General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How to do a burnout......

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 12:11 PM
Lightly modded

How to do a burnout......

Well, a while ago I tried doing some burnouts with my friend. He has a 2000 Civic with CAI and cat-back. I'm auto. Anyways, we werent positive about how to do a burnout, so basically he just let out the clutch at around 4000 or maybe higher, then pulled up the e-brake. I torque braked, then pulled up my e brake as I started moving. However, neither of us was able to stay in one place and get any smoke. The cars just went forward like it was their business. I have videos of it all too. So what are we doing wrong? In the one video we recorded of my car, my front wheels spin just the right amount to make it look like the wheels arent moving at all, its real cool. Plus my car sounds sooo nice compared to his. Can anybody host the videos? Theyre nothing special...... So should we have pulled up the e-brake before getting on the gas? Is it possible both of out e-brake cables or something isnt working 100%? I know my e-brake works under normal conditions. Any tips? I basically want a video similar to Eric Wong's...... Oh, and dont tell me to put bleach down or anything else even more stupid. This is bad enough for my car.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

auto + burnout =
Old 02-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You are going to f up your tranny.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:14 PM
aka UNCDooD

How to do a Burnout in an Auto:

1. Put the car into 1st gear.
2. Pull the e-brake up and hold tight
3. WOT
4. When it gets close to redline let out a little to lower the RPMs but still spin then give it some gas. Keep repeating that.

That should work. I had a lot of practice with the rental car I had.

oh yea and if anyone here or anyone you know happens to run across a used '02 Grand Am auto from Enterprise DO NOT even think about buying it. lol
Old 02-12-2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by UNCDooD

oh yea and if anyone here or anyone you know happens to run across a used '02 Grand Am auto from Enterprise DO NOT even think about buying it. lol
I'm wondering if the prior owner/driver of your Max is saying the same thing.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by deezo
Just to be safe, don't buy any used rental cars. All of them have been abused some how.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:36 PM
wat

If anyone comes across a '01 White Mitsubishi Galant from Alamo..... please dont open the glove box....
Old 02-12-2003, 01:40 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by heems27

Just to be safe, don't buy any used rental cars. All of them have been abused some how.
I work with a lot of sales people and they motto is "there isn't a rental car alive that can't jump a median." ... moral? Never buy a rental car no matter how it "looks."

Oh, and I love this... "Oh, and dont tell me to put bleach down or anything else even more stupid." That takes the dumb post of the day award! What you're doing is so much worse for your car than bleach could ever be... if you want smoke, use bleach/water/antifreeze but don't think you're not hurting your car because you're not using them.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:45 PM

Re: How to do a burnout......

I think you need to get some pillows first.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:05 PM

Re: Re: How to do a burnout......

Originally posted by CRMax
I think you need to get some pillows first.

- to burn out....... put a crap load of bleach on the front two tires, and gun it...if you dont care for your car, you can do a neutral bomb (put it in neutral, rev up to about 4500 and drop it into drive)
Old 02-12-2003, 02:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: How to do a burnout......

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

- to burn out....... put a crap load of bleach on the front two tires, and gun it...if you dont care for your car, you can do a neutral bomb (put it in neutral, rev up to about 4500 and drop it into drive)

I rented a chevy malibu recently, tried the neutral drop and it killed the rpms before it went into gear...

On top of that, if you tried to rev the motor out of gear it would limit to 3500 and bounce there...

They are getting smarter...

Old 02-12-2003, 03:01 PM

To do a burn out in an auto just
Pull up the e-brake
Put it in first
Foot on the brake all the way
Foot on the gas to about 2000 RPM
Foot off brake and at the same time go WOT

You will sit there and smoke them off for as long as you want.

When the RPM's get to high you can shift into 2nd if you want and it will still smoke.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:37 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

bah! just throw it in neutral....rev away and while the RPM is up..drop it into drive. works everytime....
Old 02-12-2003, 03:53 PM
BJJ

Re: Re: Re: Re: How to do a burnout......

Originally posted by MadMax95

I rented a chevy malibu recently, tried the neutral drop and it killed the rpms before it went into gear...

On top of that, if you tried to rev the motor out of gear it would limit to 3500 and bounce there...

They are getting smarter...

The saturn rental car I got when I was in my wreck recently did the same thing, but there are ways around that, I had to use the tried and true reverse to drive shifts, that got em smokin
Old 02-12-2003, 05:34 PM
Lightly modded

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe

I work with a lot of sales people and they motto is "there isn't a rental car alive that can't jump a median." ... moral? Never buy a rental car no matter how it "looks."

Oh, and I love this... "Oh, and dont tell me to put bleach down or anything else even more stupid." That takes the dumb post of the day award! What you're doing is so much worse for your car than bleach could ever be... if you want smoke, use bleach/water/antifreeze but don't think you're not hurting your car because you're not using them.
I knew this would happen. When I said "Oh, and dont tell me to put bleach down or anything else even more stupid." I was refering to the fact that doing a burnout is bad enough by itself. Now you get the dumb post of the day award!! I realize this is bad for my car. Thanks for your help.

So can anybody tell why my car is dragging? Is it because I didn't pull the e brake up soon enough....like before I hit the gas? I'm guessing my friend (w/ stick) should also just keep the e brake up to begin with. Will doing a simple burnout ie, no brake torquing hurt my tranny that much? I thought most of the stress was from TBing...And no, I would never try a neutral drop...thats too far.

Im guessing nobody wants to host my "awesome" videos.....
Old 02-12-2003, 05:39 PM

no no on the smoke show, but hey its your tranny! I know i dont have 1K to drop on a new tranny...do you?

eric
Old 02-12-2003, 05:43 PM
Lightly modded

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp
no no on the smoke show, but hey its your tranny! I know i dont have 1K to drop on a new tranny...do you?

eric
yes....i do. but i believe a tranny is more than that. btw, how do you like those 12" HE's? I'm probably gonna be getting those soon.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by 95maxrider

yes....i do. but i believe a tranny is more than that. btw, how do you like those 12" HE's? I'm probably gonna be getting those soon.
lol, well excuse me!

haha, but actually i can get a tranny for well under 1K , and yeah, i LOVE the HE's, i had to actually turn my amp down, its set at a little less than half way! They just hit too hard and made the trunk rattle to much, now there jussssst right. Oh and make sure you clamp the sub box good, maybe its my driving but i ripped the brackets out, lol....

Eric
Old 02-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Lightly modded

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp

lol, well excuse me!

haha, but actually i can get a tranny for well under 1K , and yeah, i LOVE the HE's, i had to actually turn my amp down, its set at a little less than half way! They just hit too hard and made the trunk rattle to much, now there jussssst right. Oh and make sure you clamp the sub box good, maybe its my driving but i ripped the brackets out, lol....

Eric
thanks for the tip. yea, ive actually ripped my box off the back of the seat a couple of times from taking turns too fast. now i have 2 monster bolts holding it! how powerful is your amp?
Old 02-12-2003, 07:34 PM

Old 02-12-2003, 08:13 PM

If you can, put some water down on the aera where the front tires will rest. Pull the Ebrake up all the way, and get on the gas. It wont hurt your car as much as doing it in all dry, and you can get it smoking after a few seconds.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by mitch33x

besides that...i think the amp is only like 500watts or something, nothing to big...Its an Alpine so its pretty good. Im not exactly sub savvy, but i can tell you, if your going for ultimate bass and dont want to spend alot, get wolfenhagen (sp?), my friend has them and they HIT

Eric
Old 02-12-2003, 08:29 PM

Get a Manual
Old 02-12-2003, 08:33 PM
aka UNCDooD

Originally posted by deezo

nope I know the guy I bought my car from and I can assure you that he never took the car over 4k RPM. he babies his cars.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:46 PM

Re: How to do a burnout......

Well, a while ago I tried doing some burnouts with my friend. He has a 2000 Civic with CAI and cat-back. I'm auto. Anyways, we werent positive about how to do a burnout, so basically he just let out the clutch at around 4000 or maybe higher, then pulled up the e-brake. I torque braked, then pulled up my e brake as I started moving. However, neither of us was able to stay in one place and get any smoke. The cars just went forward like it was their business. I have videos of it all too. So what are we doing wrong? In the one video we recorded of my car, my front wheels spin just the right amount to make it look like the wheels arent moving at all, its real cool. Plus my car sounds sooo nice compared to his. Can anybody host the videos? Theyre nothing special...... So should we have pulled up the e-brake before getting on the gas? Is it possible both of out e-brake cables or something isnt working 100%? I know my e-brake works under normal conditions. Any tips? I basically want a video similar to Eric Wong's...... Oh, and dont tell me to put bleach down or anything else even more stupid. This is bad enough for my car.
Dude - in your sig it says "Please buy my car!"??? Sure...
Old 02-12-2003, 08:56 PM

for auto u most definitely need to get the ground wet, where the front tires are. leave the ebrake up, put the car in first gear, brake torque a little bit, let off brake, mash the gas, and that should get it going. once it gets going, i keep turning the steering wheel left and right to keep car from moving forward for any reason, and watch the revs, once the wheels start spinning itll hit redline real fast, just careful not to let it bounce off the limiter.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:20 PM
Soul Fly

Re: Re: Re: How to do a burnout......

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
(put it in neutral, rev up to about 4500 and drop it into drive)
OUCH!

Old 02-12-2003, 09:37 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Chris91SE
bah! just throw it in neutral....rev away and while the RPM is up..drop it into drive. works everytime....
more specifically when he says "RPM up".... he means just redline it and drop it into 1st gear. Keep repeating that a couple of times till u can't move and just have the wheels spinning... add bleach to the tires too.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:20 AM
Soul Fly

hit the gas...wear out your tires and hurt tranny...ouch

Old 02-13-2003, 07:27 AM

Do tires have anything to do with this? Cause I have the same problem. I can get mine going on slick or wet surfaces but it just takes off dragging the locked up rear tires. I'm thinking the tires have too much grip and are pulling it off.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by tornado019
Do tires have anything to do with this? Cause I have the same problem. I can get mine going on slick or wet surfaces but it just takes off dragging the locked up rear tires. I'm thinking the tires have too much grip and are pulling it off.
of course! tires have everything to do with it, if you REALLY want a show, get some baldies up front and some stickies out back...

eric
Old 02-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'll never understand what is so fascinating about a burnout? It's not a massive display of power because nearly any car can do a burnout. Simply do like they do at the track, put down water, roll thru, brake on gas, e-brake up, WOT, release brake, spin. Whoop-de-doo. I've watched 120hp Accord autos do burnouts at the track and then run a 17.5. My car does mid 14s and I've never done a burnout at the track or EVER. I drive around the water, rev up to 3000rpms, release the clutch, spin the tires for a split second, I'm ready.

Extended burnouts are bad news, especially for autos. Don't do it. An automatic tranny is just a hydraulic pump. Sitting in one place while going thru 1st and 2nd pushes the tranny temps to critical levels. Next thing you know, a clutch pack explodes spreading it guts throughout the entire tranny. You're tranny is then offically done.

Dave
Old 02-13-2003, 01:33 PM
Lightly modded

Originally posted by Dave B

Extended burnouts are bad news, especially for autos. Don't do it. An automatic tranny is just a hydraulic pump. Sitting in one place while going thru 1st and 2nd pushes the tranny temps to critical levels. Next thing you know, a clutch pack explodes spreading it guts throughout the entire tranny. You're tranny is then offically done.

Dave
thanks for the technical explanation. now i actually know why this is bad. and i dont really plan on doing this anymore...its more so i can tell my civic friend how to do a proper burnout. is there even such a thing as a "proper" burnout? probably not......

and watching weak cars do burnout is fun! my friend had a 92 accord, and he could get lots of smoke.....by popping the clutch at 5000!
Old 02-13-2003, 02:12 PM

The only reason for doing a burnout is if you are at the track and have slicks. Heating up slicks will help traction dramatically. The only reason to burnout with street tires is to clean off any dirt or rocks, AT THE TRACK, like Dave said, spin a little to clean them off.

Burning out/heating up street tires wont do jack, only puts unneccesary stress on the differential/transmission...so dont do it
Old 02-14-2003, 01:04 PM

and watching weak cars do burnout is fun! my friend had a 92 accord, and he could get lots of smoke.....by popping the clutch at 5000!
I watched a guy with an old geo metro hatch, with a 3 cylinder engine do a burnout! That was nuts, a 3 cylinder!!
Old 02-14-2003, 02:35 PM
living out of a maxima...

I would suggest...

I suggest that you slowly pull up to a large, brick or concrete wall. Get close enough so that the front bumper is just barely touching the wall. Then pop it in first and mash on the gas. Your tires will spin, and the car will not go anywhere.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:47 PM

Re: I would suggest...

Originally posted by JeffesonM
I suggest that you slowly pull up to a large, brick or concrete wall. Get close enough so that the front bumper is just barely touching the wall. Then pop it in first and mash on the gas. Your tires will spin, and the car will not go anywhere.

, good one...

eric
Old 02-15-2003, 12:28 PM

Search. Trust me, we have already discussed this. Do a burnout like that auto max in FF.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:03 AM
Lightly modded

Originally posted by 96BLUMAX
Search. Trust me, we have already discussed this. Do a burnout like that auto max in FF.
no....he went from reverse to drive far too fast for my liking. might as well do a neutral drop.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by UNCDooD

That should work. I had a lot of practice with the rental car I had.

Ask sx7r of what adventures we had in the rental cars from enterprise