General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

rear right suspension woes on 4th gen.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2000, 08:55 AM

I have the tokico and eibach setup. over this past weekend, I was testing out my newly installed rear sway bar and noticed a creaking sound coming from the right rear wheel well.
I think its possibly the suspension because after removing my strut tower brace, the sqeak lessened but is still audible. I recently installed a rear strut tower bar but removed it out cos I noticed that the rstb tower braces weren't seated on properly on the shock mount. could it be that my rear shock had moved or something or its damaged? is there a way to make my rstb sit better on the mounts? do I dremel a little metal away to fit (would it affect the performance of rstb?) read on some ppl's web-pages that you have to bend the braces to fit on the mounts. any good pics / instructions on how to do it?
I also noticed when peering down the rear strut tower that the reddish paper you put on top of the shock before installation was out of alignment. Could it be because of this that the squeak is developing?

all expert advice and help is greatly appreciated.
thank you and best regards

ps, does GAB make shocks for our cars? my friend with a 240sx recently put on GAB adjustable shocks and am impressed by the results.

Old 09-11-2000, 09:13 AM

let it settle

i know it's not suppose to happen but just try it for a week or so and if it still squeeks then uh oh... i say put a lotta rubber bands on the strut bar to absorb the sound.. if it works then the bar is faulty.. send it back.
Old 09-11-2000, 09:38 AM
Keven97SE

The squeak is from the rear sway bar ->

I have it too. It's annoying when slowly cruising through my neighborhood...creak...squeak...creak. I have the ADDCO RSB. I'm thinking its the cheesy u-bolt/brackets rubbing against the trailing arms. Thinking maybe of dipping the u-bolts in that rubberized coating dip (that you can dip tool handles in) and re-installing to give some isolation from the trailing arms...the only thing I can think of.

Old 09-11-2000, 09:38 AM

Re: let it settle

Originally posted by mingo
i know it's not suppose to happen but just try it for a week or so and if it still squeeks then uh oh... i say put a lotta rubber bands on the strut bar to absorb the sound.. if it works then the bar is faulty.. send it back.
strut bar? with rubber bands? where do you place the rubber bands? or were you referring to the newly installed sway bar? and where do you place the rubber bands again?
many thanks again for your any advice
Old 09-11-2000, 09:44 AM

which ever u had..

just put tie the rubber bands right by the mounting points. or get dynomat.. just sound deadning material.. it'll reduce the vibration taht causes squeeks and stuff. sound is just alotta air gettin' pushed by somehting moving back and forth hella fast like a vibration.. the faster it vibrates the higher the pitch.. i think i may be wrong on this but most likely not.. or it could be the metal flexing.. but it's still vibration.. do u have poly urethane bushings??? it should help.
Old 09-11-2000, 09:44 AM

The RSTB doesn't really fit to begin with anyways. At least mine didn't. I used a vice grip to bend the offending metal partition in the trunk away so the RSTB can fit in. It fits perfectly now. You only need to bend the partition out about 1/2" or so.

Also, when I first installed my Addco RSB, it rattled and clanged all the time. Turned out a washer was bent so it rattled as I drove. Just make sure all the bolts are on really tight and it should be quiet.

[Edited by Eric L. on 09-11-2000 at 11:51 AM]