General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Transmission help (kinda long)...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 05:25 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Transmission help (kinda long)...

So here's what happened (transmission was totally fine before this)...

On my way home from PepBoys the other day coming to a stop light in 5th gear, the transmission wouldnt release out of 5th gear...it was stuck there. It finally 'let go' and I was able to put it into neutral at the light.

I fiddled around there in the middle of the busy intersection not being able to get into any gear at all and finally called a friend and we pushed it out of intersection into a parking lot.

I turn it off and we fiddle around with it and finally it just goes into 1st. Turn the car on and start to drive it home. A block away from the house it got totally stuck in 2nd gear and the clutch wouldnt seem to engage. I had to stop at a stop sign and the car died from being in gear. We had to push it home from there.

There's no leaks at all that I can see. The clutch master cylinder fluid shows at the normal level and I cant find any fluid leaks anywhere at all. The clutch pedal feels funny. It doesnt go totally to the floor or anything, but it just doesnt feel 'up to par'.

A couple people on the 'other' 3rd gen forum suggested clutch slave cylinder/master cylinder (but that they also had visible/obvious leaks, which, I dont).

Does this sound like an actual internal transmission problem (i.e. needing a rebuild, busted clutch, etc?)? I dont have the money for a shop to do ALL the labor, so if it's a problem that's gonna need internal work I'll have to drop the tranny myself and take it in. Anyone experienced anything like this? I guess I just kinda need to know if I should start to take it out. I havent really had any transmission problems before on any car so I dont really know how to go about diagnosing this stuff. TIA
Old 03-11-2003, 09:48 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

rebuilding a tranny costs a ****load of money... even w/ it OFF the car!!

I'm guessing you might have bad syncros?
Old 03-11-2003, 10:47 PM

It definately sounds as if the clutch is not completely
disengaging. You need to see if the clutch slave cylinder
is moving the fork that pushes on the throwout bearing.
You obviously can't see inside the bell housing to see
anything wrong with the clutch assembly but you can see
if the fork is moving reasonably. If it is, then the
problem is inside the transmission. If it's not moving,
or not moving enough, then it's master or slave cylinder.