General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Warpspeed Y-pipe update

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2001, 02:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, I installed it Wednesday night, and have been driving hard all week to test it out. There is definetly a power gain, not dissimilar to the Cattman SS pipe. One very distinctive feature is that it is loud. It sounds like I am running a turbo now. I like the sound, as it is only audible under WOT. Just cruising on the interstate, I can barely hear it of I turn the radio off. The flex section is actually flexible, like factory. This was also the best fitting pipe I have installed. I am supposed to dyno either this weekend or this coming week. I'll post results of the before/after dyno charts. Also, the collector pipe appears to be a little more restrictive then the Cattman SS, and the welds aren't as pretty. However, I also have an experimental pipe, and I am sure that they will improve the design. There are no clearance problems with this pipe either, and it sits way above the cross member. I will post pics when I get my camera back.
Old 01-13-2001, 05:03 PM

Bill, this has nothing to do with the y-pipe, but I'm wondering do you have any pics of your car with the Cuzo sidemarkers? I just installed mine, and it looks great. I just want to do a comparison on how mine look compared to yours. And I put hyperwhite bulbs in, it looks better. However, I got a set of amber bulbs(cheapo ones from Auto Zone) just in case. Also, did you put any type of special adhesive or something that will make it hard for a potential thief to steal your sidemarkers? That's the only worry I have now. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2001, 10:40 PM
ssy

slick,

definitely keep us posted! can you describe the sound? is it a deep growl or more of a drone?

I want more details! How does it feel? Did you get SS or aluminized?

Thanks!

PS just as good as cattman or stillen, you think?
Old 01-13-2001, 11:09 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

are headers next for warpspeed?

: open market there.
Old 01-14-2001, 10:57 AM

I'm not sure about the headers

As far as the sound, it sounds exactly like a Turbo. It whines more then anything else with a little low rumble. It is also only noticable when your accelerating. I can really feel an increase in the powerband around 4400 RPM. Second and first aren't much faster, but 70-120 is a lot faster then before. I am pretty sure that it is SS. IMHO, I think the build quality is about the same as Cattman. However, this pipe fit better then Stillen or Cattman. I didn't have to force it to bolt on to the car. Everything lined up perfectly.
Old 01-14-2001, 12:45 PM

I wonder if there are any power gain diff between Warpspeed vs Cattman vs Stillen. Anyone know if a 99 cali model y-pipe is available? I also know its cheaper then Cattman and Stillen. Anyone else got one?
Old 01-14-2001, 12:52 PM

Where can I get one of these Y-Pipes?
Old 01-14-2001, 01:00 PM
OG :)

Originally posted by Maxima97GLE
Where can I get one of these Y-Pipes?
http://www.warpspeedperformance.com

whoa! sounds really good. non-stainless works here
Old 01-14-2001, 07:12 PM

I see they have 2 versions: 1 aluminum and one SS. The SS is $100 more. Does the SS outlast the aluminum? What are any other differences? ANy warranties against rust, welds breaking, etc??? If my wife keps her job, I may get one of these bad boys. If she doesn't-I'll have to float her butt and no new toys 4 me for a while. :-(
Old 01-14-2001, 07:38 PM
My 4DSC

I find it odd that WarpSpeed ONLY makes parts for the GRAND CHEROKEE and the NISSAN MAXIMA.
What's up with that?
I wonder what made them pick those 2 vehicles...LOL.

Old 01-14-2001, 08:38 PM

WarpSpeedPerformance info

In response to the last post about WarpSpeed only making parts for the Maxima's and Jeep Grand Cherokees. We picked these particular vehicles because we drive them and there is a market for intake/exhaust components. Half the battle when designing exhaust components is having access to the car you want to make a product for.We are a small company that is growing.We will be adding new products as soon as we finish up with the Maximas and Jeeps.
Old 01-14-2001, 08:52 PM

OK but what about warranties and diff's between the two materials...
Old 01-14-2001, 09:05 PM

WarpSpeed questions

I would suggest you do a search. The topic of differences between the 2 metals has been answered in detail by Dallas (BMFJEEP) on several occcasions. As far as warrenties go, did you check out our web site? There is a page that speaks to this question directly. Dan WSP
Old 01-15-2001, 06:58 AM

Got the post regarding Alum v. SS materials. Sounds like the difference is just with corrosion resistance but any such a claim is merely implied by BMFJEEP. As far as the warranty...

"For a period of 2 years from purchase date WarpSpeedPerformance, at our discretion; will resolve issues of defects in materials or workmanship in our fabricated "Y" pipes and mid pipes. "

The warranty is expressly limited to DEFECTS IN MATERIALS OR WORKMANSHIP only. Therefore if a weld breaks, your company agrees to repair or replace the product. There appears to be no corrosion warranty which worries me a little bit. I live in IA and we get lost of snow (sand and salt thereafter) so it sounds like I'd be a candidate for a ss pipe. But I am hesitant now w/o a corrosion warranty for at least 3 years or so.

I am very happy to see you guys create and market aftermarket parts for Maxima owners and would like to support you by purchasing one or more of your products. Since you are a new company with limited if any history regarding the life of your products, I believe you should consider adding or including a warranty against corrosion for a specified period of time for the Aluminum or SS pipe. Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-15-2001, 07:42 AM
STFU n00b!

Without trying to jump your case, just how long has your stock exhaust lasted up there? My original exhaust is in great shape, and my car is 8 years old. An aluminized pipe is made of the same thing as my OEM exhaust, so you'd figure it's good for at least 8 years. The SS pipe should theoretically last forever since it won't rust. How much more can you ask for?
Old 01-15-2001, 08:24 AM

You're not jumping my case, I appreciate your input. I know that some competitors offer a rust guarantee/warranty and I figured that the 3 years figure would be minimal but would help to comfort me. I really an not educated regarding metalergy (sp?) and don't know the oxidation rates for different metals along with any type of coatings, weld types that may enhance rusting or reduce its effects... That's why I suggested the warranty include the rustproof language. I could always flip your argument that the pipes last 8 years and I should't worry to say: " if the pipe easily last 8+ years then offering a warranty against rust would further the products advertising boasts and display the manufacturer's confidence in its product without any additional cost(s) to the manufacturer since no rust will occur."

Also, I did not know that our exhaust components were aluminized... I will still consider products offered by Warpspeed, but remain hesitant w/o the rust issue addressed.
Old 01-15-2001, 09:02 PM

How loud is it compared to Cattman and Stillen? Is it only at WOT or at other throttle positions?
Old 01-16-2001, 10:19 AM
I'm needing a caw

I have no data on this, but I wouldn't count on aftermarket exhaust pipe to last as long as oem pipe unless it was ss steel.

And you guys shouldn't really worry too much about the hp diff between Cattman, Warp and Stillen. I don't think the designs are that different to give either a noticable gain. What you should be concerned about is two things:

1) Fit and finish
2) Quality of the materials.
3) Big one here. Type of flex section. If it ain't lined, it's noise city here. I had the OG VE Y from Cattman. The quality of that flex was definately not a quality piece.

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
Without trying to jump your case, just how long has your stock exhaust lasted up there? My original exhaust is in great shape, and my car is 8 years old. An aluminized pipe is made of the same thing as my OEM exhaust, so you'd figure it's good for at least 8 years. The SS pipe should theoretically last forever since it won't rust. How much more can you ask for?
Old 01-16-2001, 06:18 PM

Please

Keep us posted.. and pics As soon as you get a chance..

Ant
Old 01-16-2001, 10:55 PM

well im goin to stick with my previous plan of the Cattman SS Y-pipe and the Apex'i catback exhaust... i heard the warpspeed y-pipe isnt as good at the cattman for my 97
Old 01-17-2001, 02:30 AM

Well, there is no way to tell yet if one is better. I have a prototype pipe that will be modified before production....there hasn't been a 4th gen y-pipe in production yet! I will be dynoing my prototype pipe on this friday. I'll let you know what the gains are compared to stock.
Old 01-19-2001, 08:04 PM
OG :)

let us know how everything went with the dyno. thanks
Old 01-20-2001, 12:25 AM
STFU n00b!

Bill and I just got back from Tulsa..
With the Y pipe, he gained 6 hp and 8 tq over his stock peaks.

Mine was 5-6hp higher than stock, and I don't remember what peak torque was. we've both got both dyno charts that we'll scan and post later.
Old 01-20-2001, 05:46 AM

can't wait to see the mid range power gains. n/t

n/t
Old 01-20-2001, 12:32 PM

SS vs Aluminized

I notice that the Warpspeed SS pipe states that it is a 400 series SS. I don't know what the others are but 400 series SS is less expensive than 300 series and is not as corrosion resistant. I think it has more nickel which makes it harder than 300 series. Not saying this is bad, just wanted to add me 2 cents as I'm considering a Y pipe now. Anyone know if it's ok to wrap these pipes, either aluminized or SS to reduce heat and maybe sound. Or is this a waste of time & money.
Old 01-20-2001, 03:27 PM

304SS vs. 409SS

If apologise for misposting. See my post under 304SS vs. 409ss. I must have hit the new post by mistake. Dan WSP
Old 01-20-2001, 04:00 PM

So Dan

what is your opinion on using header wrap on your pipe, good, bad, indifferent?
Old 01-20-2001, 07:44 PM

Header wrap

I personally have no experience with it. I am one who likes a louder system so noise dosn't bother me. Our pipe is no louder than the Cattman model. Y-pipes will add noise. Just look at yout stock pipe and then ours. I wouldn't forsee problems with header wrap.It will probably quiet it down some. Why not post and ask the question or do a search under header wrap? As far as lined flex sections, I asked 2 exhaust experts today and they said the version we use is condidered the best. They had not heard of a lined version. If any one has please us at WarpSpeedPerformance.com so we can look into it. Thanks, Dan WSP
Old 01-20-2001, 07:54 PM

Re: Header wrap

Originally posted by Dan 93 SE
I personally have no experience with it. I am one who likes a louder system so noise dosn't bother me. Our pipe is no louder than the Cattman model. Y-pipes will add noise. Just look at yout stock pipe and then ours. I wouldn't forsee problems with header wrap.It will probably quiet it down some. Why not post and ask the question or do a search under header wrap? As far as lined flex sections, I asked 2 exhaust experts today and they said the version we use is condidered the best. They had not heard of a lined version. If any one has please us at WarpSpeedPerformance.com so we can look into it. Thanks, Dan WSP
Dan, I'm ready to buy your alumized pipe for a 95 SE
Old 01-20-2001, 08:28 PM

WarpSpeed purchases

Glad to hear it. Your best bet is pay pal. Go to our site. If you can't figure it out use the 800#. Dallas will walk you through it. You will like the power gains. Thanks Dan WSP
Old 01-20-2001, 08:31 PM

Re: WarpSpeed purchases

Dan
Is the 5th gen pipe available?
is there any way i can prototype one.
I wouldn't mind.
BTW I'm the guy at the texas meet with the grey 2k max.

give me some info
Tell me prices too
Old 01-21-2001, 02:09 PM

Yes your site is easy to buy from w/paypal, my preference is cc bc I get a 2% rebate. BTW does paypal charge a fee to the recipient of the funds?
Old 01-21-2001, 02:30 PM

Dan, I don't want to sound like I'm yelling but...

PROJECTION HEADLIGHTS PROJECTION HEADLIGHTS PROJECTION HEADLIGHTS PROJECTION HEADLIGHTS PROJECTION HEADLIGHTS
Old 01-21-2001, 03:24 PM

WarpSpeed stuff

There is a very minimal charge that is billed to us. Please e-mail Dallas for specifics Dallas@WarpSpeedperformance.com . We would be happy to accept a CC, again talk to Dallas for details. It's very easy.

As far as the projection headlights goe, I know nothing about them. Please e-mail me or post here about them, with web sites. We are always looking for new products to develop or improve an already existing one. What are the company names who produce them. Also, anyone else e-mail us with ideas, we listen. Thanks Dan WSP
Old 01-21-2001, 05:13 PM

I will buy this pipe IF

I can see the dyno gains compared to cattman, like you did with the 3rd gen. Have they been done yet, and if not when will they? Thanks I am still anxious to get this pipe...