General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Pic and comments on Big Brake Upgrade:

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 06:51 PM
vapors smx

Well I had my local tuner install my new brakes. He is a distributor of Baer Brakes and also build mustangs for drag and course racing(I know, mustang, but he is the best guy in Phoenix for working o this stuff). He commented how high quality the kit was and was very impressed. There was one major problem though. Stillen screwed up the kit and sent 1 wrong bolt that caused a 2 hour delay while my tuner scrambled to get a new bolt(the bolt that holds the caliper to the mounting bracket. dont wanna rig this or you will die). Also stillen failed to send any instructions whatsoever. When I called them they said they didnt have any instructions for it LOL. Oh well, my tuner figured it out. I havent gotten any time braking hard on them due to the braking period, however the braking we are doing now is showing us not only better pedal feel, but much harder bite. We cannot wait to give a full review when they are broken in, but as my tuner said, "there is a lot bigger pad with more rotor to bite".

before the brake install. running stock sized cross drilled rotors with stock caliper.

New brake system. There is about an 1.5-2 inch clearence from the rotor to the wheel. there is maybe 1/2 an inch if that from caliper to wheel.

The only modification we did was to cut off the dust shield. otherwise everything else was straight bolt in.

Old 01-07-2001, 06:58 PM
Disco Biscuit

Damn, Damn, Damn,

Looks good as always...
can't wait to hear the review....
Old 01-07-2001, 06:59 PM

I wish they had a four-wheel system. I remember when I talked to you about this last year (rotating mass). Stillen is great on instructs and support though, I can't believe you had a problem................NOT!!!hehe

Looks great!! Lemme know how much BHP you lost on the dyno.

Don
Old 01-07-2001, 07:03 PM
vapors smx

Originally posted by Don in Texas
I wish they had a four-wheel system. I remember when I talked to you about this last year (rotating mass). Stillen is great on instructs and support though, I can't believe you had a problem................NOT!!!hehe

Don
Hey Don. yeah, the problem is that the rotor weighs about 22 lbs. I dont know what stock weighs, however, using the butt dyno, we havent lost anything yet LOL. Hopefully when we go with the 3.25 pulley next month we can replace the lost and add some. Vanessa, my wife, is just very happy that she can now easily stop without worry.

Old 01-07-2001, 07:55 PM

I have to say those look sweet! Perfect rims for them to. Dam am I jealous!
Old 01-07-2001, 07:59 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

Sweet, vapors

keep us posted how they really brake.
Old 01-07-2001, 08:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How much did the big brake kit cost? Heard it was at least $1200?
Old 01-07-2001, 09:00 PM

$1200 per side.....Not including labor.

You know Lee....Now that I look at that pics again, I think those rotors are on the wrong sides of the car. I think the left is on the right and....you get the idea. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so. Look at the pics again. The cross-drilled sweep is going the wrong way.

?????

Me
Old 01-07-2001, 09:07 PM

it looks funny but I think its right!
Old 01-07-2001, 09:08 PM

You know Lee....Now that I look at that pics again, I think those rotors are on the wrong sides of the car. I think the left is on the right and....you get the idea. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so. Look at the pics again. The cross-drilled sweep is going the wrong way.

?????

Me
How do you know which side that is by the pic?
Old 01-07-2001, 09:10 PM

Okay, now I feel stupid...I just realized which side it was by where the caliper is. DUH!
Old 01-07-2001, 09:12 PM

It doesn't matter what side it is.....unless the image has been reversed.

The calipers are on the front of the rotor on BOTH sides of the car (fron the factory), in this pic, the rotor is on the rear (unless the Stillen design is like that)..not so sure...but I GOTTA KNOW....Loren....you out there? you have these brakes.

Old 01-08-2001, 02:47 AM
vapors smx

Hey Don,

They would appear to be out of whack. Looks weird to me too as you mentioned it. If you check out Stillen's site under brake systems, it will show you that they are on correctly. They have a picture of the left side caliper and rotor and the whole pattern is sweeping forward also. Man you almost gave me a heart attack LOL.

Old 01-08-2001, 03:42 AM

Will any of these big brake upgrades work with the stock 16 inch wheels?
Old 01-08-2001, 03:45 AM
vapors smx

Originally posted by CFster
Will any of these big brake upgrades work with the stock 16 inch wheels?
Unfortunately, they require a minimum of 17" wheels in order to have it clear the caliper.

Old 01-08-2001, 03:47 AM

Thanks
Old 01-08-2001, 06:35 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

looks ok to me.

?????

Me
Old 01-08-2001, 06:57 AM

The brakes look very nice!

Man...U almost has every MOD need for the max. What will you do next. Hope to see more MOD in the future. great job
Old 01-08-2001, 07:04 AM
vapors smx

Re: The brakes look very nice!

Originally posted by Nightkidz
Man...U almost has every MOD need for the max. What will you do next. Hope to see more MOD in the future. great job
Thanks for the compliments. For the next mod we will be doing the pulley, at least that is the only mod to mention. We dont know what else, maybe some recaro seats. Our local tuner wants to work on a hybrid nos kit that will shut off at 3lbs of boost. It will work off of some pressure guage. I don't know, we pay him to work these things out LOL. Otherwise, we may retire her and go on to the next project car.

Old 01-08-2001, 07:36 AM

Re: Re: The brakes look very nice!

Originally posted by vapors smx
Thanks for the compliments. For the next mod we will be doing the pulley, at least that is the only mod to mention. We dont know what else, maybe some recaro seats. Our local tuner wants to work on a hybrid nos kit that will shut off at 3lbs of boost. It will work off of some pressure guage. I don't know, we pay him to work these things out LOL. Otherwise, we may retire her and go on to the next project car.
VaporsSMX:
This has nothing to do w/ brakes but have you ever had problems w/ the Supercharger and auto tranny setup..I 've heard that they don't last that long ( auto tranny ) w/ the supercharger...Thanks...

FCuco
Old 01-08-2001, 07:44 AM

For DON

>> The calipers are on the front of the rotor on BOTH sides of the car

Not sure what you mean by that. On my '99 the calipers are on the forward side of the rotor in the front, and on the rearward side in the back. In other words, all of the calipers on my car are on the outside edges of the rotors.

Assuming all 4th-gens are the same (are they?) then Lee's pic depicts either the right front rotor or the left rear. I thought the slots were supposed to sweep forward, in the direction of rotor travel (is this right?). If so, then Lee's pic should be the left-rear, in which case it is on correctly. If it is the right front, then it is on wrong, according to the assumptions about slot sweep, as listed above.

-GP
Old 01-08-2001, 07:44 AM
vapors smx

Re: Re: Re: The brakes look very nice!

Originally posted by fcuco
VaporsSMX:
This has nothing to do w/ brakes but have you ever had problems w/ the Supercharger and auto tranny setup..I 've heard that they don't last that long ( auto tranny ) w/ the supercharger...Thanks...

FCuco
There havent been any problems whatsoever, knock on wood and that is even running on higher then stock boost. We do a couple of things though to prevent tranny melt down. Here is what we do:

Dons VB mod
Tranny Cooler
NEVER EVER RUN NEUTRAL DROPS
NEVER EVER RUN THROUGH YOUR GEARS!!
NEVER EVER DOWNSHIFT LIKE YOUR A 5 SPEED
Change the fluid at the onset of discoloration

We have had it since march now and have put on about 7k since the install. We drive it extremely hard and havent noticed any change in the tranny performance(knock on wood)

Hope this helps!!

Old 01-08-2001, 07:51 AM
vapors smx

Re: For DON

Originally posted by GregP
>> The calipers are on the front of the rotor on BOTH sides of the car

Not sure what you mean by that. On my '99 the calipers are on the forward side of the rotor in the front, and on the rearward side in the back. In other words, all of the calipers on my car are on the outside edges of the rotors.

Assuming all 4th-gens are the same (are they?) then Lee's pic depicts either the right front rotor or the left rear. I thought the slots were supposed to sweep forward, in the direction of rotor travel (is this right?). If so, then Lee's pic should be the left-rear, in which case it is on correctly. If it is the right front, then it is on wrong, according to the assumptions about slot sweep, as listed above.

-GP
Hey greg,

Surprisingly that is the right front. It was designed that way with the vents running opposite the slots, opposite the caliper. Dont know why, didnt design them, however each rotor was marked left and right. this one was marked right, hence they are on the right front wheel. I dont know how this effects performance however this is how they were designed and shipped to me. Hope this helps.

Old 01-08-2001, 08:24 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: The brakes look very nice!

Originally posted by fcuco
VaporsSMX:

FCuco
There havent been any problems whatsoever, knock on wood and that is even running on higher then stock boost. We do a couple of things though to prevent tranny melt down. Here is what we do:

Dons VB mod
Tranny Cooler
NEVER EVER RUN NEUTRAL DROPS
NEVER EVER RUN THROUGH YOUR GEARS!!
NEVER EVER DOWNSHIFT LIKE YOUR A 5 SPEED
Change the fluid at the onset of discoloration

We have had it since march now and have put on about 7k since the install. We drive it extremely hard and havent noticed any change in the tranny performance(knock on wood)

Hope this helps!!
Vapors SMX:
Thanks for the info...I was thinking of installing one (SC) on my 96 auto Maxima..By the way I already have the VB from Don (thanks man ) and tranny cooler setup..Thanks again for the info..

FCuco

Old 01-08-2001, 09:18 AM

Interesting. That is backwards from how I thought slotted rotors worked. You learn something new all the time on this forum.

Old 01-08-2001, 10:11 AM
Vic

The brakes look very nice!

My stillen big brakes are in the mail!
vapors! wanna sell me your old pulley once you upgrade yours? i'm dying for more boost!
i'll update everyone
Vic
Old 01-08-2001, 10:37 AM
vapors smx

Hey Vic,

Sure we will sell you the pulley however it probably will not be until next month. Hope thats cool. Send me an email to remind me. Thanks

Old 01-08-2001, 05:10 PM

Big Brakes

Hey Lee,

How are you and your lovely wife Vanessa?

Your new brakes look outstanding and I hope you have a lot of fun with them!!

Everything is fine here in Cleve. except we have a lot of snow. Talk to you soon.

Regards, Ron
Old 01-08-2001, 05:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

DAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMNNNNN !!!

Don
Hey Don. yeah, the problem is that the rotor weighs about 22 lbs. I dont know what stock weighs, however, using the butt dyno, we havent lost anything yet LOL. Hopefully when we go with the 3.25 pulley next month we can replace the lost and add some. Vanessa, my wife, is just very happy that she can now easily stop without worry.
looks really sweet...
but what? 22lbs? isn't that a bit too heavy?
Old 01-08-2001, 06:16 PM

DROOL.

What happened to all the planned Wilwood setups???? Guys?!?!?!?!

Also... $1200 PER SIDE?!??!?! :EEK:
Old 01-08-2001, 06:24 PM
Jesse

Brian,

Nice Saturn...teehee. :-)

Vapor:

Once again nice max. I had no idea the SMC came in autos?

Old 01-08-2001, 06:24 PM
vapors smx

Originally posted by brianw
DROOL.

What happened to all the planned Wilwood setups???? Guys?!?!?!?!

Also... $1200 PER SIDE?!??!?! :EEK:
Actually was under $1799 for both sides. It is a new kit made just for the maxima.
As for the weight factor don't know how much heavier it is then standard cross drilled rotors. Anyone know? But I would rather stop faster then not. Also the 3.25 pully will more then make up for the loss HP.

Old 01-08-2001, 08:39 PM

also

doesn't Brembo also make a big brake kit for our cars? i like Brembo products
Old 01-16-2001, 09:28 PM

I AM RIGHT. I just confirmed with Vapors, but the rotors WERE WRONG.....He is getting it solved, but more important is that I was RIGHT, hehe. Don't get me started Greg, hehe

I love it. Stillen does it again!!!! Punched out two left shoes on one car.

Me

Old 02-09-2001, 01:53 PM

Big Brakes and ABS?

Do the big brake kits (Stillen) work with ABS?