General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

The real reason Nissan puts one muffler into dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 09:33 AM
STFU n00b!

Hey.. I have an idea... Let's get into a pi$$ing contest over the exhaust setup of a bunch of cars we don't even own... hell, we even make fun of many of these cars every day! So let's sit here and argue about them for hours and hours and waste bandwidth on a server that's loaded down enough as is.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:42 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: The real reason Nissan puts one muffler into dual exhaust

You are so wrong.

Dual Exhaust from the engine back these days is useless. You can have one pipe 3 inches to flow more than enough exhaust than 2 pipes 2.25-2.5".

Also, a LS1, either it be a camaro, transam or vette, it has one pipe going to the rear.

It is not a true dual exhaust either.

2 pipes come out of cats, go into one pipe (crushed under driver side), to rear of car, into muffler, then splits into 2 exhausts.

My CL is similar except when it hits the mufflers it turns into a Y before the mufflers.

There is no car made today that has a true dual exhaust.

Originally posted by jemartin
I've been hearing complaints recently about Several Nissan cars having a single muffler but dual exhaust. I think the reason that Nissan does this is to actually reduce restriction and weight. If you think about it, a muffler is a device that quiets the exhaust noises of the car. It also creates restriction. Which would you rather have, a larger single pipe into a muffler, or a smaller pipe going into a 2 mufflers causing more restriction than the first case. In addition only a few cars have TRUE dual exhaust and this does not include any BMW or Mustang. The only cars that I know that have True dual exhaust are Pontiac Grand Am, Pontiac Trans Am, and the Chevrolet Camaro. Why are they considered true dual exhausts you ask? The reason is that they have two pipes going into two Converters out to two pipes and finally to two Mufflers. This is one of the reasons why the LS1's other than displacement beat the Mustangs so bad. Also this is one of the reasons that a 1999 stock Pontiac Grand Am GT Automatic can do 0-60 as fast as a 2K-2k1 Automatic Maxima. Another reason for this is the GA GT has cold air induction stock and is able to use its only 175 HP more effectively. However the Maxima kills it in the Quarter Mile and from personal expericance I'd rather drive a Maxima than a Grand Am any day of the week

Old 01-27-2003, 09:46 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: The real reason Nissan puts one muffler into dual exhaust

Originally posted by jemartin

Uhh, I have to make an adjustment to my Claim earlier. The 1995-1996 Camaros and Trans Ams have Dual Catalytic Converters and also true dual exhaust due to their dual Cats. Go to this webpage to confirm this. As you can see the 1995-1996 Camaros and T/A's have dual Cats, just to back up my claim.
Wrong. NO FBODY has true dual exhaust. I hav eworked on 1993+ fbodys and none of them have a true dual exhaust.

Old 01-27-2003, 09:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thanks

Hi all..

Thanks for clearing all that up for me. I was going to get an Altima with the 3.5 6 cyl and didn't. One reason was because of the dual exhaust. I felt that if I ever needed to change the muffler, I'd have to change 2, more costly than one..

One question though.. is the Maxima's muffler stainless steel?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 01-27-2003, 01:40 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Re: The real reason Nissan puts one muffler into dual exhaust

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
You are so wrong.

Dual Exhaust from the engine back these days is useless. You can have one pipe 3 inches to flow more than enough exhaust than 2 pipes 2.25-2.5".

Also, a LS1, either it be a camaro, transam or vette, it has one pipe going to the rear.

There is no car made today that has a true dual exhaust.

Sorry Russ, you're the one that is WAY wrong. There cars made today with true dual exhausts. The Corvette does have a true dual exhaust. The pipes exit the manifolds and go along each side of the driveshaft tunnel and into seperate mufflers. The Mustang GT, Mustang Cobra, and the Crown Vic with the performance package.

A dual exhaust is not useless. A well designed dual exhaust with a well designed crossover pipe (aka X-pipe or H-pipe) will ultimately flow better than single outlet design. On a non-V motor, duals are useless.

Dave
Old 01-27-2003, 04:20 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by Dave B

Sorry Russ, you're the one that is WAY wrong. There cars made today with true dual exhausts. The Corvette does have a true dual exhaust. The pipes exit the manifolds and go along each side of the driveshaft tunnel and into seperate mufflers. The Mustang GT, Mustang Cobra, and the Crown Vic with the performance package.

A dual exhaust is not useless. A well designed dual exhaust with a well designed crossover pipe (aka X-pipe or H-pipe) will ultimately flow better than single outlet design. On a non-V motor, duals are useless.

Dave
Hmmmm...if it has a True Dual then why does someone else here think it doesn't. I also believe it doesn't. Okay, maybe I should have said MOST CARS do not have true dual exhaust, only a handful. But the C5 does not have one.

A while back when I was part of the fbody club, we did alot of experimenting on real duals installed to a 3 inch exhaust. The 3 inch made more power. And we tried a H and X pipe, no difference.

Old 01-27-2003, 04:29 PM

cookie?

Old 01-27-2003, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

Dave
I think that tweaking things takes trial and error, which obviously equates to time and money. That's why much of the aftermarket is purely for looks, or any mild performance gain comes at the great expense of drivability.

I've never attempted to put a dual exhaust system on my Maxima, so anybody can feel free to take a shot at me and say I don't know what I'm talking about. This is a forum, so no offense taken!

Anyway, I think the methodology which says the bigger the exhaust (ie >=3"), the less backpressure, the more power is totally flawed. Larger exhausts can move more gases out of the motor, true. But what also happens is the velocity slows as the tubing gets larger, requiring the motor to use more force the expel the gases than before. Low end torque and HP now drops. But it looks really cool!

Hey, even Audi and Jaguar go to the added expense of looking cool and having fake duals. That's why it really is fascinating how business-like (and expensive) BMW is with regard to function. Nothing is ever done for purely looks. Everything is about driving. No 6-spd or dual exhausts on the 330, but man the way that thing drives with it's paltry hp <225 or whatever it is.