General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What to remove before selling Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 05:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What to remove before selling Maxima?

I'm moving to a very cold and snowy climate (Wyoming). I plan on selling the Maxima and getting either an AWD or 4X4 vehicle (maybe the Murano ) I have the following aftermarket parts on the car, and I'd like to know whether or not it is recommended to remove the part before selling the car:

18" Enkei RS-6 wheels (no longer have the stock 16")
Tokico struts in front\KYB AGX in the back
H&R springs
2K2 HIDs (I only have the passenger side 2k headlight)

Specifically, should I get some 16" stock rims or should I sell the car with the 18" rims? Should I put the stock springs and shocks back on (they are still in decent condition with 35K miles on them)? I guess it's cheapest to buy the driver side 2K headlight and sell the 2K2 HIDs.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:15 PM

Remove:

paint chips
windsheild chips
interior squeeks
warped rotors
bald-ini RE-92s
rear-window wind noise
skipping CD
flaky ECU

Anything else?
Old 01-06-2003, 06:18 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Re: What to remove before selling Maxima?

Originally posted by Tanman
I'm moving to a very cold and snowy climate (Wyoming). I plan on selling the Maxima and getting either an AWD or 4X4 vehicle (maybe the Murano ) I have the following aftermarket parts on the car, and I'd like to know whether or not it is recommended to remove the part before selling the car:

18" Enkei RS-6 wheels (no longer have the stock 16")
Tokico struts in front\KYB AGX in the back
H&R springs

Specifically, should I get some 16" stock rims or should I sell the car with the 18" rims? Should I put the stock springs and shocks back on (they are still in decent condition with 35K miles on them)? I guess it's cheapest to buy the driver side 2K headlight and sell the 2K2 HIDs.
Aftermarket stuff that you added to the car afterwards usually ends up in a big loss when you sell the car cause it doesn't really factor in. I'd say take everything off, find a way to get the stock parts back, and sell the other stuff separately.

That's what I think. You can always arrange a change/swap with a org member and have them pay you the difference or something like that
Old 01-06-2003, 06:48 PM

So anyone want to trade their 2K 16" 5-spoke alloy rims for a set of 18X7" Enkei RS-6, one with a few scrapes?

As for the stuff Bert mentioned, the dealer won't care about most of that. It'll probably be a Nissan dealer trade, so they'd better cut me some slack.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: What to remove before selling Maxima?

I have the passenger side headlight, and would be willing to give that and some $ for the '02 HIDs. Let me know

Carlos
Old 01-06-2003, 07:15 PM

Re: Re: What to remove before selling Maxima?

Originally posted by cwally

I have the passenger side non-AE headlight , and would be willing to give that and some $ for the '02 HIDs. Let me know.

Carlos
Old 01-06-2003, 07:21 PM

Re: Re: What to remove before selling Maxima?

Originally posted by cwally

I have the passenger side headlight, and would be willing to give that and some $ for the '02 HIDs. Let me know

Carlos
Hi cwally, I need the driver side headlight, which I guess you also have, but is it the AE version or modified?

This is an interesting deal. As details get finalized about my move, I will get closer to selling the Maxima. You're first on the list for the 2K2 HIDs.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:24 PM

I got the struts\shocks\springs installed only 3 months ago for $400 struts and shocks\$215 springs\$165 install. Should I leave them on and sell the car with them, or pay another ~$100+ to have them uninstalled, then hope someone will buy my used suspension parts? The springs are fine, but it wouldn't be worth it unless someone buys the struts\shocks too.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:32 PM
It's chrome alright...

you've got mail...

So anyone want to trade their 2K 16" 5-spoke alloy rims for a set of 18X7" Enkei RS-6, one with a few scrapes?

As for the stuff Bert mentioned, the dealer won't care about most of that. It'll probably be a Nissan dealer trade, so they'd better cut me some slack.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:51 PM

If the deal doesn't go down with cwally, let me know. I'd be interested in trading my 01 headlights and $ for your HID's
Old 01-06-2003, 10:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: What to remove before selling Maxima?

Hi cwally, I need the driver side headlight, which I guess you also have, but is it the AE version or modified?

This is an interesting deal. As details get finalized about my move, I will get closer to selling the Maxima. You're first on the list for the 2K2 HIDs.
I have the driver side regular headlight (non-bronze) pictured here

As the well as the ones pictured in my sig. We can work something out with either or. But let me be the first to know.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:15 AM

I didn't really mean this to be a "for sale" thread. I'm really looking for opinions on whether I should remove certain items before trading in the car, considering the cost and time of uninstallation and possibly making some money by removing the aftermarket parts and trying to sell them individually. I don't know if I'll have time to do that since everything is happening pretty quick with the move. In that case, I'd have to keep the Maxima and try to survive the icy\snowy roads of Wyoming in my mildly souped-up sports sedan. Most folks there say FWD is better than 4WD, since people tend to get over-confident in 4WD vehicles in snow and end up making a mistake and having an accident. Even so, I'd rather have the AWD or 4WD SUV. I will be required to drive back and forth between 5 or more sites to provide IT support, so when that server goes down at 2AM and there's a blizzard outside, my car better be able to make the 2 hour trip to the server location.

My other concern is that the Maxima is as much my beater car as a daily driver, so if something goes wrong and I'm in Wyoming, it could be a big problem trying to find a local tuner shop. Any local mechanics might have a problem helping me tune my SC .
Old 01-07-2003, 06:36 AM

Keep in mind that I also have the following on my car that would definitely be removed if the car was traded in:

SC with stock pulley and aluminum idler and tensioner pulleys and Greddy BOV
VB mod, B&M tranny cooler
Stillen RSB
Courtesy FSTB
tranny cooler
Greddy boost gauge
Hyperground wiring system
PIAA Super Plasma foglight bulbs
Hella supertone horns
Optima Yellowtop battery
Cattman fed-spec Y-pipe
RT catalytic converter
Old 01-07-2003, 07:45 AM

I know this isn't a 4sale thread (yet) but I could part with my 2kSE 17' 6 spokers for your 18's.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
you've got mail...

I'll check my mail when I get home this evening. You and fhaze are on the list, but I doubt it will be a straight trade.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:21 AM

I've got some 2k SE 16s, live about 5 hours away from you in TX, and would be interested in a trade plus cash

YGM
Old 01-07-2003, 11:43 AM
!OG SNES OG!

Uh, I'm sorry to be rude... but it's gotta be said...

HELLO JABRONI???!!!

Try checking out the Canada and Northeastern US forums, and ask how many of them are selling their Maximas because they live in a "very cold and snowy" place...

WTF????

Dude, get some Hakkapeliitas and then you'll realize what a mistake it would be. Try driving in snow and cold for 5 months of the year in a Maxima and you'll realize that your car will do JUST FINE, thank you!

I think you should ask us Ottawa guys if the Maxima is a problem in the cool (ooooh), or the snow (ahhhh!). Maybe ask the Toronto guys as well. Oh, and for good measure, try the Prairie guys like Supermachoman.

If I hear of ONE person who sold their Maxima because they FEAR snow and cold, then I know of ONE Maxima owner who has no worries about ever freezing their nuts off.... cuz they have none to start with!!!!

Tanman, don't take this TOO personally I'm sure you're a great guy! But that is the LAMEST reason to sell a Maxima I have ever heard of.
(This coming from a guy who drives 1.5 hours to work 2 times a week, through snowstorms and snowdrifts (of course uphill both ways).

DON'T SELL THE MAX!! It handles great in the winter with some snow tires, and the seat warmers keep you tush nice and toasty!

Mike
Old 01-07-2003, 12:36 PM

Re: Uh, I'm sorry to be rude... but it's gotta be said...

Originally posted by Blaxxxima
HELLO JABRONI???!!!

Tanman, don't take this TOO personally I'm sure you're a great guy! But that is the LAMEST reason to sell a Maxima I have ever heard of.

Mike
You tryin to make me cry?? Cause if so, then you came close...

Anyways, I'm sure the Maxima is fine for cold and snowy climates, but I have several reasons for wanting to sell the Maxima if I move. The main reason I'm moving is for work. I'd be driving between 5 different remote sites in lower Wyoming, each of which is 45 minutes to 2 hours away from my central location. That means a lot of miles on empty freeways with lots of ice and snow and deer. I've never lived anywhere but Texas, so that would be quite a change. I also would like heated seats, heated steering wheel, battery warmer, rubber floor mats, AWD, etc.

With all the driving I will be doing, I don't think my supercharged Maxima will hold up. And if something fails, there's not much chance I'll find a local tuner shop to help fix my car. Your average car mechanic in Wyoming probably has never worked on a Japanese car before, and even less likely an SC. I'm sure his ASE certification will prepare him to work on anything automotive and mechanical, but I'd rather not risk it.

Besides, this is a great opportunity to trade in the Maxima and get a car I really want. I love my Maxima, but it's been my experiment car more than anything, and I don't think it will survive what I'll have to put it through in Wyoming.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:10 PM
!OG SNES OG!

Re: Re: Uh, I'm sorry to be rude... but it's gotta be said...

LOL, sorry to make ya feel bad! I understand if you have your reasons to sell. Besides, if you're getting a new car, then hey, why not something nice

But if anyone can vouch for the benefits of the Max in ice/snow/deer collision situations, it's me I'm a veteran deer hitter, and have been driving the Max in adverse conditions for 2 years now (notwithstanding all my other vehicles).

Either way, if you're concerned about an engine issue, or with the mechanics not being able to handle a supercharged car, why would you go with a Murano (and it's CVT), when them backwoods mechies would likely not know how to handle that either? heh heh

I'm not going to blame you for upgrading, and your intentions are good. Just be forewarned - many angry Canadians will be looking down on you if we find out you've picked up a Jimmy.

Hope your move is safe and speedy, and you enjoy your new home/job.
Mike

You tryin to make me cry?? Cause if so, then you came close...

Anyways, I'm sure the Maxima is fine for cold and snowy climates, but I have several reasons for wanting to sell the Maxima if I move. The main reason I'm moving is for work. I'd be driving between 5 different remote sites in lower Wyoming, each of which is 45 minutes to 2 hours away from my central location. That means a lot of miles on empty freeways with lots of ice and snow and deer. I've never lived anywhere but Texas, so that would be quite a change. I also would like heated seats, heated steering wheel, battery warmer, rubber floor mats, AWD, etc.

With all the driving I will be doing, I don't think my supercharged Maxima will hold up. And if something fails, there's not much chance I'll find a local tuner shop to help fix my car. Your average car mechanic in Wyoming probably has never worked on a Japanese car before, and even less likely an SC. I'm sure his ASE certification will prepare him to work on anything automotive and mechanical, but I'd rather not risk it.

Besides, this is a great opportunity to trade in the Maxima and get a car I really want. I love my Maxima, but it's been my experiment car more than anything, and I don't think it will survive what I'll have to put it through in Wyoming.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by KLoWnPR109
I've got some 2k SE 16s, live about 5 hours away from you in TX, and would be interested in a trade plus cash

YGM
I'll add you to the list .
Old 01-07-2003, 01:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Uh, I'm sorry to be rude... but it's gotta be said...

LOL, sorry to make ya feel bad! I understand if you have your reasons to sell. Besides, if you're getting a new car, then hey, why not something nice

Hey no problem, thanks for the information. That's the kind of feedback I also need. As it is, I'll probably have to drive the Maxima for the first few months before I get a chance to remove all the aftermarket parts, then trade in the Maxima and try to sell the parts. If the car can handle the change, then I might keep it and save up for the R35 like I originally planned.

The reason I'd prefer the Murano is because it's new and hasn't been messed with unlike the Maxima. I made a few mistakes here and there while working on the Maxima, so I wouldn't feel completely confident driving it in bad conditions. I'd rather start fresh, and any issues would be covered by the dealer.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:24 PM

I'll add you to the list .

Pull me out Tanman...I looked at the specs and they are 18x7...Im actually looking for 7.5 or 8" good luck though.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by fhaze_max

Pull me out Tanman...I looked at the specs and they are 18x7...Im actually looking for 7.5 or 8" good luck though.
Yeah, 18X7 sux because you can pretty much only use Nittos or Kumhos. All the other tire manufacturers have 18X7.5 or 18X8 tires.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:33 PM
!OG SNES OG!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Uh, I'm sorry to be rude... but it's gotta be said...

The reason I'd prefer the Murano is because it's new and hasn't been messed with unlike the Maxima. I made a few mistakes here and there while working on the Maxima, so I wouldn't feel completely confident driving it in bad conditions. I'd rather start fresh, and any issues would be covered by the dealer.

Besides the Murano looks sweet!

What "mistakes" did you make that make you unsure of driving it in bad conditions???
Old 01-07-2003, 04:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Uh, I'm sorry to be rude... but it's gotta be said...

Besides the Murano looks sweet!

What "mistakes" did you make that make you unsure of driving it in bad conditions???
I plead the 5th, your honor .

Honestly, I'd rather not say, it's both embarassing and possibly damaging if I try to put the car on the market in the future.