General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Did everyone recieve the free checkup pamplet from Nissan?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 10:17 AM
Shiver me timbers.

Did everyone recieve the free checkup pamplet from Nissan?

I recieved mine a couple of days ago in the mail and was wondering if everyone recieved these. If you didn't, here are the things that they are inspecting:

Engine, Transmission, Differential, Fuel System, Air Filter, Battery, Headlights, Wiper Linkage, Steering Linkage, Front and Rear Shocks/Struts, Springs, CV Boots, Alignment, Steering Fliud Leaks, Tire Condition, Fuel Tank Leaks, Lights, Fluid Levels, Radiator, Radiator Hoses, Radiator Leaks, Radiator Belts, Brake Linings, Rotors/Drums, Calipers, Wheel Cylinders, Parking Brake, Air Conditioning, Heating, Muffler, Exhaust Resonator, Exhaust Pipes, Exhaust Brackets.

They are going to check all of these things for free which I thought was pretty cool.

Moderators,if this is a repost please delete.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:23 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Did everyone recieve the free checkup pamplet from Nissan?

Originally posted by maxfanfromohio
I recieved mine a couple of days ago in the mail and was wondering if everyone recieved these. If you didn't, here are the things that they are inspecting:

Engine, Transmission, Differential, Fuel System, Air Filter, Battery, Headlights, Wiper Linkage, Steering Linkage, Front and Rear Shocks/Struts, Springs, CV Boots, Alignment, Steering Fliud Leaks, Tire Condition, Fuel Tank Leaks, Lights, Fluid Levels, Radiator, Radiator Hoses, Radiator Leaks, Radiator Belts, Brake Linings, Rotors/Drums, Calipers, Wheel Cylinders, Parking Brake, Air Conditioning, Heating, Muffler, Exhaust Resonator, Exhaust Pipes, Exhaust Brackets.

They are going to check all of these things for free which I thought was pretty cool.

Moderators,if this is a repost please delete.
LOL...check...ROFL...check....LOL...check

Man, if this actually happened it would be great. But usually its a way to "drum" up business. They find like a billion things wrong and try to sell it to you as a safety hazard.

Short of the brake linings, most of the stuff is inspectable in no time.

I would like to know how they are going to inspect the Tranny and diff?

Not trying to be a jerk but its companies like this that take advantage of "unknowing" people. Most of that "inspection" stuff is in the manual and should be done fairly regularly.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Re: Did everyone recieve the free checkup pamplet from Nissan?

Originally posted by Colonel
its a way to "drum" up business.
It's called Marketing.

It's a free inspection, you don't have to let them perform any work. When's the last time you had your car up on a lift and really took a look under it to spot any potential problems?
Old 03-03-2003, 11:14 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Re: Did everyone recieve the free checkup pamplet from Nissan?

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

It's called Marketing.

It's a free inspection, you don't have to let them perform any work. When's the last time you had your car up on a lift and really took a look under it to spot any potential problems?
Honestly? Two weeks ago?

And to note, I dont disagree with having someone look at it. Its just I have seen to many "greasy" shops take advantage of people that dont know any better and get bilked out of money they did not really need to spend.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:16 AM
It's chrome alright...

keep the pamphlet... have them look then leave no matter what they say.

then go back in a few weeks and have them look again and see if they find the same stuff "wrong"

I doubt they will.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:19 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

I got that pamphlet too last week. It's pretty pointless having them do the checkup... they'll probably require keeping the car for a whole day. I can't afford that.. and the possibility of them ****in something on purpose just to get it repaired worries me too! (altho i doubt that ever happens...)
Old 03-03-2003, 11:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by nadir_s
I got that pamphlet too last week. It's pretty pointless having them do the checkup... they'll probably require keeping the car for a whole day. I can't afford that.. and the possibility of them ****in something on purpose just to get it repaired worries me too! (altho i doubt that ever happens...)
don't doubt it - it happens every day.

No mechanic will ever see my car again after the things I've been through - and other people on this board have seen 10x worse than I have.

If I have to swap my own engine in the rain in my back yard, I'll do it.....no mechanics...period.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:56 PM
Shiver me timbers.

I have no intentions of having them fix anything. I am no mechanic and it would be nice to know, if anything, is wrong with my car. I would take it somewhere cheaper to have it fixed. Screw dealerships.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:51 PM

I already made my appointment to have them check my car out..i know they is nothing wrong but doesn't hurt right...i wonder if they can check my y-pipe that i just installed a week ago...it's making this squeaking sound that i want to get rid off...if they do find something wrong i'll go some place cheaper to have them fix...
Old 03-04-2003, 08:50 AM

I made an appt, and they said the whole procedure takes about 45 minutes to an hour. I think it's a wonderfull thing if your DIY mechanic. This way, they can give you a neat little list of things you may or may not have known were bad or in need of replacement. Then get the handy old Haynes manual and get to work!
Old 03-04-2003, 09:07 AM
Shiver me timbers.

Originally posted by Capitone
I made an appt, and they said the whole procedure takes about 45 minutes to an hour. I think it's a wonderfull thing if your DIY mechanic. This way, they can give you a neat little list of things you may or may not have known were bad or in need of replacement. Then get the handy old Haynes manual and get to work!

Those were my thoughts exactly.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:09 AM
pmg

except they'll tell you to replace things that are fine. 12 years of driving cars - several with 120,000 miles + and I've never touched a rotor yet. They'll tell you you will die on the way home unless they put new ones on.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:58 PM

True. But if your someone who's worked on your own car a few times, you'll probably know better than to make a big deal out of a report telling you your brakes have worn 25% percent, and you only have 75% pad left or your rotors are old so they need replacing . I'll ignore stuff like that. Im sure they'll probably have something detrimental to say about my FrankenCar intake too, but hey....I know better.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by nadir_s
and the possibility of them ****in something on purpose just to get it repaired worries me too! (altho i doubt that ever happens...)
That was my exact thought as well. Maybe I'm just way too paranoid.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:09 PM

i didnt get a pamphlet but i did some survey online to get a "leather" nissan cd case thing..i think it holds like a lil more than 20 cds
Old 03-05-2003, 12:09 AM

Re: Re: Re: Did everyone recieve the free checkup pamplet from Nissan?

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

It's called Marketing.

Absolutely correct. Just like the way they recommend service every 7500--check this, check that, check this, check that. I doubt they really check jack. Those bozos can't even find fluid leaks and tell you 1 quart every 1000 miles is normal, and don't worry about the tranny it's a slow leak as is the power steering rack.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:44 AM

WTF are 'Radiator Belts'?

I was considering doing this just to get a list of what (if anything) needs to be fixed on my car and then do it myself but I am not sure if it is worth my time.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:25 AM

The results

Heres what nissan had to say about Maxeen and how much they estimated it would cost if they fixed it:

Oil leak at oil pressre Switch - $60: Should be an easy fix. My research indicates it will be a 20 minute job with the part coming in at around $20.

Rear Brakes need replacement - $179: Piece of cake. Can get the part for under $30 and finish the job in 40 minutes.

Both Outer CV Boots need replacement - $330: May be a challenge. I'll have to size up the job before I attempt it on my own.

Pws Steering Rack Leaking - $770: I haven't the slightest idea where to begin with this one

So it looks like the check up was worth it. Now to do some research on this Steering Rack thing. If anyone here has information, please.....Hook it Up!
Old 03-07-2003, 02:26 PM

Re: The results

Heres what nissan had to say about Maxeen and how much they estimated it would cost if they fixed it:

Oil leak at oil pressre Switch - $60: Should be an easy fix. My research indicates it will be a 20 minute job with the part coming in at around $20.

Rear Brakes need replacement - $179: Piece of cake. Can get the part for under $30 and finish the job in 40 minutes.

Both Outer CV Boots need replacement - $330: May be a challenge. I'll have to size up the job before I attempt it on my own.

Pws Steering Rack Leaking - $770: I haven't the slightest idea where to begin with this one

So it looks like the check up was worth it. Now to do some research on this Steering Rack thing. If anyone here has information, please.....Hook it Up!
I hate the dealers. or mechanics. The entire automotive service industry is so freakin shady, tryin to rip you off left and right, saying this is wrong that is wrong. I GUARENTEE YOU you can take a car you just drove off the dealer's lot with 1 mile on it and they'd be able to find something "wrong".

The oil pressure switch leak, dude its a $5 part. and even if you have to go out and buy the 1 1/16" 6 point deep well to do it with, its still less then $15.

Just like I had one guy tell me to reweld a pipe on an already made pipe for my C5 was $70, or how this other shop said $90 to pull both rear rotors and machine them. I'm sure I can drum up more but it just makes me so irritable they can go around and rip you off like that. And the worst part is, soooooo many people fall victim.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:31 PM
Pointy Elbows

Yeah I got one too a couple weeks ago. I was thinking of posting a thread about it too. Maybe I'll call for an appointment since I'm on spring break and all.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:16 AM

Re: The results

Wow! The dealer just replaced my power steering rack. I still have a warranty on my car so it was free but I had no idea it cost that much. I changed my rack on my Pontiac 6000 before. I don't know how much harder it is on a Max but it took like 2 1/2 hours and was pretty straightforward. If I didn't have a warranty, I would have probably attacked it myself. Check it out in the Haynes manual to see how hard it looks. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:00 AM
Shiver me timbers.

I got my free check-up done the other day. My muffler is stock and barely holding on and rather than saying it needs immediate attention, they just noted that it needs attention. It is so bad that you can hear it banging on the under body of the car. It got so annoying, I don't even drive the car anymore. Other than that the only other thing they noted was that it needed an air filter. The car is completely stock with 140k on it. Either the car is holding together real well or they did a half a$$ job. I think they did a half a$$ job.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:35 AM

Re: Re: The results

Originally posted by maxhead

Wow! The dealer just replaced my power steering rack. I still have a warranty on my car so it was free but I had no idea it cost that much. I changed my rack on my Pontiac 6000 before. I don't know how much harder it is on a Max but it took like 2 1/2 hours and was pretty straightforward. If I didn't have a warranty, I would have probably attacked it myself. Check it out in the Haynes manual to see how hard it looks. Good luck.
Yeah, thats the price they qouted me. I've looked in the Haynes manual, but there is no terminology that directly refers to a "Power Steering Rack", so for the moment, Im not quite sure if it is Part which needs replacing, or an entire system. I called the dealership to try and get an idea of what needed to be done, but all I could confirm was this "leak" is not something which can simply be sealed. The search goes on.