General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need info on the VQ engine...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 09:44 AM
wat

Need info on the VQ engine...

Im doing a huge report on the Maxima's VQ engine.. Im just asking if anyone knows some good sites with alot of info and pics of the engine?

I need alot of in-depth info!

thx
Old 01-15-2003, 11:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

Search hi and low, here and other sites, I'm sure you'll find a lot of stuff. Carpoint.com has the cyl. dimensions, under your hood has valve clearences
Old 01-15-2003, 11:27 AM
living out of a maxima...

yeah I know there are some threads around here talking about why the VQ is so good, something about bore/stroke ratio. I think VQ is too small a search term so maybe try VQ30 or VQ35
Old 01-15-2003, 12:06 PM
wat

Well, I need more Indepth official information on the engine... i.e Engine price, locations manufactured from, etc
Old 01-15-2003, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by BlueC
Well, I need more Indepth official information on the engine... i.e Engine price, locations manufactured from, etc
Engine manufacturer locations here.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:23 PM
wat

Originally posted by fhaze_max

I already tried that...

So, does anyone know of any websites with the info im looking for?
Old 01-15-2003, 02:47 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

try over on Freshalloy.com
Old 01-16-2003, 06:24 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Just search here for your search terms, but specify the username to search for as "Keven97SE" and then look for his specfic posts.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:08 AM
wat

Originally posted by SteVTEC
Just search here for your search terms, but specify the username to search for as "Keven97SE" and then look for his specfic posts.
Hey, thanks for the info... btw, your dyno graphs are great!
Old 01-16-2003, 09:35 AM
wat

Would it be a good Idea to call up nissan and ask for information on the production of the VQ engine? I mean, its hard to find out where most the engines were manufactured and I need alot of In-depth information about the engine.. Im giving a report infront of executives and I cant be missing alot of information... so if anyone has contacted nissan on information about a engine, car, etc, let me know if its wise to do..
Old 01-16-2003, 11:42 AM

good luck calling Nissan!

Try this: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ight=spec+data

The stroke on the 3.0 engines is 2.89in
The stroke on the 3.5 engines is 3.20in

http://www.autosite.com/new/Datashts/engines/3108.asp

Also - MaxFAQ's: http://home.earthlink.net/~maxfaq/history.htm#VQ30DE
Old 01-16-2003, 12:35 PM
wat

HAAH, I called nissan, they Directed me to a local dealer, then they directed me to Nissan again..... they are clueless, all I found out is that the VQ is manufactured in Japan most likely the Iwaki Plant....

But damn, they are horrible to deal with... they didnt know what engine I was talking about at first, I finally said the engine in the maxima...
Old 01-16-2003, 06:54 PM
ivelweyz

What a smart *** ******** you are...

Old 01-17-2003, 04:31 AM

Originally posted by BlueC
HAAH, I called nissan, they Directed me to a local dealer, then they directed me to Nissan again..... they are clueless, all I found out is that the VQ is manufactured in Japan most likely the Iwaki Plant....

But damn, they are horrible to deal with... they didnt know what engine I was talking about at first, I finally said the engine in the maxima...
Like I suggested, stick to searching here
Old 01-17-2003, 06:42 PM
wat

Ok, so I call a Dealership (the only one with their service department open at 6:30pm) and they quoted me $2200 - $2500 for a VQ30DE engine... but I forgot to ask if thats for the complete engine or only a shortblock, etc... Does anyone know a site where I can find out prices on the VQ30DE engine and the VQ35DE engine??

I need to find out "Official" prices if possible... any help is great
Old 01-18-2003, 06:35 AM

I have no idea what exactly you're trying to accomplish, but if you're looking to Nissan as an engine supplier for some sort of commercial application, you're probably SOL.

Honda on the otherhand is an engine company first, and an automaker second. The same engines that are being used in Honda's cars are also used and sold for commerical applications such as generators and such. Although obviously they're tuned differently, but they're still the same basic engines.....

So if you're looking for an automotive engine to be used in some commercial application, try Honda
Old 01-18-2003, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by ivelweyz

What a smart *** ******** you are...

At least my post was attempting to "help him help himself".

Your post on the other hand is a complete waste of time and bandwidth.

Old 01-18-2003, 07:35 AM
Handsome

Hope this helps

Probably not what your looking for, but it should be interesting to add to your report.

The VQ was also named in Wards top ten engines for the 9th year in a row.

This first post is from 2001, all others are around 95 when the VQ was introduced.

Ward's Auto World, January 2001 - For the seventh year in a row, Nissan's VQ motor--which powers the new Pathfinder, Maxima/Infiniti I30 and the new Z--was named to Ward's Auto World's "Ten Best Engines of the Year" award list. The VQ is the only engine in the world to receive the award every year since the list has been compiled. In speaking of the VQ, Ward's said, "We've said it before and we'll say it again. There isn't a better V6 in automotivedom--regardless of price." Joining the VQ on the list were powerplants from Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Honda, Toyota, Ford and GM

Motor Trend, Road Test, June 1994

"The test gear must be screwed up. Zero to 60 in 6.6 seconds? No way!" It took nearly a dozen acceleration runs, two sets of fifth wheels, and three drivers to confirm what non of us could believe: This demure-looking family car is the quickest Japanese sedan available in the States."

Ask us, and we'll tell you how the Maxima SE will whip the Nissan 300ZX, Integra GS-R and Taurus SHO in 0-60 mph and quarter-mile acceleration-and how it challenges or, in some cases, exceeds their handling marks, too."

"Our tester, a five-speed SE version of this fourth generation of Maxima, produced a blazing 6.6-second 0-60-mph time, a 15.2-second, 92.4-mph quarter-mile run, 0.83g skidpad cornering power and a 65.1-mph slalom run. That tops the Taurus SHO five-speed in every category. The new Maxima shows no mercy on its Nissan stablemates: It'll stomp the normally aspirated 300ZX, and drivers of automatic-transmissioned 300ZX Turbos best not be snoozing when the light goes green."

Automobile Magazine, September 1995 - Four Seasons Test

"The Nissan Maxima has one of the world's truly great engines….There are few cars that I will unhesitatingly recommend to someone who is looking for a new car. I put the Nissan Maxima into that category the first time I drove one. After our four-season experience, it is still in that category."

Automobile Magazine, 1995

"We were not ready for the Maxima SE. It just knocked us out. We expected refinement and maturity that come with a freshly redesigned car, but we weren't expecting greatness."

Motor Trend, February 1995

One of the technical high points of the '95 Maxima is its new V-6 engine, which is standard in all models. This new VQ powerplant is similar in configuration to the VG-series it replaces: Both are 3.0-liter 24-valve DOHC 60-degree sixes. But that's where the parallels end. The revolutionary VQ is smaller, lighter, cleaner, cheaper to build, and easier to maintain. It also makes more power and torque yet delivers better fuel economy."

Awards: (For 95)

Motor Trend Import Car of the Year February 1995

Automobile Magazine All-Stars List February 1995

Car & Driver Ten Best Cars January 1995
Old 01-18-2003, 07:51 AM
wat

Originally posted by SteVTEC
I have no idea what exactly you're trying to accomplish, but if you're looking to Nissan as an engine supplier for some sort of commercial application, you're probably SOL.

Honda on the otherhand is an engine company first, and an automaker second. The same engines that are being used in Honda's cars are also used and sold for commerical applications such as generators and such. Although obviously they're tuned differently, but they're still the same basic engines.....

So if you're looking for an automotive engine to be used in some commercial application, try Honda
Nono, Im not looking to buy an engine, im just doing a HUGE report about it infront of some executives... Its for a Marketing/business Class and I need loads of information... Im gonna keep calling dealerships to find information of the cost of the engine, I alreadt know alot about the engine, but I mainly need manufacturing information.

Hopefully you understand that. I know all about Honda making engines and cars second... But Im just doing an indepth report, so I need mainly information.

I always think of the ORG when Im needing Nissan/Infiniti related information
Old 01-18-2003, 11:30 PM
ivelweyz

At least my post was attempting to "help him help himself".

Your post on the other hand is a complete waste of time and bandwidth.

How exactly? You posted same thing as the guy above you, except he wasn't being a smartass...