General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Cracked windshield: repair or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 05:14 PM

Cracked windshield: repair or replace?

A truck coming out of a gravel pit shot a considerable sized rock against my windshield. So now I have a chip with a half-moon shaped crack in my windshield. I have read there are shops out there that can use some sort of resin to avoid the crack from getting larger. Is it worth it?
Has anybody's insurance paid for it w/o having to pay full deductable? I will call them tomorrow but just getting ready for what to expect...
I have Allstate.

I HATE TRUCKS!!

PS: Any idea how much for a genuine Nissan windshield?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2003, 05:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Cracked windshield: repair or replace?

Originally posted by GimmeTorq
A truck coming out of a gravel pit shot a considerable sized rock against my windshield. So now I have a chip with a half-moon shaped crack in my windshield. I have read there are shops out there that can use some sort of resin to avoid the crack from getting larger. Is it worth it?
Has anybody's insurance paid for it w/o having to pay full deductable? I will call them tomorrow but just getting ready for what to expect...
I have Allstate.

I HATE TRUCKS!!

To stop the crack from spreading you need to drill at the ends of the crack. I'd use a Dremel tool with diamond drill. Just saw some glass repair kits at Walmart last Monday. They were over by the wiper blades. It is worth a shot. Hope this helps!

Thanks
Old 02-20-2003, 05:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what's deductible? it is different than collison in this case.

if your deductible is more than 250....repair it.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:59 PM

Thanks guys. Did a search and most people have been pleased with their repaired windshields. I dosn't care if I can see a scar in it. I would rather live with that than with a leaky windshield and $300+ out of my pocket, specially when I know it will happen again sooner or later...

My deductable is $500. I guess I'm calling Allstate tomorrow to find out if they will covered for free or for a reasonable amount ($50-$80). Otherrwise I will arrange the repair myself.

karguy, I wouldn't trust myself with this repair. Thanks for the information anyways.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:30 PM
aka UNCDooD

i used to work for a mobile auto glass shop. i could tell you if it needs to be repaired by seeing it. and installing a windshield is not for the inexperienced. the windshield is in a car at an angle for a reason. it helps support the roof of the car from caving in in the incident of the vehicle being flipped. so, I would stress not to do this if you have no idea how. lol if it caused a piece of the glass to chipp away and its not just a little star in the windshield then it'll need replacing.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

check how windshields are covered through your auto insurance company. I had some horrible streaks that no professional could get out, and was severely affective visibility, and windshield was replaced for free...glass place picked up the deductable.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:21 PM

when i had geico i think upto two replacement windshields were included every year(no deductable neccesary)
Old 02-21-2003, 07:29 AM
Maxima Princess

I'm not sure how big your chips are, but I usually buy a windshield repair kit from pepboys or kragen and fix it myself. I've taken a 1/2 dollar sized chip and make it about 1/2 the size of a dime and it never cracked further. The kits usually cost about $10.

Just a thought.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:02 AM
Sports Button FTW

definitely replace it and when i got my car, front window had a crack on it and to replace and install from a reputable install shop, it cost like 200 i think?
Old 02-21-2003, 08:23 AM

Re: Cracked windshield: repair or replace?

Originally posted by GimmeTorq
I have Allstate.
I HATE TRUCKS!!

Thanks

Most Insurance Co's replace windshields FREE, High liablity, due to affects of driver's visability and passenger's safety ...
Old 02-21-2003, 09:13 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

FYI you could go after the construction company for the replacement... all you do is get the truck's license plate number and the area it was around. We have alot of construction going around my place (building ramp for highway) and my friend was following a gravel truck and a rock bounced outta the truck and hit his windshield. It took the license plate number and the name of the company that was on the side of the Cab.... call them up, and had his windshield replaced by them. I don't know if insurance is involved in that situation...
Old 02-21-2003, 09:18 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Wow, there is a lot of BS in this thread... Anyway, if it's in your line of sight, windshield repair places SHOULD NOT touch it, that's not saying they won't, but due to liability and the laws in most states, if your windshield has a crack that obscures your vision, there not supposed to touch it. Most insurance companies will pay for your repair and waive your deductable. THere is a catch though, once they pay to have it repaired, they won't pay to have it replaced, for that crack only. It is much cheaper to them to pay $45 or so to have your crack fixed than to pay for a whole new windshield. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:04 AM

In most states, insurance companies replace windshields with no deductible. Florida for example. I've had mine replaced twice.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:41 AM

i actually had my windshield repaired by geico once, and they did a great job - they didnt actually replace it, they just filled it in with some sort of material, you cant tell that its been damaged before
Old 02-21-2003, 05:57 PM

Yeah...my friends windsheild cracked and his insurance company fixed it for free so check into that.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the replies... Called my Allstate agent today: They won't replace it unless I pay the deductible ($500). They will pay for the repair.

The crack is away from the line of sight, so I don't think it should be a problem to get it repaired.