old 01-04-2003, 05:31 AM
Ludicrous Speed

the custommacima.com project max should enter it next round
Old 01-04-2003, 05:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The thing is though most of these Jerkys have the big bank account, but absolutely NO driving skill. Take this "Mani" guy with the Supra (video). A 12.62 out of a single turbo Supra? God help us. Put me in a Z06 and this guy is toast. The guy clearly misses a shift on the 1/4 mile (you can hear it). On the road coarse, this guy couldn't hit the apex if his life depended on it. It's my understanding that the owners are the drivers in this competition, correct?

Put one of our winning auto-X guys in a well tuned turbo 4th gen pushing 4psi in the road coarse and 7psi in 1/4 mile along with a full coil-over kit, full brake kit, along with shaved DOT racing tires and see what happens. I think a Maxima and DRIVER could be very competitive. The only guy I'd worry about is the Viper guy. All these other guys seem to have cars with motors that clearly can exceed the chassis along with thier lack of driving skill. Just like in Gran Turismo, a 950hp Supra is an ungodly mess when truely pushed in a road coarse. It's great in the straights, but it's a mess in the turns.
Dave, will you marry me? I completely agree with you. Not to mention Supras like that are only set up for the 1/4 mile; if they try to turn in a road coarse they are all over the place. The only Supras that do well in road courses are the JGCT with completely different suspension and tire setups.
Same with Vipers. The LeMans and race-driving-school cars are set up for road courses; a Viper that isn't set up properly will be just as messy, if not more-so because of an even longer wheel base.

I didn't look up the info on these people, but if somone has the money (coughcough like Cheston) to set up a maxima and do well with it on the tracks.... did you guys watch that video of him around the track? Good stuff. Max's may be big, but they can be made to perform pretty well. I think a 3rd Gen would probably be the best suited for this because of superior suspension from the factory....
Old 01-04-2003, 05:45 AM
Father of the 00 VI

No but explain to me how a 276 hp sentra ,2000 model got 4th place 896points 3rd 908 ? A maxima would do well i think ,the car with the most power last year a hyundai tiburon 627whp stock internals ,got sixed place last year.Its a all around contest where comfort matters as much as power.Am waiting for somebody to flame me about the hyundai!
Old 01-04-2003, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by Lime
[B]I didn't look up the info on these people, but if somone has the money (coughcough like Cheston) to set up a maxima and do well with it on the tracks..../B]
Will you marry me?j/k I was thinking the same thing. Cheston already does some autoX/road course driving, and he's pretty good at it. He should at least do well on the roadcourse test. Who knows, he might have already been to the track that they do the testing on(is it Willow Springs or something?) If Cheston is still boosted, that would give him some of the power he needs to compete, and he's already got a good suspension.

Besides, I don't think we could get him to take the Z out there.

I agree with the others here. The Max won't be the best, but I think that when properly set up, it could surprise a few people.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:06 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

we would have to gut the max(somewhat) and throw in a rollcage for safety/strengthing purposes.

a few issues ago in SCC they had the "send in your picture and write up for an entry" -

there were some bonafide real high horsepower cars but there were also some freaking chromed rimmed losers.

anything is possible.

a while back there was a show on speed vision that a 5th gen max with side exhaust doing a real road course event, so it is possible that the max be set up and hang on a road course.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Don't get me wrong, I don't the Maxima would win overall, but if the driver is good and the car is tuned right suspension/braking wise along with pushing ~280-350whp in a 3000lb car, things could be very interesting. Tons of HP (especially turbo HP) can bite you in the butt when you least expect it.

I remember watching a horde of 240SXs doing a simple SCCA auto-X coarse and the turbo SR20s were all over the place. They'd get real tail happy when the boost came on-line in the turn, then they'd let off , the car would bog, and then they'd go sliding off the track. The KA turbo 240SX though, with lots of torque to match it's decent HP (250whp), was a storming machine. Boost was linear and torque was rich. Even though he had significantly less power, he was far more quicker and faster.

Dave
Old 01-04-2003, 12:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

next time around every member should pitch in like $5... we'll build up a maxima.org project maxima and everyone can help in modifying it real nice - and enter it. we'll try to bring back andi baritchi to be our driver. max exposure for maxima.org!!

the car should be alone the lines of...

4th gen (black of course!) with

mevi
turbo with about 8psi
a few nice sets of tires on 16" kosei's?
jic coilovers
bars all around including a gutted interior with roll cage
cf hood
and a few other goodies =)

or we can just steal delio's car and enter that
Old 01-04-2003, 12:27 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by CKNY
next time around every member should pitch in like $5... we'll build up a maxima.org project maxima and everyone can help in modifying it real nice - and enter it. we'll try to bring back andi baritchi to be our driver. max exposure for maxima.org!!

the car should be alone the lines of...

4th gen (black of course!) with

mevi
turbo with about 8psi
a few nice sets of tires on 16" kosei's?
jic coilovers
bars all around including a gutted interior with roll cage
cf hood
and a few other goodies =)

or we can just steal delio's car and enter that
I've already got 3/4ths of that stuff... donations?
Old 01-04-2003, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Lime
[B]Dave, will you marry me? I completely agree with you. Not to mention Supras like that are only set up for the 1/4 mile; if they try to turn in a road coarse they are all over the place. The only Supras that do well in road courses are the JGCT with completely different suspension and tire setups. Same with Vipers. The LeMans and race-driving-school cars are set up for road courses; a Viper that isn't set up properly will be just as messy, if not more-so because of an even longer wheel base./B]
Your comments about Mani's car being setup for drag racing humor me. I'm sure your comments of Supras and road racing would go over well with Andi and a buncha the other road racers on SF. Maybe try researching the cars before you bash them? Ho' well..

Old 01-04-2003, 02:22 PM

Cool idea, but it would cost way too much money to be competitive. Our platform is sort of handicapped for this kind of a competition. Some things that would be needed to be competitive would be...

-Full suspension mods (coilover, FSTB, RSB, etc.)
-Brembo Big Brake Kit with Race pads
-Full custom built roll cage
-DOT Race slicks with lightweight rims with spares
-Turbo Kit
-Full interior gutting with racing seats
-Custom Body work for wider tires and brake ducts
-Lots of Track time

Lots of other little things would have to be done, but thats a start. If someone was to do this from scratch I would say they would have to invest nearly 15k into the car.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:37 PM

I would like to point out that this is the Ultimate Street Car Challenge. Therefore stripping your interior and adding a cage will lose some points in the Grandma category, but my give you some advantage in the actual racing aspect.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:52 PM

coolie guys love supras and rx7s....

Originally posted by krismax
hyundai tiburon 627whp STOCK internals
no flames.... just one word... HOW?
Old 01-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Originally posted by MAXIN
coolie guys love supras and rx7s....

That's what I wanted to know.. but I remember reading it, so it's not completely false (can't remember 627hp)

On a side note: A Maxima does have a decent chance to be in there, you just have to have a lot of buddies and a lot of other people voting on your car. Think if it this way: we voted Bush in the White House, so why not a Maxima into Ultimate Street Car Challenge? Anything can win a vote in America. If it all rests in the hands of voters, I'm sure a lot of people would find the car they like, vote for that one, and then vote for all the other cars that they think won't have the chance to make it against the favorite.

Pick a Skyline, Supra, RX-7, GSX, and then a Cavalier, a Neon, a wimpy WRX, the Tiburon again, maybe another 510, and then the Maxima. My money's on the Skyline in that fictional round. But imagine the Maxima beating out a Supra overall. Maybe this is nonsense..

Maxima: 4-doors, not as small as a WRX, but big enough to pack in a lot of comfort goodies for the judges. You can actually take them for a ride and fit 3 of them in the back seat with plenty leg-room. Also, think of all the dash real estate for stashing electronic gadgets.

I think the downfall in maybe a 4th gen would be the presentation of the engine bay. It would have to be really really clean.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by MAXIN
It has 2 engines. One under the hood, and one in well.. the trunk. I think theres a vid of it on Racingflix.com. If not I have it somewhere I believe.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:38 PM
SLOW

Too bad those "stock internals" were from a different car. Yes the Tiburon comes with an N/A 4g63 stock, but the motors were turbo 4g63s transplanted from DSMs. 627 is the sum of the hp the two engines produced, so about 310 a piece (I think it was like 300 and 320ish).
Old 01-04-2003, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Too bad those "stock internals" were from a different car. Yes the Tiburon comes with an N/A 4g63 stock, but the motors were turbo 4g63s transplanted from DSMs. 627 is the sum of the hp the two engines produced, so about 310 a piece (I think it was like 300 and 320ish).

ohhh yes...this car....i stumbled onto an article about this a while back... yes that explains the "stock internals"
Old 01-04-2003, 05:33 PM

I just read the sports compact car magazine, haha. The maxima could have a very good chnace especially with a good driver. Its all up to the peole though. We could get the whole org to vote for a Maxima becuase only 4000 thousand people voted this year. Hell ya! I was reading baout these peoples car, the onyl one that sound like problems is the viper and the little car with rotary engine in it. It only weighs 1800 pounds! I saw we gut a 4th gen, becuase I tihnk thats the one that has the most potential.

Suspension what people said before and warpseed subframe connectors.
A turbo without mevi, we need low rpm horses not high, you truning often. We don't want to be like the silly supra with all the high pm horses. Then we need to take as much as we can out of the car, lighten it, as much titanium and carbon fiber as we can. And probally around 450 to 500 fwhp. Thats the only way we can compete, I mean theres a freaking 10 second dsm that weighs 3100 pounds as much as our 4th gens. Let it begin!!!

Quick Reply: Ok....when is a Maxima gonna try and compete/enter the SCC challenge?