General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

the honda/acura people know it too

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2001, 12:43 AM

well, its the truth no matter how much you deny it or think its not true, a stock 5th gen stock will stomp a stock type r. i have proof off of the new article of the turbo magazine, i will try to scan it tomorrow if i get my stupid scanner to work. but you people who read that magazine you will see an article talking about project maxima by stillen and in their article the praise the maxima and talk about how a stock 5th gen maxima can rip a new hole in the stock type r. when you think about it, it very logical and nothing surprising at all. i have a 3 gen maxima and beat a 99 vtec prelude (i dont know if it was a real vtec, could have been a sticker) and i have also beaten regular integs and some gsrs too. but mines not stock of course, i have intake and exhuast but theirs wasnt stock either. when all is said and done, for freaking sure we dominate the stock civics and stock accords and when you see a stock (you are screwed if its mid to heavily modded) reg integ, gsr, or type r...dont be scared cause your car stock or modded will make them eat your exhaust.
Old 01-05-2001, 11:09 AM

I'm so sick of this Honda/ Nissan war. Its so stupid. Honda has nice cars and so does Nissan. Some people should just let it go.
Old 01-05-2001, 11:16 AM
STFU n00b!

See my reply on the 3rd gen board about it..
we didn't buy this car because it will/won't outrun a honda. now stop acting like it's the end of the world if if we can or can't.
Old 01-05-2001, 11:52 AM
The missing moderator

Rip a new hole... blah blah blah... all you people that that make such general statements are nothing but bench racers and occational street racer.

I tell you what, find a competent driver... take the Type R and 5th gen Maxima to the track, I'll put $20 on it.. have the same person drive the both cars... let's see the results. I want a autox track and a 1/4. Stop bench and magazine racing. That's just a bunch of bull.

Since you like magazine numbers so much here we go:

Car and driver:

1997 Integra Type R
1/4 mile: 15.2 sec @ 93 mph
0-60 mph: 6.6
0-100 mph: 17.9
Top speed (drag limited): 143 mph
70–0 mph @ impending lockup: 164 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.88 g

2000 Nissan Maxima SE 5 speed:
1/4 mile: 15.6 sec @ 91 mph
0-60 mph: 7.0
0-100 mph: 19.5
Top speed (drag limited): 140 mph
70–0 mph @ impending lockup: 195 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.80 g

With those numbers from the same magazine, you are HARDLY ripping a hole in ANYONE.

Get over it... like Matt says... it's a car. plus if you get down to it... think about it, the R only has 1.8 liters and 4 holes int he engine. Maxima has 3.0 liters and 6 holes.

-Shing

Originally posted by nodoubt711
well, its the truth no matter how much you deny it or think its not true, a stock 5th gen stock will stomp a stock type r. i have proof off of the new article of the turbo magazine, i will try to scan it tomorrow if i get my stupid scanner to work. but you people who read that magazine you will see an article talking about project maxima by stillen and in their article the praise the maxima and talk about how a stock 5th gen maxima can rip a new hole in the stock type r. when you think about it, it very logical and nothing surprising at all. i have a 3 gen maxima and beat a 99 vtec prelude (i dont know if it was a real vtec, could have been a sticker) and i have also beaten regular integs and some gsrs too. but mines not stock of course, i have intake and exhuast but theirs wasnt stock either. when all is said and done, for freaking sure we dominate the stock civics and stock accords and when you see a stock (you are screwed if its mid to heavily modded) reg integ, gsr, or type r...dont be scared cause your car stock or modded will make them eat your exhaust.
Old 01-05-2001, 12:23 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Yup!!!!

exactly what I was saying on the 3rd gen board to this post.....don't sleep on those Type R's!! and just because SOME Honda/Acura owners are Ricers or ignorant doesn't mean we need to constantly jump on their case and insult their cars when indeed some of them are quite nice!!

1997 Integra Type R
1/4 mile: 15.2 sec @ 93 mph
0-60 mph: 6.6
0-100 mph: 17.9
Top speed (drag limited): 143 mph
70–0 mph @ impending lockup: 164 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.88 g

Old 01-05-2001, 03:30 PM

thanks guys for shutting newbies like that up.. just looking to start a war.. i agree that it depends on the track, driver and that magazines times are off ALOT of the time..

da-max,shing,matt,kash & doug..coming here and reading stuff like this helps me to defend maximas when they get put down, cuz alot of other honda/acura owners know that nissans are great cars..

nodoubt711.. do me a favor.. come post that a 5th generation can "stomp" a type r when you actually do it urself, then someone might listen to u... im not saying it couldnt but alot of so called facts are bs....

-VTECGIRLON17S
Old 01-06-2001, 09:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

HEY SHING YOUR ULL OF IT CUZ A STOCK 2000 MAXIMA SE DOES 0-60 IN 6 SECONDS FLAT AND THEY RUN THE 1/4 IN 15 FLAT MAYBE EVEN HIGH 14...SO THE STOCK TYPE-R EATS THE DUST FROM A STOCK 2K MAX SE.
Old 01-06-2001, 09:51 AM

Listen lurker... shing is just stating what's in text... No two cars are the same, even if it's the same year same model.. it will vary by a little bit...
I happened to witness a stock 2000 type R smoke me at the track running a 14.8 so go somewhere else and recite your figures that you copied from some magazine somewhere else.
Like everyone else has said.. IT'S JUST A F**KING CAR... S**T if anything the Type R should get a round of applause for producing 190HP from a 1.8.. let it go..

Originally posted by WHITEMAXGTR95
HEY SHING YOUR ULL OF IT CUZ A STOCK 2000 MAXIMA SE DOES 0-60 IN 6 SECONDS FLAT AND THEY RUN THE 1/4 IN 15 FLAT MAYBE EVEN HIGH 14...SO THE STOCK TYPE-R EATS THE DUST FROM A STOCK 2K MAX SE.
Old 01-06-2001, 09:54 AM

Damn you lurker. Shing is well respected here and he knows what he's talking about and plus he took it out of a magazine. Where did you get your info anyway? Whatever you're smoking/sniffin/shooting, I want some of that $h!t too
Old 02-14-2001, 08:12 PM

Speed kills, buy a Honda. (Thanks to whoever I stole that from)
Old 02-14-2001, 08:58 PM
is invisible

Don't waste your time.

In this case the Nissan is slower...buy it, because speed kills.
Old 02-14-2001, 09:05 PM
Moe

I dunno, I saw the article in Turbo that sais that the Max will run the 1/4 in 15.1 and the Type R did it in 15.22. Props to the Type R, but remember that is the Type R, our car is a 3100 pound family sedan. They each have their strengths and they each have their weaknesses.
Old 02-14-2001, 09:59 PM

Re: Yup!!!!

Originally posted by DA-MAX

?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!
I ran a 15.6 @ 89 mph in my stock AUTOMATIC maxima at the track so who the hell only got a 15.6 with a stick??? What a gimp! you better belive a stick maxima doesnt run a damn 15.6.... maybe if they driver sucks but dont blame the car for that!

Adam
Old 02-14-2001, 10:07 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Yup!!!!

I forgot to post my usual disclaimer when I post 1/4mi. times--><b>"I don't write 'em....I just post 'em"</b>

Originally posted by 2000MaximaSE
Originally posted by DA-MAX

?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!
I ran a 15.6 @ 89 mph in my stock AUTOMATIC maxima at the track so who the hell only got a 15.6 with a stick??? What a gimp! you better belive a stick maxima doesnt run a damn 15.6.... maybe if they driver sucks but dont blame the car for that!

Adam
Old 02-14-2001, 10:11 PM

stock '00 max se 0-60 in 6sec flat? wow.
Old 02-14-2001, 10:28 PM

hey adam, dont' forget the 15.3 max here. STOCK.. integs civics, maxima's audi's celicas mr2's skyline s2000 supra 300zx tt, nsx all great cars and not to be compared with. i can sense your enthusiasm in driving a maxima but please understand we have people with various opinions on this board so please keep your opinions humble.. if you were to post about how god is all mighty (excuse me for stepping on any of your feet for saying this) i would counter it by saying how he is not even close to being mighty. we all have our own opinions and do really wish to express them on this board so please refrain from engaging yourself in an argument over what car is faster or blah blah blah.. integras are more compact that's an advantage over the maxima at times.. however the maxima's extra bulk is also an advantage over the type-r at different times.. so to all good there is bad and to all bad there is good so is there a better?
Old 02-14-2001, 11:14 PM

Hey Woodear ... I got One!

Originally posted by WoodEar
stock '00 max se 0-60 in 6sec flat? wow.
Old 02-15-2001, 02:44 AM

umm, 6 sec flat?

if you can get me a 5th gen that's running 6 seconds to 60, i'll show up at your door with a fist full of $$. imagine a 6 sec to 60 Maxima(stock, cuz i know some of you have them, alrighty?:O)... what's the "projected" time for a 1/4? low 14's? but didn't someone run like 14.9 at the track stock?
Old 02-15-2001, 09:07 AM

Don't know if you guys saw this article in Motor Trend a few (maybe 6) months back, when they compared a 2000 Type R and a 2000 Celica GTS. They had the Type R running a 14.8. That's pretty f'n fast for a stock N/A 1.8 4cyl. Not many stock Maximas will run that. You also have to consider how well the Type R is built, how the suspension is set up, and how the tranny is matched PERFECTLY with the engine's capabilities (not to mention how smoothly Honda's shift). I think in a drag race w/my current mods, I'd definitly take a stock Type R (modded Type R, possibly different story). However, come to turn one, the Maxima would be toast. I'm considering an ITR for my next car. As for a Prelude, my sister owned one (1999) and I got to drive it for two weeks. Nice shifting feel, but wouldn't touch a stock 5spd Maxima (it also didn't seem to 'stick' in corners as well as the Maxima, yet had less body movement). The 'lude is just as heavy as a 4th gen Maxima, but w/ 50 less ftlbs torque. Also, the 200 horsepower come right at the 7000 rpm redline, so you don't get to use the maximum hp for very long. Just my two cents...
Old 02-15-2001, 01:52 PM

Got any proof?

Yeah, a 6 sec 0-60 5th gen(or any Max for that matter) would sure be nice. Can you even tell us where you got that number from? Because the way you're putting it, you're saying that a 5th gen can not only beat a Pontiac GTP or Acura CL Type-S, but also the upcoming Subaru Impreza.

Yeah, C&D's numbers are kinda high. In fact, just about everyone else recorded a lower time. They might have gotten a slower Max that hadn't been broken in yet, so don't take it out on Shing. Telling us where the numbers came from might get you a bit more respect. That, and turning off the caps lock will help.
Old 02-15-2001, 07:22 PM

oh ****

i got that from the turbo mag that somebody did mention i few posts earlier, i just got excited to see the maxima get some respect and praise in this article, i did not mean to start a flame war but i am glad that people are interested in this post i made. and now that i think about it, this is an old @$$ post, whoever brought this post back to life, hows the search feature workin for ya?
Old 02-15-2001, 07:53 PM

I have a friend with a totally modded typer

A guy I know has a 2000 typer, with complete new exhaust, intake, short throw shift, and I can't remember what else (he's done a LOT) - he's getting turbo as soon as it warms up.. anyways.. I can hang with him till ironically, high speeds, then he PULLS like crazy say around 80mph or so..

Driving wise, for funness, the itr is sooo much better - with his exhaust and I am sure you all know this a 8500rpm redline (he takes it to about 9k whenever showing off.. I know, not smart) it honestly sounds like a sport bike. The suspension, you feel like your flying, and cornering is INCREDIBLE!!! I LOVE his car, its fun to drive and play in, but you know, my max is probably more for me. I can fit a bunch of my friends in easily, cops aren't always following me (my friends is yellow... combined w/ the exhaust he seriously has cops just follow him for no reason, forever!), and its just nice.. a totally different style car.

So why do we have to spend SOOOO much time comparing them on the internet?

oh yah, another thing hehhe , if we are on numbers, I have an article (too lazy to go get it.... but I will later) from either motortrend or C&D, cant remember, that shows the broken in '95 max se 5spd running a 6.6 stock, 6.7 when it wasn't broken in... so thats about identical...

my take after driving both cars plenty... ITR is FUN!!!! MAX is moderately fun and NICE too...

Hey if anyone wants, I can post pics of his car and I can find out what he has done to it.. I think he said right now he runs a 6.2 0-60 time at the track... not too shabby.

oh yah, I ALWAYS thought vtec was a joke too, my friends vtec prelude you can't hardly tell the vtec, but the ITR, come to about 7000rpm, and with exhaust, it is CRAZY... *seems like* the acceleration and loudness doubles... its MAD! the tach just starts flying! oh well whatever
Old 02-16-2001, 09:11 AM

You should all refrain from being magazine stat ******. This has been a public service announcement from Room B106. Thank you.
Old 02-16-2001, 11:35 AM

.shrugs. My friend had a Yellow ITR...only managed 15.60s at the track, bone stock. I'm sure i woulda beat him. Since i previously ran a 15.20 stock with 18s. Also got to understand...

ITR = Not a drag racer
Maxima = Not close to being a drag racer

If the Maxima is to be good at anything (in terms of racing), it's road racing. The Maxima has the better motor for road racing than the ITR, but, the ITR is lighter and pivots much better. In terms of better motor... the VQ has a better response and much more torque to work with. Stick the VQ in something like...say, a 200sx... and you got one killer track car (assuming you got it to fit).

Compare the Maxima to the Accord. That's more on the same level. and, 9 times out of 10, the maxima is handed the Accord it's rear.

Either way...I loved my Supra, I love driving my Honda, I like my Maxima.
Old 02-16-2001, 04:08 PM
Southpaw17

hondas are easy to beat go for the the 3 series bmw, the new 3 series runs 0-60 in 6.2, and for those who dont believe me pick up feb road and track. i havent raced one yet but they it will give any max a good race.

DEBO

Old 02-16-2001, 07:32 PM

Hey, that's a good idea...

Originally posted by SCCA Solo2
If the Maxima is to be good at anything (in terms of racing), it's road racing. The Maxima has the better motor for road racing than the ITR, but, the ITR is lighter and pivots much better. In terms of better motor... the VQ has a better response and much more torque to work with. Stick the VQ in something like...say, a 200sx... and you got one killer track car (assuming you got it to fit).
Hey Solo2, the VQ prolly will fit in the 200SX engine bay. Think: A V6 has two banks of three cylinders, and an I4 has one bank of four. The VQ30DE is actually shorter, and only a bit wider than the SR20DE, so it should fit! And since the VQ is an aluminum block, and the SR is iron, weight gains will be minimal. There's your killer track car, right there. We just need somebody to try it!
Old 02-16-2001, 08:00 PM

just curious...

about the whole nissan vs honda thing. does anyone know the specs between the (top of the lines) NSX, skyline and silvia. can you compare performance and price if you were to bring the skyline and silvia here (rough estimates). i dont kno much about JDM cars but who hasnt heard of the skyline?
Old 02-16-2001, 11:57 PM

top of the line R34 Skyline GTR Vspec brand new imported is $7K cheaper than a brand new NSX. NSX goes for $92 for the NSX-T with a 290hp? 3.2L v6. Does low 13s NA. Won't outhandle a supra on the slalom but is a nice high speed track car.

The Skyline's 2.6L i6 TT motor is rated at 287hp? and does low 13s also. The Skyline and the NSX on a race course is a pretty good match. The NSX should beat up on the skyline since it's lighter, mid-engine and has a better torque band. But, the Skyline beats the NSX around some tracks by a few seconds.
Old 02-17-2001, 06:30 PM

wow, you talk like you know both cars very very well...