General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

5thgen Auto TURBO Maxima joining the boosted community!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 09:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Email him and find out
very nice setup man very clean . One thing did you guys have any trouble with the exhaust piping like space issues, cause thats one thing they had trouble with on the 4th gen auto just no room under the car, just curious if its much different in terms of space.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by dafro

very nice setup man very clean . One thing did you guys have any trouble with the exhaust piping like space issues, cause thats one thing they had trouble with on the 4th gen auto just no room under the car, just curious if its much different in terms of space.
We had to route the pipe about 1/4" under the tranny pan and the piping is slightly lower than normal. So gotta be careful now when going over bumps.

Dixit
Old 02-24-2003, 10:22 AM

We had to route the pipe about 1/4" under the tranny pan and the piping is slightly lower than normal. So gotta be careful now when going over bumps.

Dixit

Any pics of it?
Old 02-24-2003, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by MadMax95

Any pics of it?
Nope, it was snowing all day on the drive back. And I think that is the picture most people wouldnt want to show anyone cause of it being the key.

Dixit
Old 02-24-2003, 10:35 AM
www.autotalk.com

Looking Nice Bro!!!
Old 02-24-2003, 10:36 AM

Dixit
:cough: air ride :cough:
Old 02-24-2003, 10:40 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by thebigsadler

:cough: air ride :cough:
:cough: Squished pipe if slammed :cough:
Old 02-24-2003, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

:cough: Squished pipe if slammed :cough:
And a busted Tranny oil pan.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:51 AM

The pipe goes underneath the tranny oil pan??

Old 02-24-2003, 12:01 PM

The pipe goes underneath the tranny oil pan??

Have you looked under an auto before? Not much room to route it. Its not totally under it, just from the side of the pan.

Dixit
Old 02-24-2003, 12:21 PM

Have you looked under an auto before? Not much room to route it. Its not totally under it, just from the side of the pan.

Dixit
hmm thats interesting we didn't have to route the piping under the tranny pan. I hope ya don't bottom out man that would kinda suck, thats one thing i like with the pfi kit the clearance under the car didn't change at all everything is tucked under the car nicely.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:22 PM

hmm thats interesting we didn't have to route the piping under the tranny pan. I hope ya don't bottom out man that would kinda suck, thats one thing i like with the pfi kit the clearance under the car didn't change at all everything is tucked under the car nicely.
Dont have much of an issue, went over two speed bumps today and no issues there.

Dixit
Old 02-24-2003, 12:24 PM

shhhhh.. no.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:32 PM
Administrator

shhhhh.. no.
bidsagler.. sup homey
Old 02-24-2003, 12:42 PM

Dont have much of an issue, went over two speed bumps today and no issues there.

Dixit
thats cool man, hope you don't have any problems with clearance. I also can't wait to see what your beast puts down on the dyno . Are you planning on doing anything else to tranny too?
Ryan
Old 02-24-2003, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by h2kFrosty
are there any 5th gen 5 speed turbo's done yet?
i got one in the shop right now , should be tearin it up on the streets say in 2ish days?

dafro: i am curious, can we get pics of under your auto, must be dif on 4th gen (I have one on the way) but i definately would not think it is...
unless you run small pipe under there , I see no possible way to keep exact clearance, or to do any better than what I ran? but you always can learn something new i guess! I mean we came out with the 2.5" pipe tucked up in there very well - hardly reducing clearance, like he said 1/4" off the tranny (to keep from rattle, etc) and it is routed to the center of the car away from the pan, right along the black bottom brace... what size pipe do you have under there, and pics?
Old 02-24-2003, 02:27 PM

thats cool man, hope you don't have any problems with clearance. I also can't wait to see what your beast puts down on the dyno . Are you planning on doing anything else to tranny too?
Ryan
Plan on waiting till the tranny blows up first before I do any work, then we will do Posi traction, changed gear ratios, strengthen case and cyro treated gears, the whole nine.

Dixit
Old 02-24-2003, 02:43 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Plan on waiting till the tranny blows up first before I do any work, then we will do Posi traction, changed gear ratios, strengthen case and cyro treated gears, the whole nine.

Dixit

sounds like you made your mind up on this issue.

I would have too
Old 02-24-2003, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by hlh0501

i got one in the shop right now , should be tearin it up on the streets say in 2ish days?

dafro: i am curious, can we get pics of under your auto, must be dif on 4th gen (I have one on the way) but i definately would not think it is...
unless you run small pipe under there , I see no possible way to keep exact clearance, or to do any better than what I ran? but you always can learn something new i guess! I mean we came out with the 2.5" pipe tucked up in there very well - hardly reducing clearance, like he said 1/4" off the tranny (to keep from rattle, etc) and it is routed to the center of the car away from the pan, right along the black bottom brace... what size pipe do you have under there, and pics?
Can we see pics of yours?
Old 02-24-2003, 03:00 PM

Can we see pics of yours?
He is not an auto, he is manual now.

Dixit
Old 02-24-2003, 03:08 PM

the pipes are a little smaller than the normal 5-speed kit, but i will ask pfi if they don't mind me sending some pics to ya.
Ryan
Old 02-24-2003, 03:11 PM

He is not an auto, he is manual now.

Dixit
It's his kit...

I'm not trying to be a pain in the a$$ but I've seen the PFI kit and just wanted to see how you guys solved the difficult problem...

If it is such a big secret, he shouldn't be asking to see how PFI did it...

My $0.02

Old 02-24-2003, 03:33 PM

If it is such a big secret, he shouldn't be asking to see how PFI did it...
it is not a big secret, I allow pics of my kit out, , infact i even put them in my vids (see: comp II) unfortunately I do not have any pics from under the auto 5th gen w/ the exhaust on

here is the underside of the 5spd one , with the exhaust sitting up in there making clearance perfect. on the auto we just came closer over to the left side of the pic by the black beam
Old 02-24-2003, 04:46 PM

The new piping is run completely different from the manual tranny piping. Hal is right, no room under the car which is partly why this particular project took so long. Nothing hangs down now on the automatic. The first thing that will hit is the center crossmember and there's not much you can do about that! The piping is way shorter than the manual version which may help spool quicker.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:24 PM

unless i go 5speed swap i doubt i have enough clearance for the turbo piping... even with 5speed the piping still sits lower than the y-pipe now, so with my 1.5" of clearance on the y-pipe now what hope is there?

some people would say, just dont drop your car all the way down.. and thats retarded.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:18 PM

I told you that you wouldn't be able to stay off of the gas on the way home!
Looks great and sound like alot of fun. I am really glad you went turbo.....cuz I got your SC.
I might be there in June, SO Maybe I can get a ride.
Congrats once again.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by LatinMax
I told you that you wouldn't be able to stay off of the gas on the way home!
Looks great and sound like alot of fun. I am really glad you went turbo.....cuz I got your SC.
I might be there in June, SO Maybe I can get a ride.
Congrats once again.
June? what you gonna be doing here then? visiting or moving here?

Dixit
Old 02-24-2003, 08:44 PM

My daughter got diagnosed with diabetes about a 15 months ago (like me, 31 years of it) and she has been delegated as the ambassador of Texas for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. They have 200 kids that are going to talk in front of congress (put a face with the diseases) to try to get the goverment to alocate more money to finding a cure. The goverment has the funds but don't alocate them to Diabetes.
We will be there for about a week.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:46 PM

Naaaa....I'm just flying up there to get a ride in your new turbo Maxima.

Really,
My daughter got diagnosed with diabetes about a 15 months ago (like me, 31 years of it) and she has been delegated as the ambassador of Texas for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. They have 200 kids that are going to talk in front of congress (put a face with the diseases) to try to get the goverment to alocate more money to finding a cure. The goverment has the funds but don't alocate them to Diabetes.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by LatinMax
Naaaa....I'm just flying up there to get a ride in your new turbo Maxima.

Really,
Damn so youve had it since you were a kid? That is tough to deal with. My grandpa has it, my pops now, and history shows most likely I will.

I'll give you a ride when you roll down. Good luck with your daughter. 3months ago I fought oral cancer. Scary, but hopefully it is all out now.

Dixit
Old 02-24-2003, 08:56 PM

Thanks
Old 02-25-2003, 01:36 AM

Old 02-25-2003, 05:51 AM

it is not a big secret, I allow pics of my kit out, , infact i even put them in my vids (see: comp II) unfortunately I do not have any pics from under the auto 5th gen w/ the exhaust on

here is the underside of the 5spd one , with the exhaust sitting up in there making clearance perfect. on the auto we just came closer over to the left side of the pic by the black beam
I like your kit, but the clearance thing is the only problem I see...

How much clearance does it eliminate? I'm sitting on GC's so I am kind of low in comparison...
Old 02-25-2003, 07:35 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

How much clearance does it eliminate? I'm sitting on GC's so I am kind of low in comparison...
How low are you? I'm sitting on JICs with about 1 finger gap between the wheel well and the tire.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:50 AM

How low are you? I'm sitting on JICs with about 1 finger gap between the wheel well and the tire.
You may be a bit lower than where I'm at but, you have the PFI kit don't you?

Oh, and fatter fingers than I do...

j/k
Old 02-25-2003, 08:22 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

You may be a bit lower than where I'm at but, you have the PFI kit don't you?

Oh, and fatter fingers than I do...

j/k
Yes, I have the PFI kit.

I bet I have skinnier fingers than you.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:02 PM

Clearance? eliminates none for the 5spd as it tucks up in there well (same height as the black factory piece).. auto, I am not sure exactly how much it reduces it by, but not a lot...

still waiting on pics to see how this auto kit has exact clearance? and dafro you said "the pipes are a little smaller than the normal 5-speed kit", what size are the normal 5spd kit and what size did you get? I am still boggled on how you could get a 2.5" downpipe like mine to fit anywhere without losing any clearance..

sorry, the only pic i had ever seen of pfi's was only up for a day or two and was hanging very low , non-mandrel bent downpipe? I dont know the story behind that though - - just curious to see the better version now?
Old 02-25-2003, 10:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 5thgen Auto TURBO Maxima joining the boosted community!

damn dix.. thats off the chain, i need to save up some cash and get my *** down there and get my car all boosted.

where are the front mount pics?

tisk .. tisk......
Old 02-25-2003, 10:22 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

sorry, the only pic i had ever seen of pfi's was only up for a day or two and was hanging very low , non-mandrel bent downpipe? I dont know the story behind that though - - just curious to see the better version now?
That was a buggy version Roadbeast/Supai91 had. I was basically dragging on the floor. Serves him right for ripping people off.

My piping is mandrel bent and made with aluminized steel.

2.5" y-pipe/up-pipe and 3" down-pipe.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:39 PM

wheel gap is cute keving

Quick Reply: 5thgen Auto TURBO Maxima joining the boosted community!